Realist

Atlas and steam charts

30 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Do what now? He was referring to other games forums removing 'detrimental' posts and for 'good reasons', and what that traditionally means is any negative criticism, which is in fact sweeping things under the rug, as anything that might prevent a sale from a prospective customer could be considered detrimental. A lot of forums do that, and quite frankly it's in pretty poor taste. I havent noticed it really here, obviously this game has a very large amount of vocal critics as well as defenders, so it's a bit of a moot point for this forum.

Tho the suggestion of that level of censorship is quite awful.

Censorship in a public forum is indeed quite awful. Censorship of a forum paid for and maintained by the owners of a game is imo not awful. The game is a business, it exists to make money. It is commendable when gaming forums are open with their players and don’t suppress criticism like some do, and as someone who is at times critical of this game and it’s developers, I appreciate that GrapeCard let’s me have my say here even when it’s critical. I don’t think they owe this to me, nor is it any right. I think it’s a smart business decision because being open with your players can lead to valuable feedback even if, and sometimes especially when, it’s negative.

if the forum is owned and run by the game, it’s developers have every right to decide how much or how little they want to restrict speech there. I think that developers which do not suppress comments that are critical are making a smart business decision that happens to align nicely with our tradition of free speech.

18 hours ago, Realist said:

Hello Inigo, I appreciate your post. Not just on my behalf but because I believe you have a good and open minded personality. Thank you for being you. People don’t tell others that enough. It seems to be a lost form of communication to give credit where credit is due and I just want you to know you just got some credit.

Well thank you good Sir.

• Like 1

GOODNESS GRACIOUS even Jats post in the 'Can we get an update thread" is abysmal news my dude!

"Sir your game is broken"

"YES! And we have a plan to release it to the XBOX! WITH CROSS PLAY! It's gonna be UH MAY ZING! Also we have a roadmap for how we're going to do our future roadmap where we talk about actual updates and developments! The roadmaps roadmap is subject to change obviously, because EA. Also we are releasing a BRAND NEW LINE OF ATLAS THEMED APPAREL! Order your ATLAS Swag today! Show all your friends your support! We have Kraken bad dragon toys, Fire elemental beanie babies(super rare and worth a lot of money), our Arts and Craft department is also selling popsicle stick and macaroni ship artwork. t-shirts and infant onesies, Claim Flag Bumpstickers! So everyone knows your car belongs to YOU."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Inigo said:

GOODNESS GRACIOUS even Jats post in the 'Can we get an update thread" is abysmal news my dude!

"Sir your game is broken"

"YES! And we have a plan to release it to the XBOX! WITH CROSS PLAY! It's gonna be UH MAY ZING! Also we have a roadmap for how we're going to do our future roadmap where we talk about actual updates and developments! The roadmaps roadmap is subject to change obviously, because EA. Also we are releasing a BRAND NEW LINE OF ATLAS THEMED APPAREL! Order your ATLAS Swag today! Show all your friends your support! We have Kraken bad dragon toys, Fire elemental beanie babies(super rare and worth a lot of money), our Arts and Craft department is also selling popsicle stick and macaroni ship artwork. t-shirts and infant onesies, Claim Flag Bumpstickers! So everyone knows your car belongs to YOU."

*runs off to order claim flag bumper stickers.*

This is my fave post this week.

”claim flag bumper stickers! So everyone knows your car belongs to you!” Is one of the funniest things I’ve seen on here in a while.

Kudos sir.

27 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

*runs off to order claim flag bumper stickers.*

This is my fave post this week.

”claim flag bumper stickers! So everyone knows your car belongs to you!” Is one of the funniest things I’ve seen on here in a while.

Kudos sir.

*squints eyes and shakes head at boomer for still replying to this thread*

11 pages, fuck sakes.

I'll take 2 kracken dildos, dont ask why. 

#norealistleftbehind

Edited by Chucksteak

3 minutes ago, Chucksteak said:

*squints eyes and shakes head at boomer for still replying to this thread*

11 pages, fuck sakes.

