Sign in to follow this  
HansenSM

Totally chocked about this stream

Or the spectrum with 7 colours all blocked and the external forever loading tape drive. And what was that game with the little bloke in the massive explorers hat? 

2 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

And what was that game with the little bloke in the massive explorers hat?  

On the 2600? I think that was Pitfall.

Well the playable state has been debated on many different posts. I personally purchased on day 1 and couldn't even get past main screen for a week, and had friends that had to wait a month. 

Even conceding that argument, there is still lack of any real direction for the game. And with the announcement of the new lead came a hint at yet another great new roadmap for the game. 

At the rate they are going, when this game finally makes it to full release, it may not even be a sea fairing pirate game at all. We may all be flying pirates in airships who travel to other planets. Who the hell knows. And as cool as that may be, it's not the pre aloha release game I originally bought into.

So I guess my point would be, before you pass around the collection plate, maybe we could have a better idea of what we are buying into, or convincing our friends to buy. Just might make it a little easier to get on board

I just have to say for a second that I am glad to see the two people that hate me arguing with each other. This is a breath of fresh air to me.

• Haha 2

Oh yeah by the way, did these guys even touch on whether Xbox is crossplay in fact or did they just try some fake hype stuff like they usually do?

13 minutes ago, Realist said:

Oh yeah by the way, did these guys even touch on whether Xbox is crossplay in fact or did they just try some fake hype stuff like they usually do? 

Steam crossplay. Soon too, they showed it working in the studio.

40 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

The wipe will be fabulous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

I am totally kerfuffled as to what chocked means. Splain plz.

It's got my knickers in a knot, whatever it is.

58 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

yep  my guess is mid/late oct, dolly said sooner than end of year.

Ya'll got what you wanted:  Confirmation about more ships, offline defense, less tames, factions, crossplay, QOL, optimization.

People are still thinking of Atlas as a finished game for some reason, it is far from it still, all this stuff takes time.. like months of time YEARS of time, in some cases.

I am glad they agree that Atlas needs to focus in a direction and that being of  "a pirate game"  and want it to feel more alive in the world and even brought up maybe using the Faction idea many of us here have discussed, rather it will be npc only factions or if players could join one or another.. I am GLAD they got that message 😛

I am glad to hear they do not intend on making it an Ark by over saturating the world with beasts and leaving them as a secondary thing to be doing in the world and not a focus. Instead, gearing it to pirate things and sailing, as it needs to be.

The only thing I didn't mind one way or another was what many of you thought, was the biggest, crossplay. lol.

I cared more about the core elements they tend on working on and adding.. NOT, how it affects my current gameplay.. the game WILL be a "new" game by the time they are finished with it and if they can stay on track with what they have outlined, great 😄 I don't find my current game play to be anything more than, my time, having fun in the world they provide and being able to see the new stuff as it does come out is kinda  neat, even if that means they will be wiping and I will start fresh in the world to see it 😛

Look forward to hearing more about what was outlined in the coming months as the team dives into them.

Edited by Liatni

I liked what I heard on the live stream. A lot.  They touched on many things, but, were pretty light on details.  Intentionally so I imagine.  Specific items that stood out to me were the following.

-A focus on turning Atlas into a "Pirate Simulator."  More sea game play and less land game play.
- Players be able to log in after a while and be able to jump in to the game without worrying about losing progress.  Seemed to mean off-lining is somehow going to be addressed/eliminated.
- Focus on XBox/Crossplay in recent past and into the future until it is implemented.  PC put on the back burner until then.
- No new content for a while even after XBox release as focus will be on bug squashing and QOL improvements (Phase 1).
- Sailing speed from point A to point B and associated time frames are to be addressed.  They are aware it can be laborious task and not very fun.
- I distinctly remember them saying Atlas is currently a gear based game and they would like it instead to be a skill based game.  Equal up the playing field.
- Redo the skill tree to make it more impactful at an individual level.  I truly hope they take a good long look at Star Wars Galaxies (Pre-Combat Upgrade) and give us more than one character to develop.  Skill based -hit a stone to get better at hitting stones.  Shoot a pistol to get better at shooting pistols.
- Factions are to be experimented with.  Alternate world layouts PvPvE servers are being considered.
- Islands and claiming to be taken another look at to see what is working and what isn't.
- Tames will not be the priority of Atlas as they are now. 
- XBOBS .... lol

At the very least they seem to have selected a direction to take the game.  Atlas is to be a "Pirate Simulator" first and foremost.  Not sure "exactly" what that means, but, it is something.  I really don't care about this fantasy/pirate thing people seem to have.  As per usual so much is to be determined and time will tell.  As I have said on multiple occasions .... Atlas is in "Early Access".  Things will change.  Wipes will happen.  For whatever reason the EA stamp means very little to so many people.  It pretty much means everything to me and as a result they get a level of courtesy and patience that a "released" game most certainly does not.   

