Sign in to follow this  
boomervoncannon

Post your idea for how to make sailing less dull.

If you want players to spend more time on the water (which I couldn't agree more with), give us more reasons to spend time there:

1. Add more variety to flotsam, including:
    • Pre-crafted weapons (not blueprints, individual items)
    • Pre-crafted armor
    • Pre-crafted ship components
    • Crafted food
    • Treasure maps
    • Stacks of resources (like seaweed, lightwood, crude oil)
  2. Make another tier of flotsam (jetsam!) that needs to be damaged to open (yay marksmanship), and deals light damage to ships that ignore/strike them.
  3. Give us a ship structure or figurehead (like a dragnet) that will allow us to "capture" flotsam that we guide it through. Unlock it with a relatively high level piracy skill, and make the capture area narrow enough that piloting skill is required, and maneuverability is rewarded. Limited inventory.
  4. Let us equip NPCs with grapnels, unlocked with relatively high level captaineering, give them a fair chance of failure so they are never as dependable as a real human.
  5. Give us a flotsam harpoon option for ballistas.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

The harder you make ships to build the less you'll see at sea because people will not want to lose them.  They have already stated part of the roadmap they want people at sea and making ships more accessible is part of that strategy. 

If they can find a way to make boarding and capturing ships much much easier I am willing to listen.  At this time I don't see them doing this. 

well they said that they want to make ship living viable... does not mean that you can make them cheap, but that you not loose them so fast... so no loosing them all the time and re-farming them 'every day'... at that point, when you are not loosing ships so fast, that you can live your entire game on one ship that lasts, the ships can get more expensive again, making them even more dear to you again... and not this throw away thing...

by what they said how to do it, it sounded a lot along the line of my suggestions to have a pirating flag system... with surrendering and temporary protection...
For ships to not sink so fast, they would have to do something about how ships get incapacitated... maybe also along the line of my suggestion to make the crew the target not so much the ship...

Yes pve, is what I based this off of.

It's just an idea PVE is a little bit boring just trying to spice up the game a bit more, I find myself leaving my ship on the shore because getting resources to build a ship to lose in transport with all of my stuff is a little hectic.  there's a weight issue I don't really want to or have to time to unload all of my stuff onto a ship that can't hold the weight anyway to move to another Island, what's the point in traveling from one location to another if I can't even take everything with me.

it's a bit boring you're talking about bringing the sailing back to the games that I'm taking the sailing out of the game I think you're missing the point.

nobody's going to be taking nobody's going to be taking all of their resources in one travel, the weight differential on the ships the amount of time it takes to build a ship and resources it doesn't add up it's too much work for too little return.

you would be you would be more willing to find a place to travel if there was more in return when finding somewhere new an easier way to load what you find, treasure or maybe some kind of reward. My first encounter with treasure hunting we were destroyed the NPC's just kept responding I didn't find it very fun dying 10-15 times. And then once we finally destroyed the NPCs the treasure wasn't even there anymore. Treasure portion of the game is destroyed.

you want to make you want to make it more enjoyable to travel on the water, make it so there's NPCs we can board take their gold make a different resource something you can't get on the shore.

the only thing I was trying to remove was the hectic Transportation portion of the game resource transportation it's too much weight I spent hours getting it all there's no way I can transport it all to a second Island it would take me months and losing those resources it's my treasure I do not want to put it on a ship that can be so easily destroyed over the water and there is just too much to transport I think the game neglecting wait verse time

On 9/7/2019 at 4:37 AM, Sheepshooter said:

well they said that they want to make ship living viable... does not mean that you can make them cheap, but that you not loose them so fast... so no loosing them all the time and re-farming them 'every day'... at that point, when you are not loosing ships so fast, that you can live your entire game on one ship that lasts, the ships can get more expensive again, making them even more dear to you again... and not this throw away thing...

by what they said how to do it, it sounded a lot along the line of my suggestions to have a pirating flag system... with surrendering and temporary protection...
For ships to not sink so fast, they would have to do something about how ships get incapacitated... maybe also along the line of my suggestion to make the crew the target not so much the ship...

I think the overall problem of how badly offense outclasses defense in this game is a fundamental design problem in a number of respects for pvp.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 10:32 PM, boomervoncannon said:

I think the overall problem of how badly offense outclasses defense in this game is a fundamental design problem in a number of respects for pvp.

bump

It's possibly a problem in design for PVE players also. If PVP was balanced, anybody that played PVE could play PVP much easier. Anybody who reads numbers that show costs of destroying stone walls vs building stone walls can see the problem there. I think? I don't make games, maybe I'm the one with problems. Haha idk.

Anyway, if defence was viable,  it would make for more interesting naval battles. People would be able to have a ship, defend it, and then attack when they wanted to. There could be retaliation, but it wouldn't cause people to quit.

