Dollie

Livestream Q&A

Right now melee fighting feels clunky and suboptimal due to the superiority of firearms and the slow movements of melee weapons.

Can we expect an improvement in the melee combat system and new weapons for this skill tree?

• Confused 1

When will exploratoin islands be rebalanced?

Even the Crab, Turtle, and Razortooth is not good enough. Either buff the Razortooth, Crab, Turtle, or lower difficulty.

Will we ever be able to tame Leatherwings? Can we expect flying machines or hot air balloons or zeppelins at any time?

The Pteranadon was my favorite creature in Ark, especially before the nerf, and I would love to see it's doppleganger here.

Gryphons would be amazing too.

I'm fine with creature difficulty as it is, but it should also go for things like Fire Elementals and Cyclops, gorgons etc as well, and their base HP is way too high. I also think Cyclops are way too big and fast. Their blueprint should be shrunk down and have their run speed reduced.

Edited by Bleakwise

Are there any plans to make skins functional in the future?

I feel like it is a waste of potential game-play mechanics to make all of the skins purely cosmetic. For example, the metal figurehead could be a ramming bow. The Hydra set could be a set that gives a bonus to taming. I think this would also be a better use of the blueprint system and a more traditional MMO approach.

In my "Atlas Nations" post I suggested a more traditional approach to PvP/E by using NPC factions. Are there plans to move forward with such a system to counteract the issues that currently effect PvP?

In this post I detailed a system (that admittedly needs some work) to allow both PvE and PvP players to play on the same grid, allow different flavors of PvP players to get content, and still allows for the current system of land claims. This more traditional system has worked for EvE Online; are there plans to move forward with a similar system?

Will there be any fixes for breeding and taming to make it a more casual, traditional MMO style affair?

I feel the breeding, storage, and taming of animals in Atlas is too much like Ark and cheapens the experience a great deal. Would the team be willing to take actions like: reduce breeding times, increase bola times, allow for power-stone taming, get rid of breeding temp requirements (or make an item equivalent to the Ark A/C Unit), allow newborns to use troughs, and make an number of tames summon-able/respawnable thus reducing their numbers and overall focus?

• Like 1

Will we be able to Duell each Other?  Like both Players Need to accept a Duell And then a Timer Starts ticking down And then we can. Do fist fight or sword Duells etc.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 1:04 AM, Bocanegra said:

Right now melee fighting feels clunky and suboptimal due to the superiority of firearms and the slow movements of melee weapons.

Can we expect an improvement in the melee combat system and new weapons for this skill tree?

really? Did you ever play pvp in this game? Its all about pike, mace, Blackjacks. Carbine and pistol is completely useless against high hp players and during lag.

• Thanks 1

Anyone of the questions(elongated requests), please:

-Stealing ships is nearly impossible, is there any plans on decreasing the timers to be the same as the island claiming? With how the game is set up, just the gameplay of sinking ships is the only satisfaction you're going to get. (unless they haven't popcorned everything onboard) 

-Any plans for rewards of sinking enemy ships to the player, that isn't decided on the receiver end(popcorning everything onboard)? Like at least 5 random bps of the enemy's ship parts and 10% to 25% of the ships XP taken.

-If you plan on adding tames, can they only be shoulder tames with buffs or can they only be creatures that are only killable and not tameable which drop some kind of useful loot? No one wants more tames in a pirate game. Players, ships and the systems that bring those two closer should be the major focus.

-Will there be a mechanic for stealing tames? Like if you manage to capture enemy tames or have non-allied tames on your island they would start to declaim in 1-3 days if they haven't been near the owners in close proximity. Good breed lines cost time and effort, burning them with oil jars or grenadeding from rooftops shouldn't be the end of them.

-Freeports need to have more use than a hiding hole in ship combat. Global trade system that goes between freeports, Bounties on players with rewards ranging from gold to crafted items, Gambling all kinds items with other players, Stoping points to repair (pay x amount of gold to get your ship repaired), recruitment sites... reducing the amount of freeports to bring companies in a sector closer would be something nice. The freeport grids shouldn't just disable PVP entirely, maybe 15min of PVP after joining or docking at the freeports would give the boost. Are there any plans on improving freeports in this manner? 

