Realist

Atlas and steam charts

On 8/16/2019 at 6:41 PM, Sulfurblade said:

But what I am sure is the Corporate types considered this easy money, so sure the water animations are brand new but that doesn't change the fact the game is based on an Ark Mod does it?

Penny Pinching on Jeremy's part???  While I think Jeremy's vision is half baked I certainly wouldn't give him this much credit.  As I doubt he has any credible control on the finances as again he was simply hired in order to claim ownership of the Mod, and now that they do own the mod his employment is no longer that important.  In Fact I would not be even remotely surprised to see him either quit or be fired in the near future as he likely doesn't have the control he wants and the company probably feels he is getting in the way.

Two things here:

1. Again, you keep referring to this game as just an Ark mod. Do you have any specific knowledge that is verifiable that it ever was or was intended to be a mod, because otherwise calling it such is imo just speculation, and weird speculation at that since Wildcard didn't develop mods, they just let others do so for Ark.  Do you mean that they intended Atlas as an in house DLC that they spun into a full game? If so I am skeptical of this notion because wooden sailing ships is entirely at odds with Ark's fully developed theme and story line. If you meant it was a mod developed by a modder, how come the playerbase never actually saw it?  I am equally skeptical of the notion some modder developed Atlas, brought it to the devs attention before releasing it for play, and the devs based on nothing more than this decided to spin this mod into a fully developed game. 

Your point about Nitrado is to my mind legit. It's entirely plausible that they may have developed the specific code for Atlas's grid in the interest of earning the business of hosting said grid, which is nothing to sneeze at, I'm perfectly willing to accept that as a very plausible scenario. But the reason I bring up the waves is because even as a layman who can't write a lick of code, I know enough to be reasonable sure it's beyond the scope of what someone could or would do for the sake of a mod, which given how central the waves are to Atlas's game design, suggests Atlas was conceived in the beginning as it's own game.

If I am missing some verifiable piece of information here, by all means please let me know, but to my mind these are the two most plausible scenarios when someone says Atlas was just an Ark mod, and neither one holds much water to me unless it can be verified somehow. There is nothing wrong with speculation if you are just speculating, but if so please be clear about that.

2. Along the same lines, this second paragraph is worded in such a way that it makes me wonder if you have access to information I don't. I consider myself reasonably well informed about Jeremy, Wildcard and Snail Games, but to the best of my knowledge no one knows exactly who owns GrapeCard and who calls the shots. It is publicly stated that Jeremy and Jess are in charge there, and it is entirely possible they have their own money from Ark invested in Atlas. I think the most likely scenario is that they have some of their own money in, along with backing from Snail games or other third party sources. I say this not because I know, but because this would be a common business arrangement under these sorts of circumstances. If Jeremy and Jess have their own money invested, then it is almost certain the legal aspect of GrapeCard would be setup in such a way that they could not simply be summarily dismissed by any third party. I consider it unlikely they do not have any of their own money invested because if I were a third party backing GrapeCard, and I had the creators of Ark running the project, I would want them to have some of their own money invested so that they have skin in the game.

Again, I do not have access to any information that is specific to GrapeCard and their actual situation, I am merely speculating based on my knowledge of typical business arrangements. If you have specific information otherwise, by all means I'm all ears.

Edited by boomervoncannon

On 8/16/2019 at 7:20 PM, Whitehawk said:

Dyu know I pay nearly £400 pounds a year to drink water? that's a cash grab as it's something I can't live without. If the air was fresh i'd probably have to pay for that too. Atlas isn't really a con because you don't have to buy it, my water bill, now that's a con!

if your water supply had the quality control of atlas you would already be dead so i think those 400 pounds are worth it

• Haha 2

It seems as though the NA pvp And pve are dwindling. I am wondering why Americans are starting to drift off. There is consistently more people on EU clusters even during the US peak time.

Obviously you never had direct dealings with the water supplier then, or you'd realize how wrong your statement is.

I would ask nestle about water issues. As owner, they should know best 😅

Anyways... Here in Switzerland we can drink from the pipes.

12 minutes ago, Forb Hidden said:

Dear Forb,

please send me a watch for my father, pictures of the beautiful Alps for my mother, and some chocolate for my next hot date. I promise to send by return post a picture of me with Michael Jordan (who is from my home state and owns the local NBA team),  a whole American apple pie, and Mary Lee Mamlin’s cornbread, which is amazing.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Dear Forb,

please send me a watch for my father, pictures of the beautiful Alps for my mother, and some chocolate for my next hot date. I promise to send by return post a picture of me with Michael Jordan (who is from my home state and owns the local NBA team),  a whole American apple pie, and Mary Lee Mamlin’s cornbread, which is amazing.

