Sign in to follow this  
Dawg711

Behavior......

Does the forum have issues with bahavior like the discord? Below is on statement of many of not only disregard for rules but attacking a parent that cares enough to say something. Meanwhile this Bunny moderator(who before I realized there was a color code did not seem to be a moderator) sits there and disregards use of language such as words like FUCK. Guess it is okay to use the word here if Discord allows for it?

MrJoeBarbarianToday at 8:01 AM

@TiggerToo Regards to 1.1 You didn't treat the bunny (a mod) with respect. You called them out openly instead of going the right route to report your insecurities. 1.2 the word FUCK is not Harassment, abuse, hate speech or any kind of discriminatory speed. However your personal attack on bunny was. 1.8. You are telling people here you will get them banned and telling them to follow the rules. You are either the dumbest parent to have ever posted here or you are a failed attempt at a troll.

This thread is not about the moderator. This thread is about the behavior of people and how our children should not have to be exposed to over use of such language. Then to have my parental skills attacked because this kid does not agree. My husband passed this off to me as he headed out the door to work. He has 9am court and lawyers can not be late.

Before moderators take action on this yes it is my kids account. I am not going through the headache of creating one. Devloper/Community Manager needs to be aware of some things though. I do not think they want this on Facebook and Twitter where more concerned parents may see it and wonder. Seems this game already is unpopular.

Edited by Dawg711

MrJoeBarbarianToday at 8:12 AM

@Sovreign This is why you wear a kilt, no zipper .. no noise

Easier to get to the sheep that way

0f323432a1de4b348df376cf327ec1cb.webp?si

DangerDanToday at 8:12 AM

The silent stroker?

It goes on and on. This nis what kids that participate in this community have to see and read? This is acceptable behavior?

9 minutes ago, Dawg711 said:

Easier to get to the sheep that way

0f323432a1de4b348df376cf327ec1cb.webp?si

DangerDanToday at 8:12 AM

The silent stroker?

It goes on and on. This nis what kids that participate in this community have to see and read? This is acceptable behavior?

Ma’am with all due respect you should be aware that your son’s participation on this forum has been less than exemplary. If you examine his posting history you will find that he has often been the aggressor in initiating hostile and toxic exchanges.  

Furthermore the game is based in pirate themes and includes content that deals with mature topics like harsh imprisonment and even execution of prisoners through beheading. It is incumbent upon you as a parent to monitor and regulate what games and forums your child participates in, and if you are going to allow his participation on forums for games with such adult oriented content, you should be prepared for the fact that not all adults will choose to self moderate their language in deference to what your child may read. That is neither their responsibility nor the moderator’s, it is yours.

Consider yourself notified that not all gaming forums are child appropriate.

26 minutes ago, Dawg711 said:

Easier to get to the sheep that way.

that is some funny stuff right there,! 

12 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Ma’am with all due respect you should be aware that your son’s participation on this forum has been less than exemplary. If you examine his posting history you will find that he has often been the aggressor in initiating hostile and toxic exchanges.  

Furthermore the game is based in pirate themes and includes content that deals with mature topics like harsh imprisonment and even execution of prisoners through beheading. It is incumbent upon you as a parent to monitor and regulate what games and forums your child participates in, and if you are going to allow his participation on forums for games with such adult oriented content, you should be prepared for the fact that not all adults will choose to self moderate their language in deference to what your child may read. That is neither their responsibility nor the moderator’s, it is yours.

Consider yourself notified that not all gaming forums are child appropriate.

So are you representing this company with your post? You a so called moderator around here? I am well aware of my son and his behavior and that is why he is not allowed to post here again. If you are a moderator then I suggest you have someone look into this topic. If you are not a moderator then I would refrain from pretending to know me or my family. Clearly you are not a parent or you would understand better. When you see vulgar language being used over and over with a moderator involved with the conversation that just feels wrong. I do not think that is how this company wishes to be represented. If it is then parents around the world need to know. Sure kids are going to hear the language but that does not mean it should go on and on. Does not mean that a parent should be attacked (which is against the very rules these people set) because they care. Too many parents ignore what their kids are doing until law enforcement gets involved. Very hard to teach a child anything when the so called more mature people out there act like children.

