Sign in to follow this  
Dollie

Captain's Log 36: Dev Livestream!

Ahoy Pathfinders!

This Captain’s Log will cover news related to Blackwood, our upcoming Dev Livestream, the PTR and an introduction from our new Lead Designer! Let’s get right to it!

large.ATLAS_1.5_Final-5.jpg

:anchor: Designer Diary :anchor:

My name is Erik Waananen and I’m thrilled to be joining you today as ATLAS’ new Lead Designer. It’s my pleasure not only to formally introduce myself but also to give you an update on what’s coming next for the game. So let’s dive right in, shall we?

ATLAS is an incredible world full of action, adventure, discovery, and community. And while a number of you are enjoying yourselves in-game, I think we can all agree that ATLAS has somewhat struggled to “find its sea legs” since its initial Early Access launch in December. My job will be to help the game get its bearings and -- together with the rest of the dev team -- work with a singular mission in mind:

Make ATLAS the ultimate pirate experience.

Achieving this goal will be no small task. We have a lot of work to do and it’s going to take a good deal of time and effort to accomplish it. But we will get there, especially with your continued feedback and support. Your constructive thoughts and criticism are all extremely helpful to us, so please keep them coming.

I’d like to announce that we’ll be hosting a very important developer stream next week on Wednesday, August 28th at 2:00 pm PDT. The main focus of this stream will be the reveal of an entirely new roadmap for ATLAS. We’ll also be addressing a number of the community’s questions and concerns about the current state of the game. I don’t want to spoil anything for you just yet, but suffice it to say there’s a big “change in the wind” coming to ATLAS and you definitely won’t want to miss it.

Sorry to keep you all waiting a bit longer, but I promise we’ll provide more details and answers soon. Until then, keep a weather eye on the horizon and we’ll see you on Wednesday!

Erik Waananen
Lead Game Designer, ATLAS

:anchor: Blackwood Update :anchor:

The ancient serpentine boss, Anacthyon, is poised to slither onto the Blackwood variation of the ATLAS with today’s update.

large.snakeboss_sss.png

Along with this new boss, Blackwood includes:

• The full ATLAS experience (including all your favorite features and mechanics) merged into a single 1x1 server grid.
  • 7 unique biomes across 11 islands, from hazy bogs teeming with life to mysterious jungles full of danger and toil.
  • Resource-rich islands complete with every material from the core game.
  • New cities and outlying areas ideal for roleplaying and server events.
  • A beautiful mermaid city ripe for exploration.
  • A new boss arena featuring unpredictable enemy types and spawn locations.
  • The Forbidden Reach: a hard mode island featuring elemental beings.

Other iconic ATLAS content, such as Army of the Damned mobs, all 9 Power Stone locations, the Fountain of Youth, your favorite tameable creatures, and much more...

Blackwood is free for anyone who already owns ATLAS. It is available for play in Singleplayer mode, Non-Dedicated Server mode, and on Unofficial Servers that opt to host the map.

:anchor: Livestream Q&A Thread :anchor:

With the Dev LiveStream drawing closer, we’d like to take this opportunity to remind you that we have an official “Livestream Q&A” thread running to help us collect your questions regarding the things you care about and answer some of them on-stream. There have been some great questions submitted thus far, so please keep them coming!

:anchor: Public Test Realm  :anchor:

If you haven’t checked out the PTR and some of the changes which will be coming in the next Mega Patch, it is still available for players for a limited time. Thank you to those of you who have been running the PTR through its paces and helping us identify bugs and issues along with giving feedback. 

The PTR includes:

• Alternative map layout (note: we've not yet determined whether this layout will make it to the current existing official servers)
  • In-game voice chat
  • Updated Waveworks (Ocean - including the waves, and performance changes for server and client)
  • Sail Cosmetic (Available at Freeport Vendors)
  • Hydra Revolver (Available at Freeport Vendors)
  • Miscellaneous client and server-side performance improvements

