Sign in to follow this  
Winter Thorne

Wipes are mostly unnecessary

Everybody's talking about wipes lately because of the impending console release, the changed islands on the ptr, and the strange idea that server wipes would bring a crowd of people back to the game.

Wipes without some amazing new features for the players do a lot of harm to the existing player base that's left.  Maybe it's exciting starting all over again....the first couple times.  After that it becomes an enormous chore of just replacing everything you've lost until you get back to where you were before the wipe and can do something new.  If there is another complete server wipe without some great benefit and new feature coming, there will be another huge drop in players.    We know this because we can look back to the last wipe and see the ghost towns that were left as soon as it was announced, and the continued drop in the numbers.  And no, we are not "testers" who should expect no consideration at all.  We are customers who have paid for the game, who understand that while bad things can happen in EA,  we expect the company in charge to care about whether we're enjoying it.  

And really, there are very few reasons to conduct a complete server wipe.  Players want to preserve their bases, their tames, their character levels and skills, and any rare inventory they might have.    You can wipe landscape without wiping characters, and vice versa.  You can wipe skills but leave the skillpoints intact.  You can even preserve and restore possessions or claims or anything else you want to do.

People assume that every landscape change demands a complete wipe.  It doesn't.  They could change every island in the game and still preserve the character data.  They could set aside one unchanging zone for "refugees" and allow everyone to load up a galleon with whatever they want to save and park there while the change happens. Something similar was done before when new islands were added.  The message went out to clear out of those areas ahead of time and people did.  If they are only changing 10 islands in the game, they could give those island owners plenty of notice, allow them to get all their important stuff out of the way, and reset the claim for them after the change.  They still have to rebuild, but it's much less painful to do that if the char data, the claim, and some possessions are retained.   It's even less painful if there are good neighbors pitching in with mats to help.    (And that's the sort of thing that builds community in games)  NPC islands are a landscape change and don't demand a full server wipe in their own right.  Any of the above can be done to bring in NPC islands.

People also assume that crossplay would demand a wipe.  That's pretty silly.  The advent of crossplay is nothing more than an influx of new players.  An influx of new players doesn't demand a wipe.  Presumably that's going to happen over the entire lifespan of the game.  Is it going to get wiped every time there's a Steam sale?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any single change significant enough to require an entire server wipe of the landscape, the character data, and all the possessions, except server mergers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wipe the server-wipe the population, if they don't realize it now they will shortly if they wipe anything.

2 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

Everybody's talking about wipes lately because of the impending console release, the changed islands on the ptr, and the strange idea that server wipes would bring a crowd of people back to the game.

Wipes without some amazing new features for the players do a lot of harm to the existing player base that's left.  Maybe it's exciting starting all over again....the first couple times.  After that it becomes an enormous chore of just replacing everything you've lost until you get back to where you were before the wipe and can do something new.  If there is another complete server wipe without some great benefit and new feature coming, there will be another huge drop in players.    We know this because we can look back to the last wipe and see the ghost towns that were left as soon as it was announced, and the continued drop in the numbers.  And no, we are not "testers" who should expect no consideration at all.  We are customers who have paid for the game, who understand that while bad things can happen in EA,  we expect the company in charge to care about whether we're enjoying it.  

And really, there are very few reasons to conduct a complete server wipe.  Players want to preserve their bases, their tames, their character levels and skills, and any rare inventory they might have.    You can wipe landscape without wiping characters, and vice versa.  You can wipe skills but leave the skillpoints intact.  You can even preserve and restore possessions or claims or anything else you want to do.

People assume that every landscape change demands a complete wipe.  It doesn't.  They could change every island in the game and still preserve the character data.  They could set aside one unchanging zone for "refugees" and allow everyone to load up a galleon with whatever they want to save and park there while the change happens. Something similar was done before when new islands were added.  The message went out to clear out of those areas ahead of time and people did.  If they are only changing 10 islands in the game, they could give those island owners plenty of notice, allow them to get all their important stuff out of the way, and reset the claim for them after the change.  They still have to rebuild, but it's much less painful to do that if the char data, the claim, and some possessions are retained.   It's even less painful if there are good neighbors pitching in with mats to help.    (And that's the sort of thing that builds community in games)  NPC islands are a landscape change and don't demand a full server wipe in their own right.  Any of the above can be done to bring in NPC islands.

