Sign in to follow this  
Ameesa

How about a reset (wipe) of the official servers to update the game and fill it up a bit? Just vote here

Reset/wipe official servers?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. How about a reset/wipe paired with an advertising campaign?

• Reset all servers in about 2 months and stir the advertising drum until then properly
    • Reset all servers and merge EU and US would be my best solution
    • New PVP server that automatically resets every 3 months
    • Simply reset now
    • Never reset!
    • Resetting is not a solution, I think the number of active players will continue to decrease.
    • A wipe isn't the answer. I have another suggestion.

You could wipe the official servers on a planned date and do a lot of advertising until then:
Video Adds on Insta
Add on YouTube

Could give the whole thing some fresh wind again. What do you mean? 

The first setup is the really exciting one ... We only harvest the current beds, jump once on each boat so that it is not despawned and then we go offline again .... 

So why not do some great advertising and set everything to 0 again? Maybe that'll bring growth again in terms of player numbers and especially playing time.

Edited by Ameesa

1 hour ago, Ameesa said:

You could wipe the official servers on a planned date and do a lot of advertising until then:
Video Adds on Insta
Add on YouTube

The first setup is the really exciting one ... We only harvest the current beds, jump once on each boat so that it is not despawned and then we go offline again .... 

So why not do some great advertising and set everything to 0 again? Maybe that'll bring growth again in terms of player numbers and especially playing time.

there is no point to it, even if they manage to fool new players into buying the game they would quit after few months when they realize the curent state of the game

You should specify whether you're talking about pvp or pve servers.

I have no idea why anyone would think wiping the pve servers would produce growth in player numbers.  Most of the players left would leave, and the wipe doesn't produce any real advantage for new incoming players, since the servers are already so empty, they can easily come in and start playing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ameesa said:

Video Adds on Insta
Add on YouTube

The time to do this would be official game launch, not some random interval a quarter of the way through your Early Access period. Additionally, they launched the EA with almost no spending on advertising, so presumably it’s highly unlikely they would suddenly change course on that approach now.

Most importantly, D legacy is right, the game needs work. There are some thorny fundamental design issues that have not yet been resolved. Spending a bunch of money to bring players into Atlas now would be showing them an unfinished and unpolished product. Everyone’s wedding photos are of them dressed to the nines with makeup and hair professionally done and everything carefully groomed to look perfect. This would be like having the wedding photographer take the pictures while everyone was in the middle of getting dressed.

• Like 1

It's already a great game for me. It's very positive when a game is constantly evolving and never reaches Done status. It's just a bit boring when the hoped-for dynamic between players doesn't happen due to lack of players.  More players = More dynamics = More fun ... No matter if PVP or PVE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ameesa said:

It's already a great game for me. It's very positive when a game is constantly evolving and never reaches Done status. It's just a bit boring when the hoped-for dynamic between players doesn't happen due to lack of players.  More players = More dynamics = More fun ... No matter if PVP or PVE.

No offense but more players most definitely did not equal more fun during the game’s first few weeks. What it equaled was lagfest, grieffest, can’t find a decent place to buildfest. More players than the game has at present would be nice, but this is not an automatically true equation into infinity.

Glad that you’re enjoying the game, the next point at which significant numbers of new players will be added is most likely to be at Xbox release later this year. What is not known is whether console players will have their own servers or be added to existing with crossplay. With the cost of maintaining a full game world’s worth of servers being significant and Atlas having been developed on a limited budget compared to most MMO’s, I would be inclined to think crossplay with existing servers is more likely but since my hand written invitation to Grapecard staff meetings seems to have gone missing in the mail, your guess is as good as mine really.

edit addendum: your poll has an option for a pvp server that resets every 90 days. I have seen more of than one or two Rust veterans point out that this approach works well there. There are some meaningful differences between Rust and the game Atlas is trying to be, but I can see reasons why this might be worth experimenting with.

Edited by boomervoncannon

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

No offense but more players most definitely did not equal more fun during the game’s first few weeks. What it equaled was lagfest, grieffest, can’t find a decent place to buildfest. More players than the game has at present would be nice, but this is not an automatically true equation into infinity.

