Badkebab

What makes you feel like no longer playing atlas.

a) Atlas is infested by hackers. Wallhackers, teleporters and flying pople with bullseye 5km headshot ability roam all over the seas

b) Atlas is rewarding submission instead of skill. Every authistic kid able to hold a wooden pick but who is member of some megatribe is level100+ with mythical weapons, ships, subs and loot. I am just level 53 as solo Player and have no more chance as a snowball in hell against one of these guys.

c) death teleport. No effort needed to raid someone, just a mass of naked players with beds and grenades.

d) STONE as highest tier building material is a joke. About 20 cannonballs or grenades. Huge Stone walls are a joke. One broadside of a sloop (or a raft) = game over

e) Defense is not possible. Playing smart and using exploits works..and only that works ! Building a superfortress that takes months to build is full fail... 5 minutes of work for a megatribe.

Edited by Talono
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Realist said:

i am pretty sure he meant me 😂 you do have a really good point though. If I had my way there would be factions already lol. Guess they haven’t gotten hindered too much.

Not you guys.

I'm talking about the players that seem to think their enjoyment will come to a screeching halt if we made X change that wouldn't actually effect them.

Or the players on Reddit who whinged and whinged about mega companies... and look what happened. Mega companies got killed off so did the population... AS PREDICTED.

Players who whinged and whinged about other people getting their stuff when they abandoned their base on PvE; so now we can't decay demolish or raize.

1 hour ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Mega companies got killed off so did the population... AS PREDICTED.

I beg to differ.

Mega corporations did not "get killed off". Nothing has been done to weaken mega corps in any way shape or form, ever.

The one sole reason why they have mostly vanished is that nobody is willing to provide "content" to them by repeatedly dying over and over and handing over all their possessions any more.

Mega corps are dying out because they can't find any victims any more, because nobody keeps playing under these conditions.

No more people = no more victims. No more victims = frustrated mega corps = more people leaving.

If we had fair ground so that small corps could have a reason to exist in the game other than to provide raiding targets for the megas, maybe there would be fewer people leaving.

But given their track record, grapecard probably can't be arsed to even think about doing anything remotely reasonable regarding balance issues.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Not you guys.

I'm talking about the players that seem to think their enjoyment will come to a screeching halt if we made X change that wouldn't actually effect them.

Or the players on Reddit who whinged and whinged about mega companies... and look what happened. Mega companies got killed off so did the population... AS PREDICTED.

Players who whinged and whinged about other people getting their stuff when they abandoned their base on PvE; so now we can't decay demolish or raize.

I think the problem with the examples you’re citing or are almost any examples you could cite is one of observation bias. Given how gamers are inclined to whinge about anything and everything, you can probably take any change made to the game and find some number of players who vocally whinged about it before it was changed. Correlation is not causation. This is not evidence that the changes were made in reaction to the whinging.

Moreover I agree with user1 that in the case of Megas, nothing was actively done to bring about their decline, it was an organic development in reaction to an eroding playerbase overall. To the extent that Megas exist to prey on other players, when their natural  prey evaporates, so do they.  If lions on the Serengeti hunt zebras into near non existence and the few remaining move to somewhere they won’t be lonely targets, lion prides will also become scarce, but it won’t have been because of anything game wardens did.

The chief difference between lions and pvp mega clan members is that the lions won’t cluelessly post to message boards complaining that the Serengeti is lame and the game wardens should all be fired,  blindly oblivious that their own behavior was a key factor in the disappearance of zebras and their own downfall. Lions are smarter than that.

Note that all of this is independent from whether the game wardens are good at their job.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Moreover I agree with user1 that in the case of Megas, nothing was actively done to bring about their decline, it was an organic development in reaction to an eroding playerbase overall. To the extent that Megas exist to prey on other players, when their natural  prey evaporates, so do they.  If lions on the Serengeti hunt zebras into near non existence and the few remaining move to somewhere they won’t be lonely targets, lion prides will also become scarce, but it won’t have been because of anything game wardens did.

Uhhh... no. It has NOTHING to do with disappearing "bobs."

