RipPaw

Ingame Buildings vs Available Mats

I have been playing the game now for 100 hours or so. I am level 80 and have pretty much-unlocked everything needed/wanted to further progress. My issue is the prebuilt buildings that are in ports/in-game. Why aren't we allowed to have the same size pillar or just in general items used to build those buildings? I mean the current wooden/stone pillar is a joke, I don't even want to use them as supports. The game is so awesome and there is so much to do even if you are alone, but not being able to build certain items that are clearly used by you in your videos/posts is damaging to those of us who love that aspect of the game. Here is an example of pillars that are in your builds but not available to us. 

Another great example would be little things like the ledge over the wall between the pillars. That little ledge is not available to us, Why? I have tried to recreate it and no matter what I do it does not work. The hanging bit of a roof over the door? Even the windows, there aren't double windows, you can place an entrance for the door but why can't we place two window latches. It will make it look very similar. Please add more building parts, stone and wooden!

DZvmmiF.png

The short answer is you have joined a game 7 months into a 2 year Early Access development cycle that is struggling with some fundamental design issues, some of which relate directly to where and how players should be allowed to build.

The good news is expansion of building options and greater variety of building pieces is almost certainly coming. The bad news is probably not soon. I am however willing to back that statement with Boomer’s guarantee.*

*Boomer’s guarantee: All predictions wrong or your money back.

• Like 2

The more egregious example in my opinion is our inability to place pillars on the edges/corners of ceilings.

• Like 2

Cant wait for some decoration items 😄 but its more Likely to come now After the last Performance patches i guess,cause those really got some fps out of the PCs 😄

• Like 1

Hello again!

I have decided to update some of the feelings I have towards the building aspect of the game and maybe provide a solution for it.

I am currently at 215 hours and still nowhere near a Kraken fight yet.  🙂

Let talk about stone structures...

First on our list is Stone Fence Support. What a poor design of the actual idea. An example of this would be snapping Fence Support to a foundation and finding out that Stone Wall snaps only to the top part of the Fence Support as if you are placing the wall on the foundation itself (leaving the bottom part of the Fence Support empty. I understand that some prefer it snapping that way and then end up placing another wall below the above one. The issue, in my opinion, is the fact that the actual support wall is the first one that is snapped to the Fence Support. Do you know why this is a problem? Because when you build massive structures and decide to replace a wall with a window, you no longer know what wall acts as a support for the ones above it. The fact is, removing the first snapped wall to the Fence Support will destroy at least one placed below it and lots of times destroy the ones placed above it also. 

The game is meant to be a PVP game with a massive multiplayer base to help each other become better and progress through it. Playing this game as a PVE is just as fun don't get me wrong but since lots of PVE players mostly build, build and build, the building aspect of the game needs to be improved. I am not arguing the point that it should be in the game right now but arguing the point that items already in the game need work before new things get released. You came out with a broken vehicle and instead of fixing parts of the vehicle that are already broken, you are adding more broken parts. 

Today while reading through some of the comments on the forums I stumbled across  Boomer’s post about 

WHY EVERYONE WHO CARES ABOUT ATLAS SHOULD HAVE A CLOSE LOOK AT NO MAN'S SKY

What a great post. The game developers knew the game was dying and that something needed to be done to resurrect it, and guess what? they have done it. There are on average 2 times more people playing No Man's Sky than Atlas. Yes, the game and certain aspects of the world/planets of NMS are not as breathtaking as Atlas Islands but the game is actually worth playing. I think it is enough of rambling and time to introduce solutions to what other players want out of the game by reading what the players are saying. 

I have come across multiple threads advising on how to resolve the snapping points/placements of certain items. You have a great system going reference snapping points using "E" key and rotating between items using the "T" key but something is still missing. Yes, PILLARS. Adding small snapping boxes to the corners of the ceilings and foundations will allow folks to place these skinny pillars away from the center.  Something like this tWQHDKo.png

The other idea is allowing you to actually drag the direction arrows while holding the item you want to place. This will not apply to all items but for a foundation, for example, it would do wonders. Prior to placing the first foundation, one would be able to place it at its max height, causing others to fall in line with it (keeping the design on the foundations all the same). Stop overthinking and allow us to use similar triangles that are used for the ceilings and foundation but for the walls. You have it already, why do you limit it to foundations and ceilings??? 

Anyways enough for now.

I will leave you with this, this is a survival GAME, nothing about it is actually real. Aspects of the game are similar to the actual life but 95% of the game is not.  I am sure someone out there would say, "Hey Paw! If you place a pillar in the corner it would make it impossible to support due to weight balancing." My reply to that would be to look at the other game mechanics before you complain about the support system. A great example of it would be the scenario from Fence Support mentioned at the beginning.

Edited by RipPaw

Personally, I'd like to know why the walls can't snap into the ground like foundations and pillars.

Actually, let me take a step back. Your absolutely right about those columns. The appearance of them is appalling. Worse, due to the single option snap point they are not nearly as effective as they should be.

Back to the walls, when I build a wall down into a hill I would very much expect it to seal into the ground exactly like a foundation or a column would. as it is, it is very difficult to form fit slopes. 

• Like 1

You can get pillars on the corners, it's not structural but you can get them to line up.

FD70CE007B16954D32FB739414D8DA699E76295B

Place a foundation, or use existing one. (must have a clear edge).

Snap a fence foundation sticking out from one corner.

You can now snap a pillar onto the foundation corner 90 degrees from the fence foundation.

Once that pillar is in place you can use that pillars snap locations to place any others.

The dock in the image is actually held up by centre placed pillars, look closely and you can see a few.

Edited by Jack Shandy
  • Like 1

That looks awesome but it's not practical, and I am sure this took a lot of time. I understand that we are expected to come up with our own designs and ideas but we shouldn't have to. 🙂

I have asked about structures in the Q&A thread.  I think that a game needs to have all their basic game functions down before even trying the fancy stuff and structures is at the top of that basic list. We don't even have windows for our windowed walls and the silly looking jigsaw puzzle edges are just weird. 
They need to start over and get the basic game stuff down and then they can try all the fancy stuff. 

I have heard "We will just let the modders figure that out" but having THAT frame of mind is a sure way to let a AAA game become a C+ game at best. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 4:01 PM, Zadira said:

I have asked about structures in the Q&A thread.  I think that a game needs to have all their basic game functions down before even trying the fancy stuff and structures is at the top of that basic list. We don't even have windows for our windowed walls and the silly looking jigsaw puzzle edges are just weird. 
They need to start over and get the basic game stuff down and then they can try all the fancy stuff. 

I have heard "We will just let the modders figure that out" but having THAT frame of mind is a sure way to let a AAA game become a C+ game at best. 

Very true. I mean comparing to ARK, they have most definitely improved. Also, I think that C+ is too generous of you 😉  My server defeated the Kraken yesterday, 08/25/2019 and after claiming a crab, I am back to building again.

76tVSaX.jpg 

• Like 1