InfernaDeus

Great game, so little players.

When atlas first came out you would have new players every day. Thousands of players. Yes, offline raiding was a big issue and it was hard to get a safe claim, but there were players and it was possible to join up and raid yourself. Now you can build multiple galleons without seeing a single person... I've done it myself and it just gets boring. I was playing Ark when the servers wiped but I've heard it didn't go very well. Apparently there was a 10 day gap where nobody could play while the servers wiped. IDK if this is true but if it is, then that must be a massive reason why the servers have no more than 500 players per cluster (at once).
On Ark the unofficials servers wipe when they go dead, or have a schedule, i know that Atlas should not wipe on a regular basis but it needs a wipe, badly. New ark official servers always have very high population. I would love to play this game properly but it seems a waste of time with only a couple players on each grid, if any. Does anyone know when/if they wipe soon.
If the devs or community managers could manage to let people know they are wiping. that would be great. Not just announce it but try and spread the word to as many former and new atlas players as possible. And not to have a massive gap where the servers are down.
I love atlas but PVP just isnt PVP at the moment.

38 minutes ago, InfernaDeus said:

When atlas first came out you would have new players every day. Thousands of players. Yes, offline raiding was a big issue and it was hard to get a safe claim, but there were players and it was possible to join up and raid yourself. Now you can build multiple galleons without seeing a single person... I've done it myself and it just gets boring. I was playing Ark when the servers wiped but I've heard it didn't go very well. Apparently there was a 10 day gap where nobody could play while the servers wiped. IDK if this is true but if it is, then that must be a massive reason why the servers have no more than 500 players per cluster (at once).
On Ark the unofficials servers wipe when they go dead, or have a schedule, i know that Atlas should not wipe on a regular basis but it needs a wipe, badly. New ark official servers always have very high population. I would love to play this game properly but it seems a waste of time with only a couple players on each grid, if any. Does anyone know when/if they wipe soon.
If the devs or community managers could manage to let people know they are wiping. that would be great. Not just announce it but try and spread the word to as many former and new atlas players as possible. And not to have a massive gap where the servers are down.

The notion that a wipe will attract players is one that I frankly find mind boggling and an erroneous holdover from Ark.  On Battlemetrics unofficlal Ark servers announce as part of their server name the date of their wipe, often with names like FreshWipe 8/27 then a list of mods etc. This is useful because Ark as an established hit with not only millions of players but upwards of 30 or 40 thousand total seperate servers, a new server needs something to set it apart from others and attract players. However Ark is fundamentally different from Atlas in that it is not attempting to build itself around a few massive official game worlds that are each many times a single ARk servers size. This creates a fundamentally different dynamic.

Beyond that, the two don't compare well just because of their relative success. Ark is a major hit game. Atlas so far is a notorious flop and the industry poster child for how not to do an Early Access. The lack of players here in Atlas isn't due to legions sitting on the sideline hoping for a wipe to jump in and play a game they'd love to be part of if only the devs would wipe the servers. No, it is a game that is currently failing hard because it has lived up to little and less of the promise it lured gamers into it's EA launch with. How do I know this? Because I've been here the entire time and see what people say both ingame and on the forums. They are leaving in droves because of fundamental issues left unresolved and sometimes even unaddressed, because of a lack of meaningful content initially and little to none added since that got anyone excited.

The recent dev livestream made it fairly apparent that despite this lack of content, the devs have not been working on new content for some time and instead are focused on the game's XBox release. Putting aside the questionable decision to launch a game on Xbox which failed hard on PC and that you haven't altered meaningfully since it's flop, ask yourself this as a player: Would I want to come back and invest my time in a game that has not measurably improved itself or added to it's extremely barebones (some have argued barely a game) release state in a year? Because by the time XBox is released, Atlas will very likely be a year out from it's initial EA launch or close enough that it makes no matter.

This being the case wiping won't bring people back because they didn't leave for reasons that a wipe would resolve.