Interesting tid bits .... Studio has spent most of their time working on the ocean/ship mechanics.  Eric said he has a background in PvP skills and balance.  Road maps and pie charts ... heh, what a concept.  Based on how the wipe went last time, I wouldn't say anything close to the word wipe.  Maybe a days notice and then implemented ... surprise! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elmo said:

I liked what I heard on the live stream. A lot.  They touched on many things, but, were pretty light on details.  Intentionally so I imagine.  Specific items that stood out to me were the following.

-A focus on turning Atlas into a "Pirate Simulator."  More sea game play and less land game play.
- Players be able to log in after a while and be able to jump in to the game without worrying about losing progress.  Seemed to mean off-lining is somehow going to be addressed/eliminated.
- Focus on XBox/Crossplay in recent past and into the future until it is implemented.  PC put on the back burner until then.
- No new content for a while even after XBox release as focus will be on bug squashing and QOL improvements (Phase 1).
- Sailing speed from point A to point B and associated time frames are to be addressed.  They are aware it can be laborious task and not very fun.
- I distinctly remember them saying Atlas is currently a gear based game and they would like it instead to be a skill based game.  Equal up the playing field.
- Redo the skill tree to make it more impactful at an individual level.  I truly hope they take a good long look at Star Wars Galaxies (Pre-Combat Upgrade) and give us more than one character to develop.  Skill based -hit a stone to get better at hitting stones.  Shoot a pistol to get better at shooting pistols.
- Factions are to be experimented with.  Alternate world layouts PvPvE servers are being considered.
- Islands and claiming to be taken another look at to see what is working and what isn't.
- Tames will not be the priority of Atlas as they are now. 
- XBOBS .... lol

At the very least they seem to have selected a direction to take the game.  Atlas is to be a "Pirate Simulator" first and foremost.  Not sure "exactly" what that means, but, it is something.  I really don't care about this fantasy/pirate thing people seem to have.  As per usual so much is to be determined and time will tell.  As I have said on multiple occasions .... Atlas is in "Early Access".  Things will change.  Wipes will happen.  For whatever reason the EA stamp means very little to so many people.  It pretty much means everything to me and as a result they get a level of courtesy and patience that a "released" game most certainly does not.   

Interesting tid bits .... Studio has spent most of their time working on the ocean/ship mechanics.  Eric said he has a background in PvP skills and balance.  Road maps and pie charts ... heh, what a concept.  Based on how the wipe went last time, I wouldn't say anything close to the word wipe.  Maybe a days notice and then implemented ... surprise! 

I have to say I am glad to hear that no new content will come to the game even well after the release of Xbox. It will take Xbox players awhile to get used to the content that is already here so there will be no reason to add any new content until atleast 3 months after the Xbox launch.

i also love that they will be sledding up sailing. I was really wanting that. I don’t want to spend that much time on the boat so increasing sailing speed will be awesome.

factions. I love that idea. Can’t wait till there is no more company vs company. FOR THE HORDE!!!! 👍

• Like 2

There is some content out on the PTR atm, they may include that or.. might make it wait.. I wasn't sure about if they meant that, that would be implemented or not.

oh uh,  FOR THE DOLPHINS!

Edited by Liatni

Even though I stopped actively playing a month or so ago I still check the forum to see what the 5 of you left posting have to say....

I listened to every word of the livestream..... they first hinted at having npc’s/factions in single player PVE about a month ago.... that’s when I stopped playing.... I figured I would be back in a month or so when it was implementedf....

what I got from the livestream was that it MIGHT be considered about a year from now at soonest.... guess I will check back then....

PEGLEGTHEANGRY..... don’t bother wasting the wear and tear on your keyboard telling me what’s wrong with my thinking/attitude or whatever because I’m already gone.... not that I care what you think anyway cuz your breath smells like developers ass.....

Edited by Salty Jack

Was fine with your reply there Salty Jack until you decided to have a go at us with insults poor pegleg..  🙂  See you around in a month or so!

Edited by Liatni

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

this, I forgot this! Yes please 🙂 

So all the people who are playing now on PC since release are slapped in theyr face with these announced BS. 

We have to deal now for a longer time with all the small bugs and issues until they get fixed, because the main focus lies on Xbox shit. 

When will it be able to climb up a ladder on a boat without glitching away (once it was perfect, then you broke it and never fixed it).

When can we get all the resources on the blackwood map? Are there any plans to fix it in this year?

These are just two of the most wanted fixes of the game and these weren't addressed with any word... 

Until yesterday I felt like they give a shit on us. Since now it's confirmed: they definitely give a shit on us!

