Sign in to follow this  
RipPaw

alone What are you doing when playing alone?

Hello fellow pirates!

I have decided to pick all your brains for some ideas about playing alone. This does not mean that I play alone but in case of other being out or difference in time etc. Just an FYI, I play on an awesome server and you all more than welcome to come and hang out with us. 

So, let's get to it. As I have mentioned in the title above, please let me know what you all do when you are alone whether waiting for friends to log on or playing on single player. 

I for example like to build, do low-level maps, farm blueprints, and farm possibly going to farm damned as we are getting ready to kill the Kraken. 

Here is a photo of my animal pen 😉

pStyZ5A.jpg

I build.... A LOT.

I also have built specialty ships (whaling, speed, SOTD killers, etc) and spend some time here and there just doing that.  One thing I have fun doing is just grabbing my exploration gally and going on walkabout.  I've gone "around" each poles and the equator.  I'm going to try a diagonal run next. Each time took me between 3-5 days depending on how much I am logged in and how much I stop to explore.  I load up on mats for blueprints and such and look around for decayed bases and unclaimed tames. Whatever floats my boat (pun TOTALLY intended)

I have tried about everything (breeding wasn't for me).  Whenever I see a newbie show up on my island I help them out as I am loaded with crap. I will say I am missing some of the higher content being a solo player.  But I still have fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Olthoi said:

I build.... A LOT.

I also have built specialty ships (whaling, speed, SOTD killers, etc) and spend some time here and there just doing that.  One thing I have fun doing is just grabbing my exploration gally and going on walkabout.  I've gone "around" each poles and the equator.  I'm going to try a diagonal run next. Each time took me between 3-5 days depending on how much I am logged in and how much I stop to explore.  I load up on mats for blueprints and such and look around for decayed bases and unclaimed tames. Whatever floats my boat (pun TOTALLY intended)

I have tried about everything (breeding wasn't for me).  Whenever I see a newbie show up on my island I help them out as I am loaded with crap. I will say I am missing some of the higher content being a solo player.  But I still have fun.

That is awesome, fortunately for me, I can make the diagonal trip in probably an hour or two due to map only being a 5x6 🙂 Yes, I also stop and document what resources are on what islands due to needing all of them for the construction of better ships/blueprints. Breeding takes too long, don't have that much time unless it is a free weekend. 

Thank you for sharing 😉

• Like 1

I would offer my single player experience here, but I uninstalled the game.

Still waiting for "Atlas to be great again"......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sgzeroone said:

Aren´t you interested to come back and play together? What did u make quit?

Spend about half my time playing solo on public servers, even though 3 other group members are sometimes available. Most solo time is spent preparing for map hunting via gathering maps, or long-range re-positioning for the same.

I tweaked a Galleon to act as a high-speed mobile deployment base, and I am not as allergic to long range travel as the others, so it is something of a group service to make the time they can invest a little more exciting and rewarding.

I sit in the bushes outside Olivia Munn’s house, eating Cheetos and watching...

always

watching.

Oh you meant when I’m alone in Atlas....ohhhhhhhh.......build mostly. Sometimes I paint frescoes on the backs of giant turtles that say things like: IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU’RE TAILGATING, JUST GO AROUND

• Like 1

Maintenance (in case they do get their act together at some point), then log off to play something that's actually fun.

• Haha 3

On 8/23/2019 at 3:18 PM, sgzeroone said:

Thank you for answering anyways, any input is better than no input. Believe me, sometimes I want to do the same. Especially because never-ending farming for food/gold is getting old. Building helps but it is just a filler. 

On 8/23/2019 at 5:37 PM, Pete Rottedtoof said:

Am I the only fool playing alone on official?  My fun time is spent filling feed troughs around the world in hopes friends will come back.

This is exactly why I asked because the actual single-player experience is not an experience of any kind. The quests are impossible to do alone, and the end game is just unattainable. Fortunately for you, I still do what you are doing in single-player, in multiplayer.

Let us wait for the encampments, the merchant ships and the promised huge amount of quests. I'm sure there will come a lot of content.

I like to play the game as it was intended to be played.

So when I'm alone I sail around looking for real pirate strong holds, lawless is fun, but finding a claimed island under attack timer works too. Now that the decay thing has been cleaned up (thanks devs, that was really needed), what you see is recent and likely full of loot if it hasn't already been pirated.

Once you find a good one, usually built with stone and large enough to look like its protecting something, I go to work. Look at the timers to see how long they have been offline first. If you assume some things, you can work out a rough time line of when to expect them to return. I use this to establish my window of attack. People usually log on about the same time each day, or about 24hrs since they last logged on. So while they are out, we can give them something to do when they get back. 100 grenades will usually get you in just about anywhere in just a few minutes. Take a boat that can hold some weight ofc to haul back anything good you find. The best things are finished products. This is a great way to spend time at sea, and is more fun than actually having to harvest your own resources. The bonus is that everything is tax free, and the knowledge that you are playing with other people the way the devs intended through incentives.

10 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

I like to play the game as it was intended to be played.

So when I'm alone I sail around looking for real pirate strong holds, lawless is fun, but finding a claimed island under attack timer works too. Now that the decay thing has been cleaned up (thanks devs, that was really needed), what you see is recent and likely full of loot if it hasn't already been pirated.

Once you find a good one, usually built with stone and large enough to look like its protecting something, I go to work. Look at the timers to see how long they have been offline first. If you assume some things, you can work out a rough time line of when to expect them to return. I use this to establish my window of attack. People usually log on about the same time each day, or about 24hrs since they last logged on. So while they are out, we can give them something to do when they get back. 100 grenades will usually get you in just about anywhere in just a few minutes. Take a boat that can hold some weight ofc to haul back anything good you find. The best things are finished products. This is a great way to spend time at sea, and is more fun than actually having to harvest your own resources. The bonus is that everything is tax free, and the knowledge that you are playing with other people the way the devs intended through incentives.

I'm pretty sure that can open a shitstorm. Lot of people aren't amused about offline raiders. 🙈

Exactly. I think its the #1 reason why people don't currently play in the numbers that they did a few months ago. 

So I ask myself, why is it sooo much cheaper and takes sooo much less time to blow a hole in a building than it does to make one?

Obviously, its how they intended it to work. Its unfortunately efficient and rewarding to steal 100k of each resource. Or even better, to use thier mats and thier smithy to craft a shit load of walls, cieling, and foundations and sail off with a castles worth of structures.

Its not how I would design the game. Id prefer a more compelling scenario involving more skill. Hell id settle for just making it much much more expensive to break into a building. Balance the scales and such.

9 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

I'm pretty sure that can open a shitstorm. Lot of people aren't amused about offline raiders. 🙈

100% agreed. Forcing someone to be on 24/7 to protect their hard work while they were on is unacceptable. If I had to log in every day and start from the beginning, I would have left the game too. 

• Like 1