seruum

Mega update??

Ok so june 1 was last mega update. The devs said they were going to limit captains logs i understand that but what is happening with the next mega update??? I hear there is a cat, a six shooter and seahorse but no news since. Is this what we are getting or is there more?? I need teasers i need snippets of things to look out for. 2 months is a good time to wait for more info. With not even a msg about August update or anything it's making me think it's not coming this month either.

18 minutes ago, seruum said:

Ok so june 1 was last mega update. The devs said they were going to limit captains logs i understand that but what is happening with the next mega update??? I hear there is a cat, a six shooter and seahorse but no news since. Is this what we are getting or is there more?? I need teasers i need snippets of things to look out for. 2 months is a good time to wait for more info. With not even a msg about August update or anything it's making me think it's not coming this month either.

That is probably all you will get. If you are looking for something big, I am pretty sure it will be at least a couple of months from now.

if they are actually working on crossplay though, I wouldn’t even expect this small update to come anytime soon. They will stop all development on pc and have everything go towards crossplay. 

You gotta remember these guys can’t get an update past Xbox QA without a few tries. Imagine them not only trying to get a whole game through QA but also a crossplay game.

these guys bit off more than they can chew so I would expect nothing spectacular for a loooong time. 

They probably won’t even be able to pull off crossplay anyways, so you will have to be waiting a long time for eventually nothing.

Edited by Realist

37 minutes ago, seruum said:

If case you don't know REALIST, just don't listen to him.

We might have some news about the mega patch and WPE soon. They were working on bugfix of blackwood, that was their priority I guess.
Wait for the next Captain Log 😄 

8 minutes ago, globytheoldpirate said:

If case you don't know REALIST, just don't listen to him.

We might have some news about the mega patch and WPE soon. They were working on bugfix of blackwood, that was their priority I guess.
Wait for the next Captain Log 😄 

Ah cool. Standby to standby. I am used to that. Gotta love being a government worker. Believe me they are just trying to figure out what they want to do.

me as well. I am just trying to get to the 20 year mark. Once I get that I get 2 days vacation a month which is 24 days a year. The best part about it is that I work a 4-10 shift(mon-thurs for 10 hours). So I will actually be getting 6 WEEKS of vacations every year(take that Europe) lol. 

Mind you, that doesn’t include my 1 day a month of sick leave, which will equal to a total of 3 weeks of sick leave every year besides the 6 weeks of my vacation. 

So yeah, they aren’t actually working on what you think they are.

1 hour ago, seruum said:

Imo the best approach to take with updates where Atlas is concerned is don't expect them at any given point. If you do you are likely to be disappointed. Expect them to show up at some point between now and the heat death of the universe, then when they drop you can be pleasantly surprised.  Also your post doesn't mention 2 things that are mentioned directly in the relevant captain's log:

new unique islands and

Asian sail skins.

Ohh im aware of REALIST and he does have some valid points depending on what topic he is speaking on. He is some that one skeptical person every forum needs tbh if you want a pros and cons list on a topic im sure REALIST will be happy to point out any cons. 

More islands are not neaded, we already have too many for the player base. Would be happy with different biome type islands but they didn't go into much detail. 

Skins are not of interest to me i would much prefer something with a function in actual gameplay.

We need some real things to bring back/keep players anf get new players. Things to excite the population. More islands has been done in past 2 updates, people haven't been to all the islands they already have. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, seruum said:

Ohh im aware of REALIST and he does have some valid points depending on what topic he is speaking on. He is some that one skeptical person every forum needs tbh if you want a pros and cons list on a topic im sure REALIST will be happy to point out any cons. 

More islands are not neaded, we already have too many for the player base. Would be happy with different biome type islands but they didn't go into much detail. 

Skins are not of interest to me i would much prefer something with a function in actual gameplay.

We need some real things to bring back/keep players anf get new players. Things to excite the population. More islands has been done in past 2 updates, people haven't been to all the islands they already have. 

Very true on everything. I started gaming way before skins, and I can be the first to honestly say I have literally never used a skin in any of the 100’s of games I played. Seems too much like dress up to me.

you are also correct on the whole adding islands thing. That so also why I recently made the thread of underwater caves that you can actually build in. Sure, some won’t like it but that is all good. You/I/anyone would come up with an idea and I guarantee someone won’t like it lol.

i swear to god that factions would be a success. Even if you don’t agree with me. At least agree that it would be fresh, new and interesting, regardless if it is bad or not.

