Jump to content

WildWyvern20

How to fix the game, IMO

Recommended Posts

I love this game... BUT...

It's not doing so well because:
1.) Sailing is entirely too long. My buddies quit the game, MAINLY because the long sails we'd have to take for certain resources would be so long, my guys were like "Dude, what is there to do..?" I think you should really just cut down the map size by maybe 65%

2.) Bad press, at the start. WC/GS, You REALLY messed up with the delays that it had for it's launch, and the launch experience was absolute GARBAGE... and I've played a lot of MMO launches. People couldn't even get into the game.

3.) You branded it as a pirate-game.. and it's really honestly just a fantasy game with ships. This is a fantasy experience... more so than a pirate experience, IMO. Change the tags..

4.) You should NOT be able to build shields and all these insane builds on a pirate ship, or have 50 cannons on one side.. it's impractical and just absolute BS, it messes with the ship combat. Let ship/pirate PvP be skill based, not "The one with the most shield buildings, to prevent dmg to the hull, etc on their ship win" That's not fun... at all.

5.) I personally don't think MMOs should have singleplayer or unofficial... it just fragments the community, tbh.. but, that's just me..

That's all I can think of, for now... It is GORGEOUS, it is FUN, but the playerbase just isn't there. I just wish there would be SOME bigger islands.. and I honestly think you should have left taming out of the game... with it being a pirate game... IT'S NOT ARK, GUYS!!!! There's no reason Razortooths and Shieldhorns, ESPECIALLY, should be tameable in a pirate game. (Yes, I am aware it is Golden Age, and so on.. not truly a pirate game, but that is how you pushed it out.)

I REALLY want this game to succeed.... but, it needs a lot of dedication... a lot of bug fixes... a fair bit of content, and honestly... a couple complete overhauls (Taming, etc.) just a LOT of TLC...

But, if anyone can do it.. It's WC/Grapeshot.

If you are seeing this Grapeshot... this is not Ark (A game I absolutely love) Don't make it an Ark clone... because.. right now, a LOT of people see it that way... it has SO much potential... I believe in you guys!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is nothing wrong with sailing, if you dont know how to use beds properly thats your fault. Not everyone is from the I need it now generation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nutcutt3r said:

There is nothing wrong with sailing, if you dont know how to use beds properly thats your fault. Not everyone is from the I need it now generation.

There is nothing wrong with sailing, if you dont know how to use beds properly thats your fault.

What does beds have to do with the unnecesarily long and boring sailing??

Not everyone is from the I need it now generation.

Not everyone is a jobless leech with all day long free time to sail to another island, and even if they were why would anyone invest their time into something boring?

Edited by The D Legacy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Sailing isn’t too long, if the game is pirate fantasy themed then presumably sailing should be a major time component. What sailing is, or rather isnt, is engaging enough. I don’t think merely speeding ships up is the answer since that becomes unrealistic at some point and creates issues with rendering being too slow before you run into things as well. Ships do not turn on a dime. This doesn’t mean your friends being bored isn’t a legit issue.

 Grapecard needs to focus on making time spent sailing more engaging. Shipwrecks and flotsam are a start but the rewards from flotsam make most players ignore them and shipwrecks mean you have to stop, actually lengthening the journey. Things like card games and other games of chance that can be played while at action stations might help, adding depth and strength to music and dance to have more buffs with meaningful benefits while sailing. Perhaps add harpoons with ropes so that hunting sharks or other marine life while on the move could become a meaningful activity for crew. There are any number of possibilities and we are early enough in the development process that we need to give the devs time to flesh out this aspect of the game, but I do think it’s important they understand this is an oft mentioned reason for players quitting.

2.  It can’t be stated strongly enough how right you are about this point and that Atlas’s launch is the cautionary tale the industry should take note of and heed as it rushes headlong in the belief that EA is the greatest thing since sliced bread. As the saying goes, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

3. Atlas was never marketed as just a pirate game. It is and has been from the beginning marketed as pirate fantasy themed. The very first trailer showed mythical creatures like hydra and cyclops and the very masthead of these forums show a flying airship. Those making claims to the contrary are willfully denying reality. No one is required to like this theme, but asserting you have been misled or that the game has gone off its intended track is at odds with the facts.

4. 100% agree. Much of this stuff is silly nonsense and needs to go away. Restricting cannon placement to gun ports or predetermined spots on deck helps, armor can get trickier because they still want to let people customize their ship builds with cabins on deck etc.

5. I agreed in the beginning about not having private servers and sp mode, and while these things have generally contributed to the problem of empty official servers (Note to everyone: if you were someone loudly calling for sp mode and impatient for blackwood’s release so you could try it on private servers, you have lost all ability to complain about empty officials without being a hypocrite. YOU wanted the very things that contributed to the situation.), the truth is we are mostly past that mattering much imo. The two main reasons you want everyone to be part of the same game world are team formation pools being larger and health of the economy. Both of these things Atlas devs have so far largely ignored. If they continue to do so, I don’t see having sp and privates mattering much in the end.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WildWyvern20 said:

I love this game... BUT...