People also assume that crossplay would demand a wipe.  That's pretty silly.  The advent of crossplay is nothing more than an influx of new players.  An influx of new players doesn't demand a wipe.  Presumably that's going to happen over the entire lifespan of the game.  Is it going to get wiped every time there's a Steam sale?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any single change significant enough to require an entire server wipe of the landscape, the character data, and all the possessions, except server mergers.

Whether it is unethical or ethical, moral or immoral, it doesn’t matter. Those new pc people had the chance to buy it Day one so that is a different scenario.

regardless if it is right or wrong., console people simply won’t play it if it isn’t fresh. The launch will fail plain and simple. I hope you realize that. If you don’t then ok go guess. 

This doesn’t come down to right or wrong, it comes down to success or failure. You might not want pve to be wiped which I will not get I to that argument again but just know that especially with pvp, if that is not wiped it will definitely fail very hard.

consoles have their own Megas and they will be expecting a fresh start because they don’t join companies they absorb them.

it is cool if you think crossplay isn’t wipe worthy, I am just letting you know it is.

7 minutes ago, Realist said:

Whether it is unethical or ethical, moral or immoral, it doesn’t matter. Those new pc people had the chance to buy it Day one so that is a different scenario.

regardless if it is right or wrong., console people simply won’t play it if it isn’t fresh. The launch will fail plain and simple. I hope you realize that. If you don’t then ok go guess. 

This doesn’t come down to right or wrong, it comes down to success or failure. You might not want pve to be wiped which I will not get I to that argument again but just know that especially with pvp, if that is not wiped it will definitely fail very hard.

consoles have their own Megas and they will be expecting a fresh start because they don’t join companies they absorb them.

it is cool if you think crossplay isn’t wipe worthy, I am just letting you know it is.

If console players are so selfish that they absolutely demand a freshly wiped game in an Early Access phase (which btw Thorne is dead on about the way you are talking out of both sides of your mouth about this), then frankly I don’t give a flying @#&$ whether even one of them ever buys Atlas or not and that includes you AND it includes whether the game fails or not. There are other games out there that are not screwing up their Early Access so badly they need to hope for a console influx in order to create some semblance of a active playerbase. If Grapeshot decides to cater to them to that extreme I will happily go play one of the many other options.

Personally I don’t think that’s what’s happening. I think what’s happening is that you, just like many many times in the past, are overstepping by asserting things that you believe but have little to no supporting foundation otherwise to be true as fact. I scoff at the notion that all console players demand a pristine world or they won’t play. This notion presents console players as some absurd hive mind collective that all think alike. I think some will take this extreme position, plenty more will shrug and get on with playing if there is no wipe. You are just campaigning for what you personally want and threatening the devs with some imaginary boycott of the game by all console players if they don’t do as you say.

What rubbish.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

If console players are so selfish that they absolutely demand a freshly wiped game in an Early Access phase (which btw Thorne is dead on about the way you are talking out of both sides of your mouth about this), then frankly I don’t give a flying @#&$ whether even one of them ever buys Atlas or not and that includes you AND it includes whether the game fails or not. There are other games out there that are not screwing up their Early Access so badly they need to hope for a console influx in order to create some semblance of a active playerbase. If Grapeshot decides to cater to them to that extreme I will happily go play one of the many other options.

Personally I don’t think that’s what’s happening. I think what’s happening is that you, just like many many times in the past, are overstepping by asserting things that you believe but have little to no supporting foundation otherwise to be true as fact. I scoff at the notion that all console players demand a pristine world or they won’t play. This notion presents console players as some absurd hive mind collective that all think alike. I think some will take this extreme position, plenty more will shrug and get on with playing if there is no wipe. You are just campaigning for what you personally want and threatening the devs with some imaginary boycott of the game by all console players if they don’t do as you say.

What rubbish.

You can scoff all you want. All the people on Twitter are pretty mad about crossplay even with a wipe. But without a wipe? Yeah their reply was never mind on atlas then.

it really seems like the pc people are selfish at this point. I don’t see how neither console players nor I are selfish. We are going to pay a higher price than the day one pc people did for a game that is already full of companies and level 100 plus players.

like I told her. I will not get into the pve or pvp argument but if on a pvp side you think it’s ok to pay for a game and be behind by 100 levels then that is the actual selfish part.

selfish is wanting to keep all of your stuff even though like you said “it’s an ea game”. 

