Sign in to follow this  
boomervoncannon

Why everyone who cares about Atlas should have a close look at No Man's Sky

10 hours ago, znasser said:

Imo, once you have the double harvesting skill, all the handharvesting skills, the 250% encumbered speed skill and high damage legendary or mythic tools, during those ten minutes you'll beat any animal at their thing except bears. Now we rarely use an animal to gather mats if its not fiber.

That is sad. Not on your part but just in general. 😔

i think for atlas an even better comparison than no man's sky would be final fantasy 14 which is an mmo as well and suffered a similar fate but made it into an incredible success.

you can see the relative trend in the steam charts but the steam players are only a tiny amount of players in the game 😉

there where also high expectations of the game and they tried to do things a bit different. when they released it the system they created did not turn out as planned. it simply wasnt fun for the players and did not keep them playing for a long time. They took the time to redo the gameplay mechanics completely and did a relaunch with the version 2.0 and it was a great success. considering that atlas still is in early access and not a release version like ff14 that also does require a subscription fee and managed to increase its playerbase with every addon for many years now, atlas has more than just a chance to become a really great game.

we dont know what the devs are up to right now but even when the gamemechanic doesnt work initially -> fixing it, creating a place for all players and providing a massiv amount of stuff to do can still make an incredible success.

57 minutes ago, Linea said:

i think for atlas an even better comparison than no man's sky would be final fantasy 14 which is an mmo as well and suffered a similar fate but made it into an incredible success.

you can see the relative trend in the steam charts but the steam players are only a tiny amount of players in the game 😉

there where also high expectations of the game and they tried to do things a bit different. when they released it the system they created did not turn out as planned. it simply wasnt fun for the players and did not keep them playing for a long time. They took the time to redo the gameplay mechanics completely and did a relaunch with the version 2.0 and it was a great success. considering that atlas still is in early access and not a release version like ff14 that also does require a subscription fee and managed to increase its playerbase with every addon for many years now, atlas has more than just a chance to become a really great game.

we dont know what the devs are up to right now but even when the gamemechanic doesnt work initially -> fixing it, creating a place for all players and providing a massiv amount of stuff to do can still make an incredible success.

Yeah that is a cool and all but when I played ffxiv i was playing on Playstation and there were plenty of people. We are talking 3 years ago mind you.

this game is nothing like final fantasy. It lacks vision and especially content. Final fantasy did not. That is a very bad comparison.

there are certain rare games that everyone will buy no matter what because they already know it will be good. Final fantasy, “resident evil”(no matter what it will be awesome), borderlands, etc.

this is a niche game that I will never be allowed to be compared to any main success because that is not possible. Even ark can’t be compared to CoD, Halo, GoW. And ark sold so many copies for what it was that it was pure success.

atlas is mediocre but not because of the launch. It is because it is a niche game that will be a mediocre game. Nobody’s fault, it just is what it is. If it had any chance at all it would have already shined.

i mean imagine if the launch was a success like ark right? Not only would they have maintained people for “the first month” they would still be maintaining that amount. That is drastically not the case. Even with the people desperately trying to either keep new people playing or being old players still playing, people saying the game is “EA” it is like nah man, this is way before EA even 8 months after lol.

but yeah, we can’t compare a behemoth like final fantasy wil atlas. That is almost pure disrespect At that point.

Edited by Realist

8 minutes ago, Realist said:

Yeah that is a cool and all but when I played ffxiv i was playing on Playstation and there were plenty of people. We are talking 3 years ago mind you.

this game isn’t nothing like final fantasy. It lacks vision and especially content. Final fantasy did not. That is a very bad comparison.

there are certain rare games that every will buy no matter what because they already know it will be good. Final fantasy, “resident evil”(no matter what it will be awesome), borderlands, etc.

this is a niche game that I will never be allowed to be compared to any main success because that is not possible. Even ark can’t be compared to CoD, Halo, GoW. And ark sold so many copies for what it was that it was pure success.

atlas is mediocre but not because of the launch. It is because it is a niche game that will be a mediocre game. Nobody’s fault, it just is what it is. If it had any chance at all it would have already shined.

i mean imagine if the launch was a success like ark right? Not only would they have maintained people for “the first month” they would still be maintaining that amount. That is drastically not the case. Even with the people desperately trying to either keep new people for being in new people by saying the game is “EA” it is like nah man, this is way before EA even 8 months after lol.

but yeah, we can’t conpare a behemoth lol lemme final fantasy wil atlas. That is almost pure disrespect At that point.

FF14 was first released in 2010, you did play the now successful version.