It's not doing so well because:
1.) Sailing is entirely too long. My buddies quit the game, MAINLY because the long sails we'd have to take for certain resources would be so long, my guys were like "Dude, what is there to do..?" I think you should really just cut down the map size by maybe 65%

2.) Bad press, at the start. WC/GS, You REALLY messed up with the delays that it had for it's launch, and the launch experience was absolute GARBAGE... and I've played a lot of MMO launches. People couldn't even get into the game.

3.) You branded it as a pirate-game.. and it's really honestly just a fantasy game with ships. This is a fantasy experience... more so than a pirate experience, IMO. Change the tags..

4.) You should NOT be able to build shields and all these insane builds on a pirate ship, or have 50 cannons on one side.. it's impractical and just absolute BS, it messes with the ship combat. Let ship/pirate PvP be skill based, not "The one with the most shield buildings, to prevent dmg to the hull, etc on their ship win" That's not fun... at all.

5.) I personally don't think MMOs should have singleplayer or unofficial... it just fragments the community, tbh.. but, that's just me..

That's all I can think of, for now... It is GORGEOUS, it is FUN, but the playerbase just isn't there. I just wish there would be SOME bigger islands.. and I honestly think you should have left taming out of the game... with it being a pirate game... IT'S NOT ARK, GUYS!!!! There's no reason Razortooths and Shieldhorns, ESPECIALLY, should be tameable in a pirate game. (Yes, I am aware it is Golden Age, and so on.. not truly a pirate game, but that is how you pushed it out.)

I REALLY want this game to succeed.... but, it needs a lot of dedication... a lot of bug fixes... a fair bit of content, and honestly... a couple complete overhauls (Taming, etc.) just a LOT of TLC...

But, if anyone can do it.. It's WC/Grapeshot.

If you are seeing this Grapeshot... this is not Ark (A game I absolutely love) Don't make it an Ark clone... because.. right now, a LOT of people see it that way... it has SO much potential... I believe in you guys!

Yeah, they definitely need to either speed up sailing speed by a lot, make a fast travel option, or make the map smaller. There is definitely a problem with sail times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Realist said:

Yeah, they definitely need to either speed up sailing speed by a lot, make a fast travel option, or make the map smaller. There is definitely a problem with sail times

says the guy that never sailed the Atlas...🤣

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nutcutt3r said:

There is nothing wrong with sailing, if you dont know how to use beds properly thats your fault. Not everyone is from the I need it now generation.

Need it now generation? Excuse me? Ummmm, I played Ark: Survival Evolved Official PvP the first 1k hours in that game. BUT, I actually have a job, now and can't afford to spend 4 hours sailing. I love the grind, the progression and the dedication it takes. I LIKE the sailing.... BUT, it takes up too much of the time without enough to do on the sails, and if fun stuff for sailing is added, I will probably change my opinion. I understand this is early access, and things are and may be subject to change. But, I am just throwing put my opinion. And tbh, the way atlas is going, it's in a non mmo way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, WildWyvern20 said:

Need it now generation? Excuse me? Ummmm, I played Ark: Survival Evolved Official PvP the first 1k hours in that game. BUT, I actually have a job, now and can't afford to spend 4 hours sailing. I love the grind, the progression and the dedication it takes. I LIKE the sailing.... BUT, it takes up too much of the time without enough to do on the sails, and if fun stuff for sailing is added, I will probably change my opinion. I understand this is early access, and things are and may be subject to change. But, I am just throwing put my opinion. And tbh, the way atlas is going, it's in a non mmo way.

Yes definitely not an mmo. It is a survival game, most definitely, which is awesome, but is is also most definitely not an mmo by any definition. If if the definition was as simple as “massive multiplayer online” Because it doesn’t even make the cut in the very simplest form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Quote

It's not doing so well because:
1.) Sailing is entirely too long. My buddies quit the game, MAINLY because the long sails we'd have to take for certain resources would be so long, my guys were like "Dude, what is there to do..?" I think you should really just cut down the map size by maybe 65%

Bull crap!!!  This ^^^^  is just the typical battle cry of entitled kids who want instant gratification!  These same people demand X 3 weekends and blah blah blah....  They build a ship in 2 days there house in 4 days and then quit not because the game was too hard but because it was too EASY....  These people don't know what they want, they think they want Easy mode but easy mode just makes a game boring!!!

 

Quote

2.) Bad press, at the start. WC/GS, You REALLY messed up with the delays that it had for it's launch, and the launch experience was absolute GARBAGE... and I've played a lot of MMO launches. People couldn't even get into the game.

Can't argue with the state of the launch it was indeed bad, but so was nearly every MMORPG that has released in the past 15 years yet many of them went on to become smash hits....

Quote

3.) You branded it as a pirate-game.. and it's really honestly just a fantasy game with ships. This is a fantasy experience... more so than a pirate experience, IMO. Change the tags..

The Problem is not that they branded it a Pirate Game it's that they called it an MMORPG, which is pretty much a bald face lie!  This is nothing more then another griefer based Rust styled Survival game and they already have one of these games its called "Ark"  

Most sensible business minded fold "Diversify" But these guys seem to think making the same game again is somehow going to get them a huge host of new customers?!?!?  