I'll take 2 kracken dildos, dont ask why. 

#norealistleftbehind

Oh it’s on me is it? 

11 pages of people replying, the last of which before my last post was 2 hours ago, but it’s on my head?

*sticks his tongue out at Chuck* 

The guy’s post was funny, and I don't care if he said it last year during Kwanza, I’m gonna say so. Realist is gonna do what he’s gonna do, you know that by now, so whether any of us posts here matters little, guy who just posted here to imply others should stop posting here.

3 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Oh it’s on me is it? 

11 pages of people replying, the last of which before my last post was 2 hours ago, but it’s on my head?

*sticks his tongue out at Chuck* 

The guy’s post was funny, and I don't care if he said it last year during Kwanza, I’m gonna say so. Realist is gonna do what he’s gonna do, you know that by now, so whether any of us posts here matters little, guy who just posted here to imply others should stop posting here.

Was hoping youd find the irony 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chucksteak said:

Was hoping youd find the irony 😁

“Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.”

Good news. It seems as though even with the wipe and only one cluster, numbers are actually higher than before the wipe with less clusters.

so there is some positivity to this. As it stands so far there have been two wipes and both times were the times we saw and increase. 

Since xbox players haven’t joined yet I actually see a lot more people coming back when they do arrive.

this could be a sign of good things to come.

Dont read too much into it. For one their own posts show that the numbers were off due to a bug in counting for most of the weekend. The other was the "new car smell" effect. People logged onto pvp to see if there were any changes to the islands they want to go for and to see the new stuff. We had 20 people from our company on this weekend. Played a day, got offline raided, half have noped out till the 8th, the other half are playing on unofficial to fart around till the 8th. Will they get a bump? Sure. But just as quickly those that have came back will leave for the same reasons they left before as the core problems with the game have not changed.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, UnknownSystemError said:

Dont read too much into it. For one their own posts show that the numbers were off due to a bug in counting for most of the weekend. The other was the "new car smell" effect. People logged onto pvp to see if there were any changes to the islands they want to go for and to see the new stuff. We had 20 people from our company on this weekend. Played a day, got offline raided, half have noped out till the 8th, the other half are playing on unofficial to fart around till the 8th. Will they get a bump? Sure. But just as quickly those that have came back will leave for the same reasons they left before as the core problems with the game have not changed.

Yeah, offline raiding has always been a huge problem with these types of games. Kind of sucks because it takes all of the pvp away. That is why we are opting for pve this time. I want to wake up on the morning and know my stuff will still be there

They didnt fix any of the actual issues. They just decided to farm some console players on the way down.

But hey... there are cats now. Its a dream come true for any pirate. We all know they were suckers for that.

3 hours ago, Grongash said:

They didnt fix any of the actual issues. They just decided to farm some console players on the way down.

But hey... there are cats now. Its a dream come true for any pirate. We all know they were suckers for that.

i saw some cats, friend tried test , server setup. That was fun if it is pirates animals i do not now. 

I really the compnay is greedy to need to farm also some Xboxplayers pockets. Was there a big request for it from the PC player base they missed there Xbox friends? I doubt it.  So it are money greeday grabbing devs?

4 hours ago, Grongash said:

I just hope this game becomes less grind and more about sailing out and battling. But how are they ever going to achieve that. Building a galleon in 1 hour isn’t fun and realistic either. 

3 hours ago, Redarcus said:

i saw some cats, friend tried test , server setup. That was fun if it is pirates animals i do not now. 

I really the compnay is greedy to need to farm also some Xboxplayers pockets. Was there a big request for it from the PC player base they missed there Xbox friends? I doubt it.  So it are money greeday grabbing devs?

To start with, all gaming companies are businesses, and ALL businesses exist to make money. If they do not, they cease to exist. No company, no game. So as a player, you should want the companies that run the games you play to make a profit. Let’s dispense with this underlying assumption most gamers seem to have that making money is bad and always at their expense. Do you work for free? No? Neither do the devs, and I assure you they work plenty. Greed in gaming is when companies seek to make additional profit without adding value to their customers experience.

