Sign in to follow this  
zottel

Q&A Community vs. Devs

Would Not be the First Game that Turned 180 degrees And got so much better that it has a huge playerbase. No Mans Sky did awful And now Plenty People Play it. Final Fantasy 14 did it a bit More Hardcore, they remade the whole Game And Turned it into one of the largest MMOs ever. So there still is that tiny bit of hope that just waits to grow 

3 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

That's what people said about the first wipe. It was true, it did happen, but didn't last. I don't see another wipe being any different, because the fact there is no wipe right now, or no confirmation there will never be a wipe is not the reason for low numbers, so a wipe wouldn't fix the issues.

If there's a wipe and it brings people back, they'll come back saying yay fresh start, can get my island, etc etc etc, then soon realise the real reason for low numbers (whatever that reason is) still exists and those same players will leave again for the same reasons they left the first time.

I'd love for Atlas to turn things around, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Sadly I log in once maybe twice a week to fill trough, step on ships, log off. I guess I'm one of those that are clinging on to hope things will improve so log on to keep my belongings.

If they do crossplay they better do a wipe. If that does happen that wipe will bring in players believe me.

i still think crossplay is very very stupid. But as long as they wipe if they do it then yes that wipe will definitely bring in players 

2 minutes ago, zottel said:

Would Not be the First Game that Turned 180 degrees And got so much better that it has a huge playerbase. No Mans Sky did awful And now Plenty People Play it. Final Fantasy 14 did it a bit More Hardcore, they remade the whole Game And Turned it into one of the largest MMOs ever. So there still is that tiny bit of hope that just waits to grow 

Look I’m the first guy to cite No Man’s Sky as the “Opera ain’t over til the fat lady sings” example, but let’s be honest about what it has accomplished. Yesterday’s peak for it was under 6k. I would call that solid but not a huge playerbase. I’m less familiar with the remake of FF 14 so I don’t want to comment on it, but I do think that it’s really really hard to build a hit out of a game that flops out of the gate. I think Atlas can build itself into a respectable game with hard work and a bit of luck, but making it a hit would be a real long shot imo.

The problem is there are so many games and new ones coming out all the time, so once you have a bad rep, there is a large percentage of gamers that will never give a game a second look, which is a shame because I have seen more than one game that started off rough and then it’s dev team righted the ship and made it a lot of fun. People who stuck with it were able to draw friends and family in after that, but the other thing that inhibits recovery is the fact industry press doesn’t rereview games much, so if your game started off bad, whenever anyone searches for reviews on it, those early reviews are all they’re likely to see. This is why recent reviews on steam are a particularly valuable resource to consumers, but the % that take the time to reconsider and dig deeper makes recovering to anything more than respectable incredibly hard to do.

25 minutes ago, zottel said:

Yeah definitely FF14, but no mans sky is a very bad example. NMS changed the game and had a rush of people in. They realized that change was bad and are down to 3700 average which is nowhere close to plenty of people.

you might think 3700 is good because atlas only has 2800 but that is an abysmal number to begin with.

2 hours ago, zottel said:

Just have a few People like everything you post on Forums. 

Thats the reputation system, that how it works. Post important, excited, helpfull and other stuff and gain reputation.....

Next few weeks/months a lot of "hyped" games will be released.

Last Oasis (Survival MMO), WOW classic and (maybe) Ashes of Creation. Especially Ashes of Creation will hit ATLAS hard.

So its more then important to give us a little hope for more content 🙂

1 hour ago, Realist said:

If they do crossplay they better do a wipe. If that does happen that wipe will bring in players believe me.

i still think crossplay is very very stupid. But as long as they wipe if they do it then yes that wipe will definitely bring in players 

If they do crossplay (which I doubt) then yes it would need a wipe, but the game wiping isn't the issue that's preventing people playing. Therefore as I said, even if there is a wipe it won't bring in players, at least not for long, because that is not the real problems with the game.

I also doubt they would ever consider crossplay during EA. The most you can probably expect with cross play is Xbox/Win 10.

DayZ and Rust both hit VERY simmilar low points. Rust went as low as five thousand, and they had similar numbers to what we had before wipe. DayZ got into the hundreds at one point, but is now one of the most popular survival games.  Atlas only has a few flaws:

Torpedos killed the game. Take out stupid shit like torpedos and quit adding stupid shit like torpedos and people will come back.

Do something about player toxicity (ban negative nancies on reddit and here) and the mind-virus that causes a cascade of player disillusion to spread. Lots of people want to log in and see the game but stop short because Reddit told them to.

We
NEED a PvP-PvE grid.

Megas need to be un-nerfed. Huge groups drive the economy and keep people playing.

PvE players can no longer destroy abandoned bases.. which sucks, thats good loot.

Not sure how feasible it would be for to fairly select two individuals per grid but do plan on having more Q&As in the future, particularly timed around our live streams (for which we'll be announcing the next one soonish).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

Not sure how feasible it would be for to fairly select two individuals per grid but do plan on having more Q&As in the future, particularly timed around our live streams (for which we'll be announcing the next one soonish).

It doesnt work.

Maybe its possible to start a thread before Q&A starts and everyone will post questions. The questions with highest reputations will be answered in stream.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Puppies4ever said:

It doesnt work.

Maybe its possible to start a thread before Q&A starts and everyone will post questions. The questions with highest reputations will be answered in stream.

We've done Q&A threads in the past, pinned topic where we've taken questions from and answered live on stream and it's likely we'll do the same going forward 🙂 -- we'll post an announcement when the details are available.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Do something about player toxicity (ban negative nancies on reddit and here) and the mind-virus that causes a cascade of player disillusion to spread. Lots of people want to log in and see the game but stop short because Reddit told them to.

I've wondered about this myself.  I remember in Star Citizen a while back (years) there was a guy that was on an absolute mission to destroy SC to no end.  Anywhere and everywhere he could post he was making factually wrong, horrible and lengthy posts.  Many different accounts (you could tell by his writing style and subjects), many different locations (Reddit, Official, mmorpg.com ... etc).  Was brutal, don't know what ever happened to him.  Darkfall Online had the same share of outspoken haters for years.  Positively brutal posts about the game and the Dev team.  Some of which was true and earned, but, most was just opinion about a game still in development. 

PvP games seem to bring out the worst in some people.  Just makes me wonder if the strong arm forum moderation is a good thing or a bad thing for a game.