Quote

4.) You should NOT be able to build shields and all these insane builds on a pirate ship, or have 50 cannons on one side.. it's impractical and just absolute BS, it messes with the ship combat. Let ship/pirate PvP be skill based, not "The one with the most shield buildings, to prevent dmg to the hull, etc on their ship win" That's not fun... at all.

Again this is not an issue either, in fact the issue is the limitations in place on building on ships, it limits creativity!!!

The real problem is not the PIRATE content its the LACK OF ANTI PIRATE content.... You can't have Yin without Yan or Good without Evil.

Quote

5.) I personally don't think MMOs should have singleplayer or unofficial... it just fragments the community, tbh.. but, that's just me..

I agree I don't think MMORPG should separate there player base!  But this is an MMO and I have no issue with "MMO's" doing so because let's face it the only thing that makes most of these Rust style grief fest survival MMOs worth playing is the Private Modded servers!

 

Edited by Sulfurblade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Sulfurblade said:

Bull crap!!!  This ^^^^  is just the typical battle cry of entitled kids who want instant gratification!  These same people demand X 3 weekends and blah blah blah....  They build a ship in 2 days there house in 4 days and then quit not because the game was too hard but because it was too EASY....  These people don't know what they want, they think they want Easy mode but easy mode just makes a game boring!!!

 

Can't argue with the state of the launch it was indeed bad, but so was nearly every MMORPG that has released in the past 15 years yet many of them went on to become smash hits....

The Problem is not that they branded it a Pirate Game it's that they called it an MMORPG, which is pretty much a bald face lie!  This is nothing more then another griefer based Rust styled Survival game and they already have one of these games its called "Ark"  

Most sensible business minded fold "Diversify" But these guys seem to think making the same game again is somehow going to get them a huge host of new customers?!?!?  

Again this is not an issue either, in fact the issue is the limitations in place on building on ships, it limits creativity!!!

The real problem is not the PIRATE content its the LACK OF ANTI PIRATE content.... You can't have Yin without Yan or Good without Evil.

I agree I don't think MMORPG should separate there player base!  But this is an MMO and I have no issue with "MMO's" doing so because let's face it the only thing that makes most of these Rust style grief fest survival MMOs worth playing is the Private Modded servers!

 

First off, me and my buddies are men. The buddies I am referring to are 50+ years of age, and we play Ark, Rust, so on. and Again, if you had read an earlier comment before.... I have played Ark Official PvP, with these same guys, for the first 1k hours into the game, I've played it since it was released, and the unofficials we go on are not that jacked up. I understand the game is in EA, too. BUT, Sailing, right now, is WAY TOO LONG. It is not about instant gratification.. I absolutely LOVE to work for what I get, instant gratification is boring. BUT, right now, there is not enough to do to make sailing fun enough to warrant sailing for more than 2 hours, at a time. And, as I stated above.. if they add enough fun things to be able to do on extended sails, I will be perfectly fine with the current state of sailing. I am a MAN, not a KID, I have work and other obligations that keep me from playing all the time, like a no-life leech. I simply cannot dedicate 14 hours a day for a game. Next time READ before you make assumptions.

Edited by WildWyvern20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WildWyvern20 said:

First off, me and my buddies are men. The buddies I am referring to are 50+ years of age, and we play Ark, Rust, so on. 

Exactly the Problem!

 

Think about this a moment!  Small Cross Section of Gamers like yourself that play Ark, Rust, 7 days to Die, DayZ, etc

They already have a successful game in this Cross Section of Gamers "Ark"

 

Should you compete with your own game?  Or should you Branch out, Diversify into a Market that is empty!!!

 

the MMORPG Market is Huge compared to your Niche you seem hell bent to keep this game inside of.....

The MMORPG Market has two types of games (Themepark and Sandbox)  

Themepark = Everquest, World of Warcraft and the majority of every MMORPG that has released since WoW's success

Themepark Players represent about 60-65% of MMORPG players

 

Sandox players are roughly 35-40% of MMORPG players and they play games like!

Ultima Online

Star Wars Galaxies

Eve Online

 

Problem with the sandbox MMORPG Market is there hasn't been any in years!!!

The remaining 35-40% of the MMORPG markets has been stuck with Eve Online and Wurm Online for years and we want something better we have been wanting something better for years now but Game Developers seem blind to the fact there is this un-untapped market that needs a game to fill it vacuum!  

 

Sadly Atlas is one of the first games in Years to show Promise as to be that "game" we have been waiting for!

But you ark types keep dragging it back to the niche depths of ark, it has the potential to be a Juggernaut or Titan in the game industry as an MMORPG, but it will never happen with the wrong people influencing this game in the wrong direction!  That is the true problem with this game!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Sulfurblade said:

Exactly the Problem!

 

Think about this a moment!  Small Cross Section of Gamers like yourself that play Ark, Rust, 7 days to Die, DayZ, etc

They already have a successful game in this Cross Section of Gamers "Ark"

 

Should you compete with your own game?  Or should you Branch out, Diversify into a Market that is empty!!!

 

the MMORPG Market is Huge compared to your Niche you seem hell bent to keep this game inside of.....

The MMORPG Market has two types of games (Themepark and Sandbox)  

Themepark = Everquest, World of Warcraft and the majority of every MMORPG that has released since WoW's success

Themepark Players represent about 60-65% of MMORPG players

 

Sandox players are roughly 35-40% of MMORPG players and they play games like!