The decline directly correlates with the decline of mega-companies. In my entire time in a mega company I never once saw anyone who wasn't a rival get "preyed" on. It would be a waste of resources. It's really hyperbolic to say that its because lowbies disappeared (as if they have anything to offer a 100 man strong guild.) We lost a HUGE amount of players because of the  change to group limits and alliances. Torpedos were the death blow. Worse, right after torps came out, Dollie also, inadvertently killed a portion of the playerbase when she left/blocked a chat that was meant for the mega clans to talk directly to the devs; this was the last straw for No No No... their entire clan left after that. Put this "megas prey on lowbies" delusion to bed already; all of the ape-like behavior on lawless is from other small groups. Large groups got totally fucked by recent updates; because bobs complained, ones who still quit anyway.

• Confused 2

36 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Uhhh... no. It has NOTHING to do with disappearing "bobs."

The decline directly correlates with the decline of mega-companies. In my entire time in a mega company I never once saw anyone who wasn't a rival get "preyed" on. It would be a waste of resources. It's really hyperbolic to say that its because lowbies disappeared (as if they have anything to offer a 100 man strong guild.) We lost a HUGE amount of players because of the  change to group limits and alliances. Torpedos were the death blow. Worse, right after torps came out, Dollie also, inadvertently killed a portion of the playerbase when she left/blocked a chat that was meant for the mega clans to talk directly to the devs; this was the last straw for No No No... their entire clan left after that. Put this "megas prey on lowbies" delusion to bed already; all of the ape-like behavior on lawless is from other small groups. Large groups got totally fucked by recent updates; because bobs complained, ones who still quit anyway.

A) just because the ones you were a part of didn’t do it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Chinese/Russian mega clans in particular have been notorious from day one for swarming everything in their path like locusts, not just “picking on people their own size” Please do not try to tell me it wasn’t a problem based on your own personal assertions of the way your company behaved. Since launch it would not be an exaggeration to say I have spoken to players or read posts that directly contradict your assertion here over 100 times. It is your word against theirs. Put yourself in my place, you hear 100 plus times of people ticked because some mega steamrolled their small outfit, then one guy who was a part of multiple Megas says “Nope, that’s not the way it was. Ever.” How foolish would I have to be to believe the one guy after months of statements to the contrary from all directions?

As far as the waste of resources argument, I would argue it actually cuts the other way. It is the small outfits with limited resources that must weigh the cost benefits of every war. Megas with their mega manpower are far more likely to have resources to burn. It is why large organizations are almost invariably less efficient than small ones. There is more room for waste, in this case facerolling somebody just for lulz.

B) If an entire large company left the game because they lost the ability to speak directly to the devs via ingame chat channel, I have two responses to that, first “cry me a @##$&ing river”. I never had that option. Secondly if their response to the loss of their super special decoder ring access to the man behind the curtain is to take their ball and go home...good riddance.

I realize this sounds harsh because these were people you likely considered friends, but based solely on your statements here, their behavior does not strike me as remotely mature. They quit because they lost special access other players don’t have? Forgive me if they don’t sound like the kind of people I’m going to have a lot of sympathy for or mourn their absence.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

A) just because the ones you were a part of didn’t do it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Chinese/Russian mega clans in particular have been notorious from day one for swarming everything in their path like locusts, not just “picking on people their own size” Please do not try to tell me it wasn’t a problem based on your own personal assertions of the way your company behaved. Since launch it would not be an exaggeration to say I have spoken to players or read posts that directly contradict your assertion here over 100 times. It is your word against theirs. Put yourself in my place, you hear 100 plus times of people ticked because some mega steamrolled their small outfit, then one guy who was a part of multiple Megas says “Nope, that’s not the way it was. Ever.” How foolish would I have to be to believe the one guy after months of statements to the contrary from all directions?

Alright first of all... you're right. The mongol hordes did run lots of lowbies off, but thats why American megaclans started winning the map. Look at TC. Those dudes CRUSH everyone.

I can see them driving off all the smaller players, yes... but most of the time those players come back or opt for PvE. The issue is that the changes to competitive aspects scared off the megas. I've been in a few, still talk to people who ran them. The torpedo killed the game. Literally. Look at the drop off the day that thing got released.