Glad that you’re enjoying the game, the next point at which significant numbers of new players will be added is most likely to be at Xbox release later this year. What is not known is whether console players will have their own servers or be added to existing with crossplay. With the cost of maintaining a full game world’s worth of servers being significant and Atlas having been developed on a limited budget compared to most MMO’s, I would be inclined to think crossplay with existing servers is more likely but since my hand written invitation to Grapecard staff meetings seems to have gone missing in the mail, your guess is as good as mine really.

If they don’t wipe with crossplay, they will fail even worse than the pc release. 

1 hour ago, Ameesa said:

The right amount of players=fun, and we're well under that amount now.  And that is true for PvE as well as PvP.

However - 

The idea that wiping servers brings more players is very strange.  The last time the servers got wiped nearly everyone quit.

I can see that there might be an argument for it on pvp servers, since it's hard to start our as a n00b in pvp when everyone else is fully loaded to smack you down as soon as you join.  The land claim dynamic is different there as well.

On pve servers,  a wipe only drives away the players that are left there.   Then as new players come in, they see a ghost town, and they don't stick around either.   The pve servers should be able to support thousands more people than they have today.  There's no reason new players can't just join them and start.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Realist said:

If they don’t wipe with crossplay, they will fail even worse than the pc release. 

I’m having a hard time following you here, are you saying wipes are bad?

*ducks*

Just now, boomervoncannon said:

I’m having a hard time following you here, are you saying wipes are bad?

*ducks*

No, I am saying that if crossplay happens, then not only is a wipe good but an absolute necessity for both pvp and pve. Otherwise the launch would be a complete and total failure.

not to mention a show of complete incompetence of a dev company. 

1 minute ago, Realist said:

No, I am saying that if crossplay happens, then not only is a wipe good but an absolute necessity for both pvp and pve. Otherwise the launch would be a complete and total failure.

not to mention a show of complete incompetence of a dev company. 

I was pulling your leg. You’ve been pretty emphatic about this point all along. I do tend to agree with Thorne though with regards to pve. There are tons of places for console players to build right now on pve. Given that there is no competitive advantage to be gained, why would a pve wipe be a necessity? Just because console players absolutely demand a pristine game world to build in at the expense of the few hearty souls who have stuck through everything to date? Remember, this isn’t game launch, it’s merely console access to an ongoing Early Access.

As one of those hearty souls who has been here since day one, I have to say I’m inclined to borrow a phrase from our British brethren when reacting to any such notion:

Bollocks to that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I was pulling your leg. You’ve been pretty emphatic about this point all along. I do tend to agree with Thorne though with regards to pve. There are tons of places for console players to build right now on pve. Given that there is no competitive advantage to be gained, why would a pve wipe be a necessity? Just because console players absolutely demand a pristine game world to build in at the expense of the few hearty souls who have stuck through everything to date? Remember, this isn’t game launch, it’s merely console access to an ongoing Early Access.

As one of those hearty souls who has been here since day one, I have to say I’m inclined to borrow a phrase from our British brethren when reacting to any such notion:

Bollocks to that.

And I absolutely disagree with you and Thorne. There is a lot of console players waiting for EA release so no there is not plenty of room for all of the console players. If they devs want to make the completely stupid decision of crossplay then a full wipe needs to be done.

crossplay is idiotic in my opinion but that only thing that would top that stupidity would be to not wipe after implementing it.

pc people started fresh and console players need to as well. I mean, I really don’t care about the people from day one. They would definitely be showing a pure form a favoritism that will not go over well with console players.

even with me saying all this, I am saying this with a 100% guarantee that things will be wiped. I am very sure of that. Nobody is that stupid.

2 hours ago, Ameesa said:

Please give your reasons why you think a wipe will help fill the servers up more?

Are you honestly saying the servers are low pop because there hasn't been a wipe in the last 4 months?

The only thing a wipe would do right now is to finish off the rest of the player-base. They need to fix the problems first and bring some game-changers to have any hope of making a restart a success. Personally i think they should have waited with the console release as well, i don't think its going to translate well, but we will see.