This being a pirate game has nothing to do with the choice of words at all. If that is the case then Racial and Sexist language would be permitted as well huh? Clearly that is not the case because I am sure if I use the right words someone will report me and this account would be banned.

8 minutes ago, 987962 said:

that is some funny stuff right there,! 

Take your immature self back over to Discord where the smart crowd hangs.

Assuming this isn't a troll thread, this forum is not part of Discord so you're wasting your time complaining here.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dawg711 said:

So are you representing this company with your post? You a so called moderator around here? I am well aware of my son and his behavior and that is why he is not allowed to post here again. If you are a moderator then I suggest you have someone look into this topic. If you are not a moderator then I would refrain from pretending to know me or my family. Clearly you are not a parent or you would understand better. When you see vulgar language being used over and over with a moderator involved with the conversation that just feels wrong. I do not think that is how this company wishes to be represented. If it is then parents around the world need to know. Sure kids are going to hear the language but that does not mean it should go on and on. Does not mean that a parent should be attacked (which is against the very rules these people set) because they care. Too many parents ignore what their kids are doing until law enforcement gets involved. Very hard to teach a child anything when the so called more mature people out there act like children.

This being a pirate game has nothing to do with the choice of words at all. If that is the case then Racial and Sexist language would be permitted as well huh? Clearly that is not the case because I am sure if I use the right words someone will report me and this account would be banned.

I am not a moderator but you have created a thread in a public forum, you did not file a support ticket. Filing a support ticket is how you communicate directly with the company and it’s staff. Creating a thread allows and invites comment from anyone so inclined. You have offered your views, I have offered my own in contrast. Do not presume to tell me my views do not belong here just because you do not care for them.

Do you agree that it is a parent’s job to supervise their children and not the world at large’s job to preemptively conduct themselves at all times as if your child might be present? I agree that many so called adults act like children on gaming forums, 15 years experience has made that abundantly clear. However, my pointing out the game’s adult themes IS relevant because it defines the difference between whether you should reasonably expect adult language to be heavily moderated or not. Racist or sexist language belongs nowhere because it is generally offensive to all, but adults making adult jokes for their own amusement on forums for a game with explicitly adult themes is qualitatively different.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I am not a moderator but you have created a thread in a public forum, you did not file a support ticket. Filing a support ticket is how you communicate directly with the company and it’s staff. Creating a thread allows and invites comment from anyone so inclined. You have offered your views, I have offered my own in contrast. Do not presume to tell me my views do not belong here just because you do not care for them.

Do you agree that it is a parent’s job to supervise their children and not the world at large’s job to preemptively conduct themselves at all times as if your child might be present? I agree that many so called adults act like children on gaming forums, 15 years experience has made that abundantly clear. However, my pointing out the game’s adult themes IS relevant because it defines the difference between whether you should reasonably expect adult language to be heavily moderated or not. Racist or sexist language belongs nowhere because it is generally offensive to all, but adults making adult jokes for their own amusement on forums for a game with explicitly adult themes is qualitatively different.

First off you do not know what steps I have taken. Secondly I am aware of what I am doing. See companies do not take one person seriouosly but when you have a large number of people behind you then things get done. After a long conversation with the so called moderator it became clear that talking to them was pointless. This thread is about getting the attention of other parents as well as the people in charge of Grapeshot and their image in the eyes of the people that may buy their product. The court of public opinion is a powerful tool. If it is used well it can do more harm than any other weapon known to man.

35 minutes ago, Dawg711 said:

Concerned parent? Probably not.

Butthurt troll? Most likely yes.

Even if it ain't so, there is one very simple solution to the problem of your kid being exposed to vulgar language: Get the fuck outta here!

