Sign in to follow this  
Ban Tier

New Lead Designer

Imo mainly it miss pirating activity related to "pve".

as already mentioned, we need raidable harbor, fortress, faction system, navy, merchant ship, trade route, etc. Ofc they have to be contestable by other players, but they should give content and a challange also without.

Actually the world is empty not because it lacks players (also that ofc), but mainly because there are no activity beside building and """pvp"""

Edited by Alasson
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Realist said:

Nah man, all else was good but once you said airships, you will single handedly kill water piracy. Nobody will ever see anyone unless they have the airship as well. That is a no go on that.

4 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Again, the point was never airships. You're dragging the conversation off topic for no good reason. The point is this is a pirate game without piracy. Airships have literally nothing to do with that point. I don't personally care whether the game has airships or not. I only even mentioned them as part of the fantasy element.

I think there is no need to even consider going any further with fantasy ideas, if the current content is crap it cannot serve as a fundation to anything else, why do i say this? simply because: i didnt log in 3 days ........AND MY FUCKING BEAR IS DEAD!! AGAIN!!!!  A..FUCKING..GAIN!!!

R.I.P "GG Easy II" you will be missed

@Jatheish

ggg.jpg.f344c6b77f7fda08ec66605109c7d99b.jpg

Edited by The D Legacy

15 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

I think there is no need to even consider going any further with fantasy ideas, if the current content is crap it cannot serve as a fundation to anything else, why do i say this? simply because: i didnt log in 3 days ........AND MY FUCKING BEAR IS DEAD!! AGAIN!!!!  A..FUCKING..GAIN!!!

R.I.P "GG Easy II" you will be missed

@Jatheish

ggg.jpg.f344c6b77f7fda08ec66605109c7d99b.jpg

What that sounded like was not so much wow. And by that I mean World of Warcraft .  That game is also fantasy but I don’t remember any bears dying from not logging in.

damn I miss wow. I am really hoping for a copy and paste wow to come to console. That would be awesome  

Edited by Realist

35 minutes ago, Realist said:

What that sounded like was not so much wow. And by that I mean World of Warcraft .  That game is also fantasy but I don’t remember any bears dying from not logging in.

damn I miss wow. I am really hoping for a copy and paste wow to come to console. That would be awesome  

if lions can rain from the sky anything is possible xD

are you going to wow classic?

Edited by The D Legacy

I really hope part of the new direction would be to change priorities to ships. Could even include airships and larger subs as long we get plenty of surface ships and submerged/air combat does not overpower surface ships but are rather new areas of adventure with their own challenges.

The pride of a pirate is his ship. It should stay with them for a long time and give many options to customize and improve. Either by not sinking when offline and to anything that hits it or by being able to lift the ship from the depths and repair it so you can continue with the same ship rather than replace, replace, replace. Should have a bit more emotional bond with our ship than with a bullet we shoot from our gun.
Landbases isnt so piratey would be more suitable designed towards pirate nests where pirates live together (not all in one happy alliance) but all kinds of groups to bargain and plan for their adventures and get all a pirate needs to set sail again as soon as possible. Not so much the current kill all on sight thing or no pvp at all, some consequences that make a good balance on both would feel more like a pirate world. For example stealing ships should be easier but you dont become the owner of the ship, a stolen ship is a stolen ship, everyone can see its not yours and the owner can track you and try to get it back at least for a week until it becomes your ship -> more pirate action, more actual pvp.

Edited by Linea
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Realist said:

So no pirates right? Cool

Fixed for you.

Also, so no console version right? Cool...

51 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

if lions can rain from the sky anything is possible xD

are you going to wow classic?

Man, if I still had my pc I would go all nostalgic on wow classic. I ended up just getting a laptop for both schooling and work. Not bringing a tower around anywhere. My Xbox is my pc now.

definitely jealous though. Almost thought about getting one just to play classic though. That would be the only pc game o would play. I have man of modan(pretty excited) coming out on the 30th. Loved until dawn. I like the whole interactive movie type game where every decision has a consequence. I also have borderlands 3(really fucking excited... yeah I actually cursed this time) coming on the 13th. God damn borderlands is so awesome. They always win with both storyline and gameplay.

2 hours ago, Realist said:

Man, if I still had my pc I would go all nostalgic on wow classic. I ended up just getting a laptop for both schooling and work. Not bringing a tower around anywhere. My Xbox is my pc now.

definitely jealous though. Almost thought about getting one just to play classic though. That would be the only pc game o would play. I have man of modan(pretty excited) coming out on the 30th. Loved until dawn. I like the whole interactive movie type game where every decision has a consequence. I also have borderlands 3(really fucking excited... yeah I actually cursed this time) coming on the 13th. God damn borderlands is so awesome. They always win with both storyline and gameplay.

