Sign in to follow this  
Ameesa

How about a reset (wipe) of the official servers to update the game and fill it up a bit? Just vote here

Reset/wipe official servers?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. How about a reset/wipe paired with an advertising campaign?

• Reset all servers in about 2 months and stir the advertising drum until then properly
    • Reset all servers and merge EU and US would be my best solution
    • New PVP server that automatically resets every 3 months
    • Simply reset now
    • Never reset!
    • Resetting is not a solution, I think the number of active players will continue to decrease.
    • A wipe isn't the answer. I have another suggestion.

15 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

What’s relevant in discussing a wipe prior to crossplay in terms of freeing space isn’t how many console players there are waiting to play it, because since they aren’t already on, they won’t be wiped, and thus are a non factor to how much space is created by wiping, but how many pc players are currently on. Number of pc players= low, therefore amount of space created by wiping them= negligible. How pissed off these people will by being wiped to make room for others that didn’t go through the hell of Atlas’s earliest days=high.

Realist, think about what you’re arguing for. In effect, you are saying that legions of tourists about to visit Yosemite National Park won’t come, won’t be able to enjoy it, and will leave immediately if two dozen campers already there aren’t forced to leave first, even though those people helped make the park ready for the legions to follow. The small number of existing players screwed over by this in favor of a negligible benefit to incoming players makes no sense.

You speak of pure favoritism, but again, since there is no competitive advantage to be gained in pve, explain to me what exactly would the incoming console players legitimate gripe be if existing pve players were not wiped? We have already told you there is tons of space, favoritism how? 

The initial rush is going to be as big as pc. Back when the numbers were high everyone said there was no space. So really even though you think the amount of space is “negligible” it really isn’t.

plus I have seen the numbers on Eu pve and they aren’t nearly as low as na pve so there is a big difference there.

there is most definitely a competitive advantage to pve. The competition is resource gathering. All the best islands are already taken up and the best resource spots are already controlled. There is definitely an advantage.

1 minute ago, Realist said:

Yep. Pretty much. Numbers are very low. Console numbers will be high which means there won’t be enough room. Room needs to be made.

thank you though. Your post helped prove that crossplay is stupid to begin with. All it will do is hurt pc by the wipe(it will happen) and hurt console players because there won’t be enough room whether there is a wipe or not. 

So in that case, let’s not do crossplay so we can have our fresh servers and you guys can keep your stuff. Sounds like an awesome idea

Dude. How many times do I have to say it? The number of incoming console players is completely irrelevant to how much room will be created by a wipe. That number is about how many players are already on, and that number is low to the point that a wipe would serve no purpose but to piss those people off. You seem to be having a great deal of trouble wrapping your head around  this basic fact because you keep referencing the number of console players as the reason a wipe is needed. 

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Realist said:

The initial rush is going to be as big as pc. Back when the numbers were high everyone said there was no space. So really even though you think the amount of space is “negligible” it really isn’t.

plus I have seen the numbers on Eu pve and they aren’t nearly as low as na pve so there is a big difference there.

there is most definitely a competitive advantage to pve. The competition is resource gathering. All the best islands are already taken up and the best resource spots are already controlled. There is definitely an advantage.

The resources are there to be gathered whether players are already present or not. Resource nodes are not finite but renew therefore this argument is invalid. This would only matter if players blocked access to nodes which is extremely rare on pve and usually done inadvertently if at all. 

There is no competitive advantage to be gained in pve by being there first.

You need to understand that if I own an island I want you to come gather on my island because I get free bonus resources when you do that cost you nothing. It is completely win/win on pve.  

If there were enough pve players such that all the islands were already owned, I could see your argument carrying some weight, but this is nowhere close to being true. There is plenty of territory to be had so I think the end any argument that a pve wipe is necessary falls back to a very narrow, selfish point of view that puts one’s own personal preferences to have every last thing one could possibly want no matter what it costs someone else. This is the only position from which you can defend a pve wipe is needed argument.

So what if there are tons of console players coming?

A) you cannot assert that to be true with absolute authority, you can only say what you expect to happen.

B) Guess what? Many of the pve players you want to wipe just to make that extra tiny tiny tiny little bit of room available for the console players as well already fought through super crowded conditions to get what they have now. They have already endured one wipe. As far as I’m concerned, they’ve earned the right to keep what they have if the reason to take it away from them is just to make room for newcomers. Wipes are part of Early Access, I’m perfectly willing to deal with them. What I’m not willing to agree is needed is a wipe just so brand new console players can get exactly what they want.

