Ralle

Large cannons in a sloop

Aye aye pirates,

I havent played in a  while, now i managed to get a sloop and crafted few large cannons. Somehow i can not place them on the sloop. Is this new that you can not place them in the Back?

i used it  to hunt ghost ships Back in those days 😕

13 minutes ago, Ralle said:

Aye aye pirates,

I havent played in a  while, now i managed to get a sloop and crafted few large cannons. Somehow i can not place them on the sloop. Is this new that you can not place them in the Back?

i used it  to hunt ghost ships Back in those days 😕

Large Cannons only work in gunports now.

20 minutes ago, zottel said:

Large Cannons only work in gunports now.

are you telling me that i cannot longer build a brigg with large cannons??

17 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

are you telling me that i cannot longer build a brigg with large cannons??

You can, but you have to place them on gunport
No more "all large cannons in the back" 🙂 

Yeah was about time to get rid of that cannon stacking. Mediums still work tho on the back

• Like 1

Oh thanks. 

Is there any "meta" sloop build to hunt Ghost ships as a Single Player?

I normaly Used large cannons to stay out of reach -,-#

7 minutes ago, Ralle said:

Oh thanks. 

Is there any "meta" sloop build to hunt Ghost ships as a Single Player?

I normaly Used large cannons to stay out of reach -,-#

Not sure if there is a sloop Meta, but medium Cannons still work on the back,just a bit more tricky. But i never Used a backloader apart from 1-2 Times just to try it out. But schooner brigs And galleons Working good with broadsides^^  but for the beginning you should use large Cannons for broadside, so you can just outrange them. 

10 hours ago, globytheoldpirate said:

You can, but you have to place them on gunport
No more "all large cannons in the back" 🙂 

thats all i needed to know ty

image.png.659675e14ccf131fdc8ac37bcba8d76e.png

the hability to highly customize you ship was one of the very few positive and iconic elemets of the game, if i wanted standarized ships i can just go to BDO wich is not in EA nor does it have identity problems, i simply have no idea what the hell they are trying to do with the game nor will i waste my time watching them destroy it even further

Edited by The D Legacy

15 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

the hability to highly customize you ship was one of the very few positive and iconic elemets of the game, if i wanted standarized ships i can just go to BDO wich is not in EA nor does it have identity problems, i simply have no idea what the hell they are trying to do with the game nor will i waste my time watching them destroy it even further

To be fair they changed that almost 2-3 month ago. While i agree ships Need to have more variations to them, i Totally agree with the decision to take away large Cannons from the back of the ship. Only using broadside ships was my own decision,so cant Blame People for that,but making all the erffort to get a mythical galleon And good Cannons just to See a schooner killing a Level 60 galleon  Without a scratch was just dumb And made ship BPs pointless

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, zottel said:

To be fair they changed that almost 2-3 month ago. While i agree ships Need to have more variations to them, i Totally agree with the decision to take away large Cannons from the back of the ship. Only using broadside ships was my own decision,so cant Blame People for that,but making all the erffort to get a mythical galleon And good Cannons just to See a schooner killing a Level 60 galleon  Without a scratch was just dumb And made ship BPs pointless

yeah that explains why i didnt know about it since i left the game like 4 months ago, one of the few things atlas did properly in a prirate themed mmo was the freedom of design. with that said you dont rly need a mythical galleon to take on a lvl 60 galleon, i see that more as a personal choice.

now you can do the same as before but you need to make much more maneuvers wich is stupid, placing cannons on the back was part of a personal decision wich had benefits and problems, so restricting it solves nothing to be honest. if there was a lack of balance between ship battles it should have been fixed by balancing ship specific stats or boosting mythical gear stats wich would also have added more value to them, destroying content for the sake of making something more inconvenient is a stupid decision, if they want to balance someting they should do it by adding value not the opposite

Edited by The D Legacy

Real ships did have Chase Guns

"From 1799 Royal Navy frigates were universally supplied with two bow and two stern chasers, "

I hate artificial limitations. If its physically possible to place a large cannon facing forward and back then if should be allowed.
If someone wants to build an ugly platform on the back of their ship to mount four large cannons (say) then so be it.

