Sign in to follow this  
MOTIK

My Fantasy

**Long post and I very rarely play forums. Please be kind

1. Trade winds and currents. There should be a constant "best" or "fastest" path between two islands that creates a trade lane. This creates an environment where people can choose to jump into traffic and interact with others or actively avoid trade lanes. Maybe galleons are fastest in trade lanes but, sloops are fastest out in the open ocean.

2. Make the 4 freeport islands one large land mass. These should be NPC cities where people can dock and log out safely. These cities should also have NPC vendors that buy and sell resources. (creating a purpose and reason to use trade lanes and sail to distant places)

3. Remove 60-80% of islands. This is supposed to be a sailing game. Not a land claim / barbie doll house game.

4. Limit building to crafting stations and thatch unless your company owns a territory. (not a complete thought but, a start) Need more focus on ships and sailing and less focus on castles and tame farming.

5. Make tames an ultra rare resource. Maybe there are only 20 tier 3 tames in the entire game. This gives people a reason to go to war and capture tames. Seeing an elephant should be a grand experience and not a common occurance. Tier 2 could be uncommon. Maybe 10-20 per land mass in appropriate biomes. Tier 1 would be common place. Chickens and monkies for all!

6. Starving should be an issue but, vitamins are silly. Nobody ever died of scurvy overnight because they forgot to eat an orange with dinner. Vitamins could provide buffs / debuffs instead of being fatal.

7. Weather shouldn't be fatal. Yes, entire expeditions have froze to death, but it was extremely rare. Similar to vitamins weather should be a buff / debuff and not fatal. ex. reduced movement speed when too hot or cold, increased food / water consumption (like it already is), maybe reduced damage or durability (cold tools break faster?)

Again, these are my thoughts / fantasy and NOT demands. This is not meant to be negative in any way, shape, or form.
I view these as simple balance changes of systems that are already created and in game. In my mind the cost of these changes would be minimal.
Building the NPC freeport cities with already existing assets may take some time.
I would imagine that less tames, islands, and barbie dollhouse castles would greatly reduces server lag (except maybe in the freeports).

I still have hope for a pirate MMO and not "pirate ark".
Thanks for reading.

Some thoughts are a cool idea like the freeports beeing One landmass with cities etc. But the barbiedoll House stuff Needs to be imo. I would love to travell around the World just to See player citys blooming with life. 60-80% Island reduction is a bit much, but there should be less,or some Islands with soldiers of the damned or marines which could Serve as a raid Maybe.apart from making tames rare, make rare NPCs instead. Those could be a Master shipwright that reduces the Amount of Ressources or types Needed to craft shipparts

Op welcome to the forums and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback in a well thought out easy to read manner. Some of us have been around posting from the beginning. What we want and don't want is largely a known quantity at this point, so fresh voices offering their own perspective and ideas are very helpful. We look forward to hearing from you in the future.

5 hours ago, MOTIK said:

**Long post and I very rarely play forums. Please be kind

1. Trade winds and currents. There should be a constant "best" or "fastest" path between two islands that creates a trade lane. This creates an environment where people can choose to jump into traffic and interact with others or actively avoid trade lanes. Maybe galleons are fastest in trade lanes but, sloops are fastest out in the open ocean.

2. Make the 4 freeport islands one large land mass. These should be NPC cities where people can dock and log out safely. These cities should also have NPC vendors that buy and sell resources. (creating a purpose and reason to use trade lanes and sail to distant places)

3. Remove 60-80% of islands. This is supposed to be a sailing game. Not a land claim / barbie doll house game.

4. Limit building to crafting stations and thatch unless your company owns a territory. (not a complete thought but, a start) Need more focus on ships and sailing and less focus on castles and tame farming.

5. Make tames an ultra rare resource. Maybe there are only 20 tier 3 tames in the entire game. This gives people a reason to go to war and capture tames. Seeing an elephant should be a grand experience and not a common occurance. Tier 2 could be uncommon. Maybe 10-20 per land mass in appropriate biomes. Tier 1 would be common place. Chickens and monkies for all!

6. Starving should be an issue but, vitamins are silly. Nobody ever died of scurvy overnight because they forgot to eat an orange with dinner. Vitamins could provide buffs / debuffs instead of being fatal.

7. Weather shouldn't be fatal. Yes, entire expeditions have froze to death, but it was extremely rare. Similar to vitamins weather should be a buff / debuff and not fatal. ex. reduced movement speed when too hot or cold, increased food / water consumption (like it already is), maybe reduced damage or durability (cold tools break faster?)