They can suck it up and deal. We already have.

Do not speak to me of what console players will and won’t put up with. I’m telling you what I will and won’t put up with, and it’s this nonsense notion that I must make way for some entitled brats who will pitch a fit if anyone else is there first.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

The resources are there to be gathered whether players are already present or not. Resource nodes are not finite but renew therefore this argument is invalid. This would only matter if players blocked access to nodes which is extremely rare on pve and usually done inadvertently if at all. 

You need to understand that if I own an island I want you to come gather on my island because I get free bonus resources when you do that cost you nothing. It is completely win/win on pve. 

I don't know why you waste your time trying to educate Realist, he hasn't even played Atlas.  So anything he says is pretty much mute.

He also is clearly a console gamer who only cares about console games.  Probably due to his dependency on aim assist.

And as far as console numbers, I'll believe it when i see it.  I don't think there will be much of a influx of players and even if there is a slight bump it will fade fast.  The game simply isn't good enough yet.

Edited by sgzeroone
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sgzeroone said:

I don't know why you waste your time trying to educate Realist, he hasn't even played Atlas.  So anything he says is pretty much mute.

He also is clearly a console gamer who only cares about console games.  Probably due to his dependency on aim assist.

Because sometimes I’m a glutton for punishment. Also although I can get frustrated at time with him because the fact he hasn’t played sometimes causes him to overestimate his knowledge and understanding of the game, I don’t agree that everything he says is worthless. There have been times when he has contributed meaningfully to discussions and I personally have no bias for or against console gamers. To me everyone is just a gamer. I know too many people who use both to draw any big distinction between the two.

Also I tend to cut Realist a lot of slack because he is able to argue his positions without resorting to insults or personal attacks. Given the state of most gaming forums, this carries a lot of weight with me. 

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, sgzeroone said:

And as far as console numbers, I'll believe it when i see it.  I don't think there will be much of a influx of players and even if there is a slight bump it will fade fast.  The game simply isn't good enough yet.

yes I don't think many people will join either with console release, most of the 58k that started here was from ark. console would probaly bring in 2500/5000 new players but they will quickly leave when they lose all there stuff. and if anyone thinks these console gamers are getting there on severs your dreaming they will get thrown in with the pc crowd in the form of crossplay.

2 minutes ago, lordkhan4444 said:

yes I don't think many people will join either with console release, most of the 58k that started here was from ark. console would probaly bring in 2500/5000 new players but they will quickly leave when they lose all there stuff. and if anyone thinks these console gamers are getting there on severs your dreaming they will get thrown in with the pc crowd in the form of crossplay.

I'll be really surprised if they do crossplay honestly.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lordkhan4444 said:

Not saying they will or not. What I will say is that if playstation gets this game then I don't see cross play happening at least if Microsoft is already cross play with PC. If it was just Sony and PC yes but if Microsoft is involved I don't see them allowing it so there for console would have it's own servers regardless if is now or later when Sony gets the game. Maybe when ps5 and new xbox comes out the terms and conditions will change some so the two can start working together with cross play. As of right now don't see anything changing. 

Nothing against console as I play them sometimes depending the game as well as some friends of mine don't have PC so I jump on and play games with them. But besides all that being in a spot that has ps4, xbox one, and PC I really think the game should wait till next gen consoles come out before releasing it. Even a pretty decent PC has some issues running this game. Those pretty decent PC are 10x better performance then any current consoles. By doing this game now on console they are going to have to optimize and cut out some things to get it to run. So by doing this you either have to dumb down the PC version which will piss the PC players off or PC players will have such an advantage on the console players that will result in console players not playing. So if you ask me I wouldn't do cross play. As far as player count it it would help but to get a few thousand extra players wouldn't make up for what it cost in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Realist said:

There are still many NA players on EU PvE who decided not to start over again a second time when NA PvE released. You can't use those numbers to show whether EU or NA is bigger in PvE.

4 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Please give your reasons why you think a wipe will help fill the servers up more?

Are you honestly saying the servers are low pop because there hasn't been a wipe in the last 4 months?

I have a few friends who would start playing on official servers if all the players had the same effort in front of them. Right now it's an introduction to an advanced game. It's like getting into a soccer game just before the final whistle. There are no efforts, tension, setbacks and experiences of progress.

58 minutes ago, Ameesa said:

I have a few friends who would start playing on official servers if all the players had the same effort in front of them. Right now it's an introduction to an advanced game. It's like getting into a soccer game just before the final whistle. There are no efforts, tension, setbacks and experiences of progress.