Ultima Online

Star Wars Galaxies

Eve Online

 

Problem with the sandbox MMORPG Market is there hasn't been any in years!!!

The remaining 35-40% of the MMORPG markets has been stuck with Eve Online and Wurm Online for years and we want something better we have been wanting something better for years now but Game Developers seem blind to the fact there is this un-untapped market that needs a game to fill it vacuum!  

 

Sadly Atlas is one of the first games in Years to show Promise as to be that "game" we have been waiting for!

But you ark types keep dragging it back to the niche depths of ark, it has the potential to be a Juggernaut or Titan in the game industry as an MMORPG, but it will never happen with the wrong people influencing this game in the wrong direction!  That is the true problem with this game!!!

 

Um.... I don't ONLY play survival games, it was an example. We are a problem? You really are ridiculous. I wanted it to, but this game will NOT make it in the MMORPG market, the devs have figured that out and are leaning more towards singleplayer and so on. The engine simply can not run it, and even if it could, it would be laggy with low FPS's. That has been proven. FFXIV is a Titan, right now.. especially with the release of Shadowbringers. If you are lookin for a good MMORPG, start there. I'm holding out for Star Citizen, hoping something will happen there. Anywho, this is an entirely different game, anyways... if, SOMEHOW, they manage to make it/or even continue TRYING to make it into an MMORPG, it will not be like any other MMO out. It is it's very own brand of game. A Survival Sandbox MMORPG. I support this game wholeheartedly, and wish it the very best... but don't you dare come here and say that people, like me and my buddies, are a problem. We love this and the gaming industry just as much as the next guy, and only offer our opinions. Whether you agree with it or not, these are my opinions. This is what I think will be best for the game.

P.S: If you'd read, you'd see that I clearly stated: THIS IS NOT ARK, DO NOT TRY TO MAKE IT LIKE ARK!

Edited by WildWyvern20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Um.... I don't ONLY play survival games, it was an example. We are a problem?

You are if you continue to demand that that game be more like Ark and Rust.  The game needs to separate itself from the Griefer Genre it needs to advance and develop and become something better than what it is now!

Quote

You really are ridiculous. I wanted it to, but this game will NOT make it in the MMORPG market, the devs have figured that out and are leaning more towards singleplayer and so on.

I am ridiculous says the guy "Holding out for Star Citizen?"

Quote

FFXIV is a Titan, right now.. especially with the release of Shadowbringers. If you are lookin for a good MMORPG, start there.

I am pretty sure I have made it clear that I identify with the large group of MMORPG gamers wanting a Sandbox MMORPG and you suggest a "Themepark" for me?!?

Quote

but don't you dare come here and say that people, like me and my buddies, are a problem.

Do you believe that travel is not fast enough?  Would you prefer to have X3 or X5 rates would you prefer character XP to be increased?  If so then I do indeed believe you are a problem, a pandemic is the gaming industry, however that's my opinion.  It's likely not the same as yours.    However Part of the point of these forums is for the developers to see both sides of a coin and sort out what's best it's up to you and me to make our case to the best of our ability, no matter if we agree or not.

Quote

We love this and the gaming industry just as much as the next guy, and only offer our opinions. Whether you agree with it or not, these are my opinions. This is what I think will be best for the game.

And I will never tell you to shut up, I will never tell you to go away and I fully support your right to share your opinion!  However I will probably disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sulfurblade said:

You are if you continue to demand that that game be more like Ark and Rust.  The game needs to separate itself from the Griefer Genre it needs to advance and develop and become something better than what it is now!

I am ridiculous says the guy "Holding out for Star Citizen?"

I am pretty sure I have made it clear that I identify with the large group of MMORPG gamers wanting a Sandbox MMORPG and you suggest a "Themepark" for me?!?

Do you believe that travel is not fast enough?  Would you prefer to have X3 or X5 rates would you prefer character XP to be increased?  If so then I do indeed believe you are a problem, a pandemic is the gaming industry, however that's my opinion.  It's likely not the same as yours.    However Part of the point of these forums is for the developers to see both sides of a coin and sort out what's best it's up to you and me to make our case to the best of our ability, no matter if we agree or not.

And I will never tell you to shut up, I will never tell you to go away and I fully support your right to share your opinion!  However I will probably disagree.

Oh. My. Goodness... 
Number ONE: I DO NOT WANT THIS GAME TO BE LIKE ARK OR RUST! DO NOT, I do not want this game to be like Ark or Rust, I Do Not Want This Game to be like Ark or Rust. I don't know how many times I have to say that.

Number TWO: Holding out for Star Citizen, as I am holding out for this one. This game is very ambitious, just like Star Citizen. But, nowhere near.

Number THREE: No comment.

Number FOUR: I think the travel is fine, IF THEY ADD FUN THINGS TO DO WHILST SAILING FOR LONG DISTANCES! It is in Early Access, so I know things can/will change, and get better. If not, though, then the map needs to be cut in half, at the least. I NEVER stated I wanted Char EXP to be increased??? Let me put this in simple terms.. NEEBS GAMING, a very popular gaming YTer, stated in a video: There is a line between having fun with a game, and it sucking your life away. I don't want it easy, but I don't want to HAVE to play it like a job. It is a videogame, not a job.

