PeglegTheAngry

Why are we talking abount consoles already?

5 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

how about the fact that we are supposed to be pirates? not fucking slaves working our asses off to pay taxes for the higher ups to get richer, it goes absolutely against the essence of being a pirate.

Then be a pirate and take my land away. I mean pirates had caves and hideouts. You don't think they shared caves and such with just anyone do you?

33 minutes ago, crazywildfire said:

Then be a pirate and take my land away. I mean pirates had caves and hideouts. You don't think they shared caves and such with just anyone do you? 

a pirates life was made on the sea, not under a feudal lord and neither stealing land from someone, because land either belonged to stablished empires, or was deserted, if anything they would pillage not well defended settlements, those settlements were not owned by other pirates, pirates didnt want settlements, they wanted freedom and used hideouts. the game in its current state forces players to call themselfs pirates while acting like part of a feudal system, wich is factually contradictory and makes no sense in my opinion.

Edited by The D Legacy
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

a pirates life was made on the sea, not under a feudal lord and neither stealing land from someone, because land either belonged to stablished empires, or was deserted, if anything they would pillage not well defended settlements, those settlements were not owned by other pirates, pirates didnt want settlements, they wanted freedom and used hideouts. the game in its current state forces players to call themselfs pirates while acting like part of a feudal system, wich is factually contradictory and makes no sense in my opinion.

Please explain to me why it doesn't make sense? It is a game it can only do so much not everything can be 100% real life stuff. So to balance some of the things that the game can't do they have to add this or that. Think of the base you build being part of your hideout/cave. Not everyone and their brother was a pirate either but on the game everyone is a pirate. I mean so much more the point is it is a game not real life. So please being a game what does not make sense about it?

Edit: I mean because everyone is a pirate you don't have settlements or the navy/British army whatever it was called. Being a pirate if you had your hideout/cave/island to store your treasure or whatever you really think if it was another set of pirates they wouldn't fight for that spot/location? I mean if a settlement or something came along they would pick up and move. But other pirates they not just goin to say oh here have this for free. Smh

Edited by crazywildfire

30 minutes ago, crazywildfire said:

Please explain to me why it doesn't make sense? It is a game it can only do so much not everything can be 100% real life stuff. So to balance some of the things that the game can't do they have to add this or that. Think of the base you build being part of your hideout/cave. Not everyone and their brother was a pirate either but on the game everyone is a pirate. I mean so much more the point is it is a game not real life. So please being a game what does not make sense about it?

Edit: I mean because everyone is a pirate you don't have settlements or the navy/British army whatever it was called. Being a pirate if you had your hideout/cave/island to store your treasure or whatever you really think if it was another set of pirates they wouldn't fight for that spot/location? I mean if a settlement or something came along they would pick up and move. But other pirates they not just goin to say oh here have this for free. Smh

Please explain to me why it doesn't make sense?

i already did tho

It is a game it can only do so much not everything can be 100% real life stuff.

you can make something unrealistic but coherent, there is no need to copy reality but if the features you put ingame are contradictory then i wont make sense

Not everyone and their brother was a pirate either but on the game everyone is a pirate.

exactly, not everyone wants to be a pirate, yet we are all forced to, some people just want to tame shit and sell them, some people wants to fend off attacks while others like to be the attackers, there are roles for everyone yet the game forces everyone into 1 single role

Being a pirate if you had your hideout/cave/island to store your treasure or whatever you really think if it was another set of pirates they wouldn't fight for that spot/location?

ofc they would fight over a treasure, but would they build settlements? no, would they build fortresses? nope, they couldnt stablish themselfs anywhere other than caves and hidden places cause they were being constantly hunted down, but in exchange they had the freedom of not having any obligations with anyone, i am not saying the game should replicate that to the limits but at least if they sell a pirate game it has to make sense, atlas is in fact a co-op sailing simulator with a feudal lord economy system, not a pirate game.

49 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

ofc they would fight over a treasure, but would they build settlements? no, would they build fortresses? nope, they couldnt stablish themselfs anywhere other than caves and hidden places cause they were being constantly hunted down, but in exchange they had the freedom of not having any obligations with anyone, 

This statement is based on a popular romanticized notion of pirates, but in fact there is ample historical precedent for pirate settlements, fortresses and even beyond this more sophisticated political and military operations besides just plundering merchant shipping. Familiar with the US Marine Corps Hymn? When marines sing

From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of tripoli

They are referencing when President Thomas Jefferson dispatched marines in a war against Barbary pirates based in Tripoli which had been capturing and ransoming US sailors in large scale sophisticated operations from fortified bases. You don’t put lyrics in your battle hymn that reference just seizing a harbor. 

On Tortuga Jean de Vasseur, a buccaneer who had once worked as a military engineer built Fort de Rocher, a 24 gun castle, to protect the pirate stronghold from attack.