WAIT A FUCKING SECOND!!!

I have just read that you can not longer place large cannons if not in a gunport, is that true??

18 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

In pvp a major consideration in this regard is the vulnerability of ships when players are offline. As the game is presently constructed, for pvp players to sail further afield than they are able to return to a heavily guarded defensive harbor within the same play session is a foolhardy exercise. If a core concept of Atlas is to remain exploration, it must become more feasible for pvp players to sail far without the need to return to base in the same play session.

Long  trips have been a huge issue since the begining, and it could be solved as easily as having the possibility to be able to park your ship in a freeport for as long as u need so you could split your trips in multiple stages if you need it. Maybe by despawning the ship when you log off on top of it, maybe by having and npc that store it for you or whatever system they want, with as many caps and restrictions as needed to avoid larger companies to exploit it to safely park a whole fleet there. I doubt something like this would hurt pvp a lot as imo would, making ships completely invulnerable while anchored, as some people have sugested in other threads. Yet nothing has been done in this area.

Dear Mister Erik,

I was told to ask you about a hat. I hope this is your top priority. Everything else can wait. 9 out of 10 Atlas players polled said that a hat would cover their heads so you can see the need. Moving forward I’m looking forward to going forward. Thank you for coming aboard.

Yours Truly,

Gomez

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

On 8/25/2019 at 8:56 AM, boomervoncannon said:

Dear Sir,

As a very famous and important forum personality I feel I should mention that my handwritten invitations to GrapeCard’s staff meetings to share my invaluable thoughts and ideas with you have all rather unfortunately gotten lost in the mail. No matter! Let us not dwell on the deficiencies of the postal service. Time is short my good man and there is much that needs doing. I am sure that you would have sought out my advice eventually anyway. I am doing you the kindness of preemptively providing it here, you may thank me later by ensuring my consulting invoice is paid promptly by accounting.

Major issues that inhibit the fun and limit the enjoyability of players Atlas experience:

1. Sailing is THE core pirate activity and should remain a core gameplay mechanic. However the act of sailing itself most players find too tedious. Some existing bits of gameplay like sextant, flotsam, shipwrecks, sotd’s and storms exist to break up the monotony of sailing but each of these systems needs further development with an eye towards making trekking across the Atlas an adventure rather than dull.

In pvp a major consideration in this regard is the vulnerability of ships when players are offline. As the game is presently constructed, for pvp players to sail further afield than they are able to return to a heavily guarded defensive harbor within the same play session is a foolhardy exercise. If a core concept of Atlas is to remain exploration, it must become more feasible for pvp players to sail far without the need to return to base in the same play session.

In pve this is far less of an issue, however pve players often feel there is less to sail and explore for. Reducing the number of islands which are cookie cutter versions of each other would help, as well as increasing the incentives for exploration beyond a discovery point system that feels very grindy for little benefit beyond a certain threshold. Since the ingredients for cooking are one of the things players need to travel for, expanding cooking by giving most of the foods a useful buff,  rather than just a few of them, would be one way to do this.

2. The defining act of piracy, raiding merchant shipping, is nonexistent in Atlas. In pve especially, this should be a major focus of adding content over tames and other peripheral add ons that do little to add to the pve players experience. It is inconceivable that Atlas holds itself out as pirate themed game yet 8 months into development there is not even the suggestion of actual piracy being added to game content. At present Atlas is pirate themed in name only, perhaps because there is no term for “people who plant gardens so they can tame animals so they can build shipyards so they can build ships with which to sail around for a bit and accomplish nothing meaningful before coming home to feed the animals.”

3.The game needs more things to do in groups in order to enhance the experience. Atlas is more or less completely failing to leverage one of the fundamental truths of the MMO genre, namely that it is the people you play with as much as the things you do that makes the experience fun and keeps players coming back. Not only is there no grouping mechanic, there is nothing to do as a group other than the kraken or the ice dungeon. Atlas needs more group content because in pve there is currently no particular reason you should join someone else’s company and in pvp the only reason is for mutual protection.

A game dominated by mega clans where a few people in leadership positions make all the decisions and do all the fun stuff like captaining the ship while the majority of pvp players are either peon grinders doing what amounts to an online job for no pay or small groups huddling in the shadows trying to eke out an existence where they don’t get wiped regularly by far larger groups does not sound like a game that screams fun to most players. This is currently what passes in large part for the social aspects of gaming in Atlas.

