Sign in to follow this  
HansenSM

Totally chocked about this stream

There was a real moment, an honest, enjoyable and significant thing in the stream that was said, and it was said by Jesse funnily enough, when he was laughing while saying something similar to "what other game can you put a elephant on a ship, go sail then board and fight other ships"

The most frustrating thing is that the devs made such a good skeleton for a game, that surely all that was needed is for them to play the game and add to it piece by piece, but they refuse to take steps in order to create an actual game. I enjoy the game, I just don't enjoy the way the devs operate.

Re watching the previous livestream is quite funny now. They are so adamant about stating "no wipe" and then they happily announce torpedos and the water camel etc. Torpedos was one of those infamous wildcard/grapeshot things, where they demonstrate that they don't know how their game works by releasing a feature that did not work within the game, it broke the game to the point where the new feature was then nerfed into the ground, the nerf was so broken to the point that nobody uses the new feature. Now in this new video, we see a bunch of if's, maybe's, we don't knows, it's lots of hard work so we are just milking xbox. Meanwhile, it still costs less resources and effort to destroy a base/ship than it does to create it. From one extreme to the other. They will just tell us whatever they think we want to hear.

Actually, the other significant thing that I can think of off the top of my head, is when Jat mentioned that he had read threads with detailed ideas and suggestions, thought out posts with thousands upon thousands of words. I think it was a thread about factions. It was most likely a post that demonstrated why factions can prevent player base from cannibalising itself. The stream then continues with the guys not mentioning anything further at all from this thought out, well detailed thread. Its all just "too much work" and not giving any details or thought out explanation of anything, no details or their current thoughts on factions.

I think the theory that microsoft provided the devs with a laundry list of fixes that they needed to make in order for them to sell their game on xbox and not be a total embarrassment/totally obvious that the game is currently a sham, is probably true. They need to fix the shitty ladders etc, but they wont fix them for pc players, they need to be told by microsoft and will only fix stuff for that quick short term buck off people with *new* money.

Edited by eeeceee
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

I rest my case.

Go back to Ark and take your entitlement with you.

Wait up, you said I dont like the game, but I do, so I said so. You then said that the amount of playtime that I stated was in total equal to half a year, in a way that appears to try and say that there is something wrong with that. I then let you know that the playtime is not quite accurate, or significant, as a large amount is AFK time. I don't see how that proves your point at all, it's most likely the opposite actually, so i'm not sure what you're resting your case on. Where exactly is the entitlement? Are you trying to just say the generic "oh you spent $20 on something that you spend 1000s of hours on so how dare you complain"? I am more than aware of the incredible amount of value for that 20 bucks I spent, doesn't mean that I have to hold my toungue and not point out that it appears that the devs are not fixing things that shouldve been fixed during development, and instead have switched development and are now fixing things for the new market because they got told to do so by someone that they actually respect and listen to.

Do you not like ark?

Edited by eeeceee

15 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Anybody wanna post a summary of what the livestream told us? I am too busy with work, by which I mean lazy, to watch it.

I wish I had been.  I watched it this morning and it was excruciating.

Recap - 

8 months after the game launches in which they repeatedly state that they are emphasizing performance and bugs, they present a roadmap.  The roadmap is not going to start until they launch Xbox, which may or may not be sometime in the fall.  The first phase of the roadmap is performance and bugs.

So 8 months ago they released a pirate game with no pirates in it.  After a year of focusing on performance and bugs, while delivering claims 1.0, claims 2.0 , a succession of increasingly ugly tames, and a couple of single player modes, all improvements are now going to be held while they focus on new sales.   

There may or may not be a wipe for the new sales,  but if it makes things all nice and comfy for some rube holding a 20 dollar bill , then hey, why not?  (You'd think the rubes would see this as a sign of how well they'll be treated in the future , but I guess that's why they call them rubes)

After that's done, they are going to try to improve performance and fix bugs.  (If you can't do that in 8 months, can you do it at all?)  And they have stated very firmly this time that they really do understand now that it ought to be a pirate game and they have the charts to prove it.  Water.  Lots and lots of water.  No new ships for a long time because those are hard.  Water is easy.  All you need is 2 hydrogens and an oxygen.

So hold onto your missing reward hats.  If you liked the first 8 months of Atlas,  just wait for them to finish the sales part of game development and starting next year you can have all the performance and bug fixing you can stand.  After that - pirates.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, eeeceee said:

Wow i love that movie, I'm going to watch it again for the 100th time. Thanks 🙂

Do you know the Hamilton Beeches line?

I must be one of those rubes. I sat down with my family to learn what wonderful direction the team was taking the game. Here is what I found out: Jeremy has dollar signs in his eyes, my teenage sons love to make fun of their fathers pirate game and it’s developers, my wife (who has 100’s of hours in this) is adorable when she plaintively asks, “What about my hat?” It’s just a jump to the left I suppose...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gomez Addams said:

I must be one of those rubes. I sat down with my family to learn what wonderful direction the team was taking the game. Here is what I found out: Jeremy has dollar signs in his eyes, my teenage sons love to make fun of their fathers pirate game and it’s developers, my wife (who has 100’s of hours in this) is adorable when she plaintively asks, “What about my hat?” It’s just a jump to the left I suppose...