2 minutes ago, moozoo said:

Real ships did have Chase Guns

"From 1799 Royal Navy frigates were universally supplied with two bow and two stern chasers, "

I hate artificial limitations. If its physically possible to place a large cannon facing forward and back then if should be allowed.
If someone wants to build an ugly platform on the back of their ship to mount four large cannons (say) then so be it.

Okay, but what about the fact it would be excessively burdernsome to the game's coding architecture to accurately represent what the weight distribution would do to the ship's performance, because the problem isn't four large cannons on the back of the ship, it's that if you don't "artificially" limit the placement of cannons, people will build absurd monstrosities that would capsize in a heartbeat if even attempted irl, but work perfectly fine in a game engine absent "artificial" limitations. The bottom line is they can reign in exploitative builds this way.

I find it really weird to see people saying "if i wanted standarized ships" then defend canons on back.

While 95% of the ships were standarized with full large cannons on back when it was possible 🤔

While i understand People Dont like limitations in a Game, if those make limitations make blueprints, skills And feats valuable again it Needs to be done.they should have add a limitation so you can still have 2-4 Cannons on the back And front. Talking about possibility,you can still have a galleon with 105 Manned Cannons on One side 🙂

PVE:

SotD are just not fightable without back cannons.
Deves made different physics for them and playerships.
I cry then i meet them in a storm with sprouts, i can not go were i steer, they procede uneffected.
If you try a broadside fight they will steer into your ass. Try to turn a gally, i only watched it one time and said fuck it.

ASSBLASTER here i come.

Or not, i hate ship BP bullshit bingo.

Kumba out.

13 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Okay, but what about the fact it would be excessively burdernsome to the game's coding architecture to accurately represent what the weight distribution would do to the ship's performance, because the problem isn't four large cannons on the back of the ship, it's that if you don't "artificially" limit the placement of cannons, people will build absurd monstrosities that would capsize in a heartbeat if even attempted irl, but work perfectly fine in a game engine absent "artificial" limitations. The bottom line is they can reign in exploitative builds this way.

but was it fun?? yes it was, and isnt that what we all play games for?. I dont intend to be a drama queen or anything but i literally uninstalled the game again once i confirmed this info, this was one of the few things that made atlas different than other sailing games and actually added value to it

Edited by The D Legacy

5 hours ago, globytheoldpirate said:

I find it really weird to see people saying "if i wanted standarized ships" then defend canons on back.

While 95% of the ships were standarized with full large cannons on back when it was possible 🤔

"standarized design" means you dont get to decide whether you have or not cannons on the back

what you are describing is called "popular design"

5 hours ago, zottel said:

While i understand People Dont like limitations in a Game, if those make limitations make blueprints, skills And feats valuable again it Needs to be done.they should have add a limitation so you can still have 2-4 Cannons on the back And front. Talking about possibility,you can still have a galleon with 105 Manned Cannons on One side 🙂

i agree that skills, feats and blueprint as of now lack value and should be boosted tho

hail the one sided beast of the seas 😄

2 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

but was it fun?? yes it was, and isnt that what we all play games for?. I dont intend to be a drama queen or anything but i literally uninstalled the game again once i confirmed this info, this was one of the few things that made atlas different than other sailing games and actually added value to it

You may have enjoyed them, but I have seen a lot of people complain about them. My personal preference would be to stick to cannon configurations that wouldn’t automatically cause the ship to sink irl. I’m generally not someone who cares much about “immersion” but I have seen some absurd configurations that didn’t even pretend to be real world plausible. I think we should at least pretend that gravity is a thing and weight distribution matters, even if we don’t get into the weeds of minute detail about it.

