Realist

Atlas and steam charts

Need more weight on ships. They should feel bigger. Cargo racks shouldn't reduce speed, and instead cost lots of mats perhaps.

Edited by eeeceee
  • Like 1

I dunno.... The brig and the galleon feel pretty big. Especially the galleon.

I think removing the speed handicaps kills some of the strategy. Should I build a lumbering, slow ship that can haul a city's worth of mats, or a faster attack ship that maneuvers great? 

Having a ship that can do it all, IMO, is a cop-out and dumbs down the game. If you're worried about losing your slow ship to a whale or SotD or pvp, then protect it with some faster armed ships.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hattrix said:

I dunno.... The brig and the galleon feel pretty big. Especially the galleon.

I think removing the speed handicaps kills some of the strategy. Should I build a lumbering, slow ship that can haul a city's worth of mats, or a faster attack ship that maneuvers great? 

Having a ship that can do it all, IMO, is a cop-out and dumbs down the game. If you're worried about losing your slow ship to a whale or SotD or pvp, then protect it with some faster armed ships.

what speed handicaps were removed?

On 9/15/2019 at 2:22 PM, boomervoncannon said:

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

they are coming after the siesta.

On 9/30/2019 at 3:18 PM, boomervoncannon said:

To start with, all gaming companies are businesses, and ALL businesses exist to make money. If they do not, they cease to exist. No company, no game. So as a player, you should want the companies that run the games you play to make a profit. Let’s dispense with this underlying assumption most gamers seem to have that making money is bad and always at their expense. Do you work for free? No? Neither do the devs, and I assure you they work plenty. Greed in gaming is when companies seek to make additional profit without adding value to their customers experience.

Loot boxes are greed because they allow companies to hide the cost of additional content which used to be either free or at a straightforward cost in a cash shop behind an RNG that has the side benefit to them of triggering addictive behavior in their customers. If your marketing strategy is the same as your coke dealer, yeah that’s greed. 

Do you see any loot boxes in Atlas? No. But you’re not a fan of the move to sell the game to Xbox players. Neither am I at this juncture. However there is a strong possibility it’s necessary. 4 official game worlds, totaling over 900 servers, that monthly bill ain’t cheap. And everyone at Grapeshot needs to eat and pay the rent. The game has fared poorly after its initial launch, meaning the amount of revenue coming in the past 6 months is falling far short of expenses. At some point more money has to come in or the music stops. It would not be unreasonable to infer that the Xbox launch when the game is clearly nowhere near a finished product means that that point has been reached. 

If it has not, if this move is not being made from need, its an extremely poor long term business decision because the game has not been improved enough to expect it will do much better on Xbox than it did on pc. But when things go south as quickly as they have for Atlas, it may be the only option they have. None of us knows for sure because we don’t have access to GC’s balance sheets, but with what we do know, these are reasonable guesses.

its not reasonable not acceptable to ship a unfinished, badly developer, buggy, lacking of content game selling it as if there was nothing wrong with it, just as is not reasonable to and is actually punishable by law to sell something on the internet advertising it as X and then deliverying Y because you never had X to begin with but you need to eat, selling something by providing missleading information is called fraud.

as you can see there is never a mention of the game being in early access, they mention a road map but never the development stage of the game, we cannot even call this an alpha, 7 days to die is in Alpha stage and it has 500% more technical polish than atlas, satisfactory is in beta and it has 1000% more technical polish, the only reason videogame companies are pulling this type of cash grabs with no legal repercution is because is more expensive to file a lawsuit than to lose 20 bucks.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 6:34 PM, Chucksteak said:

@Redarcus @boomervoncannon

Before we accuse them of money grabbing, let's please do acknowledge that there are no cash shops or loot boxes. Let's also keep in mind what we paid for the game, vs what it would sell for when it's finished (over a year away still). I challenge you to find a much better deal in video gaming.

I would also differ to GS's own statement about thier financial position when it was released to EA. They stated that they had the cash to finish the game for a winter 2021 launch without the EA revenue. This may be a lie, but then that's me speculating. I will give them the benefit of doubt and trust thier statement.