Ladies, want a good historical female pirate name? Grace O Malley commanded over 20 vessels and in 1574 led a successful counterattack that forced government forces from Galway that had been besieging her castle into a retreat. Her operation controlled Clew Bay in Ireland and terrorized that nations coastal areas for years. Not just a swashbuckling combat leader O Malley met queen Elizabeth I in person in 1593, successfully negotiating her son’s release and return of her ships from the crown.

During the golden age of piracy Port Royal was effectively a pirate town. Look up St Mary’s island off Madagascar, New Providence and Barataria Bay, all of them were pirate settlements that lasted for years if not generations.

The point is that as with many things, the historical reality of piracy has been abridged, modified and selectively edited by popular culture in order to present a highly romanticized notion of what pirates were. Now personally I agree that Atlas should focus more on its seafaring aspects because romanticized or not, this what players are mostly looking for when they buy a game advertised as pirate fantasy themed. I just wanted to set the record straight as to historical reality vs pop culture mythology. There is a historical precedent for many of these aspects of Atlas’s gameplay, the problem is they loom larger in the player experience than they probably should, given what people tend to be expecting.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

This statement is based on a popular romanticized notion of pirates, but in fact there is ample historical precedent for pirate settlements, fortresses and even beyond this more sophisticated political and military operations besides just plundering merchant shipping. Familiar with the US Marine Corps Hymn? When marines sing

From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of tripoli

They are referencing when President Thomas Jefferson dispatched marines in a war against Barbary pirates based in Tripoli which had been capturing and ransoming US sailors in large scale sophisticated operations from fortified bases. You don’t put lyrics in your battle hymn that reference just seizing a harbor. 

On Tortuga Jean de Vasseur, a buccaneer who had once worked as a military engineer built Fort de Rocher, a 24 gun castle, to protect the pirate stronghold from attack. 

Ladies, want a good historical female pirate name? Grace O Malley commanded over 20 vessels and in 1574 led a successful counterattack that forced government forces from Galway that had been besieging her castle into a retreat. Her operation controlled Clew Bay in Ireland and terrorized that nations coastal areas for years. Not just a swashbuckling combat leader O Malley met queen Elizabeth I in person in 1593, successfully negotiating her son’s release and return of her ships from the crown.

During the golden age of piracy Port Royal was effectively a pirate town. Look up St Mary’s island off Madagascar, New Providence and Barataria Bay, all of them were pirate settlements that lasted for years if not generations.

The point is that as with many things, the historical reality of piracy has been abridged, modified and selectively edited by popular culture in order to present a highly romanticized notion of what pirates were. Now personally I agree that Atlas should focus more on its seafaring aspects because romanticized or not, this what players are mostly looking for when they buy a game advertised as pirate fantasy themed. I just wanted to set the record straight as to historical reality vs pop culture mythology. There is a historical precedent for many of these aspects of Atlas’s gameplay, the problem is they loom larger in the player experience than they probably should, given what people tend to be expecting. 

yeah i know about it, yet if we are to play a virtual game in wich most people desires that romantic side of the history of pirates, why not? right? (actually thats what the sold us) i mean if people want to have fun and they do so embracing that side of history, fine by me! hell if the game was done properly we could even have both sides of history and have even more people having fun,  i am open to mostly anything that makes sense and its fun.

Edited by The D Legacy

2 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

yeah i know about it, yet if we are to play a virtual game in wich most people desires that romantic side of the history of pirates, why not? right? (actually thats what the sold us) i mean if people want to have fun and they do so embracing that side of history, fine by me! hell if the game was done properly we could even have both sides of history and have even more people having fun,  i am open to mostly anything that makes sense.

Yeah they are monkeying around with a lot of stuff, blending traditional pirate notions with fantasy themes, which, hey I commend them for trying something out of the box. It’s just not going over well. The impression one garners from the boards since day one is that many people aren’t crazy about throwing all the fantasy stuff in with the pirate theme, and many think there is too much emphasis on land based aspects (tames, building etc). There might be legitimate design reasons to focus on the land stuff early, heck I think the game’s biggest issue right now is finding a land claim system that works and makes sense, but it’s not creating a positive impression on your playerbase.

You keep going back to a core idea that many of their design elements are illogical, like torpedoes, and I think that’s definitely one of the places where Atlas is rubbing people the wrong way. There are too many things that fly in the face of people’s expectations about this game, and I think they have the cumulative effect of turning people off.

9 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Yeah they are monkeying around with a lot of stuff, blending traditional pirate notions with fantasy themes, which, hey I commend them for trying something out of the box. It’s just not going over well. The impression one garners from the boards since day one is that many people aren’t crazy about throwing all the fantasy stuff in with the pirate theme, and many think there is too much emphasis on land based aspects (tames, building etc). There might be legitimate design reasons to focus on the land stuff early, heck I think the game’s biggest issue right now is finding a land claim system that works and makes sense, but it’s not creating a positive impression on your playerbase.