Number FIVE: Thank you for that.

From what you are posting, you are putting words in my mouth, and you aren't really reading my posts. I WANT this game to be different than the other Survivals, and If it succeeds, it will be it's own kind of game. Since it's release, I have stated, "PvE'ers and RP'ers will be ESSENTIAL to make this game work." This game rewards teamwork, and cooperation to build empires, to build settlements, to have an economy. It wants it's own player economy, politics, etc. And I do agree, people that are WAY into PvP in Rust, DayZ, and so on will not help this game grow. I have a voice, and a good one. I love the game, but I know it's flaws, and I am not afraid to point em out. This game has so much potential.. Again, I advocate for it.. and I hope it TO BE A DOOR TO A NEW ERA OF MMORPG's AND SURVIVALS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Quote

Oh. My. Goodness... 
Number ONE: I DO NOT WANT THIS GAME TO BE LIKE ARK OR RUST! DO NOT, I do not want this game to be like Ark or Rust, I Do Not Want This Game to be like Ark or Rust. I don't know how many times I have to say that.

To be honest the part of your Original Post I did not quote did get a little lost in this conversation.

Also I don't remember seeing the Post Scriptum the first time I read that particular post was it edited in???

So when I read this, I was just a bit taken aback so I went back thru your history and found those two items!  So I guess to an extent I was making an assumption so I will have to walk this line of thought back and say sorry, I now see that you don't want this to be like Ark.

Quote

Number TWO: Holding out for Star Citizen, as I am holding out for this one. This game is very ambitious, just like Star Citizen. But, nowhere near.

The Only thing I will say here is I sense our opinions on this topic are in stark contrast.

Quote

Number FIVE: Thank you for that.

No worries mate

Quote

From what you are posting, you are putting words in my mouth, and you aren't really reading my posts. I WANT this game to be different than the other Survivals, and If it succeeds, it will be it's own kind of game. Since it's release, I have stated, "PvE'ers and RP'ers will be ESSENTIAL to make this game work." This game rewards teamwork, and cooperation to build empires, to build settlements, to have an economy. It wants it's own player economy, politics, etc. And I do agree, people that are WAY into PvP in Rust, DayZ, and so on will not help this game grow. I have a voice, and a good one. I love the game, but I know it's flaws, and I am not afraid to point em out. This game has so much potential.. Again, I advocate for it.. and I hope it TO BE A DOOR TO A NEW ERA OF MMORPG's AND SURVIVALS.

I certainly don't want to put words in your mouth, I have attempted to keep my comments to the quoted line items.  However it true I missed your earlier comment in the original post that does put some of my comments in a different light.

Edited by Sulfurblade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sulfurblade said:

To be honest the part of your Original Post I did not quote did get a little lost in this conversation.

Also I don't remember seeing the Post Scriptum the first time I read that particular post was it edited in???

So when I read this, I was just a bit taken aback so I went back thru your history and found those two items!  So I guess to an extent I was making an assumption so I will have to walk this line of thought back and say sorry, I now see that you don't want this to be like Ark.

The Only thing I will say here is I sense our opinions on this topic are in stark contrast.

No worries mate

I certainly don't want to put words in your mouth, I have attempted to keep my comments to the quoted line items.  However it true I missed your earlier comment in the original post that does put some of my comments in a different light.

Thank you, I appreciated this debate. Have a good night, brother. May Atlas pull through, and reign in a new era of games.... in like 5 or 6 years.. lolz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sailing speed or distance if you prefer is one of the reasons I stopped playing atlas. I have a full time job and a family. The number of meaningful things you can do in atlas is extremely short.
 

If you only have an hour or two to play there are preferable gamin options to atlas. A trip to the freeport and back for crew can take an hour. Nevermind sailing to other regions for resources.

 

Atlas is NOT a game for casual players not in a pvp environment at least.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sulfurblade said:

Sadly Atlas is one of the first games in Years to show Promise as to be that "game" we have been waiting for!

But you ark types keep dragging it back to the niche depths of ark, it has the potential to be a Juggernaut or Titan in the game industry as an MMORPG, but it will never happen with the wrong people influencing this game in the wrong direction!  That is the true problem with this game!!!

 

The "Game" we are all waiting for, even if you aren't yet aware of it is "Ashes Of Creation". A true MMORPG SANDBOX, where what Atlas has to offer is only a small piece of the game. This is being created by an Intrepid Studios, on the UR4 engine. The UR4 engine might just be not that good of an engine unfortunately (ref the Atlas experience when more than 25 people are in a grid). 

Atlas is missing a lot to become the MMORPG it was advertised as. Albiet it is still in EA. The sailing aspect is not the problem. In fact, it is by far the easiest sailing of multiple sailing games. Not only that, it is one of the few areas that isn't broken or missing something gaping. The NPC's will literally do everything for you, excepting evasive maneuvering. The wind varies, making sailing a thing. The ocean is full, all the way down, with terrain, obstacles, mobs, please try to appreciate this enormity of this. The stage is set to bring in an entirely separate race that lives under the sea and would integrate seamlessly because of this. Don't forget whaling, killing un-dead boats, floatsom, shipwrecks. It may take up to an hour to cross 2 grids against the wind, but this is planned. This was the feeble attempt at incentive to not attack someone too far away.