Again, these are my thoughts / fantasy and NOT demands. This is not meant to be negative in any way, shape, or form.
I view these as simple balance changes of systems that are already created and in game. In my mind the cost of these changes would be minimal.
Building the NPC freeport cities with already existing assets may take some time.
I would imagine that less tames, islands, and barbie dollhouse castles would greatly reduces server lag (except maybe in the freeports).

I still have hope for a pirate MMO and not "pirate ark".
Thanks for reading.

I would never be offensive to a fresh mind coming in and giving feedback. And nobody should ever do that.

having said that, I could be totally down with everything except 3 and 4. Big time no on that. 

I happen to want continents on this map. The last thing we need is more water. I completely respect your opinion motik  but I full disagree with less land. There needs to be a lot more land in the game. From what I have seen of even the biggest islands it will he very hard for me to get what “I” would call a decent build. I don’t mind the grind but even in my pyramid build in Conan, the foundations alone took 2 million stone. Mind you the rest of the pyramid was the same amount. That was built by two people in two weeks.

i need a reasonable build area. And yes also for pvp. So far even though they have large islands, it is still very lacking as far as any truly reasonable build spot being present.

we need valleys and deserts. To be honest I don’t care what climate it is but I want a damn somewhat flat space.

Edited by Realist

5 hours ago, MOTIK said:

I don't see the difference between the current setup, and this proposal. Vendors exist and I'm not sure I can see why one single large island with multiple cities on it is better than 4 islands. Why are you thinking that having 4 islands, instead of 1 island, is bad? Do you mean that the single large land mass has multiple cities on it or are you referring to the single large land mass as cities for NPCs? Why is that better? What makes these cities a city?

5 hours ago, MOTIK said:

The act of removing islands by itself is not going to make this game to be any different type of game. Why? Can you expand upon your thinking here? Are you trying to limit resources? Or do you think that forcing people to sail around is the way to force the game to be a sailing game?

The game is a barbie doll house game (check my other posts), and what we should be trying to provide the developers is mechanics and ideas so that they can develop an actual game, instead of having a barbie doll house.

Same as making the existing 4 small freeport islands that you sail around, into a large land mass city,  barbie doll city where you live amongst NPC city dwellers, I cannot immediately see the significance, difference, or benefit.

5 hours ago, MOTIK said:

No nerfs please, just make things better. Need more focus for sure. Focus is great, and if there is more focus, then that is great!

5 hours ago, MOTIK said:

This is a nice idea, but no nerfssssssss. Why not just make an ultra rare tame?

5 hours ago, MOTIK said:

Yep, vitamin deficiency deaths are the worst. Vitamins do provide a buff - you gotta get EQ. Managing the vitamins can be next to impossible while sailing as my food levels don't drop as fast as my vitamin levels. Obviously the system needs work.

5 hours ago, MOTIK said:

What do you mean? Do you mean, go swimming naked in the polar, and yes entire expeditions have froze to death but only rarely? Because, for some reason, you state that its only rare that you freeze while in freezing conditions, then there should be no freezing at all and instead a simple debuff?  I'm pretty sure that weather should stay fatal.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Polite question : Have any of you ever been out to sea?

That first time you stand on deck and watch land slip over the horizon is exhilarating! You and your crewmates are truly alone. There is no swimming to safety or quick rescue. You must rely on your (captains) planning and trust that if things go wrong your crewmates will stay calm enough to fix the situation together. This is why my favorite zones are the power stone and kraken zones (h8?). You can not simply bump (crash?) into any near-by land mass to re-supply and repair.

@Zottel I believe the concept of unique crew from SoD has already been mentioned on a road map? I too love this idea.

@Realist Does less islands, but more land make sense? Bigger lands to build grand cities but, less of them. It goes along with my thoughts on Tier 3 tames being a super rare resource. I want to pull up to a new island (continent?) and be truly awed by a megacorps massive shipyard and city. My issue is that when there are 4 or 5 island in each grid littered with neon lego barbie castles it feels a bit silly.
It sounds like you already have several games in which to build massive land structures. I am genuinely asking: do  you know of any other games that allow ship building that focus on sea travel?