4. For a game that started its Early Access journey claiming it wanted to pattern itself on Eve, economy is nonexistent in Atlas. The few things that have been tried in the past like player shops, demonstrated a woeful understanding of matters economic by whoever was making the decisions before. I personally feel this is a major area where Atlas could be expanded in a direction players have vocally and repeatedly requested. By and large players did not come here to build farms and forts, tame elephants and bears, but to be pirates on the open seas. If the game’s economy were structured in such a way that there was both need and incentive for players to band together to move large quantities of resources back and forth over distance, then in pvp the defending and attacking of each other’s shipping moves the focus off land and onto the water, where everyone wants it to be. In pve this would help foster trade networks.

There is a lot to consider in revamping Atlas towards the goal of making it the ultimate pirate adventure. As someone who has been here from day one, who has 15 years experience playing MMORPG’s, and who has read, discussed and digested a lot of the feedback offered here on the boards, I offer these thoughts to you as you chart a new course for Atlas. Fair winds and Godspeed.

***It should be noted that all comments below are based on the PVE server.***

"1. Sailing is THE core pirate activity and should remain a core gameplay mechanic."

Agreed but in all honesty, I want to do that without spending 45 min crossing 2 zones. I do not mind running into damned and fighting them or outrunning them but traveling takes forever.  If I am looking for new blueprints, I go out and farm them. I understand what you are saying about making it easier (more interesting) to travel but I choose to leave traveling to strictly getting from point A to point B. That's Just me.

"2. The defining act of piracy, raiding merchant shipping, is nonexistent in Atlas."

As you have said, outside of running into the damned there is nothing else to do in the ocean until you murder the Kraken. After you have tamed 10k crabs you are back to doing nothing (building in my case). When I leave my island all I think about is how strong the wind is and how fast can I get to point B. Why can't we have NPC ships that you can stop and trade with or attack to take their stuff? Can you imagine if they traded you rare resources that are hard to find or better blueprints? Wouldnt you want to go out there and look for them? What if they had a reputation meter that would increase the rarity/quantity you receive from trading. To farm reputation could be the following quest: Follow "Red Beard" to the freeport and make sure that the ship survives the journey! There many different ways to help them or kill them and lose reputation. 

"4. For a game that started its Early Access journey claiming it wanted to pattern itself on Eve, the economy is nonexistent in Atlas."

The statement is too true. We have the ability to sell/trade items for gold, gold for items, types of items for items and yet we only have one option with the player shop. The system itself is not used and it is not rewarding at all. I want to have the "wanting" to travel to a different zone to play/trade with others. Instead, we do one even a week to keep us all together and then do our own things throughout the week. 

In conclusion, OP is most definitely correct. You cant develop the game based on hardcore players only. There has to be something for everyone.  

PS Edit: Not sure why the top part is empty...can't fix it either 😞

Edited by RipPaw
  • Like 1

Meh ..... pretty typical thread of crying about all the things we've heard on numerous occasions in the last 8+ months.  I will save my thoughts and opinions (crying) for another thread or perhaps after the live stream. 

Regardless, I will take this opportunity to welcome you (new guy) to the fun that is Atlas.  As much as I hate to use the "P" word, I will.  This game has so much "Potential" and I truly hope you can turn things around a bit.  Wish you the best of luck and looking forward to what you might bring to the table.

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

Meh ..... pretty typical thread of crying about all the things we've heard on numerous occasions in the last 8+ months.  I will save my thoughts and opinions (crying) for another thread or perhaps after the live stream. 

Regardless, I will take this opportunity to welcome you (new guy) to the fun that is Atlas.  As much as I hate to use the "P" word, I will.  This game has so much "Potential" and I truly hope you can turn things around a bit.  Wish you the best of luck and looking forward to what you might bring to the table.

Question:

If a game is doing extremely poorly after a massively active launch, at what point is feedback “crying” and at what point is it just trying to help the new guy get a handle on what players perceptions and concerns are?

• Like 3

I think Elmo is just being silly, as it appears he is saying his own opinion is just crying too. I'm sure that if

However, feedback just looks similar to 'crying' once things such as 'not possible to be a pirate and steal from merchants in pirate game' and 'economy appears non existent in game that hopes to have an economy that resembles eve' are brought up 50 times, yet again and again appear to be ignored. I think feedback on gameplay is legit 'crying' when the opinion is neither based on gameplay, nor from a player of said gameplay.