25 minutes ago, Realist said:

And I absolutely disagree with you and Thorne. There is a lot of console players waiting for EA release so no there is not plenty of room for all of the console players. If they devs want to make the completely stupid decision of crossplay then a full wipe needs to be done.

crossplay is idiotic in my opinion but that only thing that would top that stupidity would be to not wipe after implementing it.

pc people started fresh and console players need to as well. I mean, I really don’t care about the people from day one. They would definitely be showing a pure form a favoritism that will not go over well with console players.

even with me saying all this, I am saying this with a 100% guarantee that things will be wiped. I am very sure of that. Nobody is that stupid.

Agree and disagree at the same time. To do it on pve just for cross play alone no I don't think it would need it. If they are going to do a wipe when the game comes out of EA then I say why not wait. If they are not going to do a wipe then yes I say go ahead and wipe if they do cross play. If they are going to do a wipe after EA then why do one just for cross play? No body is making anyone on console buy an EA game just like nobody made everyone that bought it for PC buy a EA game before it was ready. I say know what you are buying before you buy it. Would that be stupid if they don't do a wipe just for cross play if they are going to turn around and do a other wipe? I don't think so. Just because you or some others want a fresh start because PC had that chance is irrelevant in my opinion. I just don't see why we need to do 2 wipes when we can do just one more. 

EA to me isn't about actually playing the game like you would a game that is ready to go. To me it is about playing and finding those bugs, glitches, balancing and coming here and voicing what you feel would make things better for the game. If you can't do that because it isn't wiped and a fresh start just to get to an island before someone else then to me EA isn't for you. If they do cross play to me it is to jump in help find the problems and have fun until the game is ready and then a wipe happens and you get the fresh start as everyone else. Again though this is if they will do another wipe. If not I totally agree a wipe should happen. Just my opinion though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, crazywildfire said:

If they are not going to do a wipe then yes I say go ahead and wipe 

Because I all but guarantee there will not be a wipe at the end of EA. Ark was a good example of that. The decision maker(Jeremy) himself didn’t wipe ark on official release and he won’t do it here.

with that being said and out of the way, I am glad that you agree with me that there should be a wipe

16 minutes ago, Realist said:

Because I all but guarantee there will not be a wipe at the end of EA. Ark was a good example of that. The decision maker(Jeremy) himself didn’t wipe ark on official release and he won’t do it here.

with that being said and out of the way, I am glad that you agree with me that there should be a wipe

But this isn't ark and it is a MMO that doesn't have the amount of servers that ark had/has. So besides having some other mechanic change to do another wipe that has already happened it kinda would need a wipe when EA is over with. It would only be right to do so. I'm not saying they will or won't do it, I'm just saying in my opinion it would need to happen for this game. So if it does happen I don't see why do a wipe just for cross play alone when another whipe is around the corner. But if you are right and another wipe doesn't happen at all then yes it needs to happen when and if cross play happens. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazywildfire said:

But this isn't ark and it is a MMO that doesn't have the amount of servers that ark had/has. So besides having some other mechanic change to do another wipe that has already happened it kinda would need a wipe when EA is over with. It would only be right to do so. I'm not saying they will or won't do it, I'm just saying in my opinion it would need to happen for this game. So if it does happen I don't see why do a wipe just for cross play alone when another whipe is around the corner. But if you are right and another wipe doesn't happen at all then yes it needs to happen when and if cross play happens. 

It doesn’t matter what game it is. All you have to do I know the reason jeremy made his decision. It also had nothing to do with servers either.

i am paraphrasing. “We know how much time people have spent over the last couple of years and we know that time is important. People have become attached to all they have accomplished and ultimately we couldn’t bring ourselves to take that away from them” somewhat along those lines.

believe me, the wipe won’t be happening because that same approach will happen again regardless of the game. The one that made the decision is still the one making the decision. That is what you look at.

Personally, the next time there's a wipe it'll be the last bit of motive force I need to get me to switch purely to single player. Starting over in this game is rather tedious.    

2 hours ago, Realist said:

When my friends and I go out to dinner, we think the restaurant should clear away all the existing diners as we come in, because we like things to be nice and clean.  For some strange reason, they keep refusing to do that.

On pve, there is either enough room for all the players or not.  If there's not enough room, the only way wiping makes more room is by getting a lot of players to quit.  Doesn't seem like a great goal to me, getting players to quit to make more room for other players.