Sorry if this sounds rude, but there are already many (dozens?) of games where a group of friends can build forts and castles. May we PLEASE have a ship building game focused on sea travel? :-)

@ECE Yes, one large freeport island (in each of the freeport grids) with one large city / harbor. Currently I believe the only trading you can do is cosmetic or a comicly priced material swap. What I am thinking is an economy where you could trade stone, wood, metal, and other commodities to NPC vendors for gold. If the values were based upon distance I believe this would give traders incentive to use the trade lanes and sail great distances to earn gold.

The act of removing islands does many things. I am not sure how to explain. Right now the game feels too safe. Several times i have been near sinking from PvE or PvP battles and been able to crash into a nearby shoreline and anchor to save my ship or at least sink gracefully within swimming range. Removing a vast majority of islands would certainly help with the lag many experience. Basically I believe people find sailing boring because there is very little risk when the nearest island is a 2 minute sail away where you conveniently have everything you could ever need to survive and continue the journey.

I'm not sure how to respond to your building comment right now. I believe maybe it is answered above?

I am not suggesting nerfing tames. Rather, make them super powerful reasons to wage war (pvp). Also, does anybody on PvE really enjoy feeding 50 tames a day? It seems a bit weird to have a Tamagotchi simulator in a "pirate game". Having chickens and cows on a ship seems like a reasonable way to feed a crew on voyages (ok maybe not an entire crew) but, you already have a game where you can tame all sorts of wild outlandish creatures (and they do it much better there). May we PLEASE have a pirate game? :-)

Hmm, well I have used an auger to break through very thick ice and gone polar bear diving in zero degree weather and I am still alive typing this. I would rather see severe debuffs that lead to death rather than just straight health damage. Many drownings at sea occur from cold water cramping your muscles and causing you to drown. Very few people have acctually frozen to death at sea. Heat wave in a desert? Sure, make my character super slow,  very thirsty, and maybe get a sun burn that is very uncomfortable causing a debuff for a few days. Out right death from extreme heat is also, relatively rare. Typically a human would pass out from heat exhaustion and then die from dehydration as apposed to magically melting the moment the temperature rises 2 or 3 degrees. :-)

Again. these are just my thoughts and ideas. None of this is meant to be negative in any way.

Cheers

Oh nice, Motik, you just reminded me of caravans from civ - the further the distance, the more gold.

I've never been 'out to sea' and had that feeling irl unfortunately, only just been on cruise ships, haha.

Yeah, cool, I think I get what you are saying, and I just wanted you to add some more detail. I actually have timed out many times while sailing and the ship continued to sail somehow, I logged back in and found myself anchored at the nearest island safe and sound. It removes a fair bit of the immersion when I start to think "how silly, my ship can just sail itself for a few minutes and will auto anchor, no danger at all". On the other hand, from a gameplay perspective, I did appreciate not losing my ship. It sounds like you're saying that the game would benefit more from increased sailing times, which is normally something that people would argue against. I think that is because the game has only 'half assed' the sailing maybe? Having a more dangerous ocean, having to put more thought into voyages, that all sounds good to me. The only thing though is the irl time requirement, so things like trade winds (or teleports maybeeee) would be required, pvp players will usually say that they do not sail more than 3 or 4 grids away. Maybe the game just needs archipelagos and continents.

It's very late here, I will try to comment more later on when I try to add some last minute questions for the live stream and wake up in 6 .hours time for said livestream

Haha @ the vitamin thing, I am just to accustomed to ark I guess, ark and atlas have never been too consistent with their simulation of real life survival issues. Dropping dead from lack of food for half a day. My character is 500 yrs old and yet if I check the in game day, its probably no where close to 500 years.

@MOTIK I mostly like your thoughts. Except the island reduction, personally a hard no on that one. There are some massive islands, such as (A4) that satisfy a continent feel without sacrificing the island aspect. (Feel free to completely ignore Realist when he has any opinions about the game as he has not even purchased the game, let alone play it to be able to provide anything useful to the conversation. Hence why he says silly things like there isn't enough land for him to build, when he could spend a year on a medium island and not run out of space.)

The tames are out of control I agree, I wouldn't feel bad about removing them altogether. 

NPC's and an economy are needed in a bad way.

TBH, I'm coming around on the trade wind idea. Ive been against fast(er) travel, and still am. However enough of the community is wanting something, this seems like a good compromise (although not an original idea to be fair).

@RealistYou will have enough Place on the Existing Islands to Build. Build a Pyramide in conan with about 2,5 Million Stone 😄 also on PVP at the Place close to the crocodile World Boss 🙂 also in Atlas you will Hit structure Limit Pretty fast if you Dont Build carefully And Stack too many foundations etc.