Here are some major items Atlas needs to move forward;

- Incentive, give me a reason or reward for attacking certain people or strong holds. The reason we PvP now is just because, or for territory, but the territory isn't really any more valuable than the next island over. No one GAINS from wiping another clan. You spend an exorbitant amount of resources just to basically force some other group out of the game. Certainly there should be more incentive for bigger clans to attack each other or at least the same thing to create a more equal conflict setting. Same goes for smaller clans. Conversely there should be a disincentive to just obliterating other players out of the game. Other wise we should take a different route, and do seasons with 1-3 wipes a year starting a new "season" and restarting the race.

- Economy, there is no official one. You have to have 3 things; Supply, Demand, and a medium. I need something I can't easily get, you have to have it, and we need some NPC help to facilitate this transaction over distance. This is an MMORPG pillar that has been ignored for some reason. This means skill trees have to matter. Can't have anyone who gets to lvl 100 be able to do everything. MMORPGs should create the necessity for variation of play styles. Right now, I am all classes whenever I want.

- Bank, There needs to be some way to save some things. Preferably, gold, items, and boats. Almost like a.....dare I say....."Fee Port" with a harbor that will save a boat away somewhere. Even if there is a modest cost to it, although I feel 1 boat for free is best. Perhaps whatever fits on the boat is what is saved. Problem of wiping people out of the game is eased greatly for this one thing.

- Anchored boats should neither take nor deal dmg. This could almost alleviate the need for a bank, excepting the boat can disappear after 10 days if its not in a bank. If anyone feels this allows you to ring off an island, simply lower the allowed boat count. You can only hold so much on a boat. Attacking any anchored boat right now is just taking candy from babies and then drowning them in shallow pools. I cant tell you how many people I played with logged on, saw all boats wrecked and left for good.

Dammit, I am not even writing this very well.

TLDR; Tames suck. The first paragraph is the most important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sulfurblade said:

 

Sandox players are roughly 35-40% of MMORPG players and they play games like!

Ultima Online

Star Wars Galaxies

Eve Online

 

Problem with the sandbox MMORPG Market is there hasn't been any in years!!!

The remaining 35-40% of the MMORPG markets has been stuck with Eve Online and Wurm Online for years and we want something better we have been wanting something better for years now but Game Developers seem blind to the fact there is this un-untapped market that needs a game to fill it vacuum!  

 

Sadly Atlas is one of the first games in Years to show Promise as to be that "game" we have been waiting for!

But you ark types keep dragging it back to the niche depths of ark, it has the potential to be a Juggernaut or Titan in the game industry as an MMORPG, but it will never happen with the wrong people influencing this game in the wrong direction!  That is the true problem with this game!!!

 

How can you say there hasn't been a sandbox MMORPG in years when you just cited Eve and it has been going strong for over a decade? You can nitpick that Eve isn't an MMORPG because you don't see your character as a pilot but rather the ship you are flying, but that's an extremely tiny nitpick that you yourself didn't bother to consider noteworthy. I think to refine what you're arguing there is a strong desire for a true sandbox alternative to Eve for any number of reasons (don't like sci fi or ship combat, don't like real time skill based system, don't like clan dominated politics and intrigue, etc etc), does that sound fair?

I myself crave several of the things Eve does well (complex economy and crafting, massive game world to explore), yet I am not playing Eve and don't plan to. I think you are right there is a lot of untapped potential out there in the market but the problem is that these very systems that sandbox players crave are both inherently complex and require large playerbases to work properly. These two things are somewhat contradictory, as the bigger chunk of the market you're trying to chase as a designer, the greater the pressure to simplify your systems and gameplay because many gamers do not care for complexity.

I think Atlas sort of succeeds as a sandbox but fails hardcore as an MMORPG. I think some of the things they have done so far hint at a vision that is unique, but so far either than vision is one that isn't going over well with the marketplace or isn't being executed in a way that conveys it to players. As far as the downfall being the wrong people influencing the game, I think that one thing a game developer must do is balance their own vision with input from their team and players. If players are influencing the game in the wrong direction to the point the game fails or falls far short of it's potential, that would ultimately fall at Jeremy and Jess's feet, because it is still supposed to be their vision for the game that sees it through regardless of what players say.

I disagree that Atlas has some enormous potential to be a Juggernaut or Titan in the industry. I think that went out the window possibly with New Years, probably no later than 30 days in. This is an industry that is not forgiving of a bad launch and where a bad reputation is a very hard thing to turn around. I have cited No Man's Sky in the past, but as an example that a game isn't dead when many say it is, not that it can recover to be something massively popular. I think that if well executed Atlas has an interesting vision that could turn out to be a genre defying game that doesn't fit into any easily defined boxes, and perhaps could carve itself a respectable niche in the gaming world. I worry that if Atlas fails, the lesson that other studios and developers might take from it is "don't try to innovate, stick with the tried and true" when the lesson they should take is "don't throw a game out there way before it's ready and think the market will forgive because you called it EA."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

The "Game" we are all waiting for, even if you aren't yet aware of it is "Ashes Of Creation". A true MMORPG SANDBOX, where what Atlas has to offer is only a small piece of the game. This is being created by an Intrepid Studios, on the UR4 engine. The UR4 engine might just be not that good of an engine unfortunately (ref the Atlas experience when more than 25 people are in a grid). 