But the player numbers are no low because there hasn't been a wipe. You have a few friends who would start playing, but that doesn't warrant a wipe.

It will take much more than a simple wipe to bring the numbers up to a decent amount.

1 hour ago, Ameesa said:

It's like getting into a soccer game just before the final whistle. 

I'm guessing you're talking about pvp.

Even so, if the game is a success, the final whistle won't be for years yet.  During that time, people will come in, play out their entire adventure and then leave for other games.  Companies will rise then fall, rise again, etc.    Do your friends always expect to be the first one into a game?  It seems so weird to be in early EA and people are thinking it's too late to get into the game.

And it's not even the first whistle.  It's the pre-game warmup.  

• Like 2

OP, man, dont take this the wrong way...

But did you learn to do questionaires from Donald Trump's website?

Edited by PeglegTheAngry
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Winter Thorne said:

I'm guessing you're talking about pvp.

Even so, if the game is a success, the final whistle won't be for years yet.  During that time, people will come in, play out their entire adventure and then leave for other games.  Companies will rise then fall, rise again, etc.    Do your friends always expect to be the first one into a game?  It seems so weird to be in early EA and people are thinking it's too late to get into the game.

And it's not even the first whistle.  It's the pre-game warmup.  

In my case, I chose PVE in Atlas because I am not active enough for PVP. But I watch the player numbers on all servers and just think about how to get some movement back in the game. I'm very open to other suggestions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ameesa said:

In my case, I chose PVE in Atlas because I am not active enough for PVP. But I watch the player numbers on all servers and just think about how to get some movement back in the game. I'm very open to other suggestions.

If you played pvp, I can see how your friends might worry about getting overrun by established companies.  But for pve?  Tell your friends to come on in, the water's fine.  There's plenty of tension, setbacks, adventures, and progress.    The only thing there isn't is plenty of players.  If your'e a new player that's to your benefit.  You can find land, and a fairly welcoming group of established players to start out with.

The only other thing that I think will bring large numbers of players to the game (or back to the game) is a real "mega" release.  New game mechanics, deeper skill trees with bigger impacts, a fix to the small remaining number of bugs annoying enough to make someone QQ - like disappearing ships and structures. If they kicked up the skill trees and added a whole structure to enable people to group together and accomplish some things as a town, that would be big.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

The only other thing that I think will bring large numbers of players to the game (or back to the game) is a real "mega" release.  New game mechanics, deeper skill trees with bigger impacts, a fix to the small remaining number of bugs annoying enough to make someone QQ - like disappearing ships and structures. If they kicked up the skill trees and added a whole structure to enable people to group together and accomplish some things as a town, that would be big.

Pretty much. If player numbers are any indication, people prefer Atlas for its MMO like qualities, more than it's  Ark/Rust like qualities. The team should focus on  bringing the actual game structure up to snuff.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Dude. How many times do I have to say it? The number of incoming console players is completely irrelevant to how much room will be created by a wipe. That number is about how many players are already on, and that number is low to the point that a wipe would serve no purpose but to piss those people off. You seem to be having a great deal of trouble wrapping your head around  this basic fact because you keep referencing the number of console players as the reason a wipe is needed. 

I see 800 people on Eu pve at peak. That is hardly irrelevant. That is almost an average of 2 people on each server for that cluster. We all know that isn’t the case. The good servers are completely dominated.

there is plenty of room? Shame on you. How about all of you pc players go live in the artic then? Does that sound good. I hope so because that is where you should be if you don’t want a wipe.

go leave those good spots and I would agree to not having a wipe. I want a wipe because I don’t want you having the good spots. Really doesn’t matter if anyone was there on day one. That is total crap. Everyone loves to say it’s “EA”, well yeah it is EA and it’s time to wipe.

crossplay is a major change now matter how people try to make it seem like it isn’t. It will come with all new bugs that need to be ironed out. The servers will he strained once again and the last thing we need is a bunch of clutter(bases) on islands.

i could only imagine with how bad the pc release was if there were already numerous bases and ships all over the place. I mean get real dude.

they are going to have a hard enough time even trying to pull of crossplay in the first place. You really need to take any kind of emotion out of this. The servers couldn’t handle the first release and regardless of optimizations(not really) they sure as hell won’t be able to handle all of the player generated structures as well as a ton of players. It would be pathetic. You need to realize that.