23 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

I think your overstating what you lost and underestimating what you still have in terms of customization.

The fact is, if you built a wall of large cannons, you did it becuase it was a broken mechanic. Not becuase you preferred that particular style becuase of looks or speed or the intrinsic artistry of your creation. Just so as to make killing another ship as easy as possible. 

While I personally would have removed ALL cannons from the top deck, the devs knew there would be people, like yourself, who cried about fixing this exploit. So in their generosity they allowed ship cannons to still be utilized on top decks. So your really only mad that you cant exploit as hard as you used to be able too. You still have your cannon wall if you want it. And im positive you would bc thats what people do now as its the next best thing.

Now, as to building a custom ship, there are several ways to go about this with a combination of how you build your ship and how you level your ship. You can make a tank, or a fast mover, or a hauler, and spec the points as you see fit. With the ability to make a semi-broken wall of cannons on one side only that somehow still floats with the null gravity cannons.

Point is, uninstall for a good reason, not becuase you lost your favorite exploit.....months ago.

-CS

I've always laughed at the arse blasters I've seen on youtube.

If they would make the SotD have to deal with the wind and sea the same as players have to do. Battles with them would be better. 

As noted above, some historical ships did carry bow guns and stern chasers.  These guns were not the big guns of the ship but usually ones that were easily moved by the crew if they needed. Probably nothing more than nine pounders. Most of the time they were already installed.

If they were going to worry about weight, then they would have given us more dynamics and more to micro manage.

I don't mind putting one or two guns at the bow and stern.

7 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

I think your overstating what you lost and underestimating what you still have in terms of customization.

The fact is, if you built a wall of large cannons, you did it becuase it was a broken mechanic. Not becuase you preferred that particular style becuase of looks or speed or the intrinsic artistry of your creation. Just so as to make killing another ship as easy as possible. 

While I personally would have removed ALL cannons from the top deck, the devs knew there would be people, like yourself, who cried about fixing this exploit. So in their generosity they allowed ship cannons to still be utilized on top decks. So your really only mad that you cant exploit as hard as you used to be able too. You still have your cannon wall if you want it. And im positive you would bc thats what people do now as its the next best thing.

Now, as to building a custom ship, there are several ways to go about this with a combination of how you build your ship and how you level your ship. You can make a tank, or a fast mover, or a hauler, and spec the points as you see fit. With the ability to make a semi-broken wall of cannons on one side only that somehow still floats with the null gravity cannons.

Point is, uninstall for a good reason, not becuase you lost your favorite exploit.....months ago.

-CS

i find several of your assertions funny:

- "if you built a wall of large cannons, you did it becuase it was a broken mechanic"

i didnt, but if i did thats none of your bussiness, i play the game in the way i have fun with it, not in the way you can agree with it

-"Just so as to make killing another ship as easy as possible"

HOW DARE I NOT GO THE UNEFFICIENT/HARD WAY!!!!

-"the devs knew there would be people, like yourself, who cried about fixing this exploit"

one of the recurrent findings i observe in gaming forums is that when someone has no arguments whatsoever, but still wants to hate on someone else they use words like "crying" its funny because it depicts a person not only incapable of civilized conversation but also intolerant, simplistic and intelectually incompetent.

and in the same set of findings we can observe people re-defining game features to their own convenience, in this case iconic characteristics only atlas had like the hability to customize your ship suddenly become "exploits", when it was never referred as such by the developers (and i dare you prove me wrong on this)

oh and just so you educate your ignorant self: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_gun guns in the back were a thing..... wait werent they a exploit? god must be a terrible developer if he allows such exploits

-"I think your overstating what you lost and underestimating what you still have in terms of customization."

no, remember, customization is exploiting, customization is evil.

