Sign in to follow this  
rasemaier

Best PvP Brig design

What is currently the best Brig design for PvP battles?

Big cannons or small ones?
Cannons on deck or below?

What should I level? Damage, resistance,...?

Edited by rasemaier

An armored brig like the above post is good for defence, it will be too heavy to catch anything to sink it. 

Large cannons have further range so, they are the safest way to inflict damage on the enemy ship. 

Ship cannons have the highest damage per second so they are the best for getting in close and going  for the sink. 

There is no best ship. It's all just a balance of the way its leveled and what it has to fight. 

Brigs have the best ratio to gain speed from leveling additional weight. 

So weight=faster

Resistance= take more punishment

And damage= harder hitting brig. 

If you can get shots in where you dont have to take shots, damage is best. If you cant catch them, weight is best, and if you cant outrun them, resist is best. 

You can always put points in all three for an all round decent brig. 

• Like 1

Yup pretty much what Mike L said.  All depends on what you want to do.  I've not seen one size fits all brig.  I drive a balanced brig setup which is as close as you can get to one size fits all, but there are things I still cannot do.  More resist than damage, but it can put out the hurt.  I keep the weight low so it can catch heavy ships and keep distance with lighter ones.  Only super light ships or ships with high end handling sails can catch me.  If those kinds of ships can sink me I don't engage them to begin with.  Know your ship.   Know their ship by spy glassing its planks, sails, and cannons if possible as soon as possible so you can size the situation up.  Know where your help is and their help if there is any.  Know where the nearest freeport or friendly harbour if you need to make a run for it.    Also look for ballistas as those ships tend to run light and have high resist to chase someone down and handle the pounding that accompanies it when you harpoon them.  Typically these are on Galleons and some brigs. 

Edited by DocHolliday