8 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

If there were enough pve players such that all the islands were already owned, I could see your argument carrying some weight, but this is nowhere close to being true. There is plenty of territory to be had so I think the end any argument that a pve wipe is necessary falls back to a very narrow, selfish point of view that puts one’s own personal preferences to have every last thing one could possibly want no matter what it costs someone else. This is the only position from which you can defend a pve wipe is needed argument.

So what if there are tons of console players coming?

A) you cannot assert that to be true with absolute authority, you can only say what you expect to happen.

B) Guess what? Many of the pve players you want to wipe just to make that extra tiny tiny tiny little bit of room available for the console players as well already fought through super crowded conditions to get what they have now. They have already endured one wipe. As far as I’m concerned, they’ve earned the right to keep what they have if the reason to take it away from them is just to make room for newcomers. Wipes are part of Early Access, I’m perfectly willing to deal with them. What I’m not willing to agree is needed is a wipe just so brand new console players can get exactly what they want.

They can suck it up and deal. We already have.

Do not speak to me of what console players will and won’t put up with. I’m telling you what I will and won’t put up with, and it’s this nonsense notion that I must make way for some entitled brats who will pitch a fit if anyone else is there first.

The argument is completely valid. Pc players will control all resource spawns by hook or by crook. That is how this type of game goes. Pvp or pve.

”they can suck it up and deal?” Yeah this game is done 😂 

console is the saving grace. Some bowing even might be in order.

6 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

There are still many NA players on EU PvE who decided not to start over again a second time when NA PvE released. You can't use those numbers to show whether EU or NA is bigger in PvE.

I was trying to argue “for” pve not against but yeah if you want to combine na and Eu for pvp and pve, there are still more pvp players so yeah.

quick question though. You Already know how these guys are gp. Do you think they would actually wipe pvp and not pve lol? If one gets wiped, the other will as well so be careful on that.

Edited by Realist

51 minutes ago, Realist said:

I see 800 people on Eu pve at peak. That is hardly irrelevant. That is almost an average of 2 people on each server for that cluster. We all know that isn’t the case. The good servers are completely dominated.

there is plenty of room? Shame on you. How about all of you pc players go live in the artic then? Does that sound good. I hope so because that is where you should be if you don’t want a wipe.

go leave those good spots and I would agree to not having a wipe. I want a wipe because I don’t want you having the good spots. Really doesn’t matter if anyone was there on day one. That is total crap. Everyone loves to say it’s “EA”, well yeah it is EA and it’s time to wipe.

crossplay is a major change now matter how people try to make it seem like it isn’t. It will come with all new bugs that need to be ironed out. The servers will he strained once again and the last thing we need is a bunch of clutter(bases) on islands.

i could only imagine with how bad the pc release was if there were already numerous bases and ships all over the place. I mean get real dude.

they are going to have a hard enough time even trying to pull of crossplay in the first place. You really need to take any kind of emotion out of this. The servers couldn’t handle the first release and regardless of optimizations(not really) they sure as hell won’t be able to handle all of the player generated structures as well as a ton of players. It would be pathetic. You need to realize that.

The argument is completely valid. Pc players will control all resource spawns by hook or by crook. That is how this type of game goes. Pvp or pve.

”they can suck it up and deal?” Yeah this game is done 😂 

console is the saving grace. Some bowing even might be in order.

I really don’t know how I can say this any more clearly to you, but since you continue to put forward an argument after having clearly had it explained to you that the foundation of the argument is based on a flawed premise, I will explain as I would a child, with repetition.

PVE PLAYERS DONT COMPETE FOR RESOURCES.

IN PVE THERE IS NO COMPETITION FOR RESOURCES.

PVE RESOURCES ARE NOT GUARDED HOARDED OR OTHERWISE KEPT FRIM OTHER PLAYERS. 

PVE PLAYERS ACTUALLY BUILD STRUCTURES AND ERECT SIGNS TO DIRECT VISITING PLAYERS TO THEIR RESOURCES.

IN PVE THE INCENTIVES MAKE SHARING NODES ADVANTAGOUS, HENCE NO COMPETITION.

PVE PLAYERS HAVE NO INCENTIVE TO COMPETE FOR RESOURCES.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND YET THAT YOUR PREMISE OF I HAVE THE RESOURCE AND DONT WANT YOU TO USE IT IS COMPLETELY WRONG IN PVE?

PLEASE STOP REGURGITATING A FLAWED PREMISE AND LISTEN TO WHAT YOU ARE BEING TOLD ABOUT THE GAME YOU’VE NEVER PLAYED BY PEOPLE WHO HAVE.