The point i was about is that mmos can work different than other games and can increase their player numbers with time if they receive a lot of content and fix their flaws. Never said the player numbers would be identical and Atlas would reach 1 million subscribers it doesnt even have a subscription system 😉

Atlas didnt lack a vision it just didnt work out to provide fun and keep players with the initial system. There is no reason why they shouldnt be able to find another vision for the game that can attract as many as the first and this time keep them, but it takes time and is nothing you do with a hotfix.

Pirates arent really niche, but as you said its more comparable to Ark in sales numbers and if they get the same success some day with Atlas that they got with Ark i dont think that wouldnt be too bad for a small studio.

Oh, dear. Did you misread? Your point was dismissed:

"Yeah that is a cool and all but when I played ffxiv i was playing on Playstation and there were plenty of people. We are talking 3 years ago mind you. "

Now, shouldn't we continue to talk about how crap a game Atlas is? I am so interested in exploring the intricacies of why Atlas is a mediocre game due to it being a niche game.

P.S. maybe apologise for comparing lol lemme final fantasy with atlas, as that is disrespectful, in fact almost purely disrespectful of the mighty final fantasy at that point

7 hours ago, Linea said:

FF14 was first released in 2010, you did play the now successful version.

The point i was about is that mmos can work different than other games and can increase their player numbers with time if they receive a lot of content and fix their flaws. Never said the player numbers would be identical and Atlas would reach 1 million subscribers it doesnt even have a subscription system 😉

Atlas didnt lack a vision it just didnt work out to provide fun and keep players with the initial system. There is no reason why they shouldnt be able to find another vision for the game that can attract as many as the first and this time keep them, but it takes time and is nothing you do with a hotfix.

Pirates arent really niche, but as you said its more comparable to Ark in sales numbers and if they get the same success some day with Atlas that they got with Ark i dont think that wouldnt be too bad for a small studio.

Totally agree. If they can find a different vision and different road map for the game then yes they of course have a chance at becoming successful.

i was just saying with what they have now they will not he successful. There are still a few people that play atlas that like the way it is but when it comes down to it the amount of people that left or didn’t even buy it is huge compared to the few left.

perfect solution. Do everything you are doing but in the opposite direction. That might make the few leave but if it makes all of the rest come back it would definitely be worth it.

No mans sky overall was a pos cant compare it to this.  As  this is still in a dev stage known as Beta nms is in full release. 

Edited by Luxfere

FFonline is a great game but For me was, without any exceptions (even ark) the most unfriendly community i've ever experienced. No mans sky is a good game, but there is just not enough variation sometimes to keep me interested. I still play it though. Realistically the only game you can fairly compare atlas to is ark. And Atlas runs circles round ark, arks great if you just wanna collect animals but if tames aren't your thing it gets quite boring fast. And again the online community are about as unfriendly as you can get. Atlas is a great game, regardless of it's bugs and probs. Yeh the sub being boss kill only and some other solo unfriendly things I don't agree with but at least they now have a single player option.

On 8/19/2019 at 8:47 AM, boomervoncannon said:

It is currently on sale at half price 

The game I played over the weekend was engaging, it felt fully developed and fun.

Thank you for posting this, I'm supposed to be mowing the lawn but thinking of that game.   Maybe the Gek will teach me how to say thanks now.

The formula is solid, reminds me of Path Of Exile.  Go into town and there's lots of people, go out to explore there's nobody because it's instanced but you can invite people to your instance.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:39 AM, Whitehawk said:

FFonline is a great game but For me was, without any exceptions (even ark) the most unfriendly community i've ever experienced. No mans sky is a good game, but there is just not enough variation sometimes to keep me interested. I still play it though. Realistically the only game you can fairly compare atlas to is ark. And Atlas runs circles round ark, arks great if you just wanna collect animals but if tames aren't your thing it gets quite boring fast. And again the online community are about as unfriendly as you can get. Atlas is a great game, regardless of it's bugs and probs. Yeh the sub being boss kill only and some other solo unfriendly things I don't agree with but at least they now have a single player option.

The big thing with Ark is find a quality unofficial server community that is well run. It takes some digging and investigating but I ran a four server Ark cluster for about 18 months that averaged between 50 to 200 members at any given time and I didn’t openly advertise our presence once I built it to a certain point.

2 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

The big thing with Ark is find a quality unofficial server community that is well run. It takes some digging and investigating but I ran a four server Ark cluster for about 18 months that averaged between 50 to 200 members at any given time and I didn’t openly advertise our presence once I built it to a certain point.

On 8/22/2019 at 7:39 AM, Whitehawk said:

Thank you boomer. You actually get mad props for doing that. That isn’t actually an easy feat at least for console. Who knows maybe because console didn’t get the mods but there was actually a way higher player count on official Xbox and not unofficial(mods are key with these guys).

at white hawk. Had a totally different experience than you man with ffonline. Even being new if I was going to make a trade with a high level character he would ask if I knew where a certain place was. I said I didn’t. He said give me 5 minutes and I will meet you. I might have had the single most friendly experience of all mmos with ffonline. 