Nah,  When you plunked down your cash you had no idea what to expect.  The premise was good.  It was worth a go.  The rubes are the guys who think it would be just great and totally fair if the devs destroyed all the other players stuff so they can hand over their cash to play on a nice clean server.  (Not realizing that once they pay, they'll be in the exact same spot themselves, and they'll become the "dirty" ones who need to be wiped out for someone else)

I gave up on the hat.  Cut my hair, dyed it navy blue and selected long dreadlocks.  Those have been fun, but they didn't get very long, and the game decided I needed a tan to wear them, so it did that too.  What I really want is a hairstyle called "combs hair with mixmaster".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It was generic, without any actual information and sounded more like a presentation you would give to present the idea of a game to someone like an investor to get funding. Not like the presentation of a game that is already on the market, struggled, failed and needs to be saved.

After this project went down they can at least all consider political careers.

On 8/29/2019 at 12:14 AM, PeglegTheAngry said:

Literally all of the complaints about this game were addressed and you're still crying about it. It might just be you don't like the game, dude.

false, people wanted a confirmation/date for the wipe, got none.

On 8/29/2019 at 12:29 AM, PeglegTheAngry said:

I'm gonna float this at you; and I really want you to consider it.
Maybe they don't know either? Its a small team working on what is among  one of the most ambitious games to date. Most of the team are not professionals, but modders from the Ark community. Seriously cut them a lil slack.

then just say "we dont know"?

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 3:33 AM, PeglegTheAngry said:

Wipe is inevitable anyway, numbers too low. Too much shit to clean up.

thats not even the problem the problem is the lack of clarification, they rather see us here fighting with eachother about it that just growing some balls and say "hey guys, we gonna/or not wipe"

• Like 1

saying there will be a wipe from a business standpoint 2 months before xbox release is  not to bright, they need people testing the game, telling people now that there will be a wipe in two months would only make people stop playing. they learned there lesson last time on that one. btw there is no doubt there will be a wipe when xbox releases.

Edited by lordkhan4444

3 hours ago, lordkhan4444 said:

saying there will be a wipe from a business standpoint 2 months before xbox release is  not to bright, they need people testing the game, telling people now that there will be a wipe in two months would only make people stop playing. they learned there lesson last time on that one. btw there is no doubt there will be a wipe when xbox releases.

yeah thats the thing, we already know, so they could at least be honest.

Edited by The D Legacy

7 hours ago, lordkhan4444 said:

Sure there's doubt.  I have doubt.  Other people have doubt.  

If there is a technical reason that they must wipe, then they should do that.  (And if there is, then it will be interesting to see the reaction when single player gets drawn into that)

If there is no technical reason, then they should not.

Alla yous who keep going around saying that of course this will happen, ought to stop doing that, because for some players, that makes it as good as done, and they leave.  That's not a good thing.

The statements above are logical, and given some of the earlier GS decisions, they may not follow logic.  (Anyone remember the great idea of land owners being able to wipe the entire island?)  Still, hope springs eternal.

• Like 2

On 8/29/2019 at 12:01 AM, HansenSM said:

How it can be possible, after month of waiting without any news, after all the topics post in this forum and dying network you can make a stream like that.

There was more than hundred of question post on your Q&A livestream and you just answer about two question, "what is your roadmap" and "do we will have crossplay of xbox" but what about all the fucking other important information we are waiting for?

You didn't even speak about the sail who was on the background on the start of the livestream.

Speaking about color and hat skin when they are hundred of people asking for a wipe or not in the stream.....

40 minutes of stream - 10 min of intro and you get the smaller stream you ever made when it's the more needed

I'm really fan of atlas but at this state, it's supporting a game who doesn't want to success...

Thanks for this post, you speak exactly my emotions. - I mean I never had the feeling the community management of Grapeshot was extraordinarily good, but for Atlas it's actually a catastrophe since day 1, and I am baffled about the fact that certain individuals have not been keelhauled a long time ago.

This stream now speaks volumes. For me, personally, the stream said three things: (a) We do not care about the current problems nor the community requests (holy crap, 999 out of 1000 game designers would have given us more ship types by now, and if you only slightly adjust existing ones!), (b) We desperately need money to keep the thing alive, and consoles are our last resort (understandable), and (c) we are chickening away from admitting we have to make yet another wipe because that would mean to again lose probably ~80% of the player base.

Very disappointing, very uninspired and zero passionate, and worst of all: terribly prepared.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Do you know the Hamilton Beeches line?

Lol, no. But I just tried to find out what that is, and interestingly it was very difficult to find info on this initially, and I still don't know. Apparently, that is a brand of mixers? Audiences watching the movie yelled that line out at some point for some reason?

I didn't go see the movie at the movies, I'm not that cool.

Why the "Devs" don't go out and ask a real Gamedeveloper what is more important: bring out a console-release for a quick cashgrab or fix the entire game in its state to make current player happy, veteran players come back, new players join in and then, when the game is standing strong, go over to the next step?