IS ANY OF THIS GETTING THROUGH YET?

Honestly, I have exhausted my last bit of patience with you on this subject. You have been told clearly and repeatedly what you need to know to understand why the need for a pve wipe is nonexistent except from an extremely selfish point of view. The things you are saying are now coming from an arrogance of attempting to say you know better how things in the game work than those who actually play. When you have gone down this path, you have always been wrong. I am done discussing this. 

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

I really don’t know how I can say this any more clearly to you, but since you continue to put forward an argument after having clearly had it explained to you that the foundation of the argument is based on a flawed premise, I will explain as I would a child, with repetition.

PVE PLAYERS DONT COMPETE FOR RESOURCES.

IN PVE THERE IS NO COMPETITION FOR RESOURCES.

PVE RESOURCES ARE NOT GUARDED HOARDED OR OTHERWISE KEPT FRIM OTHER PLAYERS. 

PVE PLAYERS ACTUALLY BUILD STRUCTURES AND ERECT SIGNS TO DIRECT VISITING PLAYERS TO THEIR RESOURCES.

IN PVE THE INCENTIVES MAKE SHARING NODES ADVANTAGOUS, HENCE NO COMPETITION.

PVE PLAYERS HAVE NO INCENTIVE TO COMPETE FOR RESOURCES.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND YET THAT YOUR PREMISE OF I HAVE THE RESOURCE AND DONT WANT YOU TO USE IT IS COMPLETELY WRONG IN PVE?

PLEASE STOP REGURGITATING A FLAWED PREMISE AND LISTEN TO WHAT YOU ARE BEING TOLD ABOUT THE GAME YOU’VE NEVER PLAYED BY PEOPLE WHO HAVE.

IS ANY OF THIS GETTING THROUGH YET?

Honestly, I have exhausted my last bit of patience with you on this subject. You have been told clearly and repeatedly what you need to know to understand why the need for a pve wipe is nonexistent except from an extremely selfish point of view. The things you are saying are now coming from an arrogance of attempting to say you know better how things in the game work than those who actually play. When you have gone down this path, you have always been wrong. I am done discussing this. 

Yeah it is a shame. If you think pve players don’t control resources, I really don’t have anything to say to you as well. This is a very sad subject. The grieving that goes on is horrible. It isn’t just ark. It isn’t just atlas. It is all of these games. It or really messed up.

it is time to take a stand. No more of pve grieving. It still continues. What do you think crossplay would bring? Jesus Christ boomer, that is pretty bad.

if you thought grieving was a problem just wait till somebody new comes in. The respect level just went way lower for you

Why are we still arguing about this stupid stuff? Cross play isn't going to happen anyway. Playstation will get the game at some point and they are not going to allow cross play with xbox. So the only way cross play is going to happen is if playstation isn't getting the game at all. When it comes down to it they will do whatever they please it is there game. End of argument. Thanks, and you're welcome. 

9 hours ago, Realist said:

Yeah it is a shame. If you think pve players don’t control resources, I really don’t have anything to say to you as well. This is a very sad subject. The grieving that goes on is horrible. It isn’t just ark. It isn’t just atlas. It is all of these games. It or really messed up.

it is time to take a stand. No more of pve grieving. It still continues. What do you think crossplay would bring? Jesus Christ boomer, that is pretty bad.

if you thought grieving was a problem just wait till somebody new comes in. The respect level just went way lower for you

Totaly wrong.

Every island I have visited, has had no impediment to gathering resources and with crafting high end gear thats a lot of different resource types and a lot of islands visited, added to that all the islands i've gone to to find treasure. ( one or two bases that blocked a route or two, but nowhere that blocked a resource).

Many times you find a sign post with a resource name on it. indicating a rich place for that resource.

Our island for instance has all the metal, salt, crystal and coal on the tops of mountains only reachable by climbing pick or grapples. The island owner (not me) has built 3 widths wide with railings ramps and rediculously high bridges connecting all the resource rich areas so you can take your weight elephant or bear with cart up to these places. The more you can gather the more he gets as a bonus.

I get that you can't see this yet, but please stop trying to insist something so obviously false to anyone who plays the game.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Realist said:

Keep in mind, Realist is the same clown who thinks he's getting taxed by claims.

8 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Keep in mind, Realist is the same clown who thinks he's getting taxed by claims.

Uh I didn’t say that. You just put words in my mouth.