-"While I personally would have removed ALL cannons from the top deck"

i am sure you would have, many other people more inteligent than you and with actual coding capabilities have done it, because why inovate when you can just copy paste what others have done, thats one of the reasons atlas was initially atractive, because it wasnt your "standar" sailing game, i guess deviating from normality is scary for some people

-"So your really only mad that you cant exploit as hard as you used to be able too. You still have your cannon wall if you want it. And im positive you would bc thats what people do now as its the next best thing."

ty MOM but next time you try to pretent you know me at least get to know me first, just so you know i find that type of build overly simplistic and ugly, i dont see any point in sailing by the side of a SotD and one shot it, yet i am mature enough as to understand some people like it and have fun with it and i respect that

-"You can make a tank, or a fast mover, or a hauler, and spec the points as you see fit."

oh so i have your permission for it? .....such a level of arrogance

-"Point is, uninstall for a good reason, not becuase you lost your favorite exploit.....months ago."

i have several good reasons, this one was the last straw but not the first, once again you assume things because they are convenient to your retoric instead of talking to people and getting to know they reasons because why would you do that if your only intention is bitching right?

Edited by The D Legacy

5 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

You may have enjoyed them, but I have seen a lot of people complain about them. My personal preference would be to stick to cannon configurations that wouldn’t automatically cause the ship to sink irl. I’m generally not someone who cares much about “immersion” but I have seen some absurd configurations that didn’t even pretend to be real world plausible. I think we should at least pretend that gravity is a thing and weight distribution matters, even if we don’t get into the weeds of minute detail about it.

to be fair i have seen people complaining on how the boat move on the water, what i mean by that is that you cant please everybody, i would understand it and put up with it if it was a positive game decision that would drive lots of people back to the game, or if at least it added something to the game, but as far as i can tell it was none of them, in my eye is the oposite, it took a game feature that had value, and took a big chunk of that value away from it.

its a shame i deleted all my screenshots, but i can guaratee you that few cannons in the back of a briggantine look pretty realistic and stetically adequate, i can fully agree with you for the case of sloops/schooners but not for the relism behind it but for its cost, those ships + large cannons allowed a too cheap war potential with high mobility and low risk

i respect your vision of the game, but why tie ourselfs to realism in a virtual world where dragons exists?? i know we humans need the familiarity of realism to feel somewhat in own confort zone, is a psychological trait we all share, but i still think totally getting rid of it was unnecessary and devaluated the game

Edited by The D Legacy

1 minute ago, The D Legacy said:

to be fair i have seen people complaining on how the boat move on the water, what i mean by that is that you cant please everybody, i would understand it and put up with it if it was a positive game decision that would drive lots of people back to the game, or if at least it added something to the game, but as far as i can tell it was none of them, in my eye is the oposite, it took a game feature that had value, and took a big chunk of that value away from it.

its a shame i deleted all my screenshots, but i can guaratee you that few cannons in the back of a briggantine look pretty realistic and stetically adequate, i can fully agree with you for the case of sloops/schooners but not for the relism behind it but for its cost, those ships + large cannons allowed a too cheap war potential with high mobility.

i respect your vision of the game, but why tie ourselfs to realism in a virtual world where dragons exists?? i know we humans need the familiarity of relism to feel somewhat in own confort zone, is a psychological trait we all share, but i still think totally getting rid of it was unnecessary and devaluated the game

Four cannons on the back of a sloop isn't what I'd call a problem. Over 100 cannons stacked in a broadside apparently designed for that one encounter where you need to wipe out all of Tampa Bay in a single broadside (let's be honest, who *doesn't* fantasize about wiping out Tampa?) is more what bothered me. That's what I meant by exploitative designs. You have a point that strictly limiting canon placement does restrict creativity, which is definately a potential selling point on the game compared to other sailing games. Quite frankly I hadn't considered it from that point of view. In the long run a balance must be struck somewhere. Hopefully the devs can produce a system that balances some creative freedom with limiting exploitation. Off the top of my head I have no idea what that might be, but thankfully my paycheck doesn't depend on it.