2 hours ago, lordkhan4444 said:

watch the stream again they said ladders on boats will be fixed.

I don't need to watch it again. They spoke about the ladders when they talked about phase 1, bugfixing and several improvements. 

And if you would watch it again, you would understand, that the roadmap they announced, will start AFTER the Xbox launch. That means after two months of waiting for all the new stuff they announced and waiting for bugfixes who never camed, we have to wait another 2...4 months now until they start fixing theyr shit...?! 

This is absolutely not, what I wanted to hear about. Xbox launch is maybe a good idea for theyr moneybags and for a bigger playerbase. But it shouldn't block the game in developing and especially not in fixing bugs!

Well that stream was the perfect example of marketing - by touching every subject but not giving any solution, so that the customer dreams up the solution that he thinks they will do, thereby making it the best game to literally 'dream' of for each individual and therefore sticks to the game... in the end they have plausible deniability "never said that"...

The whole show was about how to sell us - that is the current PC players and the coming in XBOX players - that XBOX is the All Mighty Dollar and that is why we delay everything...
For the PC it means nothing changes until months after XBOX release... For the XBOX it means they can enjoy the same problems the PC had, that made 95% and counting of the player base leave...

If you get past this point in the stream about the XBOX then you find out the real problem they have - no clue...
Yes they touched on every subject we are screaming for many months now - so I guess at least someone sometimes reads what we say...
They acknowledge all the problems yes. But they don't say anything how they want to fix it. They just give a list of all solutions we gave them over time.
Maybe change to claiming, maybe factions, maybe NPC factions, maybe relations... so Realist can continue his dream and we players continue our hope for something complete different, keeping us both in the market - mission accomplished...'
Same with offline protection, they think about this that and the other thing...
Same with PVP. 'Yeah it is broken' 'Yeah, all what you players say is true'...
But in the end they gave nothing about what they want to do...

BECAUSE THEY STILL HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO...
Hell the main problem of the game - PVP balancing is at the END of their new road map...

They put the easy stuff first - QoL... so they don't have to touch the real subjects and can do their homework as late as possible...
How should changes to ships so that you do not loose them so fast, when loosing them is a PVP problem that gets changed last...?

Hell the main reason you loose your stuff - and they want to make it so you don#t loose your stuff so often - is that the broken PVP takes your stuff...
You don't need any changes to the claim system, or factions or banks or PVE zones... just balance the PVP so the defender can actually defend his stuff even when offline at least against a solo cannon bear and that will already save a lot of stuff, bases and ships... but NO, PVP is the last problem to solve... lets try to dance around the problem and change the other stuff around it...

This game will be MOAB with broken PVP by that rate... Everyone will hide in a PVE zone/faction/claim and if someone comes out to PVP it will be agreed - "lets meet and battle it out with the stuff we can afford to loose"...
Hell, if the player count goes up again, the big guys will hog in PVE and push the small guys into PVP therefore making them the only targets to PVP...

And then the side notes so to speak... like ship sailing...
They acknowledge that is sometime boring and the boring part takes too long. They did not say anything what they want to do, might be faster ships, might be more stuff happening between A to B.
The only thing for sure is if they go the speed route while the PVP is not balanced the people now crying about more speed will not only have their neighboring sector pirates raiding them, but the whole server will be at their door step knocking with cannon balls.
Distance is safety, reduce the time to travel the distance, reduce that safety... nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, you get wiped of the server even faster.
And obviously, if the ships go faster how should ship PVP work? How do you intercept someone if he changes multiple grids in the time it takes you to get from rendering range to cannon range?
Hell the current Meta is if you get ganged on the sea turn into the wind to the next Freeport... if that not takes 10-30min but merely 3-5min how much MORE ship PVP will happen on the sea?

Performance was also mentioned...
Well duh, this is an early ARK engine, of which the current ARK engine their Devs say it should be redone completely...
But their is an easy fix for the performance problems, especially in PVP:
FIX PVP !!! so that the defender not need to build this giant structures that still give no protection...
BTW that would also come along nicely with your time pie chart with the 50% time spent on land farming and building the performance killing structures...
If you not need 50,000 structure to maybe be somewhat save from the lone cannon bear wiping all your stuff, you could get in your boat and play the rest of the game...

Obviously they could also make bigger bigger structure parts so that you can build the same things with less parts... until then we continue build large stone walls not with one large stone wall, but with 120+++ normal walls so we get those million HP and not only 24K...

Actually the only positive thing said in the stream was from the new guy...
That the game play is too heavy on gear quality and low on player skills...
That comes from the time when they already did not have a clue and started to listen to the NO SKILL streamers and zergs...
But then again that would mean TO FIX PVP !!!

• Like 1