Info on joining the PTR can be found here

:anchor: Live Game Patches :anchor:

v218.27

- Fixed a bug that allowed players to gain massive height when running into the corner of a raft or dinghy
- Fixed a bug that allowed players to gain massive height when climbing really tall ladder set ups
- Fixed a bug which allowed players to base on top of submarines
- Fixed a bug which allowed seated npcs to shoot puckles through walls
- Ended 2x Magic Mythos Event

v218.25

- Enabled 2x Harvesting, Taming, XP, and Gold on our Official Network
- Fixed rope ladders so that they can now be rotated when placed on wooden catwalks
- Fixed 2-handed weapons able to used interchangeably, bypassing the weapon equipment timer using the Q hotkey.
- Fixed a bug where critical strike could be used with other weapons by removing the buff if you switch to a different weapon.
- Fixed a bug where projectile mesh wasn't showing correctly for singleplayer.
- Fixed a bug which would cause players to throw out their gear by accident at low server fps when using "O" instead of "E" to unequip currently equipped gear.
- Fixed a bug which allowed diving platform to be placed on top of a cargo rack.

Credit to globytheoldpiratelarge.globytheoldpirate_resize.jpg

That's it for this Captain's Log. We look forward to communicating what we've been up to (and what we plan to get up to) in the Livestream!

:wheel:

Happy Sailing,

Grapeshot Games

:skull: For the latest dispatch on #playATLAS keep yer one good eye trained on this here information :skull:

Natter n' chatter on Discord: https://discord.gg/playatlas
Navigate ye olde Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/playatlas
Hear ye, hear ye on Twitter: https://twitter.com/sailtheatlas
Watch us scallywags on Twitch: http://twitch.tv/sailtheatlas
Plus ye can band with us Pirates on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/playatlasgame

View full article

Welcome aboard Erik 😄 hope you prove as a worthy Captain Designer And bring new live to atlas^^

• Like 2

Thank God. Well overdue and perhaps too late. Star citizen will probably be released before atlas at this rate..

Edited by Enki Anunnaki

Welcome aboard, Erik. You will have much work to do. Maybe a good start would be to refocus on the MMO side of Atlas. Right now the playerbase is shrinking by the week and GS is focused on a single player map.....

23 minutes ago, Wolff said:

GS is focused on a single player map.....

What singleplayer map? If you talk about Blackwood its not a single player map but a mod map for private servers.

2 minutes ago, Begur said:

What singleplayer map? If you talk about Blackwood its not a single player map but a mod map for private servers.

Semantics. It still boils down to the original MMO focus being abandoned recently.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wolff said:

Semantics. It still boils down to the original MMO focus being abandoned recently.

Even i only play on private server i have to agree

"A new boss arena featuring unpredictable enemy types and spawn locations"
This is legit what's bad about every single cave in ARK and in ATLAS.
Unpredictable enemy types, not so much, but the random spawn locations is just trash in your caves. A cheap way of getting out of having to structure a cave challenge. Just make everything random. Worse, your mobs spawn inside the walls. It was an issue on day 1 of ARK and it's an issue to this day in both ARK and Atlas. Please, come up with a fix.

Edited by HighFlyer15

good game with a lot of future, a lot is still missing, but you can play nice.
I recommend the company an improvement in crew members, because they are the soul of the game,
put them to sing,
-dance,
-have more villages with more crew members,
- crew members pirate ships,
-invasions to crew members' ships,
-the bank render coins in singleplayer.
- ships with more details, as is black flag, it is not ugly to copy good ideas from other games, ugly is to make your game inferior to other games.
- CREW MEMBERS FIX THE SHIP

for god sake, finally adjusting the winds, was about time, first step you take is a correct one my friend, keep it up

Edited by The D Legacy

Welcome aboard Erik , Have you heard about SOTF? it's a very nice game mod of ark if you can somehow implement that into Atlas it will be Sick.Because developping the competing scene into Atlas will Attract a Lot of Player that's for sure.Many ppl like Esport games nowadays

See you on The seas:pirate_mask:

yacque your great Pathfinder(even if i always get lost).

Welcome Erik,

Atlas has stagnated during this summer, lets hope you can turn that ship around to catch some wind in it's sails again.. goodluck and hope to see you do some good...

Edited by wicked

Stop any focus on single player/private server and completely focus on MMO.

Or

Completely focus on private servers and abandon the MMO.