14 minutes ago, eeeceee said:

I think Elmo is just being silly, as it appears he is saying his own opinion is just crying too. I'm sure that if

However, feedback just looks similar to 'crying' once things such as 'not possible to be a pirate and steal from merchants in pirate game' and 'economy appears non existent in game that hopes to have an economy that resembles eve' are brought up 50 times, yet again and again appear to be ignored. I think feedback on gameplay is legit 'crying' when the opinion is neither based on gameplay, nor from a player of said gameplay.

Crying involves tears. We really need to make sure that we can confirm there are in fact tears present before we even try to use that word lol

• Like 1

to give the new guy my opinion.... Really this thread is for that? What's about the livestream q&a thread who get opened by the devs, specially for exactly this? 

I'm sure you get more luck to become heared there than here. Or you still think they read and care for sure about all the threads in here? 😂😂🙈

3 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

to give the new guy my opinion.... Really this thread is for that? What's about the livestream q&a thread who get opened by the devs, specially for exactly this? 

I'm sure you get more luck to become heared there than here. Or you still think they read and care for sure about all the threads in here? 😂😂🙈

The livestream Q&A thread was started August 5th, almost 3 weeks before the new lead designer was introduced to the community, and exists so that players may submit questions for the livestream event, not as a forum for players to offer feedback for the new guys consideration. This thread does indeed have a separate and distinct purpose to that one.

7 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

The livestream Q&A thread was started August 5th, almost 3 weeks before the new lead designer was introduced to the community, and exists so that players may submit questions for the livestream event, not as a forum for players to offer feedback for the new guys consideration. This thread does indeed have a separate and distinct purpose to that one.

If I read the posts here and these in the q&a thread, it's nearly the same. "can u implying these, can you program that...?" 

Haven't you read the new devblog? He, the new guy, will check then what the community wants, have some own ideas and a team with an existing roadmap. After checking all of these they will publish a new roadmap for Atlas. 

So once again: why open a second "whishlist" thread? There's one and that should be enough because it's up to you to place your opinion. There's no need for any player to discuss about the idea another had. Let this to the devs who earn money for that. Anyways you can't change or do anything.

11 minutes ago, Forb Hidden said:

If I read the posts here and these in the q&a thread, it's nearly the same. "can u implying these, can you program that...?" 

Haven't you read the new devblog? He, the new guy, will check then what the community wants, have some own ideas and a team with an existing roadmap. After checking all of these they will publish a new roadmap for Atlas. 

So once again: why open a second "whishlist" thread? There's one and that should be enough because it's up to you to place your opinion. There's no need for any player to discuss about the idea another had. Let this to the devs who earn money for that. Anyways you can't change or do anything.

Because the thread you cited had a different purpose, as I’ve already pointed out. Just because some of the things mentioned are the same doesn’t make them identical. As far as the notion that players shouldn’t discuss each other’s ideas on a discussion forum....I’m not not sure what to say about that....

If you don’t care to contribute here, no one is forcing you, but this thread harms no one, so posting here to say the thread shouldn’t exist is just shitposting. I have already pointed out how this threads purpose is meaningfully different from the livestream Q&A thread, your response seems to just willfully ignore this.

In Dollie’s Op of the livestream thread she makes two things clear: the thread is for submitting questions for the livestream, and that those questions should be brief. Providing feedback on your game experience for the benefit of the new designer is not the same as asking questions, and that feedback may not be brief, so again this thread serves a different purpose.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

Dear Sir,

As a very famous and important forum personality I feel I should mention that my handwritten invitations to GrapeCard’s staff meetings to share my invaluable thoughts and ideas with you have all rather unfortunately gotten lost in the mail. No matter! Let us not dwell on the deficiencies of the postal service.

Oh, I see.    The first thing you want to say to the new developer is about the deficiencies of the postal service.  Very nice.

For your information, the post office is being rebuilt.  It has been being rebuilt for weeks now.   First, the floors wouldn't place underwater where needed, then the walls refuse to snap properly unless bribed with triangular ceilings which cause the entire building to fall down if inadvertantly removed.  And when all that has been solved, the last wall will not place because it says it has no foundation support, even though foundation exists for miles around it in all directions.

You have no idea of the time and trouble that Atlas Mail has gone to in order to provide service to the embattled inhabitants of the map.  Rest assured, the postal service will soon resume operations with a new and improved post office, as long as nobody touches the triangular ceilings.

Atlas Mail - Let's go Postal.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Oh, I see.    The first thing you want to say to the new developer is about the deficiencies of the postal service.  Very nice.

For your information, the post office is being rebuilt.  It has been being rebuilt for weeks now.   First, the floors wouldn't place underwater where needed, then the walls refuse to snap properly unless bribed with triangular ceilings which cause the entire building to fall down if inadvertantly removed.  And when all that has been solved, the last wall will not place because it says it has no foundation support, even though foundation exists for miles around it in all directions.