This does bring us back to Xbox launch. Why? Why wipe and launch now? It truly doesn't make sense to me until more was done.

as mentioned i nother post maybe i am to dino/ old schoold. You sell games almost finished. You make revenu to be in a big master Corperate company and you can shell shares to get cash money to finish a game. The old times, the could make games they believed in the game. Developed it compleet and then sold it. There was no sign that they need in there times halfway extra revenue or cash to finish the game. It makes to me sence of bad planning. Bad revenue forcast and bad cash management? Maybe i do not understand the wold that fine for me. Maybe i am better to be silence then say my opnion lol

30 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

its not reasonable not acceptable to ship a unfinished, badly developer, buggy, lacking of content game selling it as if there was nothing wrong with it, just as is not reasonable to and is actually punishable by law to sell something on the internet advertising it as X and then deliverying Y because you never had X to begin with but you need to eat, selling something by providing missleading information is called fraud.

as you can see there is never a mention of the game being in early access, they mention a road map but never the development stage of the game, we cannot even call this an alpha, 7 days to die is in Alpha stage and it has 500% more technical polish than atlas, satisfactory is in beta and it has 1000% more technical polish, the only reason videogame companies are pulling this type of cash grabs with no legal repercution is because is more expensive to file a lawsuit than to lose 20 bucks.

i think you are completly right, they are maybe of the old school game industry to afraid of customers rights so they called it now early acces and the can do what they wanted almost. If they do not care enough/repect there custmers/client and gamers. At the end they  will shoot in there own foot. Maybe i am completley wrong and they run the company an a very smart smooth way?

1 hour ago, The D Legacy said:

what speed handicaps were removed?

I was referring to EEECEEE post above mine. He/She wanted cargo racks to NOT reduce speed. I feel that it's fair to HAVE the cargo racks reduce speed and that speed restrictions should not be removed like he/she proposed.

9 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

The problem is that if they put Early access on the page where you buy it once (or wherever), that’s all they have to do to avoid the legal liability you’re talking about. They aren’t  required to inform you every time they talk about it. As far as why companies are doing this, it’s simple, they’ve found a way to turn what used to be a cost center into a profit center. To them it looks like a no brainier, but there is no free lunch. By charging people for a substandard product, Early Access or no, you negativity impact your game’s reputation in the marketplace, which has harder to quantify but definite consequences. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

The problem is that if they put Early access on the page where you buy it once (or wherever), that’s all they have to do to avoid the legal liability you’re talking about. They aren’t  required to inform you every time they talk about it. As far as why companies are doing this, it’s simple, they’ve found a way to turn what used to be a cost center into a profit center. To them it looks like a no brainier, but there is no free lunch. By charging people for a substandard product, Early Access or no, you negativity impact your game’s reputation in the marketplace, which has harder to quantify but definite consequences. 

Exactly, they thhink the have outsmarted the system but the consequences are quite clear, people will stop suporting early access games, in my personal case as much as i am enjoying 7 days to die i didnt pay for it, i will buy it when it releases as a finished product because i like it but i have set myself a red line of not buying anything in early acces anymore, and i have heard friends conversations about doing the same thing. Supporting early access once was being naive (anthem) doing it a second time was a mistake (Atlas) doing it a 3rd time would be being stupid.

31 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

Exactly, they thhink the have outsmarted the system but the consequences are quite clear, people will stop suporting early access games, in my personal case as much as i am enjoying 7 days to die i didnt pay for it, i will buy it when it releases as a finished product because i like it but i have set myself a red line of not buying anything in early acces anymore, and i have heard friends conversations about doing the same thing. Supporting early access once was being naive (anthem) doing it a second time was a mistake (Atlas) doing it a 3rd time would be being stupid.

Early Access as a concept does have a legitimate purpose. It can allow small independent studios who could not otherwise get their projects funded to have a means to take their idea to the marketplace, raise cash via crowdfunding or other means enough to get something playable off the ground, then use Early Access and player feedback to develop it further. In the hands of major studios and already successful ones like Wildcard, it's a perversion of a system that was working perfectly fine for 20 years.

3 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Early Access as a concept does have a legitimate purpose. It can allow small independent studios who could not otherwise get their projects funded to have a means to take their idea to the marketplace, raise cash via crowdfunding or other means enough to get something playable off the ground, then use Early Access and player feedback to develop it further. In the hands of major studios and already successful ones like Wildcard, it's a perversion of a system that was working perfectly fine for 20 years.

this is why we cannot have nice things, i am not a critic of the early access concept at all, its intention is good, but just as a lolipop could become a murdering weapon in the hands of the wrong person the current gaming industry greed knows no limit, and in a every day more compulsive consumist society wich is constantly being indoctinated by big companies to become less and less demanding while more and more tolerant it has become an exploitative tool wich only porpouse is to make money at the cost of even its own well being.

Holy 💩!!! We now have the second time that atlas steam charts is in the green(positive numbers). I am liking this.