gregopeck

How Much Fortitude Is Enough?

I hate dying because of freezing or overheating, so I tend to put almost all of my per level stat increases into fortitude. At my level right now (single player Ocean map) this seems almost always ok, I occasionally get too cold or hot. However, in my Blackwood game, I'm just starting out, doing the same, but I'm freezing to death. So, how much fortitude should I raise? Is fortitude really very effective at keeping extreme, deadly temperatures at bay? I feel like it's not very effective and that I may be perhaps wasting my stat points. What do you think? It'd be cool if we could get something like the ghille suit in Ark that helps with hot temperatures. 

2 hours ago, gregopeck said:

I hate dying because of freezing or overheating, so I tend to put almost all of my per level stat increases into fortitude. At my level right now (single player Ocean map) this seems almost always ok, I occasionally get too cold or hot. However, in my Blackwood game, I'm just starting out, doing the same, but I'm freezing to death. So, how much fortitude should I raise? Is fortitude really very effective at keeping extreme, deadly temperatures at bay? I feel like it's not very effective and that I may be perhaps wasting my stat points. What do you think? It'd be cool if we could get something like the ghille suit in Ark that helps with hot temperatures. 

Parrots when worn on shoulders provide insulation like the otter in Ark. When I lived in the tundra I tended to carry around 50 fortitude, but  I think the devs may have tinkered with it some since then. 

just keep all your vitamins up for 30 min, this gives you 30 fortitude and 10% movement speed bonus its all you really need for this stat. I live in tundra and 30 fort is all I ever need.

• Like 1

All depends on what you do in the game. Fortitude is an all-arounder stat. I have atleast 60 for and 90 witg equalibrium. Fort lets you run longer dive longer take less damage use food/drink less vitamins go down slower. If you are taming crabs running endgame content or just wanting to not search for food as much the more you have the better. 

5 hours ago, gregopeck said:

It'd be cool if we could get something like the ghille suit in Ark that helps with hot temperatures. 

You get an armour against the heat. It's called: clothe-armour. Read the stats and you will see, it's the only one who helps against the heat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

You get an armour against the heat. It's called: clothe-armour. Read the stats and you will see, it's the only one who helps against the heat.

Yeah but in Ark you also had cloth which helped minimally against heat but ghillie suits are much stronger. Atlas essentially has the same temp issues but no equivalent to ghillie. Cloth helps a little but is mostly weak sauce.

7 hours ago, seruum said:

All depends on what you do in the game. Fortitude is an all-arounder stat. I have atleast 60 for and 90 witg equalibrium. Fort lets you run longer dive longer take less damage use food/drink less vitamins go down slower. If you are taming crabs running endgame content or just wanting to not search for food as much the more you have the better. 

I’ve never heard anything about fort letting you run longer. That’s pretty much what stamina does.

If you get the vitamin buff up and skill another 20 fortitude, you should be safe in each biome. 

If you craft better armours, you can spend the points in another stats.

So I don't see any need for another armour. At least it's not ark with volcano biomes, deserts with sandstorms or else.

To my knowledge, spending 30 points in fortitude will increase your hyper and hypo by 50 insulation points without armor, vitamins or parrot. Vitamins will increase fortitude by another 30 fortitude points so + 50 insulation points to the first 50 insulation points = 100 insulation points.  Parrots supposed to increase fortitude per its actual level but to my knowledge that number is unknown. Some say it scales with the parrot's melee attack. For science, we are going to say another 30 fortitude points making our insulation points = to 150 points. 

Now we need to talk about armor. We can have cloth which will provide insulation against heat and cold, fur will give insulation against cold and negative heat. The plate armor is similar to fur but mostly for melee.

Cloth armor                                                                     New armor stats including the above 150 points of insulation.

Hypo = 29                                                                       179
Hyper = 60                                                                      210   

Fur armor                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Hypo = 216                                                                    366
Hyper = -130                                                                  20

The Plate                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Hypo = 47                                                                      197
Hyper = -42                                                                    108

Be mindful that the above numbers are not fortitude points and are actual insulation points.

Meaning the following: wearing gear, having the equilibrium boost, placing at least 30 fortitude points into fortitude and having a parrot on your shoulder will provide you approximate numbers reference Hypo and Hyper insulation mentioned under "New armor stats including the above 150 points of insulation."

Anyways, the point of all this was that I make sure that I have at least 60 points in fortitude, 700 weight and the rest in health and stamina.

Warning: All information mentioned above is taken either from Atlas Wiki or in-game statistics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RipPaw said:

To my knowledge, spending 30 points in fortitude will increase your hyper and hypo by 50 insulation points without armor, vitamins or parrot. Vitamins will increase fortitude by another 30 fortitude points so + 50 insulation points to the first 50 insulation points = 100 insulation points.  Parrots supposed to increase fortitude per its actual level but to my knowledge that number is unknown. Some say it scales with the parrot's melee attack. For science, we are going to say another 30 fortitude points making our insulation points = to 150 points. 

Now we need to talk about armor. We can have cloth which will provide insulation against heat and cold, fur will give insulation against cold and negative heat. The plate armor is similar to fur but mostly for melee.

Cloth armor                                                                     New armor stats including the above 150 points of insulation.

Hypo = 29                                                                       179
Hyper = 60                                                                      210   

Fur armor                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Hypo = 216                                                                    366
Hyper = -130                                                                  20

The Plate                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Hypo = 47                                                                      197
Hyper = -42                                                                    108

Be mindful that the above numbers are not fortitude points and are actual insulation points.

Meaning the following: wearing gear, having the equilibrium boost, placing at least 30 fortitude points into fortitude and having a parrot on your shoulder will provide you approximate numbers reference Hypo and Hyper insulation mentioned under "New armor stats including the above 150 points of insulation."

Anyways, the point of all this was that I make sure that I have at least 60 points in fortitude, 700 weight and the rest in health and stamina.

Warning: All information mentioned above is taken either from Atlas Wiki or in-game statistics. 

For science! Thanks for the really detailed reply. Before I wrote this, I didn't realize the vitamin level gave a boost. I'm often wearing cloth armor to protect against the heat. Sometimes I'm naked, because I forgot to dress after exiting the diving suit. Sadly, also, I recently froze to death while wearing the diving suit. I checked my character recently and I think I have about 40 fortitude. I haven't tamed a parrot yet and I wonder and hope it could survive underwater long enough for me to get the ship wreck loot.

• Haha 1