Sign in to follow this  
Mike L

Pvp in the game isn't sustainable, and wont last because of the rules

On 9/11/2019 at 8:48 AM, Mike L said:

I still dont really think it should be ffa pvp, or factions, just pvp that everyone can fight and have fun with if they want to.  Shouldn't force any companies to a certain group size.  This post is about changes that make the game more playable for all the types of players. 

The only type of offline raiding that I think should occur is if the owners got off for a long period of time (close to a week) or if the defenders decide to log out because they are losing. 

I also don't like the concept of making it more costly to raid, because besides in offline combat, I think the equipment system, structure health vs cannons and all that isn't in a bad spot.  Make it more costly to raid and players are even less likely to attempt it vs other online players. 

I'll sum up the changes again because this thread is getting pretty long.

1. Freeport bank, personal bank that's not enough to get by on alone. 

2. No combat timer, only war. 

3. When an island is taken, all structures inside the claim, transfer ownership to new owners.(fixes foundation spam issues)

The only type of players these changes make the experience worse for are the ones checking the player count on servers everyday and looking at combat timers to see, where they can find loot and who they can make quit playing that day.  Simply takes away the need to offline raid or troll other companies daily.  The changes I've posted are very carefully considered to accomplish this goal. 

I want to agree with this post mostly, however, are you saying that you just want ORP, and everything else will sort itself out? The part about current structure costs/health/usefulness at all vs cannon costs being fine is the confusing part. I mean, I can sort of see what you're saying, it's in the first paragraph, you just want fun. The counter point to your argument that making it more costly to raid will make players less likely to have fun, is that players wont bother to make anything to raid. Surely? I think I've just confused myself. BRB.

Well my goal here is to keep freedom to form groups as big as you want, bigger should still equal more power. However anyone should also be able to raid who they want to.  I dont like ORP Specifically  because it has lots of other exploits tied to orp specifically ,but we do need to find a way for offline raiding to not be the most popular raiding, we need to find a way people can play this game without being scared all there stuff gets raided without logging on for at least 9 hours every single day.  

I'd prefer that offline raiding almost never happens ,besides when the defender just wont log on for days and has had war notifications. 

So while I think you should have to war in order to completely wipe something, i also know from gameplay that 25000 gold isn't that hard to obtain. Even a solo player could do so in a week or two. 

If war works the way I want to restructure it,  then big companies would still be limited by the amount of islands you own as youd only be able to use one war token per island you own, and it would be possible if they had too many enemies that when war starts, the big company could lose through smaller companies planning better for combat, and a counter attack going well. 

The reason I think structure should be taken with an island is because while they put in the raise function to clear off the island, it doesnt give much of a sense of " I've won the island now" instead its, well we have it, do we want to spend 100k gold toward keeping it now? 

Instead with this war system it will be "haha the island is ours now we have more power and can put down an extra war token in 5 days if we hold it".  Its incentive for your company to still take as many islands as it can hold because that's more islands you can use to war somebody else and more island an enemy would have to war against to wipe your company. 

With all that said the biggest thing to take away from this whole post is that there shouldn't be a combat timer and they should work on actual incentive to go pvp, so it doesnt just feel like your trying to make your enemy's log out and quit the game. 

Remember even without a combat timer, you'll be able to navel battle anytime the opportunity arises, and groups of all sizes could maintain an island. Which will make the game more fun for all players except the ones that are only into offline raiding which I dont feel like the devs should cater to those players.  

Edited by Mike L

There are some really good ideas from everyone here, its great to see thought going into how to make the game.. a "Game". It really shouldn't be a second life. some people have Jobs, Families, Study, oh and a social life. 

The one thing I think the new players (xbox generation) will struggle with on PVP is the exhausting demand of having to always be online or join a massive company.

When the NA PVP xbodders log in on the 8th to find no islands to claim and defend, no way to logoff without being sunk and everything you own stolen, I guess they will all have to find a big company to join, give up and start a character on PVE only to find no islands left their either, or rage quit because this supposed pirate game only benefits the massive alliances/companies. In 10 days, these guys are going to face massive heavily armed fleets sinking anything that leaves a freeport dock. Even if they manage to leave a freeport, where do they logoff after exploring a sector or two when mom says, "Dinner time"

1 hour ago, Soliasis said:

Even if they manage to leave a freeport, where do they logoff after exploring a sector or two when mom says, "Dinner time"

In a claim flag peace timer of some island owner that wants settlers, duh...

There's unclaimed islands even in the most popular biomes, and even if there wasn't, probably like half of the claimed islands are owned by EU companies that are just playing in NA PVP until october 8th. On the other hand, can't xbox players just join stablished pc player companies if they are unable to find a spot?

2 minutes ago, Sheepshooter said:

In a claim flag peace timer of some island owner that wants settlers, duh...

Agreed, but what happens if they logoff for a few days. Not everyone can logon everyday or even find an island that lets you land. I found this weekend that that peacetime islands are either offline themselves or as its PVP no one will talk to you. If you are only online for a few hours, That limits you to travelling 1 or two sectors at most in a ramshackle sloop, so options are very limited.

Yes, agreed the xbodders will have to find someone that wants settlers, but how do they find that when they have no idea how to play the game to start with when they will just want to jump on and do something in game. We need a system in the game interface where you can search for people advertising for settlers, clan members so you can choose where to start and have a heading when you leave the freeport. It also needs to be patently clear in PVP that once you leave the safety of the freeport, you need to find a way to remain safe'ish  (other clans, allies, recruiting companies etc..), and that everything you own is vulnerable, even when you log off unless, you pay attention to peacetime counters. A quick start intro video to PVP life would go a long way I think

Well you are not save anywhere - fast decay in freeport.
And until they make changes on anchored ships (Agenda point 2, months out), or finally do the PVP balance (Agenda point Last, many months out) that is the problem of everything else in this game, no stuff will be save, even if you can be online 9 hrs/day doing nothing much to be ready for defense.
And now with the XBox-lowered structure limit and no land in sight for a build system change (stronger and or bigger structure parts) it will be even harder to not loose your ships in anchor even if you are online...
I get the new structure limit, sure, XBox is just a toy, they had to do it...
But it will make the situation worse for now, until there is meaningful change or they go full BattleArena/PVE/ShipInABottle on the PVP servers killing the game off...