So no, it isn’t just me. I am going off of all the reactions from people. I haven’t seen one person be excited for crossplay. They are excited for Xbox release, but not crossplay. The only ones excited for crossplay are the pc people because they want the advantage which is yet another reason it is the pc side who is selfish 

4 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

What rubbish.

well to be fair even "naval action" (sailing/naval fighting game) wiped when they went out of EA wich pissed the hell out of their already small playerbase, and to be honest i dont remember even 1 game in console that was released without a clean server

11 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Personally I don’t think that’s what’s happening. I think what’s happening is that you, just like many many times in the past, are overstepping by asserting things that you believe want, and ascribing them to some large mythical invisible group of people who have nominated you as their captain.  

Fixed that for ya 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The D Legacy said:

well to be fair even "naval action" (sailing/naval fighting game) wiped when they went out of EA wich pissed the hell out of their already small playerbase, and to be honest i dont remember even 1 game in console that was released without a clean server

I have never played a game on Xbox that wasn’t fresh. Completely unheard of

Edited by Realist

3 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

So I suppose the OP works for one of the major AAA game developers? Seems he is well educated in all there is to developing a game!!

They are headed for another wipe and that is a good thing. When the officials wipe most private follow. Ark was just the opposite and took greif for being buggy when infact it ran and runs real smooth. This is VIRTUAL reality guys stop being so attached to what you have when playing a game in development. You were told if you bothered to read that loosing things would be part of development. Can only hope that GS unlike WC does what is best for the game and forgets what those that are unqualified to make the decisions want. You buy into the game not the company and therefore you are afforded no control at all how things are done.

Ah so now I am getting what is really going on.....yeah there is a wipe incoming. Just except it and know you have NOTHING to do with the decision. Again you bought the game not control in development or the company. So those that are toxic at heart need just move on. Most of you hate the game yet have so many hours......curious how that is.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dawg711 said:

They are headed for another wipe and that is a good thing. When the officials wipe most private follow. Ark was just the opposite and took greif for being buggy when infact it ran and runs real smooth. This is VIRTUAL reality guys stop being so attached to what you have when playing a game in development. You were told if you bothered to read that loosing things would be part of development. Can only hope that GS unlike WC does what is best for the game and forgets what those that are unqualified to make the decisions want. You buy into the game not the company and therefore you are afforded no control at all how things are done.

A wipe is a good thing because....the private servers must also be wiped?  Goofy reasoning.  Because wipes get rid of bugs?    No, they don't.  Surely you can make up something better than that.  Even Realist has made up a reason that millions of console players are ready to plunk down some cash if only they'd scrape us dirty PC players off the servers first.   It's not a great reason, and it's not true, but he at least made an attempt.

Yes, we all know it's EA.  It's in the company's best interests to make sure they don't have to wipe everyone out without a good reason.  Why?  Because when the game stops being fun everyone leaves.   It's no fun placing 5000 ceiling tiles over and over and over and over, although it does make a nice break from staying up for 3 days to attempt breeding tames and doing that over and over and over, or hitting a tree 5000 times to replace a ship which you have already replaced during the last wipe.  So much fun.  So much winning.

People are here for fun.  No fun=no people.

35 minutes ago, Dawg711 said:

So I suppose the OP works for one of the major AAA game developers? Seems he is well educated in all there is to developing a game!!

You shouldn't make snarky assumptions about people you don't know.  

Edited by Winter Thorne

4 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

A wipe is a good thing because....the private servers must also be wiped?  Goofy reasoning.  Because wipes get rid of bugs?    No, they don't.  Surely you can make up something better than that.  Even Realist has made up a reason that millions of console players are ready to plunk down some cash if only they'd scrape us dirty PC players off the servers first.   It's not a great reason, and it's not true, but he at least made an attempt.

Yes, we all know it's EA.  It's in the company's best interests to make sure they don't have to wipe everyone out without a good reason.  Why?  Because when the game stops being fun everyone leaves.   It's no fun placing 5000 ceiling tiles over and over and over and over, lthough it does make a nice break from staying up for 3 days to attempt breeding tames and doing that over and over and over, or hitting a tree 5000 times to replace a ship which you have already replaced during the last wipe.  So much fun.  So much winning.

People are here for fun.  No fun=no people.

You shouldn't make snarky assumptions about people you don't know.  

I am a grinder and a builder so all of the things you mention a actually fun for me. I would mind placing down 5000 ceiling tiles over and over or hitting 5000 trees. 