The 10 day gap, is this true? surely that would have a massive impact because people who came from ark to play atlas would probably join an ark server and play that instead when the servers actually wiped. I know the majority are not ark players.

Edited by InfernaDeus

Because of auto destruct and people losing interest, our lawless island is almost totally empty. It looks more empty than it did when I got there the day after the last wipe. I have even asked my neighbors to join me before they quit just so their buildings won’t self destruct. I will keep playing regardless of a wipe because I like the game but I have no idea what the benefits would be on PVE. 

Yeah a wipe wouldnt help pve. But if the only the pvp servers wiped it might bring population to the pve server without them wiping.

12 hours ago, Gomez Addams said:

Because of auto destruct and people losing interest, our lawless island is almost totally empty. It looks more empty than it did when I got there the day after the last wipe. I have even asked my neighbors to join me before they quit just so their buildings won’t self destruct. I will keep playing regardless of a wipe because I like the game but I have no idea what the benefits would be on PVE. 

I think your island is actually empty because of your poor personal hygene habits. I can smell you from here. Oh wait, never mind, that's the chitlins cooking.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, InfernaDeus said:

Don’t worry once the wipe happens and the waves of Xbox players come in to save the day there will be plenty of people on all servers.

well on the off chance(won’t happen) that there isn’t a wipe you will see the numbers drop faster than ever and as you said there “will be so little players”. The ball is in their court and every minute they waste with silence just makes it worse

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Realist said:

Don’t worry once the wipe happens and the waves of Xbox players come in to save the day there will be plenty of people on all servers.

Yeah definitely have to agree with you. I'm not saying anyone's opinions are incorrect or wrong, but I have been and still am on ATLAS from day 1. I've done it all from company leader/base bitch/megas/solo/pve/pvp/EU/NA and after 3,000 hours and playing with so many different people, hearing what they wanted or why they were quiting was 90% the low players.

You can have the most badass fleet and a towering fortress, but what's the point if all it does is just sit? I remember when atlas was so packed, on lawless you couldn't even get a parking spot from so many ships and shipyards, you'd travel across the island and see people everywhere farming and building. When you sailed through a grid, any grid, youd better expect a fight because there was always ships moving across the water. Once Xbox releases and they flood the servers, the PC PVPers will be thirsty for new naval battles and land wars and most will return. http://imgur.com/gallery/yiUH4bw

And a month later it will be a ghost town again. They haven't addressed a single issue that caused people to flee in droves this time, cashgrabbing Xbox is going to do them no favors. Sure, they might get to survive as a company for a bit longer, but when people find out that they were lied to if they use the same trailer they used for Steam, that offline raiding is a thing, and that the hordes of RMT players have returned to try and make a quick buck by exploiting systems and using aimbots in pvp, it will go down just as fast.

2 hours ago, Blackdog1996 said:

Yeah definitely have to agree with you. I'm not saying anyone's opinions are incorrect or wrong, but I have been and still am on ATLAS from day 1. I've done it all from company leader/base bitch/megas/solo/pve/pvp/EU/NA and after 3,000 hours and playing with so many different people, hearing what they wanted or why they were quiting was 90% the low players.

You can have the most badass fleet and a towering fortress, but what's the point if all it does is just sit? I remember when atlas was so packed, on lawless you couldn't even get a parking spot from so many ships and shipyards, you'd travel across the island and see people everywhere farming and building. When you sailed through a grid, any grid, youd better expect a fight because there was always ships moving across the water. Once Xbox releases and they flood the servers, the PC PVPers will be thirsty for new naval battles and land wars and most will return. http://imgur.com/gallery/yiUH4bw

See, this is the attitude to have ☝️ This guy right here. 

Not having the attitude of “I want to keep my stuff and screw everyone else” lol

xbox people won’t stick around without the wipe. There is a definite necessity for it and it has nothing to do with anything technical. It’s about the success of the game. This Xbox launch is literally their last chance at any type of success. 