I will admit that when I actually played on pc(wow was the only one) that I would encounter some rude people. To be honest o think this is more of a platform issue. Pc people think that console people are more toxic yet I think that pc people are way more toxic. Look what I have experienced right here on the forums.

i mean people like boomer are cool but for all the people that think I am over the top I have people that are down right cursing and hurling insults at me with no other content. Not sure if it is a leftist thing but we can definitely see who the violent people are here.

sure people don’t like what I say but it is not like I try to get aggressive or anything.

to finish things off. @boomervoncannon even though I have mad props to you(which I still do) isn’t that the biggest problem that both ark and atlas face?

wveryone wants to complain about all this small stuff but in all reality if the answer to most of the problems is “go play unofficial” then man, that is a bad spot to be in. I won’t even argue with you about ark either. Sure I always played official but I am sure I would have enjoyed it more on unofficial. 

This speaks multiple volumes though. They are coming up on 5 years of development between games. They did make(Jeremy) a definite statement of learning from their mistakes.

if you, a level headed person is now giving the same advice that people were giving 4 years ago then damn man. This is a very messed up situation.

Nomanssky is more like a child console game. The Mechanics are at the moment way to unrealistic. Gathering everything with a laser beam, seriously?

Graphics is to much lookin like a disney cartoon. Weather and environment is not really changeable, where are the storms and the sounds? Building feels not real enough ,not independent enough.

Edited by Egon von Sturmberg

3 hours ago, Egon von Sturmberg said:

Nomanssky is more like a child console game. The Mechanics are at the moment way to unrealistic. Gathering everything with a laser beam, seriously?

Graphics is to much lookin like a disney cartoon. Weather and environment is not really changeable, where are the storms and the sounds? Building feels not real enough ,not independent enough.

Yeah I have heard the same thing about atlas really in all aspects. Maybe that is why he made this topic. 

On 8/20/2019 at 8:59 AM, Jack Shandy said:

Realist you are right in that skilled up harvesting is just as good or better than tames.

it isnt, i unlocked them to test it and by far i get more fibers with just 1 swipe of my bear attack

Yeh and NMS has just messed up the controller support for pc too.

Edited by Whitehawk

If you take a look at the steam charts and comments you will find that "No Mans sky" is actually a pretty bad example overall. Yes, they somewhat managed a comeback (if you are that deep into the crap zone it is however not hard to get better), they are currently dumping back into that zone tho. They did not fix the core problems at all. It is great that you enjoyed it, but it is hardly an example for a success story.

1 hour ago, Grongash said:

If you take a look at the steam charts and comments you will find that "No Mans sky" is actually a pretty bad example overall. Yes, they somewhat managed a comeback (if you are that deep into the crap zone it is however not hard to get better), they are currently dumping back into that zone tho. They did not fix the core problems at all. It is great that you enjoyed it, but it is hardly an example for a success story.

Given where it started from, I disagree. I don't think there's any way you can fairly consider where NMS is now based on where it started out as anything but a success story. Let's be very clear: I never asserted that they've turned it into a perfect game or even a monster hit, and that was never the point. The point is that NMS was about as spectacular a failure at launch as any game has ever been, yet 3 years later it is still here and activity largely trends upwards go and look at the steam charts yourself. https://steamcharts.com/app/275850 All games have activity ebb and flow, but you cannot argue that NMS's average activity hasn't risen steadily from under 1000 players to consistently maintaining multiples of that over the past year. 

Why do people feel the need to look at things only in polar extremes and regard a game only as either a total success or a total failure? NMS is neither, and the mere fact it is not the latter is indeed a success story and is the reason I use it as an example for Atlas to shoot for. Atlas is never going to be some huge mega hit, that is almost certainly off the table and if that is the only bar of success that counts for you, then this is a more nuanced discussion than you're going to want to be involved in. The point from my OP is that NMS has been made into a viable, fun and engaging game. You may not personally have enjoyed it long term, but the overall trendline of the game's activity upwards supports this notion, even the reviews you mentioned do. Note that steam reviews all time for the game are 53% positive while recent reviews are 61% positive. They are heading in the right direction.

I am asking future posters to refrain from using this thread to post critiques of No Man's Sky. Doing so is about your personal preferences regarding that game, and that is not the point I was making in using it as an example, but how a game can recover from a bad start. Posting your likes and dislikes of the game is getting into the weeds of a different discussion.

On 8/23/2019 at 10:13 PM, Egon von Sturmberg said:

This post makes it apparent you didn't actually read my OP, just posted in reaction to the thread's title. Your personal take on NMS and what you like or dislike about the game is not the point. Please actually read the OP and respond based on it, rather than discussing your personal preferences about NMS.