• Like 1

ok but optimization when??? i loged back in after months of having quit just to find my RAM and GPU being literally devoured by ATLAS. i usually play Black Desert Online, anyone familiar with that game knows how high quality the graphics of that game are, yet it consumes only half of what ATLAS does, puting aside all the design flaws of ATLAS, the technical side is simply horrendous, to the point of becoming unplayable at moments if you have anything else open at the same time. no matter how good the new content they release is, if i cant play it smoothly then that content becomes irrelevant.

4 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

ok but optimization when??? i loged back in after months of having quit just to find my RAM and GPU being literally devoured by ATLAS. i usually play Black Desert Online, anyone familiar with that game knows how high quality the graphics of that game are, yet it consumes only half of what ATLAS does, puting aside all the design flaws of ATLAS, the technical side is simply horrendous, to the point of becoming unplayable at moments if you have anything else open at the same time. no matter how good the new content they release is, if i cant play it smoothly then that content becomes irrelevant.

I can’t recall if you’ve mentioned playing Ark in the past or not, so forgive me if this is redundant to something you already know. Ark started off being easily the most poorly optimized game I’ve ever played. Over the course of its lengthy EA, it got slowly, incrementally better to the point where those without top of the line hardware could hope to play the game at non minimal settings with decent performance. It came a long way from where it started, but to this day it requires better than average hardware to achieve average performance.

I expect Atlas to follow a similar path. If it is useful info for comparison sake I run a GTX1060 6gb at 1920x1080 res, 32 gigs of Ram and an 8700 series cpu and other than the ping 255 issue my performance is fine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I can’t recall if you’ve mentioned playing Ark in the past or not, so forgive me if this is redundant to something you already know. Ark started off being easily the most poorly optimized game I’ve ever played. Over the course of its lengthy EA, it got slowly, incrementally better to the point where those without top of the line hardware could hope to play the game at non minimal settings with decent performance. It came a long way from where it started, but to this day it requires better than average hardware to achieve average performance.

I expect Atlas to follow a similar path. If it is useful info for comparison sake I run a GTX1060 6gb at 1920x1080 res, 32 gigs of Ram and an 8700 series cpu and other than the ping 255 issue my performance is fine.

How long did that took them? (i have never played ark).

imo they kinda started the house from the roof with atlas, they should have never released an early access until they had built an at least half decent product, i do understand the most efficient is to optimize when you have a semi-complete product, but i believe giving priority to customer satisfaction is (specially in this type of cases) a more beneficial move than just waiting for the game to be in a more finished state, even tho people already paid for the game, many will simply never come back when the game is in a somewhat decent state, also it hurts the reputation of early access games overall.

Edited by The D Legacy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The D Legacy said:

Black Desert Online is a "static" world compared to ATLAS or ARK.

1 hour ago, The D Legacy said:

How long did that took them? (i have never played ark).

imo they kinda started the house from the roof with atlas, they should have never released an early access until they had built an at least half decent product, i do understand the most efficient is to optimize when you have a semi-complete product, but i believe giving priority to customer satisfaction is (specially in this type of cases) a more beneficial move than just waiting for the game to be in a more finished state, even tho people already paid for the game, many will simply never come back when the game is in a somewhat decent state, also it hurts the reputation of early access games overall.

Ark’s optimization took place over a period of at least 2 years.

I agree about Early Access because the term is too broad and consumers have no indication of how functional a game they are getting. Where the industry is being penny wise and pound foolish right now imo is the way it is pushing not remotely finished games to EA because it looks like a miracle of turning cost center testing into profit center Early Access. What they’re ignoring is the long term downside to your game’s reputation and bottom line when frustrated gamers quit and badmouth your unfinished product.

Atlas is currently the poster child for this sort of thing, with Satisfactory serving as a contrasting example of what a great Early Access game looks like. Both games were released to EA within 100 days of each other, but one was in a barely alpha state, while the other was felt like a nearly finished game from the word go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

I remember when Ark suddenly came out of EA, sometime after the first DLC, lol...  I was actually shocked that it was coming out of EA because of all the bugs and poor optimization.  I assumed the dev team just said where done working on it and left it half-a$$ optimized.  To date, I think ARK is one of the worst games I have played when it comes to optimization during EA, besides all the abandoned ware in EA titles.  Considering its popularity I always thought it would get better, but it really didn't.

I really don't expect Atlas to get much better than it is right now tbh.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Puppies4ever said:

Black Desert Online is a "static" world compared to ATLAS or ARK.

srry i dont get what you mean by "static"

11 hours ago, sgzeroone said:

I remember when Ark suddenly came out of EA, sometime after the first DLC, lol...  I was actually shocked that it was coming out of EA because of all the bugs and poor optimization.  I assumed the dev team just said where done working on it and left it half-a$$ optimized.  To date, I think ARK is one of the worst games I have played when it comes to optimization during EA, besides all the abandoned ware in EA titles.  Considering its popularity I always thought it would get better, but it really didn't.