Loot boxes are greed because they allow companies to hide the cost of additional content which used to be either free or at a straightforward cost in a cash shop behind an RNG that has the side benefit to them of triggering addictive behavior in their customers. If your marketing strategy is the same as your coke dealer, yeah that’s greed. 

Do you see any loot boxes in Atlas? No. But you’re not a fan of the move to sell the game to Xbox players. Neither am I at this juncture. However there is a strong possibility it’s necessary. 4 official game worlds, totaling over 900 servers, that monthly bill ain’t cheap. And everyone at Grapeshot needs to eat and pay the rent. The game has fared poorly after its initial launch, meaning the amount of revenue coming in the past 6 months is falling far short of expenses. At some point more money has to come in or the music stops. It would not be unreasonable to infer that the Xbox launch when the game is clearly nowhere near a finished product means that that point has been reached.

If it has not, if this move is not being made from need, its an extremely poor long term business decision because the game has not been improved enough to expect it will do much better on Xbox than it did on pc. But when things go south as quickly as they have for Atlas, it may be the only option they have. None of us knows for sure because we don’t have access to GC’s balance sheets, but with what we do know, these are reasonable guesses.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@Redarcus @boomervoncannon

Before we accuse them of money grabbing, let's please do acknowledge that there are no cash shops or loot boxes. Let's also keep in mind what we paid for the game, vs what it would sell for when it's finished (over a year away still). I challenge you to find a much better deal in video gaming.

I would also differ to GS's own statement about thier financial position when it was released to EA. They stated that they had the cash to finish the game for a winter 2021 launch without the EA revenue. This may be a lie, but then that's me speculating. I will give them the benefit of doubt and trust thier statement.

This does bring us back to Xbox launch. Why? Why wipe and launch now? It truly doesn't make sense to me until more was done.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chucksteak said:

@Redarcus @boomervoncannon

Before we accuse them of money grabbing, let's please do acknowledge that there are no cash shops or loot boxes. Let's also keep in mind what we paid for the game, vs what it would sell for when it's finished (over a year away still). I challenge you to find a much better deal in video gaming.

I would also differ to GS's own statement about thier financial position when it was released to EA. They stated that they had the cash to finish the game for a winter 2021 launch without the EA revenue. This may be a lie, but then that's me speculating. I will give them the benefit of doubt and trust thier statement.

This does bring us back to Xbox launch. Why? Why wipe and launch now? It truly doesn't make sense to me until more was done.

This is what leads me to suspect that their cash situation may be other than what we were led to believe. It’s either that or they are making what I would regard as very ill advised business decisions.

Well for me considering the hours of enjoyment i've already had , and still to have compared to what I paid for Atlas it's been a damn good game. And yeah the devs are running a business and I totally back the xbox release, look at the way microsoft are eating into the future pc gaming market and you'll see what I mean. There are some tides you can't swim against but you can sail with them. (sorry for getting all nautical there, must be influenced by something).

On 9/15/2019 at 8:22 AM, boomervoncannon said:

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

In fact those who DO expect the Spanish Inquisition..... 

The COMFY CHAIR!!!!!! 

#NoRealistLeftBehind

How did I miss out on such a great hashtag!  Feeling the need to do an Atlas video about the Atlas Forum just so I can use this hashtag where I talk about Realist and Boomer...  Hmmm  would this be quality content???

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sulfurblade said:

Feeling the need to do an Atlas video about the Atlas Forum just so I can use this hashtag where I talk about Realist and Boomer...  Hmmm  would this be quality content???

*farts* 

qualitywhat?

18 hours ago, Percieval said:

I just hope this game becomes less grind and more about sailing out and battling. 

Yes, exactly that. If sailing just means to carry some resources half afk and tabbed out, "spiced up" with pointless Cyclones then ill pass, thanks.