Studies show that more intelligent people are often prone to swearing more than their less intelligent fellow humans.

It also helps with stress relief.

So if you complain about the wrongdoings of your little hellspawn and attribute their bad behavior to using and being exposed to foul language, think again.

Oh, and please stop your attempts at doing harm by abusing the court of public opinion as a weapon.

Thank you.

P.S.:

Where i'm from, when your underage child walks into a strip club, you don't get to sue the owner of the strip club.

You get to go to jail for neglecting your child.

<°)))><

7 minutes ago, Dawg711 said:

First off you do not know what steps I have taken. Secondly I am aware of what I am doing. See companies do not take one person seriouosly but when you have a large number of people behind you then things get done. After a long conversation with the so called moderator it became clear that talking to them was pointless. This thread is about getting the attention of other parents as well as the people in charge of Grapeshot and their image in the eyes of the people that may buy their product. The court of public opinion is a powerful tool. If it is used well it can do more harm than any other weapon known to man.

Okay so you are now in the court of public opinion and presenting your views. Your views are being challenged on fair grounds. I am not making ad hominem attacks but disagreeing on a reasoned basis. Your wishes as a parent are that Grapeshot should more heavily regulate its forums as to the language used.  As a practical matter I can tell you that based on experience here to date they have neither the staff nor the desire to do so. As an idea that you wish to use the court of public opinion to sway them to do so I would suggest this forum represents an exceedingly poor venue for such efforts for several reasons:

1. Its reach is small. As you are aware, this game is doing poorly. It is typically a minor fraction of a game’s playerbase which monitors its forums regularly, I would estimate around 10%. Look at the numbers of views on these threads, they are small.

2. Of those that do, for the purposes of this discussion let’s divide them into those that are parents and those that are not. Those that are not are de facto not your audience: you are seeking to have their speech limited, they are likely to be hostile to your message. For those that are parents, they are either aware of the language used on these forums and have taken whatever measures they deem appropriate as parents already, or they are some small minority of parents who somehow post here without having been previously aware of the language used here until you pointed out to them....

Considering they were here before you, how many people do you think that could be?

If you wish to raise awareness and use public opinion, I agree that is a powerful tool. For the goal you’ve stated, this is an exceedingly poor vehicle.

2 minutes ago, user1 said:

Concerned parent? Probably not.

Butthurt troll? Most likely yes.

Even if it ain't so, there is one very simple solution to the problem of your kid being exposed to vulgar language: Get the fuck outta here!

Studies show that more intelligent people are often prone to swearing more than their less intelligent fellow humans.

It also helps with stress relief.

So if you complain about the wrongdoings of your little hellspawn and attribute their bad behavior to using and being exposed to foul language, think again.

Oh, and please stop your attempts at doing harm by abusing the court of public opinion as a weapon.

Thank you.

P.S.:

Where i'm from, when your underage child walks into a strip club, you don't get to sue the owner of the strip club.

You get to go to jail for neglecting your child.

<°)))><

Do not know how to respond to such ignorance. There is no abuse of public opinion. Thing is in time more parents will pick up on what is going on. This is not the only game communtiy that markets to kids but then ignores the very rules they set because it is easiest to do. This thread gives the inhouse parents an awareness of things. It will serve to let the PR people for this company know what is coming. If this thread fails to resolve some basic issues then I will move on to where more mature adults/parents will see things. Twitter seems to be popular for this company. It is one thing to allow toxic behavior on their servers as that is harder to monitor. When you have a concerned active parent pleading for some moderation and nothing becomes of it, then something needs to be fixed.

This will not the first developer to have to deal with this. If parents started to crack down and not allow their kids to buy these games, companies like this will no longer exist. That is a clear fact.