I really don't expect Atlas to get much better than it is right now tbh.

Can't say I had the same experience.  Last time I played on a regular basis (right before Atlas launched) it was much, much better than it had been since I first played in November 2015.  To me it seemed most of the improvement happened since full release.  

10 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

Static as in static.  It doesn't change.

10 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

I'm not super familiar with Black Desert Online but most likely it doesn't allow players to build in the non instanced game world. Not many MMO's do that. This is a major factor that makes comparing Black Desert's optimization to Atlas's a very apples to oranges comparison, because it's game world doesn't change at the player's hands. Atlas does.

2 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

I'm not super familiar with Black Desert Online but most likely it doesn't allow players to build in the non instanced game world. Not many MMO's do that. This is a major factor that makes comparing Black Desert's optimization to Atlas's a very apples to oranges comparison, because it's game world doesn't change at the player's hands. Atlas does.

WIKI_Boomer

On 8/2/2019 at 5:10 AM, Realist said:

Ah cool. Standby to standby. I am used to that. Gotta love being a government worker. Believe me they are just trying to figure out what they want to do.

me as well. I am just trying to get to the 20 year mark. Once I get that I get 2 days vacation a month which is 24 days a year. The best part about it is that I work a 4-10 shift(mon-thurs for 10 hours). So I will actually be getting 6 WEEKS of vacations every year(take that Europe) lol. 

Mind you, that doesn’t include my 1 day a month of sick leave, which will equal to a total of 3 weeks of sick leave every year besides the 6 weeks of my vacation. 

So yeah, they aren’t actually working on what you think they are.

Congratulations, 20 years of work to receive what I got from hour 1 day 1.

If it is soon, the next mega update will likely be several QOL fixes and more PvE content since PvE players are the more active user base at the current time.

If it is later, I very likely see the developers implementing a system like the one I described in my "Nations" post, since this would help bring back lost players and cement Atlas as a proper MMO.

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

The usage of CPU And all RAM possible can be fixed by Either Turning off sub surface Scattering or low Level streaming or just by starting Game in low Memory Mode it seems. Talking  about Performance, They Managed That the pc of my Sisters can actually walk around our base with 15. fps which before Used to Crash the Client atleast once while loading in And that is with a gtx 950 And a AMD phenom II . So they definitly made huge increases in Performance imo And also loading into bases with high structure Counts.

3 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

ah! ok, well not sure how that affects the performance in detail but it the end it boils down to rendering stuff doesnt it? also you can build stuff in fornite afaik but they dont seem to have this performance issues, the difference might be that they were smart enough as to use unreal engine 4 as their graphical engine instead of unreal engine 3 (wich is famous for its performance problems) but who knows.

1 hour ago, zottel said:

The usage of CPU And all RAM possible can be fixed by Either Turning off sub surface Scattering or low Level streaming or just by starting Game in low Memory Mode it seems. Talking  about Performance, They Managed That the pc of my Sisters can actually walk around our base with 15. fps which before Used to Crash the Client atleast once while loading in And that is with a gtx 950 And a AMD phenom II . So they definitly made huge increases in Performance imo And also loading into bases with high structure Counts.

Seriously. Performance has been improving in leaps and bounds. With a chinabrand 980 I'm pulling 40 fpson medium at all times. The team is doing SUPER well with preformance

52 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

ah! ok, well not sure how that affects the performance in detail but it the end it boils down to rendering stuff doesnt it? also you can build stuff in fornite afaik but they dont seem to have this performance issues, the difference might be that they were smart enough as to use unreal engine 4 as their graphical engine instead of unreal engine 3 (wich is famous for its performance problems) but who knows.

Ships are the Main fps eaters,as those Things are Moving around with structures etc. On them. They are also the reason we Dont got And new ship types so far as they take so much Memory from Server And Clients. But those also got a large Performance boost. Can remember Kraken fight with 15+ ships was nearly impossible because laggs And now it works Fine with 20+

On 8/2/2019 at 11:31 AM, Puppies4ever said:

Tbh, sail skins.....cats.....seahorse

I dont think that this is enough content until the next "mega update".

Indeed, which is why many are waking up to how poor the game is being developed right now. Many have thrown in the towel, would take some very big changes to turn their heads and bring them back, I don't see it personally.