Sounds like a good deal. But instead of a picture with you and MJ, I would prefer a hot pic of Emmy Rossum a.e. 😝

And as a pure swiss men I don't have a watch 😅 useless and only a status symbol for the wannabes.

The Alps are really beautiful. Most swiss people forget about that beautiful part of the world with sooo many beautiful, hidden places in front of theyr doors (works for your next hot date way better than chocolate 😉 ).

An apple pie is not a big deal. Bring me an original sacher pie from wien, Austria. Once tryed the original, you never eat another chocolate pie again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forb Hidden said:

in spain we can too, if you want to die that is 😅, do you want to adopt a fellow atlas player? 😂

Bit of good old fashion forum PvP going on in this thread as the servers seem to be a tad under populated.  It is EA however and I'm fairly certain when a company plays the EA card they get the only thing that really counts at this point.  Time ....   So, I'll give it to them before I grab my "Mythic" pitchfork and begin poking BIG holes.

On a side note I think Jeremy/Wild Card/Snail went all out on the "Ark Mod" idea.  I recall another game eerily similar to Atlas/Ark but with an old west theme.  Developed and published by Ark folks a month or two after the Atlas release.  Who knows, there could be 4-5 games out there working with Ark code and just a different theme and companies/publishers released within the last few months.  Hey if you've got the money and manpower why not throw some sh!t at the wall and see what sticks?
Just gotta make sure it's got that "Early Access" tag though.

Here it is

https://store.steampowered.com/app/840800/Outlaws_of_the_Old_West/

Edited by Elmo

11 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Bit of good old fashion forum PvP going on in this thread as the servers seem to be a tad under populated.  It is EA however and I'm fairly certain when a company plays the EA card they get the only thing that really counts at this point.  Time ....   So, I'll give it to them before I grab my "Mythic" pitchfork and begin poking BIG holes.

On a side note I think Jeremy/Wild Card/Snail went all out on the "Ark Mod" idea.  I recall another game eerily similar to Atlas/Ark but with an old west theme.  Developed and published by Ark folks a month or two after the Atlas release.  Who knows, there could be 4-5 games out there working with Ark code and just a different theme and companies/publishers released within the last few months.  Hey if you've got the money and manpower why not throw some sh!t at the wall and see what sticks?

Here it is ...

Ahhhh yes, some good old fashion forum PvP as the servers seem to be a tad under populated.  It is EA however and I'm fairly certain when a company plays the EA card they get the only thing that really counts at this point.  Time ....   So, I'll give it to them before I grab my "Mythic" pitchfork and begin poking BIG holes.

Here it is

https://store.steampowered.com/app/840800/Outlaws_of_the_Old_West/

Snail games bought Wildcard from Jeremy and Jess. That gave them the right to use its base code in other games, which is what you’re seeing with the old west game. What is unknown is what, if any, stake snail has in Grapecard.

57 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

in spain we can too, if you want to die that is 😅, do you want to adopt a fellow atlas player? 😂

We got a house in Spain... But was not there since 5 years now. If u're near altea, I maybe get a gardener-job for you 😜

• Like 1

9 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Snail games bought Wildcard from Jeremy and Jess. That gave them the right to use its base code in other games, which is what you’re seeing with the old west game. What is unknown is what, if any, stake snail has in Grapecard.

WTF? What is this Wild West bs you are talking about?

9 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

To be honest, even the short videos of the Wild West bs, was pretty good. Still copy and paste but pretty good.

please boomer, at the very least don’t forget that Jeremy(through unethical business practices) got sued and that is the reason snail games got involved in the first place.

jeremy screwed ark. Ark didn’t screw ark. Be yoda all you want to. Once you get here in the real world you will see. Jeremy left ark.... ark got better. Jeremy made atlas.... atlas is 💩

there is a very close comparison between the two. Don’t bother with the toy don’t play 💩. No matter what anyone says, I see the numbers and the numbers are way more valuable than a person(lol) saying I don’t play the game.

1 minute ago, Realist said:

To be honest, even the short videos of the Wild West bs, was pretty good. Still copy and paste but pretty good.

please boomer, at the very least don’t forget that Jeremy(through unethical business practices) got sued and that is the reason snail games got involved in the first place.

jeremy screwed ark. Ark didn’t screw ark. Be yoda all you want to. Once you get here in the real world you will see. Jeremy left ark.... ark got better. Jeremy made atlas.... atlas is 💩

there is a very close comparison between the two. Don’t bother with the toy don’t play 💩. No matter what anyone says, I see the numbers and the numbers are way more valuable than a person(lol) saying I don’t play the game.