Thank you all for your participation. Those of you that add something nice to see others that feel as I do. Those with your toxic or pointless opinions, sorry but you are either not a parent or clearly aim to raise your kid differently. I do not know what studies you speak of that show people that do not know how to speak in public correctly are smarter than others? In this country if you use such language in a court room expect the judge to hit you with fines or jail. called respect. Something I am attempting to teach my kids. Something that sometimes you show a lack of to a community trying to call out and get rid of the bad apples.

8 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Okay so you are now in the court of public opinion and presenting your views. Your views are being challenged on fair grounds. I am not making ad hominem attacks but disagreeing on a reasoned basis. Your wishes as a parent are that Grapeshot should more heavily regulate its forums as to the language used.  As a practical matter I can tell you that based on experience here to date they have neither the staff nor the desire to do so. As an idea that you wish to use the court of public opinion to sway them to do so I would suggest this forum represents an exceedingly poor venue for such efforts for several reasons:

1. Its reach is small. As you are aware, this game is doing poorly. It is typically a minor fraction of a game’s playerbase which monitors its forums regularly, I would estimate around 10%. Look at the numbers of views on these threads, they are small.

2. Of those that do, for the purposes of this discussion let’s divide them into those that are parents and those that are not. Those that are not are de facto not your audience: you are seeking to have their speech limited, they are likely to be hostile to your message. For those that are parents, they are either aware of the language used on these forums and have taken whatever measures they deem appropriate as parents already, or they are some small minority of parents who somehow post here without having been previously aware of the language used here until you pointed out to them....

Considering they were here before you, how many people do you think that could be?

If you wish to raise awareness and use public opinion, I agree that is a powerful tool. For the goal you’ve stated, this is an exceedingly poor vehicle.

Well aware of where I am starting things and how many will see this. Most important people to see this I am sure will see it. Then they will see the tags they got on discord alerting them to the behavior in question. At that time those people will likely deal with the situation. It is called respecting the company to make them aware of things before you go big. Keeping it in house means they can deal with the situation and acknowledge the issue and take steps to prevent it or minimize it. Sure you are not going to clean up the language 100% but people need to learn how not to behave and keep in mind others use public forums as well. Also they have the rules in place to prohibit the behavior. They need to know that things are not being done to keep people in compliance with those rules.

Sometimes you do not need a hammer when a pen will do twice as much.

5 minutes ago, Dawg711 said:

Do not know how to respond to such ignorance. There is no abuse of public opinion. Thing is in time more parents will pick up on what is going on. This is not the only game communtiy that markets to kids but then ignores the very rules they set because it is easiest to do. This thread gives the inhouse parents an awareness of things. It will serve to let the PR people for this company know what is coming. If this thread fails to resolve some basic issues then I will move on to where more mature adults/parents will see things. Twitter seems to be popular for this company. It is one thing to allow toxic behavior on their servers as that is harder to monitor. When you have a concerned active parent pleading for some moderation and nothing becomes of it, then something needs to be fixed.

This will not the first developer to have to deal with this. If parents started to crack down and not allow their kids to buy these games, companies like this will no longer exist. That is a clear fact.

Thank you all for your participation. Those of you that add something nice to see others that feel as I do. Those with your toxic or pointless opinions, sorry but you are either not a parent or clearly aim to raise your kid differently. I do not know what studies you speak of that show people that do not know how to speak in public correctly are smarter than others? In this country if you use such language in a court room expect the judge to hit you with fines or jail. called respect. Something I am attempting to teach my kids. Something that sometimes you show a lack of to a community trying to call out and get rid of the bad apples.

I would suggest that as a parent, you might consider being far more concerned with how major publishers of games such as Electronic Arts are using loot box mechanisms as a form of unregulated gambling to potentially ensnare and addict your child into irresponsibly gambling with real money. This problem is accute enough that multiple governments are considering legislation to regulate it.

If I were in your shoes this would be of far greater concern to me as a parent than the foul language on the forum of a failing game that isn’t designed for children in the first place. And before you tell me it’s none of my business, remember that you came here and started the conversation, not me. 

Could be a good promo for the game:

"Atlas - the game your parents should not let you play!"