You keep going back to a core idea that many of their design elements are illogical, like torpedoes, and I think that’s definitely one of the places where Atlas is rubbing people the wrong way. There are too many things that fly in the face of people’s expectations about this game, and I think they have the cumulative effect of turning people off. 

to be honest i love the idea of torpedos, yet the fact that is fired from a boat is ...well ...lets just call it weird, what rlly kills me about ATLAS are 2 things, the decay system and the lack of a meaningfull progression. hopefully they do something about that soon because in this summer patch in BDO we are getting new boats with several cannons per side and the ability to man the cannons with NPCs just as in ATLAS, if they do it properly it could mean 1 less reason to play ATLAS (for me)

2 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

ofc they would fight over a treasure, but would they build settlements? no, would they build fortresses? nope, they couldnt stablish themselfs anywhere other than caves and hidden places cause they were being constantly hunted down, but in exchange they had the freedom of not having any obligations with anyone, i am not saying the game should replicate that to the limits but at least if they sell a pirate game it has to make sense, atlas is in fact a co-op sailing simulator with a feudal lord economy system, not a pirate game.

I was just sayin we don't have the caves and such. So in the game hideouts/caves are replaced with structures to build. Could they have added caves to do this sure they could of but being a game where everyone is sailing around it wouldn't work that great in my opinion. Sure in the real world you wouldn't have 40,000 people and thousands of thousands of ships doing what one does in the game so sure it was fine then. Just in the game not so much. Just sayin the way I look at it is the bases you build is like having that hideout/cave to store all that loot. So by being a game and doing that way of course you goin to either fight or tax if you found and took over the island first. Should one person/group have control over some of the bigger islands no I think that is bad but the smaller islands I don't see the problem. But just my opinion not saying I'm right and you are wrong. Just sayin is all.

Also to add let's say I don't want to be a pirate but still have an island. If I got to the island first and wanted to start a settlement on that island. I would be taxing as well. Nobody lives on any land for free. But with that said I do play a lot of RP so my views do tend to be different then others.

Edited by crazywildfire

14 minutes ago, crazywildfire said:

I was just sayin we don't have the caves and such. So in the game hideouts/caves are replaced with structures to build. Could they have added caves to do this sure they could of but being a game where everyone is sailing around it wouldn't work that great in my opinion. Sure in the real world you wouldn't have 40,000 people and thousands of thousands of ships doing what one does in the game so sure it was fine then. Just in the game not so much. Just sayin the way I look at it is the bases you build is like having that hideout/cave to store all that loot. So by being a game and doing that way of course you goin to either fight or tax if you found and took over the island first. Should one person/group have control over some of the bigger islands no I think that is bad but the smaller islands I don't see the problem. But just my opinion not saying I'm right and you are wrong. Just sayin is all.

Also to add let's say I don't want to be a pirate but still have an island. If I got to the island first and wanted to start a settlement on that island. I would be taxing as well. Nobody lives on any land for free. But with that said I do play a lot of RP so my views do tend to be different then others.

of course you goin to either fight or tax if you found and took over the island first

lawless is the perfect example showing that there is no need to force people to tax or own land, you could just plant a personal and unique flag with a limited space around it to be your base, and you mostly need nothing else, the rest should be about battling in the sea imo

Should one person/group have control over some of the bigger islands no I think that is bad but the smaller islands I don't see the problem. But just my opinion not saying I'm right and you are wrong. Just sayin is all.

dont worry we are just sharing opinions 😉 and yeah i totally agree that megas should not have been a thing, at least not from the beggining, most of them avoided clashing against eachother and focused on wiping smaller companies over and over specially if they refused to pay for protection

1 hour ago, The D Legacy said:

of course you goin to either fight or tax if you found and took over the island first

lawless is the perfect example showing that there is no need to force people to tax or own land, you could just plant a personal and unique flag with a limited space around it to be your base, and you mostly need nothing else, the rest should be about battling in the sea imo

Should one person/group have control over some of the bigger islands no I think that is bad but the smaller islands I don't see the problem. But just my opinion not saying I'm right and you are wrong. Just sayin is all.

dont worry we are just sharing opinions 😉 and yeah i totally agree that megas should not have been a thing, at least not from the beggining, most of them avoided clashing against eachother and focused on wiping smaller companies over and over specially if they refused to pay for protection

I didn't mind at first when you claimed just an area or so. I think it should of been limited to how many flags one person has. If you join up with someone then you double those flags and so on. I don't like that they said here now you get to claim the island. But it is what it is I guess. Like I said smaller islands isn't much of an issue in my eyes but big islands you should only get to claim so much of the island.

Not sayin that it doesn't work good if claim was completely out like on lawless. I don't know I just don't mind the different options to have I guess.

Anyway back on topic I still don't see cross play happening just based on playstation getting the game at some point and them not agreeing with Microsoft and such. I also really don't think the game is ready for console to be honest but it is what it is I guess.