Sign in to follow this  
boomervoncannon

Suggestion: Ship in a bottle

Atlas has underwater exploration areas, a submarine, and underwater tames. Quite possibly underwater caves are on the way. A hotly debated side issue in Realist’s thread speculating about them is whether they will relieve the need for players to have land based bases.

They will not. As the game is presently configured.

The reason as put forth by others is that players will still need to build above water to protect their ships. This is a non issue for pve at present but conceivably become so with WPE or other expansion of NPC threats. For the moment let’s stipulate it will eventually be true for both modes to simplify.

In Ark you can place tames in stasis using a particular tek device. This has many benefits both to the individual player and the community. Let us do the same in Atlas utilizing magic to store ships in bottles. This will allow players to base entirely in underwater environments using subs or tames to travel back to the surface, pulling ships out of the bottle only when actually needed.

The benefits would be as follows:

1. Massive reduction in server load as not only ships no longer need to be rendered constantly but the massive buildings built to keep them safe are no longer needed.

2. Offline raiding/sinking of ships becomes a non issue overnight.

3. Makes underwater basing (assuming liveable areas are otw) both practical and desirable as presumably it’s less visible to prospective hostile. This could conceivably increase space available for player housing exponentially.

To anyone so inclined, spare us your misguided arguments about immersion breaking. Atlas isn’t pirate, it’s pirate fantasy. Magic has been included from day one or do you think the Army of the Undead is a real thing? The masthead of this very forum sports a flying ship. The very premise of your position should you insist on shoehorning it into this thread is flat wrong. Magic that lets players store ships in a bottle is a entirely consistent with this game’s actual theme.

To anyone who has gameplay based criticisms of this idea, fire away. Let’s kick it around and see if we can poke holes in it.

An animal with numbers attached to it for stats is easier to store than a ship with a plethora of configurations using just the base ship components before factoring in things like players building other structures on the decks for protection and whatnot. Not to mention the issue of crews.

43 minutes ago, 6Xero9 said:

An animal with numbers attached to it for stats is easier to store than a ship with a plethora of configurations using just the base ship components before factoring in things like players building other structures on the decks for protection and whatnot. Not to mention the issue of crews.

Yeah, didn’t think it that far through. You right. Might be more trouble than it’s worth. Still, it would solve a lot of things if it did work...

*sighs wistfully*

3 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Still, it would solve a lot of things if it did work...

It would also cause issues, could you imagine a schooner coming to your island in PvP and pulling out 10 galleons right then and there?

4 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Atlas has underwater exploration areas, a submarine, and underwater tames. Quite possibly underwater caves are on the way. A hotly debated side issue in Realist’s thread speculating about them is whether they will relieve the need for players to have land based bases.

They will not. As the game is presently configured.

The reason as put forth by others is that players will still need to build above water to protect their ships. This is a non issue for pve at present but conceivably become so with WPE or other expansion of NPC threats. For the moment let’s stipulate it will eventually be true for both modes to simplify.

In Ark you can place tames in stasis using a particular tek device. This has many benefits both to the individual player and the community. Let us do the same in Atlas utilizing magic to store ships in bottles. This will allow players to base entirely in underwater environments using subs or tames to travel back to the surface, pulling ships out of the bottle only when actually needed.

The benefits would be as follows:

1. Massive reduction in server load as not only ships no longer need to be rendered constantly but the massive buildings built to keep them safe are no longer needed.

2. Offline raiding/sinking of ships becomes a non issue overnight.

3. Makes underwater basing (assuming liveable areas are otw) both practical and desirable as presumably it’s less visible to prospective hostile. This could conceivably increase space available for player housing exponentially.

To anyone so inclined, spare us your misguided arguments about immersion breaking. Atlas isn’t pirate, it’s pirate fantasy. Magic has been included from day one or do you think the Army of the Undead is a real thing? The masthead of this very forum sports a flying ship. The very premise of your position should you insist on shoehorning it into this thread is flat wrong. Magic that lets players store ships in a bottle is a entirely consistent with this game’s actual theme.

To anyone who has gameplay based criticisms of this idea, fire away. Let’s kick it around and see if we can poke holes in it.