It would be like any other prohibition, good for business, YARR !

6 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I would suggest that as a parent, you might consider being far more concerned with how major publishers of games such as Electronic Arts are using loot box mechanisms as a form of unregulated gambling to potentially ensnare and addict your child into irresponsibly gambling with real money. This problem is accute enough that multiple governments are considering legislation to regulate it.

If I were in your shoes this would be of far greater concern to me as a parent than the foul language on the forum of a failing game that isn’t designed for children in the first place. And before you tell me it’s none of my business, remember that you came here and started the conversation, not me. 

How do you know I am not concerned with these loot boxes?

First off if parents do not give the kids the money for such foolish things then it all goes away. Though you see it as gambling I see it also as teaching the kid the value of a buck. They can spend all their money on that loot box for one game or save and get a whole new game. As a parent you pick your battles and win some without the kids knowing you won. My parents would be  rolling in their graves if they were reading some of the crap people thinks is appropriate and respectful behavior in public. Was a time you did not even use that language in the presences of a lady. Though at one time more parents would be involved in something like this. Though it has only been here for what hour or two?

Thank you to everyone helping me to keep it on top so more see it. Remember just because people to not say anything does not mean they are not hearing/reading.

I don’t. I’m just saying if you’re not aware, as an obviously concerned and involved parent, I’m guessing you’d want to be.

I also agree that norms are changing. The social pressure and feedback that kept people’s behavior from being less refined in public is all but nonexistent on the internet. I think this presents challenges for parents. Gaming companies as businesses are always going to respond to whatever they perceive as the greatest market pressure. They want their forums to be free of toxicity but to the extent their customer base is adult and not minors, they are going to be loathe to risk driving those customers away by heavily regulating their speech because they are aware they have deeper pockets than your kid.

Even though kids play a lot of online games, it is the duty of the parent to decide its suitability. I once saw a 9 year old child with gta 5, and I told his gran it was an 18 for good reason, she said it was the one he wanted so she bought it for him! So are the game manufacturers at fault? If a parent or guardian doesn't keep a check on what their child is playing,or the forums they are on, then that is the fault of the parent, and i'm speaking as a parent ima.

Any one follows 5bravo? They get pms like this person... half the time i swear they are trolls because its always funny to read and they almost always a shirt with something the troll says. #guck

34 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

Even though kids play a lot of online games, it is the duty of the parent to decide its suitability. I once saw a 9 year old child with gta 5, and I told his gran it was an 18 for good reason, she said it was the one he wanted so she bought it for him! So are the game manufacturers at fault? If a parent or guardian doesn't keep a check on what their child is playing,or the forums they are on, then that is the fault of the parent, and i'm speaking as a parent ima.

A good friend of mine once throw a quote at me over and over. I really think it applies here.

"Inorder for Evil to Conquer, Good Men should do NOTHING"

There are many parents that shower kids with anything they want rather than using NO. That is a shame but I can not effect what other parents do. Many of my friends share my opinion. Just because we allow our kids to play video games does not mean they should be subject to such immature behavior. If we all stick our head in the sand and do nothing then what do we leave the kids? At what point do you take your head out of the sand? Will it be too late by then? I have always had more of an old school way of thinking. I grew up with values and taught to respect all adults equally. If i was out playing and the neighbor told me to stop doing something I did not use foul language and tell him off. I did as he asked because he is an adult and usually they know better. Today we teach kids run and tell if they get picked on. Show no respect to anyone. Do as you want because in the end what can your parents do to you? Well my kids know that if they do wrong I will handle it. No one will get to interfer in that. So therefore my kids RESPECT me. Sure they get out of line but I am there to snap them back really hard. This is why you do not see my son posting much. Last time I snapped him back he felt that for some time. See his Xbox One with all 100 games were given to a local shelter. He was made to sit there and teach the kids how to hook it up and play the games. Then we left.