I didn't bring that up because it's not the point. He was obviously unclear about Snail Games relationship to Atlas and possibly Ark. The point of my post wasn't really about Jeremy, but about Snail games, and what we know about what they do and don't own. They bought Wildcard, they made the wild west thing using part of Ark's code. But GrapeCard is a seperate company and we don't know how involved Snail might be, if at all. What's not true is that all 3 are somehow just in some big pot o gaming company from out which pops 4 or 5 different games all with the same base code.

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2019 at 1:04 PM, boomervoncannon said:

I didn't bring that up because it's not the point. He was obviously unclear about Snail Games relationship to Atlas and possibly Ark. The point of my post wasn't really about Jeremy, but about Snail games, and what we know about what they do and don't own. They bought Wildcard, they made the wild west thing using part of Ark's code. But GrapeCard is a seperate company and we don't know how involved Snail might be, if at all. What's not true is that all 3 are somehow just in some big pot o gaming company from out which pops 4 or 5 different games all with the same base code.

Not the point? What do you mean?

Anyway, blah blah Jeremy shit emoticon blah blah......

4 minutes ago, eeeceee said:

Not the point? What do you mean?

Anyway, blah blah Jeremy shit emoticon blah blah......

He talked about Jeremy's unethical behavior that led to the lawsuit which led to Snail Games involvement with Ark and maybe Atlas. I said it's not the point for the reason already stated.

16 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

He talked about Jeremy's unethical behavior that led to the lawsuit which led to Snail Games involvement with Ark and maybe Atlas. I said it's not the point for the reason already stated.

Yeah, unfortunately it was poor choices that led to most of this. Wish he didn’t do it but he did so now we just have to deal with it. That will always be the point moving forward.

On 8/20/2019 at 3:47 AM, Realist said:

And yet here you are, saying all this.

While waiting for console release so you can play this game you describe so elegantly.

5 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Sorry... I was being obtuse on purpose. Of course it's not the point. That is blindingly obvious, and if not I pray for your soul.

I mean, to reply to your post that says:

"Snail games bought Wildcard from Jeremy and Jess. That gave them the right to use its base code in other games, which is what you’re seeing with the old west game. What is unknown is what, if any, stake snail has in Grapecard. "

with something that basically tries to say:

"remember the reason why snail got involved with wildcard, Jeremy sucks, ark sucks and atlas sucks"

which tries to pass itself off as some kind of prophetic or profound statement while not actually furthering the discussion, and is instead furthering some bizarre agenda.

Meh.

5 hours ago, eeeceee said:

Sorry... I was being obtuse on purpose. Of course it's not the point. That is blindingly obvious, and if not I pray for your soul.

I mean, to reply to your post that says:

"Snail games bought Wildcard from Jeremy and Jess. That gave them the right to use its base code in other games, which is what you’re seeing with the old west game. What is unknown is what, if any, stake snail has in Grapecard. "

with something that basically tries to say:

"remember the reason why snail got involved with wildcard, Jeremy sucks, ark sucks and atlas sucks"

which tries to pass itself off as some kind of prophetic or profound statement while not actually furthering the discussion, and is instead furthering some bizarre agenda.

Meh.

How exactly are you furthering the discussion either?

i actually was furthering the discussion. Jeremy’s mistake is what ultimately led to snail games coming into the equation in the first place. That is actually a crucial element of the story.

I never said ark sucked by the way.

5 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

And yet here you are, saying all this.

While waiting for console release so you can play this game you describe so elegantly.

Well yeah. Console release will bring in a lot of players. I was merely speaking on the present numbers.

i am almost sure console release will provide a high boost in population. I also hope the game is in better shape than it is right now once it releases on console.

mainly the claim system being gone.

13 hours ago, Realist said:

How exactly are you furthering the discussion either?

i actually was furthering the discussion. Jeremy’s mistake is what ultimately led to snail games coming into the equation in the first place. That is actually a crucial element of the story.

I never said ark sucked by the way.

By calling out your bs, in relation to the topic, so that we may go back to the topic, by making you post such things that question whether or not you are furthering the discussion. Unfortunately ,I don't know what snail is exactly in relation to grapecard. Nobody here knows it seems? You're not furthering anything, you're just telling a story about the past without offering anything further on the current discussion.

You said ark is screwed.

Tell your story walking, pal.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, eeeceee said:

You said ark is screwed.

Tell your story walking, pal.

Isn't Jermy still like... creative director of the Ark team, and Jess lead character artist?

@Realist 's complaints don't really hold water here, as per usual.