On 8/23/2019 at 8:17 PM, Realist said:

to finish things off. @boomervoncannon even though I have mad props to you(which I still do) isn’t that the biggest problem that both ark and atlas face?

wveryone wants to complain about all this small stuff but in all reality if the answer to most of the problems is “go play unofficial” then man, that is a bad spot to be in. I won’t even argue with you about ark either. Sure I always played official but I am sure I would have enjoyed it more on unofficial. 

This speaks multiple volumes though. They are coming up on 5 years of development between games. They did make(Jeremy) a definite statement of learning from their mistakes.

if you, a level headed person is now giving the same advice that people were giving 4 years ago then damn man. This is a very messed up situation.

This is an old argument you and I had months ago. Ark in it's fundamental design very much facilitates and is enhanced by many unofficial servers with their own unique experience. With their stated design goals for Atlas and having a large interconnected game world made up of many linked servers, having unofficials is qualitatively different for Atlas than Ark, and I would argue meaningfully less desirable of an outcome. At this point it may be the best they can hope for, or it may be that Atlas's design may shift enough from it's initial goals that unofficials are a more suitable and appropriate place for a large percentage of the playerbase, but in my view "go play unofficials" was for many reasons sound advice for Ark, but shouldn't be where Atlas is headed.

17 hours ago, Egon von Sturmberg said:

my posting feels legit , based on your topic:

Why everyone who cares about Atlas should have a close look at No Man's Sky.

Because you only read the title. To understand why your post wasn’t “legit” you would need to read the actual post, which you clearly didn’t do. The point is more nuanced than whether any one person likes or dislikes NMS or what their reaction to it’s features and content is. Note that the title of the thread was not:

POST YOUR OPINION OF NO MAN’S SKY HERE

Edited by boomervoncannon

On 8/21/2019 at 6:30 PM, znasser said:

Imo, once you have the double harvesting skill, all the handharvesting skills, the 250% encumbered speed skill and high damage legendary or mythic tools, during those ten minutes you'll beat any animal at their thing except bears. Now we rarely use an animal to gather mats if its not fiber.

well i tried the tree skill for hand harvesting and using a bear was 2000% more efficient, what do you mean with the 250% encumbered speed skill, in wich branch of the skill tree is that located?

On 8/22/2019 at 6:47 AM, Linea said:

FFXIV knew from the beggining what it wanted to be, atlas doesnt, thats the main problem, they tried to pull and ark with ships and failed simply because thats not what people expected when they boughta pirate MMO, they need to create a completely new game from atlas ashes for it to succed

Edited by The D Legacy

On 8/19/2019 at 6:28 AM, boomervoncannon said:

I want to also say a word about the continuing criticism of Atlas's concept as not just pirate themed, but pirate/fantasy. If you don't like the concept, by all means say so, that's useful and legitimate feedback.

Mostly I wanted to point out that recovery is possible, but comes with a high risk and cost of potential for developers. The number of people who will never touch NMS despite the turn around likely still far outweighs those who have. It’s certainly not a perfect game but it’s not a dumpster fire either.

I don't like the fantasy part of the game, but I love, like, and wait for the more pirate aspect of the game.

Since we are doing famous dead guy quotes, this is one of my favorites from Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), "A gold mine is a hole in the ground, with a liar standing on top of it".

That is just coincidence statement that I have liked. I agree with your opinions but NMS is not my cup of tea. 

• Like 1

I could do dead guy quotes all day long and Twain definitely had some of the best. Two of my favorites are when he said of a politician he despised “ I did not attend his funeral but I wrote a letter saying I approved of it.”

and also a great quote for fathers “When I was 16 my father was the most ignorant man who ever lived. By the time I turned 21 I was amazed at how much the old man had learned.”

And since you gave me an excuse I’m going to also throw in a random fave of mine i’ll never have a reason to use here.

”I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review in front of me. Soon it will be behind me.” - Max Reger

• Like 2

On 8/29/2019 at 12:17 AM, boomervoncannon said:

I could do dead guy quotes all day long and Twain definitely had some of the best. Two of my favorites are when he said of a politician he despised “ I did not attend his funeral but I wrote a letter saying I approved of it.”

and also a great quote for fathers “When I was 16 my father was the most ignorant man who ever lived. By the time I turned 21 I was amazed at how much the old man had learned.”

And since you gave me an excuse I’m going to also throw in a random fave of mine i’ll never have a reason to use here.

”I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review in front of me. Soon it will be behind me.” - Max Reger

i also have a quote, but this one is from a guy who is still alive, still is epic:

"Atlas is poop." - Me 😄

Edited by The D Legacy