*looks at the devs*

No pressure guys.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

You said you found me funny, but then seemed to be upset with my take. 

LOL don't be bitter, we all built the cannon wall. Be it on the side, back or front. We all did it for the same reason, because it was a broken mechanic. I did not suggest that you should not have done it. Only that you not play dumb about it, or to opine that you lost your customization ability as you built the same thing as most everyone else. If you don't like my calling it an exploit, then call it a broken mechanic. It was in the game, it was far too effective and created unintended interactions, and was fixed because of it. So use whatever term you have available to you that means the same thing.

Again, I want to say, you can still do anything you could with your boat with the ONE exception of using large cannons to make a 1 hitter quitter wall. I don't feel this is removing your ability to "customize" your ship in any meaningful way. 

I never stated anything about what a real boat can or cant do. Although, I would prefer better physics in the game. 

You were the one who made a post about uninstalling the game because of the loss of (1) type of weapon stacking that was OP to begin with. Maybe I interpreted it incorrectly, but it sure sounded like you were crying about it. You could have just uninstalled and not posted anything. Based on what you said.

On 8/26/2019 at 1:04 PM, The D Legacy said:

PS - Its ABILITY, not HABILITY. The "H" is not part of the word. I only say this because you spelled it the same way multiple times.

Edited by Chucksteak

4 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

You said you found me funny, but then seemed to be upset with my take.  

LOL don't be bitter, we all built the cannon wall. Be it on the side, back or front. We all did it for the same reason, because it was a broken mechanic. I did not suggest that you should not have done it. Only that you not play dumb about it, or to opine that you lost your customization ability as you built the same thing as most everyone else. If you don't like my calling it an exploit, then call it a broken mechanic. It was in the game, it was far too effective and created unintended interactions, and was fixed because of it. So use whatever term you have available to you that means the same thing. 

Again, I want to say, you can still do anything you could with your boat with the ONE exception of using large cannons to make a 1 hitter quitter wall. I don't feel this is removing your ability to "customize" your ship in any meaningful way.  

I never stated anything about what a real boat can or cant do. Although, I would prefer better physics in the game.  

You were the one who made a post about uninstalling the game because of the loss of (1) type of weapon stacking that was OP to begin with. Maybe I interpreted it incorrectly, but it sure sounded like you were crying about it. You could have just uninstalled and not posted anything. Based on what you said. 

PS - Its ABILITY, not HABILITY. The "H" is not part of the word. I only say this because you spelled it the same way multiple times.

It rly is a pity that i lost my screenshots, but i mean it when i say i never built a wall of cannons, my usual set up was a 8 large cannons right side + 8 large cannons back of my brigg, mostly because that way i dont need to go against the wind to use the full damage potential of my brigg, ofc it was fun to see some streamers do the galleon walling thing with like 40-50 cannons in 1 side but in my opinion so many NPCs while playing solo was unsustainable (unless you do a lot of maps, wich i dont like to do), at a point i considered placing them in the cannon ports since they weight less when they are placed in cannon ports and cannon ports are closed, but you cannot place large cannons under the deck of a brigg, wich in my opinions is pretty stupid since is supposed to be the second strongest battleship, so as you can see my intention was never to "exploit" anything (i know people did have that intention tho) it was more like i simply wanted to carry on with the vision o had of my ideal brigg.

i didnt clarify the other reasons for me to quit simply because i have stated what bothers me so many times that some people (or at least the people active in the forums) could find it rather annoying (my posts are like everywhere), the thing is what kind of feedback would you transmit when quitting in silence? i might not be willing to withstand the current state of the game but i still wish that atlas becomes a nice game someday, so i see mentioning 1 more of the reasons of why i am unhappy with the game as something positive (under the feedback context)

Ty for correcting me, i am not a native english speaker so misspelling happens, but its always good to know your mistakes to correct them, so you have my thanks.

Edited by The D Legacy