6 hours ago, zottel said:

@RealistYou will have enough Place on the Existing Islands to Build. Build a Pyramide in conan with about 2,5 Million Stone 😄 also on PVP at the Place close to the crocodile World Boss 🙂 also in Atlas you will Hit structure Limit Pretty fast if you Dont Build carefully And Stack too many foundations etc.

Ah man. So their structure limit is very below standard as well? Smh that is pretty sad to be honest. I would have said pathetic but I didn’t want to trigger anyone.

Edited by Realist

1 hour ago, Realist said:

Ah man. So their structure limit is very below standard as well? Smh that is pretty sad to be honest. I would have said pathetic but I didn’t want to trigger anyone.

If. You are curios about how big you can build at one Spot Check creative Thread the Show And Tell,there is our cathedral Which has structure Limit so you might get an idea 🙂 but its a certain Radius where you can Place 15750 structures After that you Need to Place the next Big thing like 20 foundation length away.

• Like 1

I enjoy the building aspects of this game, I love building city type builds or small towns with ports along the shore. I don't care if I can do it in connan or ark or other games, I like that sort of thing in THIS game as well.  However, land mass. The only islands I even look twice at are the largest ones OR the ones with a cool feature on them..

The small island with the two skulls facing each other, one crying the other uhh.. spitting up waterfalls.. IS my favorite island in the game it LOOKS like a pirate treasure island.. prolly why I like it. Most of the Large ones as well have a footprint of civilization on them, same thing as to why I may like them more. 

Too many islands, in my opinion, are too small  or too broken up and small or nothing but pillars.. MANY of those islands are undesirable for PvE, just not enough there to warrant picking them over something else.. OR PVP, not enough there to have a secure base on, really.. exposed to all sides. ya that. lol  I haven't seen what they are doing on the PTR though,  I am sure not many will complain if they just get rid of the islands that just are bleh 😛  or add something to them that would make them worth living on. lol.

If they make islands bigger though, doesn't that gear players to do MORE land builds and not less of them?

ugh, I guess we will have to wait until after xbox release.

Will check back in a year or so to see if they have introduced factions and a trading system.

Thanks for the discussion!

I like the idea of one large island in the freeports. Currently there are 4 islands that are all identical (maybe some different resources) with one port on each island that is identical. The thing I'd like to see is or maybe two islands somewhat centered in the map. Maybe rotate it some in each freeport.  Then there could be two ports on each. Each port could then have different vendors to buy/sell basic clothes, food, building items etc. 

Too many islands, in my opinion, are too small  or too broken up and small or nothing but pillars.. MANY of those islands are undesirable 

I agree with this. Some of the maps with a lot of small, tiny islands or archipelagos are just useless for any kind of building. I like the islands in A4 and A12 . One big island and a few smaller ones. 

also, I'd like to see the islands be more... i don't know, island like? I know there are islands that are rough and ragged, but there are others that are lush and nice, even some with wild formations. 

There are some ruins on some islands, I like that, but there are some islands that have small ports or towns. I'd like to see these be more lively. Perhaps a food vendor and maybe a general store kind of thing.

I like the exploration aspect of the game, so sailing around to islands and finding the ruins are fun. Perhaps a quest giver type could be in some of the ports... saying something like, "Hey have you seen <such-and-such> on <such-and-such> island." Then you get a quest. There could be x number of quests in this chain which when completed you get some kind of reward.

---
I don't agree on the limiting crafting and building unless you are in claimed territory. 

----

vitamins/food/spoilage - I don't mind the need to take care of these needs. I just wish the spoilage timers of food were less intrusive. having items spoil in hours seems to be to much. especially if you  keep them in things like the larder or preserving bags. speaking of which, the preserving salts should be able to put into the larder to help preserve food.

----

I am pretty sure a good reason to not have non freeport islands with anything extra on them, like npc's that offer goods is because, players being players, will just build around them and block them off from other players.  Since it atm is very much an Island claiming, land claim game.  If they start adding stuff like npc's you got to go talk to, anywhere but, a non build zone.. yeah.. on official the ONLY ones that are ever going to see them  is the group that claim that island.  Its the same thing for adding any static loot spawns out there, currently. Players are very good at cheese farming the shit out of things like that and keeping it to themselves.

Again, adding static goodies to find on official anywhere that is not a NO build zone.. bad in a game where players can build 🙂

I can see them taking advantage of the multiple freeport grids that are spread across the map however.

Edited by Liatni