There is no holes in this. I love this. If anyone has a problem with it then don’t worry boomer, just, “hold my beer” 😂

loving where you are going with the cryopod/underwater cave idea. 

Once again people, there is not problem with elaborating on anything. Please realize that.

—————————————————————

we already know tek is here by the sub/torpedo. It is not only happening but it has happened. Too late now. But now it is time to improve on it.

sky fortress? Underwater bases? That isn’t even tek. The simple fact is that they need more variety. 

P.s. please bring flier tames. Airships are cool but we need fliers to do covert operations right? And also a definite would be water tames. Like real ones. Even a dolphin or whale would be fine. Doesn’t even need to be a combat tame(until later). Just a transport tame.

i said please.

7 minutes ago, Realist said:

If anyone has a problem with it then don’t worry boomer, just, “hold my beer” 😂

See above

7 minutes ago, 6Xero9 said:

See above

Ah guess you aren’t familiar with ark. That isn’t your fault man and I won’t be insulting at all either way. Once a cryopod/ship in a bottle(atlas) gets deployed it has summoning sickness for a specific amount of time. During that time even a mythical galleon could be taken out very easily with no defense whatsoever(penalty for using a cryopod/ship in a bottle). 

That easily did away with the whole fleet in a second ide in ark.

it was actually a very simple fix that was added.

meaning even if you were a mega and for some reason I got on at the right time I could one shot all of your galleons because of the summoning sickness. Sounds fair to me 👍

I don't think the ship configuration variety is an issue to be honest

That's also just numbers stored in a database.

I do see a griefing opportunity though, 10 players grab 10 ships in a bottle each and poof your harbour has a hundred ships in it.

Edited by Badkebab

1 hour ago, Realist said:

meaning even if you were a mega and for some reason I got on at the right time I could one shot all of your galleons because of the summoning sickness. Sounds fair to me

Not the reason I was bringing it up, it's the fact that the rendering from numerous ships popping out of nowhere would cause issues.

15 minutes ago, Badkebab said:

Each piece on a ship has stats, a potential color scheme, and again, configuration in how they're put on.

Which is still just numbers in already stored in a database, it can be as simple as adding a switch "IsPresentinWorld=0" so it is neither rendered nor collidable.

I can see situations resulting in a client or server meltdown when someone unpacks their fleet.

Further problems someone packs a fleet on a ship sails to your port, players fast travel there and you have dozens of ships in your face with no warning. So any ships in bottles would. Require a hefty unpack time

Edited by Badkebab

4 hours ago, Badkebab said:

I do see a griefing opportunity though, 10 players grab 10 ships in a bottle each and poof your harbour has a hundred ships in it.

Couple reasons this wouldn’t be a problem: 100 galleons would require 600 crew just to man the sails. That’s not counting a single gun. The issue of crew alone solves the problem of taking ships in a bottle elsewhere to grief other players. Also, if another company has 100 players to captain all those ships, the only thing this scenario gains them is the element of surprise. If they didn’t have the bottle, they would just sail all those ships to your base and face roll you.

What exactly would you do to stop them assuming for some reason you knew they were coming before all those ships hit render range of your base (doubtful)? Being able to put the ship in the bottle would really only gain you the surprise advantage from render range to at your base. A cool down from being pulled out could nullify that. Also personal and company limits on the number of ships that can be uncorked within a given time period could also mitigate this.

If the crew can’t be put in the bottle with the ship this would have the practical effect of nullifying the pull it out for a quick strike problem because you’d have to take the time to assign crew to stations.

