gregopeck

Make Single Player Easier for a Single Player, Please

I'm back playing Atlas again, since Single Player mode was released. Thank you! However, could you please modify it so that it's easier for a single player to actually do? In game, right now, I see four Ships of the Damned. I'm in a raft. Even if I had the biggest ship, I don't think I could take care on all four of them at the same time. On an official server, this could be done more easily with multiple real people playing and even with multiple ships, I get that. However, I can't possibly imagine trying to do it alone. I'm not sure how easy it would be with a full NPC crew and cannons, but I can't imagine that it would be anywhere near "easy" enough.

I would also like to see Treasure Maps modified similarly so that a single player could take out the Damned instead of getting overwhelmed with a huge group of them, as I did when I went to a "Fine" Treasure spot.

Thank you for reading my "feedback!" I am really glad you added Single Player mode, I just hope it could be adjusted to make it more easier and realistic for a single player to do. (I wish Ark would do this as well, instead of making boss fights pretty much impossible to do alone without "cheats.")

treasure maps are optimized to be done with aoe swiping bears as they rise out of the ground.    devs could care less if you want a realistic swashbuckling fight.  They attempted to get ARK players to switch to Atlas by making this a taming game, did not work since Ark put out a new map.

The damned really will not aggro your raft unless you harass them, their AI aggro increases with the size of your ship.   However it is single player so you can mod that if you want. 

Back up you changes for when the server updates

find ServerGrid.json in your steam folder

in each grid just before this line

"sublevels": [

add these lines...

"ServerCustomDatas1": "NPCShipDifficultyMult,NPCShipDifficultyLerp,NPCShipNumMult,FloatsamQualityMultiplier",
      "ServerCustomDatas2": "0.25,4.0,0.3,0.35",

What that does is makes the damned the inverse of what they are in the powerstone grids.    Less difficult, less aggro, less numerous and less rewarding flotsam (optional you could increase flotsam if you want)

Edited by krazmuze

On 8/8/2019 at 11:35 AM, krazmuze said:

treasure maps are optimized to be done with aoe swiping bears as they rise out of the ground.    devs could care less if you want a realistic swashbuckling fight.  They attempted to get ARK players to switch to Atlas by making this a taming game, did not work since Ark put out a new map.

The damned really will not aggro your raft unless you harass them, their AI aggro increases with the size of your ship.   However it is single player so you can mod that if you want. 

add these lines...

"ServerCustomDatas1": "NPCShipDifficultyMult,NPCShipDifficultyLerp,NPCShipNumMult,FloatsamQualityMultiplier",

What that does is makes the damned the inverse of what they are in the powerstone grids.    Less difficult, less aggro, less numerous and less rewarding flotsam (optional you could increase flotsam if you want)

Thanks for the tips!

On 8/9/2019 at 1:35 AM, krazmuze said:

add these lines...

Thank you so much I HATE these things they aren't fun or challenging now they're just a road block that makes me spend ages sailing (usually against the wind) around them on my way from island A to island B. As I'm not familiar with editing json files could you tell me if this is what I should have after I made your changes?

"ClientCustomDatas2": ",-1,0.015,",
"ServerCustomDatas1":"NPCShipDifficultyMult,NPCShipDifficultyLerp,NPCShipNumMult,FloatsamQualityMultiplier",

Also if I change NPCShipNumMult from 0.3 to 0 would that get rid of them entirely, if so would it also affect merchant ships please?

I don't think I've ever edited a .json file, so this was my first attempt at trying, AFIK. However, it seems there are way too many "sublevels" that was mentioned. It looks kind of too complicated and way too much work. I wish SOTD would only spawn in single ships, at least for a while, in single player mode. However, I've seen another similar post and it seems that SOTD have been nerfed and can be solo'd even when they're a fleet. I haven't yet gotten any crew members or built a bigger ship yet, so right now they're extremely intimidating. I built my first sloop, which sucked, I had to go from steering to adjusting the sail back and forth. This proved to me that I needed a crew member for help. I also didn't have any weapons on that ship. I deleted that save though and started fresh. I haven't made it to that point yet. Luckily, I've found lots of gold on my island hopping, so I could probably afford some crew, just have to find them.

As i understand it the values when moved out of game script mean . . .

multiplier for NCP ship difficulty = 1/4 or 0.25 so if normal difficulty is 100 they're now 25.

Don't know what the second one is but going by context I'd guess its agro range.

multiplier for how many there are = 0.3 or about a third so if there were 3 before now there should be one (though I think its 1 flotilla not 1 ship).

multiplier for how good the flotsam is = again about a third.

THough I'm not sure how these changes are actually reflected in game.

I have heard and seen the same (flying over to kill them lets me see levels). Still I'm not interested in trying to take out 12 ships of the damned (I've seen way too many flotilla's next ot each other so theres' not 3 or 4 but 8 or 12 saililng there). Especially since right now I'm in an unarmed schooner when I get to the point of having a brig/galleon I'll test fighting against them but I don't like the feel this is balanced for late game players and hurst enjoyability for mid game ones. I've built a schooner but I spend far too long saililng around the huge numbers of ships of the damned. In solo they really should be single ships or far less common so you don't see 4 or 5 flotilla's just sailling between islands on a single grid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Senkoau said:

Also if I change NPCShipNumMult from 0.3 to 0 would that get rid of them entirely, if so would it also affect merchant ships please?

Yep (on a freshly wiped server) and nope the merchant ships are done elsewhere as they are on a defined path.

Yes there are lots of copy  paste to do this on the official map - you could also download the island editor tool and do it more graphically but I think that ends up being even more work.

Another way to go is just get a mod for speed sails and fly right past them.   But that makes it harder to engage them when you do want to fight.   You have to fight them if you want more than just freeport sailors manning your ships and better blueprints for your ship.

Caveat I did this for our unofficial dedicated server, but I would presume SP works the same.

Edited by krazmuze