Why the hell get we served the dumbest of the dumbest idiodevs, who think it's better to do it across every logically way? Didn't you learned anything before you get to GS?! 

14 minutes ago, Forb Hidden said:

Why the "Devs" don't go out and ask a real Gamedeveloper what is more important: bring out a console-release for a quick cashgrab or fix the entire game in its state to make current player happy, veteran players come back, new players join in and then, when the game is standing strong, go over to the next step?

Why the hell get we served the dumbest of the dumbest idiodevs, who think it's better to do it across every logically way? Didn't you learned anything before you get to GS?! 

Because they have had a golden goose. Over the years, people have pleaded with wildcard to pleaseeeeee give the game to more experienced, capable developers. The game concept is great, execution never really ever managed to live up to that ever-elusive *potential*.

To beat a dead horse / try to stop this talk about "ohh you guys are complaining about the wipe lol etc"

- go have a look at the 'golden age of piracy' captains log, the devs try to give us the message that they are working on changes to the game to make it the 'dream pirate game'.

- notice that for the past 4 months or something, there has been no significant progress on these goals that they have stated, there is no actual roadmap or solid gameplay mechanics implemented/worked out/even discussed with us that much really.........................

- the devs seem to be very distant for months

- the devs announce that there is a "livestream" that will contain a roadmap for stuff that was in that old ass captains log from ages ago

- then the "livestream" is actually just a shitty video where the devs say that there is no roadmap

- surprise surprise the devs have been working on xbox version for the last 4 months

- to go around in circles, the devs try to give us the message that they are working on changes to the game to make it the 'dream pirate game', after xbox $$$$

p.s. love you devs thanks for the great games, just...... can you ...... make it better? 🙂

Edited by eeeceee
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 6:01 PM, HansenSM said:

How it can be possible, after month of waiting without any news, after all the topics post in this forum and dying network you can make a stream like that.

It's easy if you only have one perspective.

Devs perspective:  The game is in the doldrums, people are bailing, there have been a number of unpopular design decisions, nobody seems to know what to do.  Suddenly there is new energy, a new director in charge, a better idea of where we need to go.  Everybody is busy as hell and working hard.  The xbox release is exciting, the community managers run here and there, posting on twitter, hanging in discord, briefly hitting the forums...everyone is going like gangbusters.  The EA has a long timeline, but we have a roadmap and everyone is kicking around all the big new ideas.  Very exciting.

Player perspective:  The game is in the doldrums, people are bailing, there have been a number of unpopular design decisions, one of which caused a wipe and lost even more players.  The devs don't seem to know what to do.  Problems that have been around since launch are still unresolved.  The latest efforts are all focusing on things that don't affect the official servers and nearly everyone has left them.   Now there is a new director, new energy, and a livestream coming up.  Maybe something good will happen....................

Livestream - nothing is going to happen.  Focused on xbox release.  After that focused on performance.  Eventual focus on what the base elements of the game should be.

From the perspective of a player on official, this says "Nothing for you.  One year.  Maybe a wipe."

It's either very encouraging and energizing or deeply demoralizing, depending on what shoes you're standing in, and not many people seem to be able to change their shoes and have a look from a different perspective.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eeeceee said:

Lol, no. But I just tried to find out what that is, and interestingly it was very difficult to find info on this initially, and I still don't know. Apparently, that is a brand of mixers? Audiences watching the movie yelled that line out at some point for some reason?

I didn't go see the movie at the movies, I'm not that cool.

The brand name of the electric knife that Frank brandishes at the dinner scene is Hamilton Beech. The line we always yelled out at the theater was (yelled at max volume and cattle auctioneer speed):

ALWAYS REACH FOR YOUR HAMILTON BEECHES

IT SLICES. IT DICES. IT @#$&es JANET WEISSES.

CIRCUMCISES, SODOMIZES, LOBOTOMIZES

GUARANTEED NOT TO RUST, BUST OR COLLECT DUST

AND DAAAMN CAN IT CATCH FISH!

Ah those were the days....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

The brand name of the electric knife that Frank brandishes at the dinner scene is Hamilton Beech. The line we always yelled out at the theater was (yelled at max volume and cattle auctioneer speed):

ALWAYS REACH FOR YOUR HAMILTON BEECHES

Ah those were the days....

I didn't remember that and went to look it up too.  To my surprise, the thngs that got yelled weren't exactly standard.  Pre-WWW I guess.  Some of the links had so many audience participation lines it seemed nuts.  Too much yelling.  I liked ours..maybe 10 or 15 lines, and standard props and that was it.

51 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

I didn't remember that and went to look it up too.  To my surprise, the thngs that got yelled weren't exactly standard.  Pre-WWW I guess.  Some of the links had so many audience participation lines it seemed nuts.  Too much yelling.  I liked ours..maybe 10 or 15 lines, and standard props and that was it.

Yeah when they showed it on campus in college I discovered that even just people who were from other metro areas in my state had different lines they used. Heck, I had a sociology professor who had moved from Florida State to NC and improvised half his stuff to make fun of then NC Senator Jesse Helms. So there is definitely a wide variety of different lines, but the Hamilton Beech line I was taught was always the best of the ones I heard.