-Will there be any new ships, sails, structures or anything other than tames and skins? Skins shouldn't be the major icon of major updates but weekly included in weekly updates. Nothing is changing in months but the accumulation of resources, constant issues, and decreasing players. Push more things into the PTR and bring back the voting system to those who have helped test, which they would have to test. No one is gonna download 10gb for a ptr, just have a large group players vote for a singular relayer to the devs. Much easier if current players bring on ideas than those who lost it against the bugs of the game.

What do you all perceive to be the ideal atlas experience? The game seems to lack a clear direction.

What do you all intend to do if anything to shift game play to be more boat focused? They only way to accomplish anything in PvP currently is destroying people's islands.

Housing any kind of boat safely, even given peace timers, requires mega bases that the majority of player groups can not dedicate the time to build and maintain. What are solutions to this problem you all have considered, and what is the ideal scenario you all would like to see?

How specifically do you all intend to rework the blueprint system to not put players without a mythic galleon at a MASSIVE disadvantage? At current, a common boat can't even hold enough cannonballs to sink a mythic boat, and it takes a group of 5 or more to have a chance at sinking a mythic boat.

At the moment you can keep a galleon with half its planks missing afloat with only 4 people bucketing, What steps are you all taking to address this (maybe remove bucketing in to camp fires...)?

Server performance has managed to seemingly decline even given the low player population, assumably due to mega bases. Is optimizing the game's current system to run better the best way forward, or are you all looking in to more wholistic changes?

There is currently no reason for players to repeat any of the world bosses other than to help others. Is this the intended game play experience?

How do you all think on boarding of new players should be handled? At the moment new players either join an existing company to teach them how to play, or they sit around on a beach and never experience most of the game's content. should it be the job of existing companies to onboard new players, or should their be more resources given to new players to teach them how to play?

• Like 4

Hello,

Would it be possible to create caves and players to dig in the ground to hide objects or to create a small hidden base, which would avoid the total wipe especially for small groups and solo ?

Is it possible to make the constructions more solid and the defenses more robust. This would allow for smaller, more aesthetic bases and fluidity in the game. In addition, it would rebalance the grounded pvp, which is currently largely in favor of assailants if they have a high level of gravity and grenades. cannon bear available ?

The game is great but it needs rebalancing

Thanks

Edited by chukmaurice

Some great questions thus far, guys. Thank you~ 

Hello, I have 4 suggestions,

1.Could you have the bottles have messages in them from shipwrecked pirates that need rescuing? Maybe join our crew for free as payment?

2. Could we have proper stern lanterns please? makeshift ones don't look that great.

3. The Hydra island freeport in blackwood has some lovely oriental style buildings, Could we have the style to build with?

4. Could we have the bowsprit as part of the ship build? as it's not actually a figurehead it's the mast that's above it, and you can't put another figurehead underneath. 

Many thx. ps the hydra island in blackwood is stunning btw.

My biggest question: What does a Mythical Large Shipyard actually do, besides  having higher durability on the structure itself? What are the mechanics & benefits of having one?

Is a server option possibly in the works to make a PVP/PVE hybrid?  I hate to bring up another game but, Conan Exiles has one that allows PVP against players for a set amount of hours, while keeping one's base secure from being destroyed by other players.  That doesn't mean that their base cannot take damage from animals, bosses, etc.  I do think that this type of "conflict" server, would cater to those that do want to PVP but do not want to see everything destroyed offline.  

Ship PVP could certainly be an option during this time period as well or, ship PVP/Player PVP could be an option all the time.