NPC crew should be able to fight better when being offlined for example. If i have 60 NPC PIRATES!!! on my galleon, is it fun/does it make sense that they just sit there? They should be either fighting, or just granting a bonus to allow me to maybe have the time to login again.

Edited by eeeceee

Not really way to make sailing less boring. But I’ve always been bugged that the helm rotates back to center instead of where you have turned it to.

How to make sailing less Dull and more fun!

Get rid of SOTD...

Get rid of the Stupid Storms

Get rid of the silly mermaid

Remove 90% of the Sharks....

DON'T MAKE SHIPS FASTER

SLOW DOWN GALLEYS AND BRIGS that are running heavy 

SPEED UP Sloops and Schooners that are empty

For the Love of God Make ships with Lanteen Sails peform correctly Close Hauled

Make Square Riggers stop in their tracks when they turn  into the wind penalize them as they should be when Running and make them perform best at a Broad Reach

Make Sails Gaff, Square or Lanteen and perform correctly Close Beam or Broad....

So to summarize get rid of the stupid stuff, and make sailing realistic then wait for players to return because the stupid stuff is gone and they can go back to a game that has good sailing mechanics!  

sailing with your mates if always fun, so give them a reason to be there.

1. with a captain at the wheel, if there is a player on the podium - +5% speed, plus an additional 5% divided by number of sails for each sail manned by a player.

2. with a captain at the wheel, manning a cannon will grant your loading and targeting bonuses to the nearest 1-2 NPC's mounted on cannons, a player on the podium will increase this by +1.

3. make cargo racks mountable. With a captain at the wheel, if an NPC is mounted reduce speed penalty by 25%, if a player is mounted reduce the speed penalty by 50%. Increase this value by 25% if there is a player mounted on the podium.

4. inspire the crew with music, ship speed, handling, etc...

(All values are for description purposes and can be changed for balance)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

sailing with your mates if always fun, so give them a reason to be there.

1. with a captain at the wheel, if there is a player on the podium - +5% speed, plus an additional 5% divided by number of sails for each sail manned by a player.

2. with a captain at the wheel, manning a cannon will grant your loading and targeting bonuses to the nearest 1-2 NPC's mounted on cannons, a player on the podium will increase this by +1.

3. make cargo racks mountable. With a captain at the wheel, if an NPC is mounted reduce speed penalty by 25%, if a player is mounted reduce the speed penalty by 50%. Increase this value by 25% if there is a player mounted on the podium.

4. inspire the crew with music, ship speed, handling, etc...

(All values are for description purposes and can be changed for balance)

1. While I'm generally against speed increases as the solution to solving sailing tedium, I like your approach because it's about incentivizing other players to come along for the ride, which does increase the chance to have fun together. I like this suggestion.

2. I'd be in favor of making this sort of buff about a player being at the podium since a human player is at the helm almost always, and whether they have the captain skill tree or not isn't really addressing making sailing interesting, but as a general concept yes.

3. Not in favor of adding a bonus for NPC's  mounting the racks as this doesn't really do anything to heighten the experience but just super easily mitigates a penalty the devs have already balanced how they want. The buff for having an actual player mounting the rack sure, because again that's about having friends along to make things fun.

Overall I like the core idea of having incentives in the form of buffs for multiple human players to be on the ship. Solid idea.

• Like 1

This reminds me of the diplo in ark.

IDK if the devs can make sailing a compelling experience. IDK how to sail, but I'm sure it's an activity that could be considered fun. To replicate that fun in a video game, would be something that is not shallow, as opposed to riding along on the diplo derpy derp bus.

The devs had that core idea of having incentives in the form of buffs for human players to be on a ship. There was a patch that made it so that humans could reload cannons quicker than NPCS. I think there was also a patch which made .... NVM, it's my bed time 🙂

42 minutes ago, eeeceee said:

This reminds me of the diplo in ark.

IDK if the devs can make sailing a compelling experience. IDK how to sail, but I'm sure it's an activity that could be considered fun.

You know, this is a compelling point and one that has been scratching away at the back of my mind from the beginning of this thread. Maybe the reality is that what makes sailing fun is so much an experience that cannot really be replicated in a computer game. Maybe it's the smell of the ocean, the wind on your face, the actual physical labor required to make the ship do as you want. Of all the five senses, a video game can replicate only sight and sound. Maybe the factors that make days or hours at sea enjoyable cannot readily be translated into a game on a screen.

On a personal level I've always found people enjoying watching their avatars dance onscreen for more than say a minute kind of weird. Dancing is an inherently physical activity. The notion that large numbers of people enjoy virtual dancing is something I have a hard time wrapping my head around, but it's the best case for why GrapeCard might be able to make sailing fun in a game despite the sensory gap.

• Like 1

Make gunports also be able to have oars to row the boat. 15 sec switch time to switch back to cannons.

the galley was an oar and sail based ship, but the fittings you need for oars would interfere in the gunports as the oars were long , and galleys needed a lot of crew. but it could be done with different parts.