Atlas is missing a lot to become the MMORPG it was advertised as. Albiet it is still in EA. The sailing aspect is not the problem. In fact, it is by far the easiest sailing of multiple sailing games. Not only that, it is one of the few areas that isn't broken or missing something gaping. The NPC's will literally do everything for you, excepting evasive maneuvering. The wind varies, making sailing a thing. The ocean is full, all the way down, with terrain, obstacles, mobs, please try to appreciate this enormity of this. The stage is set to bring in an entirely separate race that lives under the sea and would integrate seamlessly because of this. Don't forget whaling, killing un-dead boats, floatsom, shipwrecks. It may take up to an hour to cross 2 grids against the wind, but this is planned. This was the feeble attempt at incentive to not attack someone too far away.

Here are some major items Atlas needs to move forward;

- Incentive, give me a reason or reward for attacking certain people or strong holds. The reason we PvP now is just because, or for territory, but the territory isn't really any more valuable than the next island over. No one GAINS from wiping another clan. You spend an exorbitant amount of resources just to basically force some other group out of the game. Certainly there should be more incentive for bigger clans to attack each other or at least the same thing to create a more equal conflict setting. Same goes for smaller clans. Conversely there should be a disincentive to just obliterating other players out of the game. Other wise we should take a different route, and do seasons with 1-3 wipes a year starting a new "season" and restarting the race.

- Economy, there is no official one. You have to have 3 things; Supply, Demand, and a medium. I need something I can't easily get, you have to have it, and we need some NPC help to facilitate this transaction over distance. This is an MMORPG pillar that has been ignored for some reason. This means skill trees have to matter. Can't have anyone who gets to lvl 100 be able to do everything. MMORPGs should create the necessity for variation of play styles. Right now, I am all classes whenever I want.

- Bank, There needs to be some way to save some things. Preferably, gold, items, and boats. Almost like a.....dare I say....."Fee Port" with a harbor that will save a boat away somewhere. Even if there is a modest cost to it, although I feel 1 boat for free is best. Perhaps whatever fits on the boat is what is saved. Problem of wiping people out of the game is eased greatly for this one thing.

- Anchored boats should neither take nor deal dmg. This could almost alleviate the need for a bank, excepting the boat can disappear after 10 days if its not in a bank. If anyone feels this allows you to ring off an island, simply lower the allowed boat count. You can only hold so much on a boat. Attacking any anchored boat right now is just taking candy from babies and then drowning them in shallow pools. I cant tell you how many people I played with logged on, saw all boats wrecked and left for good.

Dammit, I am not even writing this very well.

TLDR; Tames suck. The first paragraph is the most important. 

Nah, no incentive need at all. No wipes plain and simple. It’s stupid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

How can you say there hasn't been a sandbox MMORPG in years when you just cited Eve and it has been going strong for over a decade? You can nitpick that Eve isn't an MMORPG because you don't see your character as a pilot but rather the ship you are flying, but that's an extremely tiny nitpick that you yourself didn't bother to consider noteworthy. I think to refine what you're arguing there is a strong desire for a true sandbox alternative to Eve for any number of reasons (don't like sci fi or ship combat, don't like real time skill based system, don't like clan dominated politics and intrigue, etc etc), does that sound fair?

I myself crave several of the things Eve does well (complex economy and crafting, massive game world to explore), yet I am not playing Eve and don't plan to. I think you are right there is a lot of untapped potential out there in the market but the problem is that these very systems that sandbox players crave are both inherently complex and require large playerbases to work properly. These two things are somewhat contradictory, as the bigger chunk of the market you're trying to chase as a designer, the greater the pressure to simplify your systems and gameplay because many gamers do not care for complexity.

I think Atlas sort of succeeds as a sandbox but fails hardcore as an MMORPG. I think some of the things they have done so far hint at a vision that is unique, but so far either than vision is one that isn't going over well with the marketplace or isn't being executed in a way that conveys it to players. As far as the downfall being the wrong people influencing the game, I think that one thing a game developer must do is balance their own vision with input from their team and players. If players are influencing the game in the wrong direction to the point the game fails or falls far short of it's potential, that would ultimately fall at Jeremy and Jess's feet, because it is still supposed to be their vision for the game that sees it through regardless of what players say.

I disagree that Atlas has some enormous potential to be a Juggernaut or Titan in the industry. I think that went out the window possibly with New Years, probably no later than 30 days in. This is an industry that is not forgiving of a bad launch and where a bad reputation is a very hard thing to turn around. I have cited No Man's Sky in the past, but as an example that a game isn't dead when many say it is, not that it can recover to be something massively popular. I think that if well executed Atlas has an interesting vision that could turn out to be a genre defying game that doesn't fit into any easily defined boxes, and perhaps could carve itself a respectable niche in the gaming world. I worry that if Atlas fails, the lesson that other studios and developers might take from it is "don't try to innovate, stick with the tried and true" when the lesson they should take is "don't throw a game out there way before it's ready and think the market will forgive because you called it EA."