To be honest, that actually is the point of the game. That is the main part of the game. If that is the part you don’t like then there are many other games that don’t require you to do that kind of stuff.

and as far as the snarky assumptions statement you made Towards dawg, you are definitely a hypocrite with that which is shameful.

1 hour ago, The D Legacy said:

Wiping when you come out of EA absolutely should be done and I support it completely. Wiping during EA when the devs determine it as necessary for testing, say for WPE, I also have zero problem with. Wiping solely because some group of players who never played demand a clean slate during EA, when I have already put time and energy into what I have...yeah @#$& that noise and I don’t give a rats arse what Twitter says. If Realist thinks every console player is on Twitter he’s delusional.  Yes I’m being dismissive of their collective opinion, it’s because so far I have skin in the game and they don’t.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Realist said:

I am a grinder and a builder so all of the things you mention a actually fun for me. I would mind placing down 5000 ceiling tiles over and over or hitting 5000 trees. 

To be honest, that actually is the point of the game. That is the main part of the game. If that is the part you don’t like then there are many other games that don’t require you to do that kind of stuff.

If that's the point of the game,  then you don't need a server wipe to be happy.  There's plenty of trees.  They even respawn.  Or you could go play Farmville or something.

1 hour ago, Realist said:

and as far as the snarky assumptions statement you made Towards dawg, you are definitely a hypocrite with that which is shameful.

You need to make better, more logical arguments..  You make so many contradictory ones that people can't possibly respond to them all to correct them, and I'm starting to think that  it's done on purpose. 

Dawg made a comment assuming things about my personal life and history.  I don't do that, because it's stupid.  I make comments about what people say here in the forums.    No hypocrisy there at all.  Hypocrisy would be declaring that all existing players should get wiped because you are coming into the game, and then calling them selfish for not agreeing to it.

Edited by Winter Thorne
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Wiping when you come out of EA absolutely should be done and I support it completely. Wiping during EA when the devs determine it as necessary for testing, say for WPE, I also have zero problem with. Wiping solely because some group of players who never played demand a clean slate during EA, when I have already put time and energy into what I have...yeah @#$& that noise and I don’t give a rats arse what Twitter says. If Realist thinks every console player is on Twitter he’s delusional.  Yes I’m being dismissive of their collective opinion, it’s because so far I have skin in the game and they don’t.

I don’t want you guys to be wiped either. But the reason for that is because they shouldn’t be doing crossplay in the first place. That would probably be the biggest mistake they could ever make. Because yes, they will want a wipe.

want to make everyone happy? Don’t do crossplay. Very simple

21 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Hypocrisy would be declaring that all existing players should get wiped because you are coming into the game, and then calling them selfish for not agreeing to it.

Not even close to hypocrisy. Now of later down the road ps4 also got crossplay and then I was mad that I was getting wiped then THAT would be hypocritical.

which I would be totally fine with that happening and I think it should happen as well.

so in reality hopefully they can pull off a ps4 crossplay so we can have another wipe later on

2 hours ago, Dawg711 said:

Ah so now I am getting what is really going on.....yeah there is a wipe incoming. Just except it and know you have NOTHING to do with the decision. Again you bought the game not control in development or the company. So those that are toxic at heart need just move on. Most of you hate the game yet have so many hours......curious how that is.

So I  had an interesting exchange with your mother the other day (not even making it up, check your own post history), the upshot of which is that you’re not allowed to post here anymore. I didn’t agree with everything she said, but I do support a parent’s good faith effort to supervise their child, so I will be putting you on ignore from here on out in order to not participate in encouraging you to post against her wishes. I suggest that anyone interested in supporting a parent’s good faith effort to supervise their child do likewise.

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

well yeah, i couldnt careless what a group of individuals wants if i have to pay for it with my time and effort, i do agree on that.

I vote 100% wipe when its time for a wipe, get rid of the old litter, not just inactives but, clean up any left over imprints from old system/changes to the game/additions/.

Your and mine EFFORTS and time are being spent on an unfinished game. Once it is a finished game 100% wipe to boot it off as one.

About the console.. donno don't care to know... People are going to whine and bitch bout things, no matter what the decision is. lol.  Can't please them all 🙂

If they have to wipe at ANY time during the games Development they will, if they have to do so.

Edited by Liatni

1 minute ago, Liatni said:

I vote 100% wipe when its time for a wipe, get rid of the old litter, not just inactives but, clean up any left over imprints from old system/changes to the game/additions/.

Your EFFORTS and time are being spent on an unfinished game. Once it is a finished game 100% wipe to boot it off as one.