3 hours ago, Dawg711 said:

Does the forum have issues with bahavior like the discord? Below is on statement of many of not only disregard for rules but attacking a parent that cares enough to say something. Meanwhile this Bunny moderator(who before I realized there was a color code did not seem to be a moderator) sits there and disregards use of language such as words like FUCK. Guess it is okay to use the word here if Discord allows for it? 

MrJoeBarbarianToday at 8:01 AM

@TiggerToo Regards to 1.1 You didn't treat the bunny (a mod) with respect. You called them out openly instead of going the right route to report your insecurities. 1.2 the word FUCK is not Harassment, abuse, hate speech or any kind of discriminatory speed. However your personal attack on bunny was. 1.8. You are telling people here you will get them banned and telling them to follow the rules. You are either the dumbest parent to have ever posted here or you are a failed attempt at a troll.

This thread is not about the moderator. This thread is about the behavior of people and how our children should not have to be exposed to over use of such language. Then to have my parental skills attacked because this kid does not agree. My husband passed this off to me as he headed out the door to work. He has 9am court and lawyers can not be late.

Before moderators take action on this yes it is my kids account. I am not going through the headache of creating one. Devloper/Community Manager needs to be aware of some things though. I do not think they want this on Facebook and Twitter where more concerned parents may see it and wonder. Seems this game already is unpopular.

no surprise here i got perma banned from the discord server for saying "Dick" funny enough after getting banned a friend of mine searched for the word dick in the atlas discord only to find more than 2 000 mentions of it, at that moment i realised it wasnt about the word i said, rather about the fact that the person i said such a word to and the moderator where friends, that was the last straw for me and i proceeded to uninstall the game and move on.

Edited by The D Legacy

4 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

no surprise here i got perma banned from the discord server for saying "Dick" funny enough after getting banned a friend of mine searched for the word dick in the atlas discord only to find more than 2 000 mentions of it, at that moment i realised it wasnt about the word i said, rather about the fact that the person i said such a word to and the moderator where friends, that was the last straw for me and i proceeded to uninstall the game and move on.

Yeah and sadly I think that is the issue I saw this morning is the mod and his buddies having a laugh and not caring. After all if you know those in charge take no action against you then you do what you want right?

They did not expect to upset to active parents. Husband had to get to court but I promise he is not done with this either. We take parenting serious and try to teach our kids. Eventually this moderator and his buddies will learn this. Feel free to stick around and add to this conversation. This is how you effect change. Considering Dick also happens to be a NAME banning for use of the word alone should not be allowed. Dick Van Dyke show was very popular back when kids still had respect for adults.

There's no need for all these comments on this topic.  There's a code of conduct for the game and for the communications networks.  If anyone would like to know what the standards are, they're here:

https://www.playatlas.com/index.php?/code-of-conduct/

If someone is violating the code of conduct, report it.  If you don't get a satisfactory response, yell about that if you like.  If Grapeshot is not enforcing their code of conduct, make a stink about that.  All that is perfectly ok.

But it's useless to debate here over what kind of conduct there should be, because it's already spelled out.  A parent should read the code of conduct before letting their kid play a game, however after reading this one, many parents might decide this game is ok for their kids.  A lot of what some of you are deeming acceptable conduct isn't acceptable according to Grapeshot.

I suspect that it is going to be costly to set up some sort of "Gestapo" to monitor and regulate speech which is why there is such a push back against any sort social engineering in a public setting.  The easiest solution is to vote with your wallet and drive on.   

This forum is not associated with the Discord, and is supposed to be about the game; bug reports, suggestions, criticisms(constructive or otherwise), trading, helping players with in game issues (how to and such), etc.

As such, I am locking this thread and have brought it to the attention of the Community Managers.  

@Winter Thorne has pointed out the Code of Conduct.   Additionally, for in game related issues, such as violations of the Code of Conduct, a user can open a Support Ticket:  https://www.playatlas.com/index.php?/support-tickets/

Finally, for the forum, there is an Articles of Agreement: