Sign in to follow this  
Realist

Yep, underwater caves

5 minutes ago, DeliaHaze20 said:

what does have higher quality gear have to do with building in an underwater cave? and yes can have a main base in the cave we did that in ark and are you aware that atlas was supposed to be an ark DLC?

Do you have Atlas? If so, you should be aware of the annoyance of having to gather all the different types of materials needed for higher quality gear, You also need a decent amount of said materials for an entire ship to get upgraded, that and the pieces can be rather bulky, this equates to wanting a shorter travel distance for crafting the pieces and bringing them to the shipyard. 

And since you'd already have a place for tames, ships, shipyards and farms above ground, storing materials in the cave would just be more of an annoyance than anything really.

6 minutes ago, 6Xero9 said:

Do you have Atlas? If so, you should be aware of the annoyance of having to gather all the different types of materials needed for higher quality gear, You also need a decent amount of said materials for an entire ship to get upgraded, that and the pieces can be rather bulky, this equates to wanting a shorter travel distance for crafting the pieces and bringing them to the shipyard. 

And since you'd already have a place for tames, ships, shipyards and farms above ground, storing materials in the cave would just be more of an annoyance than anything really.

yes I do have atlas obviously and I have crabs so bringing materials to the cave is not a problem for me but still, what do you mean by higher quality? I am not seeing your logic here

I am talking about make a base in the underwater cave. and I know about the amount of materials needed for good blueprints but I am not talking about that i am talking about the underwater cave not making ships.

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

Realist what he’s saying you do have the background to understand from Ark. you can build a base in that mushroom cave all day long, I did. But you still need bred Rexes to do the boss fights and you can’t keep them in that cave so you still need a land base.  There is more to it but for simplicity sake what he’s saying is that unless you’re going to not have ships (at which point why are you even playing Atlas?), basing underwater won’t solve the need to build something to protect your ships, so you’re back to square one. This is what my suggestion is attempting to address.

Well I am mainly waiting for water tames(which I am sure we will at least get one).

but no, I bred all of my fliers and boss rexes in my cave. You should have seen it, it was awesome. All I needed was a tek teleporter.  The alpha I was with let me do what ever the hell I want down there as long as something good came back up.

yeah I had a turret wall that covered that huge entrance. Used normal generators as well just made sure they were above water in the cave. Plus the ungodly amount of turrets and xspecies at the waters edge.

i actually really liked breeding mosas. I had a single raft which was directly above the opening as a reference point for others. They would then go do the meat run and let me know when they arrived at the raft. I would bring one of my mosas to the surface and transfer all of the meat.

i spent at least a good week down in the cave without seeing daylight except to come up to the surface for supplies.

so yes, it might be true that a solo being down there wouldn’t be feasible. However, I don’t need a ship. I just need people to float above and give me supplies.

this actually brings me to the whole economy thing. If the rest of my company is above water and makes a trade, I can actually have a trade company(a different company) float above my location until I bring the sub(or water tame) to the surface.

this makes them happy because they can successfully trade. It makes me happy because I am not bothered by something other than what I am working on.

sure atlas is different, but with enough people I am pretty sure I will do whatever I did on ark in the same fashion(which is what I plan to do). I am not sailing for a long distance. They people that like to do that can do that.

i will build my company their base and then I will go tame and breed. They can worry about upkeep. 

I have said numerous times what I don’t like about this game. Those are the things I will simply not do. Others can worry about that. I guarantee I will do the same thing I did on ark. Please don’t say “then why bother” my only answer to that will be that this is a new ark map to me. I always play the new map and this will be a new surrounding, but yes, I will be playing atlas like it was ark.

mass taming, mass breeding, mass building. I don’t really see the difference 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 6Xero9 said:

You don't have the game from what I remember, so you don't have any first hand experience on what is needed to build higher quality gear.

Dude, it’s a game and I am a grinder. I am also not a solo player lol.

it doesn’t matter what game I play, I will surpass at it. My buddy and I started on Conan and after a week of seeing what we built they invited us to the tribe.

same thing with ark. That is why I was in so many big tribes. Our “farm” was basically a huge depot and our base was over 100x100. Vaults filled with every single resource. A mega cane and raided us because they thought we were the alpha on the server(this is when it was just the two of us). After they raided us they asked us to join but that time I said “piss off” because that was just bad form and bad manners. 

I would never join anyone that I got raided by. You can ask before but don’t bother asking later.

people act like atlas is special. It’s not. It’s not different than any other game. I will need to figure out a few things(that won’t take that long) but once I do it is business as usual. This isn’t a ground breaking new game. It is pretty much ark and once the new mechanics are figured out, i will make it ark.

the whole “you don’t play the game” thing is getting a little pathetic now lol it is a game. Even someone that is retarded can figure it out(not making fun of retarded people). Believe me most gamers are worse 😂

i think people might just feel special inside the game so they also feel special outside of the game because of that. I sure hope not because you seem to think your opinion of someone you never met is special. Smh

4 minutes ago, Realist said:

mass taming, mass breeding, mass building. I don’t really see the difference 

You will once you're in.

Mass taming and breeding has more of a place in Ark. Although if there is a decent population to trade with, you could conceivably fill the niche you're looking for by trading bred tames for things you want/need.  But honestly, if you're not interested in sailing a ship around, I'm not sure why you would bother playing Atlas instead of just staying on Ark. Atlas has fewer kinds of tames and they are of a more vanilla variety than Ark's. Since they have fewer specialized roles to fill, the value of min/maxed bred tames is diminished compared to the same in Ark.

I hope you're aware that Atlas's current player level cap is 150, but leveling beyond 52 requires not just xp but discovery points, most of which are acquired by sailing to many many many different places all over the map.  To give you an idea, per a table in the wiki, hitting level 150 requires 3899 discovery points in addition to xp. Each discovery point you locate in the game world is worth two of those points. Quests can be worth more, but there are currently a pretty limited number of quests. Essentially if you have any desire to level beyond a third of the way to the cap, sailing around the map isn't really optional.

8 minutes ago, Realist said:

Dude, it’s a game and I am a grinder. I am also not a solo player lol.

it doesn’t matter what game I play, I will surpass at it. My buddy and I started on Conan and after a week of seeing what we built they invited us to the tribe.

same thing with ark. That is why I was in so many big tribes. Our “farm” was basically a huge depot and our base was over 100x100. Vaults filled with every single resource. A mega cane and raided us because they thought we were the alpha on the server(this is when it was just the two of us). After they raided us they asked us to join but that time I said “piss off” because that was just bad form and bad manners. 

I would never join anyone that I got raided by. You can ask before but don’t bother asking later.

people act like atlas is special. It’s not. It’s not different than any other game. I will need to figure out a few things(that won’t take that long) but once I do it is business as usual. This isn’t a ground breaking new game. It is pretty much ark and once the new mechanics are figured out, i will make it ark.

the whole “you don’t play the game” thing is getting a little pathetic now lol it is a game. Even someone that is retarded can figure it out(not making fun of retarded people). Believe me most gamers are worse 😂

i think people might just feel special inside the game so they also feel special outside of the game because of that. I sure hope not because you seem to think your opinion of someone you never met is special. Smh

oikay, it's just a game, and you know I'm pretty fair minded, but over the course of the 7 months, you have said many things that make it plain your understanding of how Atlas works looking in from the outside is not nearly as good as you think. I do think that once you are in the game you will figure it out in pretty short order, there are certain fundamentals to nearly all MMO's, but I think you're going to also have a realization that Atlas is not as much of an Ark clone as you have continually claimed it is. It has plenty in common with Ark sure, but there are also some key differences that I think you're going to have to adjust to more than you currently expect. The example I provided in my last post of how leveling is different is just one of them.

Edited by boomervoncannon

2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

You will once you're in.

Mass taming and breeding has more of a place in Ark. Although if there is a decent population to trade with, you could conceivably fill the niche you're looking for by trading bred tames for things you want/need.  But honestly, if you're not interested in sailing a ship around, I'm not sure why you would bother playing Atlas instead of just staying on Ark. Atlas has fewer kinds of tames and they are of a more vanilla variety than Ark's. Since they have fewer specialized roles to fill, the value of min/maxed bred tames is diminished compared to the same in Ark.

I hope you're aware that Atlas's current player level cap is 150, but leveling beyond 52 requires not just xp but discovery points, most of which are acquired by sailing to many many many different places all over the map.  To give you an idea, per a table in the wiki, hitting level 150 requires 3899 discovery points in addition to xp. Each discovery point you locate in the game world is worth two of those points. Quests can be worth more, but there are currently a pretty limited number of quests. Essentially if you have any desire to level beyond a third of the way to the cap, sailing around the map isn't really optional.

I have already tried to tell you a few times boomer. My buddies are going to play it so I am going to play it. Even if I don’t like it.

i very easily have ways of them doing the sailing and I just do what I do on ark. It shouldn’t be that hard to see that. You have mega company it’s right? Does every single member sail around? Nah, I am pretty sure they don’t.

and yes, as far as discovery points go, I have said in the past I will sail to all of the islands to get the exp but I won’t be returning ever again unless I need a specific resource. I am a grinder boomer. The whole map is of no interest to me or the size of it. I will level up as fast as I can.

for instance, if there is an island I haven’t gone to and someone in my company needs to go there(for some reason). I will plop my body on the ship and then go run the errands I need to do. Once I get back I will go get whatever point I need to get the exp. 

this will be a very simple situation. I don’t sit and enjoy the views. I go and level up and then I build. That is just what I do. My normal life is very hectic so when I play a video game I “actually can” spend 8 hours just hitting a rock and live it because I am talking to my buddies.

i know you haven’t met me and I know you don’t do preconceived notions about people so I am letting you know right now. I will “always” turn something into what I want it to be by any means necessary.

2 minutes ago, Realist said:

I have already tried to tell you a few times boomer. My buddies are going to play it so I am going to play it. Even if I don’t like it.

i very easily have ways of them doing the sailing and I just do what I do on ark. It shouldn’t be that hard to see that. You have mega company it’s right? Does every single member sail around? Nah, I am pretty sure they don’t.

and yes, as far as discovery points go, I have said in the past I will sail to all of the islands to get the exp but I won’t be returning ever again unless I need a specific resource. I am a grinder boomer. The whole map is of no interest to me or the size of it. I will level up as fast as I can.

for instance, if there is an island I haven’t gone to and someone in my company needs to go there(for some reason). I will plop my body on the ship and then go run the errands I need to do. Once I get back I will go get whatever point I need to get the exp. 

this will be a very simple situation. I don’t sit and enjoy the views. I go and level up and then I build. That is just what I do. My normal life is very hectic so when I play a video game I “actually can” spend 8 hours just hitting a rock and live it because I am talking to my buddies.

i know you haven’t met me and I know you don’t do preconceived notions about people so I am letting you know right now. I will “always” turn something into what I want it to be by any means necessary.

Right okay, so you're a grinder.  But if all you're going to do is sail around the map once to get the discovery points and then never go back two things:

A) Just doing that alone will take you a lot of time. A lot. It is not just a whistle while you work knock it out in a weekend sort of endeavor, and from the way you're talking it really sounds like that's something you just don't grasp here. It is also something that is very limited in other people's ability to do for you. There are certain things they can do to help, assuming they are willing to carry the load for you in exchange for what you're going to do for them, but no matter what it is still a major investment of time. As fast as you can when you'd rather not be traveling isn't likely to be very fast.

B) I think you're going to be very disappointed once you realize just how much you will have to do of sailing and traveling, which sound like things you don't like, in order to do taming and breeding that as of this point, I strongly suspect you're going to find underwhelming compared to Ark.  Then again your last statement does make it sound like you're someone who has a high ability to adapt to something even if it isn't your most preferred thing because it lets you enjoy time with friends. There's nothing wrong with that at all.  I just think based on what you're saying you may find the game underwhelming when it comes to taming and breeding. On the bright side the building system at it's core is a little better than Ark's, they did refine that a bit. Right now the variety of pieces to build with is underwhelming, but that could change by the time you're able to play.

20 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Right okay, so you're a grinder.  But if all you're going to do is sail around the map once to get the discovery points and then never go back two things:

A) Just doing that alone will take you a lot of time. A lot. It is not just a whistle while you work knock it out in a weekend sort of endeavor, and from the way you're talking it really sounds like that's something you just don't grasp here. It is also something that is very limited in other people's ability to do for you. There are certain things they can do to help, assuming they are willing to carry the load for you in exchange for what you're going to do for them, but no matter what it is still a major investment of time. As fast as you can when you'd rather not be traveling isn't likely to be very fast.

B) I think you're going to be very disappointed once you realize just how much you will have to do of sailing and traveling, which sound like things you don't like, in order to do taming and breeding that as of this point, I strongly suspect you're going to find underwhelming compared to Ark.  Then again your last statement does make it sound like you're someone who has a high ability to adapt to something even if it isn't your most preferred thing because it lets you enjoy time with friends. There's nothing wrong with that at all.  I just think based on what you're saying you may find the game underwhelming when it comes to taming and breeding. On the bright side the building system at it's core is a little better than Ark's, they did refine that a bit. Right now the variety of pieces to build with is underwhelming, but that could change by the time you're able to play.

I won’t be doing it alone. And by that I mean even not my company but the other guys I am friends with or even social to. I won’t be sailing(myself) if someone I know is going somewhere I will hitch a ride. I expect to be in every grid within a week(not me sailing). I have beeen coordinating with every person I know that will buy the game. Most people just want one company which would be fine.

i actually plan on spending doing my time grinding exp for the first week or two and not having any fun whatsoever(hence the grinder). I have no problem with leaving companies and joining companies just to get the points. I do what I need to. The job will get done regardless. I know of over 100 people that will join atlas. Out of those 100, I will join multiple companies just to obtain the goal I want to reach. 

I would do the same for them as well. If my island is by a Freeport they can spawn and I will pick them up. They can leave and join and I will get them the experience points they need on the other side of the map.

there is always a way around something. Not just in a game but in life as well. I have made that the golden standard. “Get what you want”. And I will. Why do think I am here learning as I go? You might give me another little tid bit that I don’t know right now. That will also be helpful.

every little bit of information I get isn’t to improve anything. It is a way to figure out how I don’t have to change something that I want to do. I look for ways to do the same thing I did before. I always find it.

3 hours ago, DeliaHaze20 said:

what does have higher quality gear have to do with building in an underwater cave? and yes can have a main base in the cave we did that in ark and are you aware that atlas was supposed to be an ark DLC? note i tried to delete this.

To the best of my knowledge the notion that Atlas was ever planned as an Ark DLC is entirely player speculation. No one from wildcard or Grapeshot has ever said anything to this effect that I’m aware. It was always planned as a separate game. I think the genesis of this rumor may be the fact that the Atlas trailer was leaked to the Ark steam forums last summer months before the game was even publicly announced.

The fact that Atlas’s game world is many servers linked together in a way that game servers have never been before, or that the animations for Atlas’s water and waves are distinctly different and functionally far more realistic than Ark’s existing water animations strongly suggest to me it was always intended to be its own game.

19 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

To the best of my knowledge the notion that Atlas was ever planned as an Ark DLC is entirely player speculation. No one from wildcard or Grapeshot has ever said anything to this effect that I’m aware. It was always planned as a separate game. I think the genesis of this rumor may be the fact that the Atlas trailer was leaked to the Ark steam forums last summer months before the game was even publicly announced.

The fact that Atlas’s game world is many servers linked together in a way that game servers have never been before, or that the animations for Atlas’s water and waves are distinctly different and functionally far more realistic than Ark’s existing water animations strongly suggest to me it was always intended to be its own game.

I believe the reason that most people think this was an ark dlc, besides the normal reasons, was the fact that since even a year before the official release, players were asking for a “water world” esque map for ark.

i do see the reasoning behind the players and devs at this point. Why make a free/and or 10 dollar map when you could make a new game.

it was actually pretty evident when extinction came out. It was clear they didn’t have the full team working on extinction. We had an expansion that came out way after the full release and yet I let was worse than any other expansion?

yeah they were working on atlas.

20 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

And just for the sake of it. If they were planning a dlc and decided to make it a new game, I am pretty sure they wouldn’t have said it. Follow the shade

13 hours ago, 6Xero9 said:

Except this ain't Ark. No-one would have a main base in an underwater cave unless they don't have any plans to have tames, farms, or ships. 

i would, because...well because i could.

9 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

once you see the skill tree branches you realize that you dont need to have max level to have the most important branches unlocked, actually i stoped leveling at lvl 80 because there was no motivation to keep leveling up due to the unrewarding "time invested vs benefit" relation so i am pretty sure he wont need to invest lots of time in leveling to reach his goals.

Edited by The D Legacy

31 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

once you see the skill tree branches you realize that you dont need to have max level to have the most important branches unlocked, actually i stoped leveling at lvl 80 because there was no motivation to keep leveling up due to the unrewarding "time invested vs benefit" relation so i am pretty sure he wont need to invest lots of time in leveling to reach his goals.

He won’t need to, but he’s a grinder, so he will likely feel the need to. I’m just trying to make him aware that there are mechanics that are meaningfully different from Ark’s because he has been waving a hand from the beginning and saying “It’s Ark” without really understanding how it isn’t.

@Realistif you really want to sit in a cave and build and breed and do nothing else, then yes, I can see how you would be able to warp your Atlas experience into something only marginally different from Ark. I can even respect that you might do so because your friends are playing and you want to share the experience. That would make you a much more loyal friend than most people I know, who are out the minute they feel the faintest whisps of boredom or difficulty.

All I’m asking is that you realize that for the vast majority of Atlas players that is not the experience they want. Many players are seeking a sailing and exploration experience, not mass taming, building and breeding. They aren’t doing so because Atlas was promoted as a Minecraft clone or Ark with elephants, but because it was promoted as a pirate fantasy adventure, and that is a fundamentally different experience than Ark. It is a fundamentally different experience despite some game systems and mechanics having more than passing similarity to Ark’s

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

He won’t need to, but he’s a grinder, so he will likely feel the need to. I’m just trying to make him aware that there are mechanics that are meaningfully different from Ark’s because he has been waving a hand from the beginning and saying “It’s Ark” without really understanding how it isn’t.

@Realistif you really want to sit in a cave and build and breed and do nothing else, then yes, I can see how you would be able to warp your Atlas experience into something only marginally different from Ark. I can even respect that you might do so because your friends are playing and you want to share the experience. That would make you a much more loyal friend than most people I know, who are out the minute they feel the faintest whisps of boredom or difficulty.

All I’m asking is that you realize that for the vast majority of Atlas players that is not the experience they want. Many players are seeking a sailing and exploration experience, not mass taming, building and breeding. They aren’t doing so because Atlas was promoted as a Minecraft clone or Ark with elephants, but because it was promoted as a pirate fantasy adventure, and that is a fundamentally different experience than Ark. It is a fundamentally different experience despite some game systems and mechanics having more than passing similarity to Ark’s

Yeah my loyalty pretty much knows no bounds.

and I do realize that boomer. I would never try to take away anyone’s sailing experience. I don’t want to force them in the cave. But I do want their to be caves. Adding something to the game isnt taking away from it, it’s adding to it. I just want them to give people a chance for other play styles if they want it. So far a few on here want it to. I totally get where you are coming from though.

and I didn’t mean to come off like I just simply won’t ever sail and I am boycotting sailing, but I definitely don’t plan on doing it everyday either. Just because sailing is in the game I won’t let them force me to do it.

I dint think anybody is against the caves. Even if they aren’t liveable they could still be cool adventure areas. It’s just that if they are liveable, they don’t necessarily help with the land issue. My ship in a bottle suggestion is intended to bridge this, but there might be big technical challenges to doing that because data wise Atlas ships are more complex than Ark tames. I guess we’ll see.