Stop doing both. We don't want ark -2.0

you guys need to get it out of your head that players want player management system. As a gamer, I would love to game not spend 60% of my time managing how my character lives healthy. I do enough of that in real life. What vitamin he needs to eat and What vitamin he doesn't need to eat. when you talk to 90% of the player base they just killed themselves to get around the mechanic what a great game mechanic you put in your game

let's move on to the second topic who wants to reload a shity game reloading reloading game for your gun. I want to push the button to reload it I don't want to play a secondary game or if I don't press it at a certain time WTF lol. I can't think of off the top of my head of any successful major game that has a reloading mini game function in their game.

It's the little things in quality of life when you're playing the game that just makes it unplayable

A new game designers but still old broken game mechanics

Edited by SCE_Deadeye
  • Like 3

Your game is dying, it is on a 2.5k peak players on a game supposed to be a MMO.

Why are you focusing only on Singleplayer and Single server maps?

Official network is completely dead, unoffical is slowing walking to that status.

I'm guessing developers are busy with another ARK DLC since its seems a better way to profit from the playerbase.

• Like 1

Welcome Erik, I very much look forward to the Live stream tonight.
I certainly hope the that previous major updates that included doing wipes will be a great example of how the "good will" of the player base gets significantly impacted, especially as there was no return on time investment for those that decided to remain loyal to the cause. You lost a vast amount of players during the last event.. can you survive another exodus?

On a personal note. We invest many hundreds/thousands of hours building beautiful places to live, ships to sail, collecting wonderful gear and resources and capturing and breading powerful tames, ready for the next series of adventure and excitement and then.. bosh..... here, start again..... it's OK though, "we have introduced a new island" #ThumbsUp  #GoGrapeshot
And yes, I get the "in the interest of fairness" part, if wipes are necessary, you cant be seen to bias anyone just because they played a lot, however, there is only a certain amount of time people will put up with having their hard work thrown away and exiled to the depths our memories.  

Best of luck for tonight, I hope you have some great news for us

Soliasis

On 8/28/2019 at 8:01 AM, Soliasis said:

Welcome Erik, I very much look forward to the Live stream tonight.
I certainly hope the that previous major updates that included doing wipes will be a great example of how the "good will" of the player base gets significantly impacted, especially as there was no return on time investment for those that decided to remain loyal to the cause. You lost a vast amount of players during the last event.. can you survive another exodus?

On a personal note. We invest many hundreds/thousands of hours building beautiful places to live, ships to sail, collecting wonderful gear and resources and capturing and breading powerful tames, ready for the next series of adventure and excitement and then.. bosh..... here, start again..... it's OK though, "we have introduced a new island" #ThumbsUp  #GoGrapeshot
And yes, I get the "in the interest of fairness" part, if wipes are necessary, you cant be seen to bias anyone just because they played a lot, however, there is only a certain amount of time people will put up with having their hard work thrown away and exiled to the depths our memories.  

Best of luck for tonight, I hope you have some great news for us

Soliasis

"Livestream" Ye right. ROFL.

Dear Erik,

Decay has to go. 

Away with any building and ship decay or I will stay away. 

Find a better solution. (wipes to trash the userbase ain't a solution, btw.)

But now when I think about it. Don't get me even started what you have to make better to get me back. 

If I can get through to you and give you an idea of how to "Make ATLAS the ultimate pirate experience." :

Look at what made the Games like Sid Meier's Pirates!  or Ascarons Port Royale2 great.
Look what keeps other MMORPs like Eve,LOTRO alive. 
Give us some protected vaults, banks, ship/commodity/landclaim auctions. 
Taverns, Wenches(client-settings conan like)
Now get PVP under control with a faction/crimestat system like Privateer or Freelancer and you are mostly done. 

GUYS! Just imagine a UE4 Engine driven Pirates! with all the above Features. That's  your ultimate Pirate experience.

If you are true to your statement you do exactly what I told you, and success will follow.
If you are mostly ignorant as the other devs mostly are, do your thing, micromanage vitamins, tame stupid lizards, grind buildings to dust in days, procedure generate quests, I don't care anymore.

godspeed

ATLAS has been extremely boring as of late and many of us have been eagerly awaiting some new innovation to the PVP MMO aspect.

It used to be that I could check in once a week, just to keep my structures alive in hopes that one day you guys would finally fix all of the buggy game mechanics for the PVP servers but it seems you guys have added in structure decay and ALL of my bases have finally decayed. Now, I have absolutely nothing left to keep my interest in your game.

Good going...RIP ATLAS!

Edited by vaylain