If they get the same amount of bad reviews from media outlets and you tube and steam reviews they are done and I mean done. They will never be able to recover from two failed launches.

some people were happy that steam reviews were starting to rise a little. Xbox players will be able to review on steam as well. What do you (not you specifically) think 100k more players can do to that? They can rise it up and make it shine, or they can plummet into a 95% negative hole  they will never be able to even get back to a 90% negative rating.

to the people that “want to keep their stuff” there is a lot more riding on this launch than “your stuff” a whole lot more riding on it.

sorry, had to use your soap box for a second. You can have it back now lol

2 hours ago, UnknownSystemError said:

And a month later it will be a ghost town again. They haven't addressed a single issue that caused people to flee in droves this time, cashgrabbing Xbox is going to do them no favors. Sure, they might get to survive as a company for a bit longer, but when people find out that they were lied to if they use the same trailer they used for Steam, that offline raiding is a thing, and that the hordes of RMT players have returned to try and make a quick buck by exploiting systems and using aimbots in pvp, it will go down just as fast.

Oh I will never argue about the whole cash grab concept. I also won’t say it is happening either though.

there in lies the bad(correct) part about what you said. They said nothing new was coming until even after a while after the console release. Which means multiple months(maybe up to 5) without anything new. 

That in itself shows how much they are struggling with this crossplay and worried it will be hard to iron out(hence the nothing new right after either).

I have said this before but this was also before crossplay so I do need to say it again. “They tried to be too new and too innovative and it shot them in the foot” they had to have the biggest map ever. They just had to come up with a “new” claim system. Now they want to be new and innovative by doing crossplay. Smh one more billet please sir.

This stuff coming to Xbox? Noice. Now finally Realist will spend less time here and more time ingame. 

5 hours ago, UnknownSystemError said:

and that the hordes of RMT players have returned to try and make a quick buck by exploiting systems and using aimbots in pvp, it will go down just as fast.

I would find it hard to believe there is any RMT here. Nothing in the game has any value. Anything can be done or made with relatively little to no effort.

2 hours ago, Percieval said:

This stuff coming to Xbox? Noice. Now finally Realist will spend less time here and more time ingame. 

Welcome back. Been awhile. 

On 9/3/2019 at 12:45 PM, InfernaDeus said:

https://steamcharts.com/app/834910

as you can see the people who couldnt play while wipe was active came back after it only to quit again, wipes has little to do with this game's problems

5 hours ago, Percieval said:

Nah, depends. When the wipe happens sure. If it doesn’t I will make my distaste known on here on on the steam reviews.

1 minute ago, Realist said:

Nah, depends. When the wipe happens sure. If it doesn’t I will make my distaste known on here on on the steam reviews.

I hope for a new wipe. But people on the discord said this will ‘revive’ the game but it’s not going anywhere near that. If I’m honest I’m at a loss, how can this game ever be more than it is now. 

2 minutes ago, Percieval said:

I hope for a new wipe. But people on the discord said this will ‘revive’ the game but it’s not going anywhere near that. If I’m honest I’m at a loss, how can this game ever be more than it is now. 

It can’t be really. It’s ark. There will always be limits. Unless they make an entirely different game(maybe the new lead designer). It won’t become anything more than it is.

wow @Percieval we actually agreed on something. Congrats to us 👍

it will revive the playbase but not improve the game. Once the players are their they are still stuck with mediocre ideas and bad implementation issues

7 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

I would find it hard to believe there is any RMT here. Nothing in the game has any value. Anything can be done or made with relatively little to no effort.

It was an issue. Right after they nerfed all the dupes, removed all the mythics over 60% and capped intelligence crafting we saw a huge drop in people offering full mythic 300% damage cannons for sale. Then they nerfed intelligence crafting by a further 30%. Their market gone, their exploit gone, huge exodus.

with the current state of the game, i would not come back if my character was wiped. i could care less about structures, tames and that bullshit. i dont got the time nor the ambition to get to lvl 100 again... not in the games current form. discovery points are cancer.