You are definitely right when it comes to not being a titan. But no matter what they do they will never reach WoW status. That is literally impossible.

that being said they do very well have a chance at people saying “yeah that is a pretty good game”.  They should be very proud of that status because that is all they can hope for. Right now it is known as the worst game ever, unfortunately. Yeah even compared to no mans sky. Kind of sad what people say on Twitter. Even I stick up for them every once in awhile when someone goes beyond the line I am willing to go.

there is a very clear reason why not only atlas but ark as well succeeded as a sandbox though. The lack of content actually makes it a definitive sandbox because there is nothing else to do but use your imagination. I would like to introduce a term called “forced sandbox”. 

It wasn’t that they made the game a sandbox but they forced the players themselves to make it a sandbox. The lack of vision is even worse than ark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 8:12 AM, Chucksteak said:

The "Game" we are all waiting for, even if you aren't yet aware of it is "Ashes Of Creation". A true MMORPG SANDBOX, where what Atlas has to offer is only a small piece of the game. This is being created by an Intrepid Studios, on the UR4 engine. The UR4 engine might just be not that good of an engine unfortunately (ref the Atlas experience when more than 25 people are in a grid). 

Atlas is missing a lot to become the MMORPG it was advertised as. Albiet it is still in EA. The sailing aspect is not the problem. In fact, it is by far the easiest sailing of multiple sailing games. Not only that, it is one of the few areas that isn't broken or missing something gaping. The NPC's will literally do everything for you, excepting evasive maneuvering. The wind varies, making sailing a thing. The ocean is full, all the way down, with terrain, obstacles, mobs, please try to appreciate this enormity of this. The stage is set to bring in an entirely separate race that lives under the sea and would integrate seamlessly because of this. Don't forget whaling, killing un-dead boats, floatsom, shipwrecks. It may take up to an hour to cross 2 grids against the wind, but this is planned. This was the feeble attempt at incentive to not attack someone too far away.

Here are some major items Atlas needs to move forward;

- Incentive, give me a reason or reward for attacking certain people or strong holds. The reason we PvP now is just because, or for territory, but the territory isn't really any more valuable than the next island over. No one GAINS from wiping another clan. You spend an exorbitant amount of resources just to basically force some other group out of the game. Certainly there should be more incentive for bigger clans to attack each other or at least the same thing to create a more equal conflict setting. Same goes for smaller clans. Conversely there should be a disincentive to just obliterating other players out of the game. Other wise we should take a different route, and do seasons with 1-3 wipes a year starting a new "season" and restarting the race.

- Economy, there is no official one. You have to have 3 things; Supply, Demand, and a medium. I need something I can't easily get, you have to have it, and we need some NPC help to facilitate this transaction over distance. This is an MMORPG pillar that has been ignored for some reason. This means skill trees have to matter. Can't have anyone who gets to lvl 100 be able to do everything. MMORPGs should create the necessity for variation of play styles. Right now, I am all classes whenever I want.

- Bank, There needs to be some way to save some things. Preferably, gold, items, and boats. Almost like a.....dare I say....."Fee Port" with a harbor that will save a boat away somewhere. Even if there is a modest cost to it, although I feel 1 boat for free is best. Perhaps whatever fits on the boat is what is saved. Problem of wiping people out of the game is eased greatly for this one thing.

- Anchored boats should neither take nor deal dmg. This could almost alleviate the need for a bank, excepting the boat can disappear after 10 days if its not in a bank. If anyone feels this allows you to ring off an island, simply lower the allowed boat count. You can only hold so much on a boat. Attacking any anchored boat right now is just taking candy from babies and then drowning them in shallow pools. I cant tell you how many people I played with logged on, saw all boats wrecked and left for good.

Dammit, I am not even writing this very well.

TLDR; Tames suck. The first paragraph is the most important. 

I am aware of Ashes,

 

However Ashes has several Everquest Developers and Steven Sharif has a long history of playing Themepark MMORPG's so my hope is very tempered that any type of Sandbox MMORPG will come from this, it is definately leaning towards Themepark....

 

No most of my Hope is with Chronicles of Elyria...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 10:58 AM, boomervoncannon said:

How can you say there hasn't been a sandbox MMORPG in years when you just cited Eve and it has been going strong for over a decade? You can nitpick that Eve isn't an MMORPG because you don't see your character as a pilot but rather the ship you are flying, but that's an extremely tiny nitpick that you yourself didn't bother to consider noteworthy.

Eve Online Released in 2003  its now 2019 is 16 years not a lengthy amount of time???

Sure Eve servers are still up for that matter Ultima Online Servers are still up!!!

The Point here is not that there is a Sandbox to play its that there hasn't been any decent ones developed in a Long time!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Sulfurblade said:

Eve Online Released in 2003  its now 2019 is 16 years not a lengthy amount of time???

Sure Eve servers are still up for that matter Ultima Online Servers are still up!!!

The Point here is not that there is a Sandbox to play its that there hasn't been any decent ones developed in a Long time!!!

Ah okay, must have missed that bit of nuance, my bad.  I really liked the crafting system they had worked out for the repopulation, but the rest of the game was nothing special and it’s dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×