You have no idea of the time and trouble that Atlas Mail has gone to in order to provide service to the embattled inhabitants of the map.  Rest assured, the postal service will soon resume operations with a new and improved post office, as long as nobody touches the triangular ceilings.

Atlas Mail - Let's go Postal.

No the first thing I wanted to say to the new developer is how famous and important I am. Famous and important people always tell you how famous and important they are. This is why Oprah has an entire magazine with her name on it, just to remind us “I’m Oprah, and you’re not.” Priorities.

As to the postal service, I sympathize entirely with its logistical challenges, but being famous and important (did I mention I’m both?) is a results oriented business. If the new lead developer (I can’t remember his name so let’s just call him Frederick Nathan Grimes to be clear) can’t bask in the warm glow of my earth shattering insights and consultative brilliance because he didn’t get the memo how will he ever know my vendor ID so he can approve my fees to accounting so my invoice can get paid? Famous and important people still gotta pay their personal protective service workers (bodyguard is such a pre millinium term) and the note on the Tesla.

Still, far be it from me to cast aspersions on your brainchild. It’s brilliant dahling. Everybody who’s anybody thinks so. But I do want to make it up to you, these things shouldn’t fester, my therapist says so. Have your people talk to my people, we should do lunch. Somewhere gluten free. Gluten free is the new vegan. I hear there’s a new place in G8 has a squid appetizer that’s to die for. Everybody who’s anybody has been seen there.

12 minutes ago, Kummba said:

@boomervoncannon 😍

Please get mail soon. Your view of the game and development is great.

You call yourself famous and important rightfully.

Kumba out.

Thank you dahling. It’s wonderful to hear from my fans. Could you do me a huge favor and wait to say that again when Beyonce’s In the room?

Love ya. 

Mean it.

11 hours ago, Realist said:

Crying involves tears. We really need to make sure that we can confirm there are in fact tears present before we even try to use that word lol

For sure. I think I saw some tears in a thread a week or two ago, but I think that was because someone insulted someones name. lol

I think someone talking about a game can also appear to be crying in instances when it appears that the devs are doing the reverse, and laughing at us. You know those guys, who lurk and say they quit because the game sucks, and only just hang around to see how bad things get - most of the time those guys are actually just talking about stuff that the devs appear to be laughing at.

Er, I just noticed that in PVE there is no offline protection, and there is also no offline protection mode for pvp besides the war timer thing. In ark, there was so many different game modes, including offline raid protection servers. Atlas sorely needs to be different to ark, but also use all the best bits from Ark. For example, PVE with offline protection is a no brainer - when it was added to Ark everybody breathed a sigh of relief. - edit Atlas has improved on many areas, ironically...

I think Atlas has failed so far compared to Ark, because it tried too little to be different to Ark, and the sailing times added to the resources logistics is just stupid. In Ark, it cost more to build a base than it did to raid it, but somehow people still had bases in this flawed game (contingency plans worked better and people could just rebuild). In Atlas, it is smarter to just raid peoples bases, until there is nobody left playing the flawed game. In Atlas, small companies have to grind bps, tame animals and then also sail hours to accomplish anything. In ark, small companies could have fun just because you could teleport much easier - you could go to a new server, xfer a tame or tame a new ptera, have fun then teleport home or whatever. I played solo pvp in Ark (with some alpha allies, but they sucked and i actually was asked to help them more than i asked for their help) and it was easily better than being in a mega. I tried to play solo in atlas and it was just too much tedium. Small companies, and raiding companies that are comprised of members from different alphas, or streamers and pro whatevers, bring the life to ark. Megas just quit once all the cool, active small companies quit.

The problem is that the devs are not actually game designers. They are just graphic artists and animators and "game producers" or people with good concepts for a game.

Basically, the devs make doll houses, virtual doll houses where you can walk around cardboard cutouts of what a real thing should be.... Every thing is just a cardboard cutout of what it should be. Everything is just a fancy raft, or a raft. Flying or not...

Sailing in Atlas could be unbelievably fun, and offer replay value, so could the quests and interacting with NPCS and building bases and .... everything. But yeah.... that is effort i guess. And talent?

Don't get me wrong, the devs have already made very special and unique games. Games that were game changers. Even without the polish, and traditional or fundamental game design elements. Many people note that Atlas has potential, and it is the same potential that Ark has, which is to be a another step further and something special enough that would prevent people from making fun of the no lifers who no lifer the game.

Edited by eeeceee