Edited by Enki Anunnaki

9 hours ago, Enki Anunnaki said:

with the current state of the game, i would not come back if my character was wiped. i could care less about structures, tames and that bullshit. i dont got the time nor the ambition to get to lvl 100 again... not in the games current form. discovery points are cancer.

I definitely understand the frustrations of a wipe, loosing everything and having to start over with levels ect. As I mentioned I'm at 3,104 hrs, I've played alot and had to start over alot to.

But I never said to my myself "If they wipe and I loose all my stuff, I'm not coming back" because when I first started playing ATLAS I knew it was a Early Access game. And EA games (especially ATLAS with its history) are going to wipe, they are going to crash, you are going to loose everything over some really dumb BS.

I'm okay with that because I knew what I was getting into. Again, not saying who's right or wrong, but I just dont understand how or why people get so upset about wipes when you payed to play a EA game, you literally have got to know they would happen. 

But hey to each their own. I guess it's the way I look at ATLAS during this point in time that alot dont. "Before I spend hundreds of hours building/farming/getting levels/taming would I be cool if it all gets wiped? Especially sense there was already one?"

Edited by Blackdog1996
  • Like 1

People get upset about people talking about wipes, because those people are trolls / joke characters like realist. Its just perception.

8 hours ago, Percieval said:

Why do you hope for a new wipe?

Just because things can't get worse?

A wipe for technical reasons is fine and I fully support and will be happy to start over if that happens again, and I expect it to at some point.

A wipe because some person / group wants a wipe, I say "sod off".

It's because there is a different emotional response to things that are accidental, un-forced or needed to proceed rather than deliberate or not needed. It doesn't matter that the outcome will be the same. 

7 hours ago, Blackdog1996 said:

I definitely understand the frustrations of a wipe, loosing everything and having to start over with levels ect. As I mentioned I'm at 3,104 hrs, I've played alot and had to start over alot to.

But I never said to my myself "If they wipe and I loose all my stuff, I'm not coming back" because when I first started playing ATLAS I knew it was a Early Access game. And EA games (especially ATLAS with its history) are going to wipe, they are going to crash, you are going to loose everything over some really dumb BS.

I'm okay with that because I knew what I was getting into. Again, not saying who's right or wrong, but I just dont understand how or why people get so upset about wipes when you payed to play a EA game, you literally have got to know they would happen. 

But hey to each their own. I guess it's the way I look at ATLAS during this point in time that alot dont. "Before I spend hundreds of hours building/farming/getting levels/taming would I be cool if it all gets wiped? Especially sense there was already one?"

I don't expect random wipes for no reason, even in an EA.  Sometimes there's a failure of some sort, something goes wrong in EA, and most often you'd get a rollback from that, but I suppose if it's massive enough you might get a wipe.   If the devs are hopeless about hacking, you might get a wipe for massive duping or something.  (But seriously, there are better ways to handle that than wiping)

The other reason you might see a wipe is a major change to the game, which should mean new goodies for the players.  I don't mind a wipe to put some big new features in the game.  But that's not happened yet.  The last big wipe was to implement a new claim system that nearly nobody wanted and everyone argued against.  It's bad enough to wipe for some piddly little additions to the game, but doing it to bring in something nobody wants is pretty bad.

The only other comment I have on the OP is that Atlas isn't just one game.  The PvP game plays very differently from the PvE game.  If you want to be making game recommendations to the devs, you need to consider the game from a dev perspective as well as a player perspective, rather than just saying "a wipe would bring people back", when clearly that's going to be different for pve than for pvp.  You could even make the case that one of the pvp servers should have periodic wipes permanently.  Some pvp players like that environment.  But you'd be taken more seriously if you show you have an understanding of the whole EA environment, and aren't just yelling for one thing you want personally and trying to claim it's the direction the whole game should go.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:14 AM, Blackdog1996 said:

ROFL please pass the pipe!