About the console.. donno don't care to know... People are going to whine and bitch bout things, no matter what the decision is. lol.  Can't please them all 🙂

Right, which is exactly why my position is that wipes for meaningful reasons related to development or providing a clean slate for all at game launch are fine, wipes merely to placate the selfish desires of those who have yet to contribute anything to Atlas are nonsense. My efforts may not mean anything in the face of development needs, but they certainly trump the whims of some sideline sitter on Twitter.

I'm kinda starting to feel left out. I haven't made a thread yet about why wipes are a bad idea. Maybe I should.....🤣

Well all know if it is just for cross play alone it is a bad idea. We can't help consoles didn't get it day one. Not our fault console players don't have a PC to get access to it day one. If the only argument is that "we deserve a fresh game" is the only one then don't buy a EA game. 

Well, I am suspecting they will go with what the targeted player base wants, for fresh bodies and cash flow..  What company WOULDNT do that, that's not a "grapeshot" thing.

I guess they could stop all progress on the game as to not hurt any feelings for those currently playing the game while it is in development but, that kinda  is not going to get the game to a finished state. 😛

They may NEED to wipe for it though..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liatni said:

Well, I am suspecting they will go with what the targeted player base wants, for fresh bodies and cash flow..  What company WOULDNT do that, that's not a "grapeshot" thing.

I guess they could stop all progress on the game as to not hurt any feelings for those currently playing the game while it is in development but, that kinda  is not going to get the game to a finished state. 😛

They may NEED to wipe for it though..

Yeah they will wipe. Money is king

Yup, from a business standpoint, money is indeed king.

Being a pc player, I wont touch ark, for instance on console even cross.. Have friends who have invited me to join them and was … Sorry, I need to pass, am busy doing other things. Have fun tough 🙂  .  

Do we know how they intend on introducing Atlas to console yet? Will it be a 1 pvp server thing, or are they going to include the coop stuff they are working hard on, it seems?

1 minute ago, Liatni said:

Yup, from a business standpoint, money is indeed king.

Being a pc player, I wont touch ark, for instance on console even cross.. Have friends who have invited me to join them and was … Sorry, I need to pass, am busy doing other things. Have fun tough 🙂  .  

Do we know how they intend on introducing Atlas to console yet? Will it be a 1 pvp server thing, or are they going to include the coop stuff they are working hard on, it seems?

These guys are a straight across the board kind of company. Console will get single play and unofficial but the one thing they don’t do is mods. Console won’t see mods.

ark was actually pretty good. It sure do a hell of a lot better than atlas is doing. Then again ark was ark and they are trying to say atlas was an mmo even though it is not so they are feeling that right now.

and yeah that is the whole thing. They are running a business so if they want that extra money, a wipe will need to be in order.

i have never really understood the whole “we are loyal” thing that players say. I mean who cares. A business wants your money and that is that. Loyalty has never played a part in business. Yeah some will try to argue but it all comes down to that dollar, no matter what anyone says in between.

Well, I can see them doing something simple like, awarding badges for console view and steam as well,  to players who have spent an X amount of hours in the game while it was still in Development, pre console even as a way to give back to those "loyal" time consumers. But, those loyal players should always keep in mind the same thing many of us tell others "The game is EA, meaning it is not a finished game." Ant let the wipes happen as the need to. lol.

All that said, If you want to play Ark on xbox you have to purchase an xbox copy of the game and each expansion, don't you?  If that's true, I don't see Atlas PC servers for PC to have anything to do with the console ones... ?

17 minutes ago, Liatni said:

Well, I can see them doing something simple like, awarding badges for console view and steam as well,  to players who have spent an X amount of hours in the game while it was still in Development, pre console even as a way to give back to those "loyal" time consumers. But, those loyal players should always keep in mind the same thing many of us tell others "The game is EA, meaning it is not a finished game." Ant let the wipes happen as the need to. lol.

All that said, If you want to play Ark on xbox you have to purchase an xbox copy of the game and each expansion, don't you?  If that's true, I don't see Atlas PC servers for PC to have anything to do with the console ones... ?

That is the whole thing. Crossplay would mean that console players have to play on the pc servers. That is a bad idea. I don’t believe they should do crossplay and I believe that is a stupid idea.

if it was as simple as windows 10 and Xbox(like ark) no problem. Steam and Xbox however would require a wipe.

Edited by Realist
  • Confused 1