I do think this would entice more players to play PVP that cannot be online all the time nor, have a desire to play in a larger company.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I have seen some very good suggestions for changes and additions to the game that i would love to see discussed more deeply at some time. But to be honest right now, as much as i would like there to be one magic new skill system, or a way to limit the power that mega clans have that would fix the game and bring back old players and excite some new ones, i believe there is a bigger elephant in the room. No matter what gets added or changed there is no getting around the massive amount of almost game breaking bugs that have been around since day one that none of the devs seem to think is important. How can we ever trust a company to implement what the people want when they cant even get ladders to work properly, something everyone in the game has had to deal with since the game opened. Loading inside of walls, waking up dead in the middle of the ocean because you logged out on a boat and got pulled off at a load line. Hell how do you think that you could ever put a game onto the XBOX when having more then 30 people and 4 ships in render distance turns the game into a lag fest for most, even very strong PCs that is just about unplayable.

Id say while i have a hundred questions i want to know the answer to, but not a single one of those matters until you answer the question, WILL YOU FIX THE BASE GAME AND GET RID OF THE LONG TERM BUGS AS A PRIORITY???????

- Do you plan adding a new ship between Brig and Galleon?

- Do you plan to add recurring end-game content since the current bosses are one-time events?

- Do you plan to tie player shops with the local bank and as well - implement a global trade system?

- Have you considered some form of "sanctuary" type of building or item that will allow safely storing a limited amount of items (not resources) and thus preventing smaller companies leave PvP and the game in general once they have been raided/wiped? 

- Do you plan reworking the current loot generation algorithm to ensure the lack of ridiculous items e.g. 100% damage Mythical cannons by adding minimal values for each stat per colour? 

Most have already asked the main big questions, I just have 3 Questions, 1. Can you PLEASE increase ship reverse speed from .3kt to at least 1kt??  2. Can you give anchoring more leeway, as real ships don't anchor practically on shore like you have to do on some islands. 3. Can you increase the structure limit on the Galleon I feel its ridiculously low for a ship of its size!! Thanks!!

Edited by Kelivath
Added on another question

Will trade ships be useful again? All their items are available at the freeports now. I understand they were a bit of a pain to find but now they're just useless. (I suggest when if/when they are useful, we could have markers on the atlas pointing them out similar to our own ships to fix that problem, they could even be in regions that tend to be less popular *cough* desert and cold areas *cough*)

Will lighthouses ever have a use besides just being a player-made landmark? The old theory went was that they attracted tradeships. And even if it is true, everyone and their mother has a lighthouse making that ineffective.

Is fixing the pve gold tax going to happen soon? 

I also would looooove to know the actual chances on mutations in breeding. That's just a tiny bit of knowledge that would improve qol. I'd guess it to be about 5%. Maybe 2.5% for each parent? I've gotten double mutation on an offspring a few times. Once in the same stat. So I don't think it is x% chance per stat. I get my hp mutation stack once in about 200 or so eggs with my crows. I just hit 20 hp muts a couple days ago. I haven't tried to breed beyond 20 to see about a crop in chance or not (since other breeders have said they get muts with one parent well beyond 20)

Oh a new lead designer! Welcome to the party 🙂

So the game will move now in a direction to become the best pirate experience. It would be very interesting to know if there has also been a decision on the game mechanic for the official servers?
Atlas is stuck between two game mechanics that are the exact opposite. One being a giant death match aiming on short lived matches with balance in mind without loss and progression. The other being a true mmo with a massiv progression system aiming for longevity and a massive amount of content to keep players playing and advancing for a very long time in a living persistent world. Rather having the pvp component as an optional endgame content like seen in other mmos where wiping and griefing has been limited to allow players to progress in the game and build a playerbase with a healthy drop-in/drop-out ratio.

Edited by Linea

When are we getting new ships and proper sails? When will we get more variety in buildings - ie different pillar positions - wall styles - window styles etc

13 hours ago, Cantore said:

My biggest question: What does a Mythical Large Shipyard actually do, besides  having higher durability on the structure itself? What are the mechanics & benefits of having one?

They increase the maximum level a ship can reach. 225% Durability is the magic number - This is when your ships can reach level 52 (the levelcap).