Wiping the server doesn't magically let it hold more players than it already would hold.

You've spent weeks crowing about how far down the server numbers are.  Now all of a sudden your crystal ball says there are too many players to accommodate new sales.  I think your crystal ball has a crack in it.

The only ones who will know real numbers are Grapeshot.  If I were them I'd judge it by presales and then decide whether to open up a new server (crossplay or not) for the incoming players.  Either everyone will fit on the existing servers or they will need another server.    No amount of wiping changes that equation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ameesa said:

Video Adds on Insta
Add on YouTube

I play on PVE and have sunk hours into powerstones, building up my base and breeding a top line of animals. If there is a wipe at this point I will not return. Without a serious amount of new content and actually repeatable end game stuff there is just no point in rebuilding. I will move on instead. With games like Ashes of Creation on the horizon, there is plenty of new online games to try for me. Plus, I still have a whole Steam liberary of single player games I never finished.

2 hours ago, Realist said:

What’s relevant in discussing a wipe prior to crossplay in terms of freeing space isn’t how many console players there are waiting to play it, because since they aren’t already on, they won’t be wiped, and thus are a non factor to how much space is created by wiping, but how many pc players are currently on. Number of pc players= low, therefore amount of space created by wiping them= negligible. How pissed off these people will by being wiped to make room for others that didn’t go through the hell of Atlas’s earliest days=high.

Realist, think about what you’re arguing for. In effect, you are saying that legions of tourists about to visit Yosemite National Park won’t come, won’t be able to enjoy it, and will leave immediately if two dozen campers already there aren’t forced to leave first, even though those people helped make the park ready for the legions to follow. The small number of existing players screwed over by this in favor of a negligible benefit to incoming players makes no sense.

You speak of pure favoritism, but again, since there is no competitive advantage to be gained in pve, explain to me what exactly would the incoming console players legitimate gripe be if existing pve players were not wiped? We have already told you there is tons of space, favoritism how? 

• Like 1

I would love to see monthly wipes! we would call it king of the server where solo/duo/trio start out on each island on a single server. 1 month is plenty of time to conquer the entire server! and it would all be on even ground as each island would be solo/duo/trio only. it would be like rust but better.

1 minute ago, lordkhan4444 said:

I would love to see monthly wipes! we would call it king of the server where solo/duo/trio start out on each island on a single server. 1 month is plenty of time to conquer the entire server! and it would all be on even ground as each island would be solo/duo/trio only. it would be like rust but better.

I think this could be an intriguing possibity for a pvp server. It’s nonsensical for pve, but for pvp definitely could have its merits and the time to experiment with such a concept is definitely during EA. When I ran a cluster of 4 Ark servers, we rotated both the map and mod load out one of the servers every 90 days. People loved it because they could build their permanent homes on one of the others and then try out new stuff on the new map. There are meaningful differences between this and Atlas but I agree the concept could be worth a look.

38 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

When my friends and I go out to dinner, we think the restaurant should clear away all the existing diners as we come in, because we like things to be nice and clean.  For some strange reason, they keep refusing to do that.

On pve, there is either enough room for all the players or not.  If there's not enough room, the only way wiping makes more room is by getting a lot of players to quit.  Doesn't seem like a great goal to me, getting players to quit to make more room for other players.

Wiping the server doesn't magically let it hold more players than it already would hold.

You've spent weeks crowing about how far down the server numbers are.  Now all of a sudden your crystal ball says there are too many players to accommodate new sales.  I think your crystal ball has a crack in it.

The only ones who will know real numbers are Grapeshot.  If I were them I'd judge it by presales and then decide whether to open up a new server (crossplay or not) for the incoming players.  Either everyone will fit on the existing servers or they will need another server.    No amount of wiping changes that equation.

Yep. Pretty much. Numbers are very low. Console numbers will be high which means there won’t be enough room. Room needs to be made.

thank you though. Your post helped prove that crossplay is stupid to begin with. All it will do is hurt pc by the wipe(it will happen) and hurt console players because there won’t be enough room whether there is a wipe or not. 

So in that case, let’s not do crossplay so we can have our fresh servers and you guys can keep your stuff. Sounds like an awesome idea