• Like 1

As I mentioned significant limits would have to be put in place the griefing potential is huge
Obviously the pvp potential is less so but the galleon carrys 59 crew if I recall

So a galleon carrying 59 crew and 5 ships in a bottle still gives the potential for serious pop up firepower. This feature should be considered from all angles with an eye to "how can this be abused or go horribly wrong" because the is how players will look at it

4 hours ago, Badkebab said:

As I mentioned significant limits would have to be put in place the griefing potential is huge
Obviously the pvp potential is less so but the galleon carrys 59 crew if I recall

So a galleon carrying 59 crew and 5 ships in a bottle still gives the potential for serious pop up firepower. This feature should be considered from all angles with an eye to "how can this be abused or go horribly wrong" because the is how players will look at it

I agree that it definitely needs to be looked over carefully, but the summoning sickness Realist mentioned from Ark has worked well there, so the basic concept is field tested. I also feel like if crew can’t be bottled with the ship, the need to have the crew on hand and then assign them to stations before the ship is battle ready would go a long way to limiting the abuse potential. Still this is one of those things where you can’t be too careful.

Thinking it over, I can see some jack hole on pve uncorking a galleon in the middle of your inland catfish pond just to be a douche and ruin the view from your fave chill out spot. Measures would have to be put in place.

15 hours ago, Realist said:

There is no holes in this. I love this. If anyone has a problem with it then don’t worry boomer, just, “hold my beer” 😂

loving where you are going with the cryopod/underwater cave idea. 

Once again people, there is not problem with elaborating on anything. Please realize that.

—————————————————————

we already know tek is here by the sub/torpedo. It is not only happening but it has happened. Too late now. But now it is time to improve on it.

sky fortress? Underwater bases? That isn’t even tek. The simple fact is that they need more variety. 

P.s. please bring flier tames. Airships are cool but we need fliers to do covert operations right? And also a definite would be water tames. Like real ones. Even a dolphin or whale would be fine. Doesn’t even need to be a combat tame(until later). Just a transport tame.

i said please.

i have a problem with this: that i dont have a beer 😞

• Like 1

I don’t know the details on how Atlas handles ships, but given that they’re able to travel between servers intact there should be a way for them to allow ships in a bottle.

The details that would need to be worked out are the crew and resources. I was thinking that they could have something like “creature crystals”, an Atlas version of cryopods. They could require Mythos to make, and the fridge could run from Mythos as well.

Resources, it could be as simple as anything left on the ship when put in the bottle would be placed in a flotsam where the ship was. They would then have to be picked up or they’re gone. They cross the border with the ship, but having everything contained in the bottle with the ship would be too easy to exploit. One schooner carrying a few galleons to load up with resources, then bottle them all up to take back solo? Nope. Resources would have to be carried outside of the bottle.

Even if you kept crew in the cryopods, you can only release one every 5 minutes. Releasing a galleon with cannons and crewing it would take quite a while. Probably quicker to just sail it straight there.

On a side note concerning water tames, I do expect them to come and be expanded on. I haven’t looked recently, but for crop plots “flesh” was listed as one of the options to base them on, so I think whale taming with the ability to build on them could be coming. Now I’m just picturing using ballista to wear the whale down, and at 10% it turning to flee and needing you to harpoon it with a galleon to hold it for taming. That would be pretty interesting.

If they could bring some of the convenience of the cryopods to Atlas, I think that would help a lot of players out. And underwater pirate bases are a thing that must be allowed to happen!

I really like this idea.

If the devs do not, then let's hope a talented modder does.

This could also work as some sort of quest.

Some cool legend that talks about a special ship in a bottle that can be found if x, y ,z has been done.

Edited by Gfrannic

4 minutes ago, Gfrannic said:

I really like this idea.

If the devs do not, then let's hope a talented modder does.

This could also work as some sort of quest.

Some cool legend that talks about a special ship in a bottle that can be found if x, y ,z has been done.

The same functionality in Ark was first developed by a modder. Unlocking it with a quest would be a cool way to do it imo.

3 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

The same functionality in Ark was first developed by a modder. Unlocking it with a quest would be a cool way to do it imo.

I agree, but all I can think of is it being a basic fetch quest of delivering 20 fiber to some random NPC 2 grids away, and Talono coming on here and complaining about ships in bottles being only for mega companies because it's gated content...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Kidori said:

I agree, but all I can think of is it being a basic fetch quest of delivering 20 fiber to some random NPC 2 grids away, and Talono coming on here and complaining about ships in bottles being only for mega companies because it's gated content...

Well...yeah?

Thats the whole point right?

I gotta have *some* entertainment.