I do think SEA needs its own server.

As far as the waste of resources argument, I would argue it actually cuts the other way. It is the small outfits with limited resources that must weigh the cost benefits of every war. Megas with their mega manpower are far more likely to have resources to burn. It is why large organizations are almost invariably less efficient than small ones. There is more room for waste, in this case facerolling somebody just for lulz.

I mean, getting a ship blapped randomly is one thing, its a pirate game... its what we signed up for.

Where it hurts is base raids, and thats why its actually a huge waste for megas to raid lowbies. What is the point in wasting my time for a meager amount of resources if there are 55 people at home farming 24/7??

B) If an entire large company left the game because they lost the ability to speak directly to the devs via ingame chat channel, I have two responses to that, first “cry me a @##$&ing river”. I never had that option. Secondly if their response to the loss of their super special decoder ring access to the man behind the curtain is to take their ball and go home...good riddance.

I realize this sounds harsh because these were people you likely considered friends, but based solely on your statements here, their behavior does not strike me as remotely mature. They quit because they lost special access other players don’t have? Forgive me if they don’t sound like the kind of people I’m going to have a lot of sympathy for or mourn their absence. 

That's a really lousy way to look at it.  These were players who were upset at losing thousands of ships in minutes to a bad change. This was a chat set up by the devs to address concerns, Dollie left the chat as a result of people expressing their concerns (although I would have too).

Let's put it this way:

You know that survey McDonalds puts on their receipts?

Now imagine if you filled that out, you went to the restaurant, hand them the code for your burger... and then teller for no reason at all... clocks out and kicks you out of the store.That's how it felt to those players.

THAT BEING SAID, Considering it was No No No, I am sure they were being extra salty toxic buttholes about it... and Dollie was too stressed to handle it, nor should she put up with it.

But... the fact is, it resulted in the loss of 200 or so players.

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

On 8/1/2019 at 4:56 PM, Ibbette said:

No real reward for stuff.  Blueprints are great, but it's like, hey you beat that high level sotd, now go farm 50 islands on opposite ends of the map to be able use anything you got.  There should be actual items in some of the drops, coupled with BPs, that'd be awesome.

And just in general, the journey is fun, the reward for the journey isn't, I've climbed so many mountains just to find normal wood and berries at the top, I want to find rarer resources at the tops of mountains, or a little village to explore, not just 3 pigs and tons of poop.  Or the alphas dropping normal resources, why not loot, I might enjoy them then.

^This and everything that USER1 wrote in both of his posts.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

THAT BEING SAID, Considering it was No No No, I am sure they were being extra salty toxic buttholes about it... and Dollie was too stressed to handle it, nor should she put up with it.

FOLLOW UP, Man... I guess this actually backs up what I said earlier. Other players make me want to quit. Look at the toxicty toward the devs on Reddit!

Holy shit, talk about shooting yourselves in the foot.

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

4 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Alright first of all... you're right. The mongol hordes did run lots of lowbies off, but thats why American megaclans started winning the map. Look at TC. Those dudes CRUSH everyone.

I can see them driving off all the smaller players, yes... but most of the time those players come back or opt for PvE. The issue is that the changes to competitive aspects scared off the megas. I've been in a few, still talk to people who ran them. The torpedo killed the game. Literally. Look at the drop off the day that thing got released.

I do think SEA needs its own server.

I mean, getting a ship blapped randomly is one thing, its a pirate game... its what we signed up for.

Where it hurts is base raids, and thats why its actually a huge waste for megas to raid lowbies. What is the point in wasting my time for a meager amount of resources if there are 55 people at home farming 24/7??

That's a really lousy way to look at it.  These were players who were upset at losing thousands of ships in minutes to a bad change. This was a chat set up by the devs to address concerns, Dollie left the chat as a result of people expressing their concerns (although I would have too).

Let's put it this way:

You know that survey McDonalds puts on their receipts?

Now imagine if you filled that out, you went to the restaurant, hand them the code for your burger... and then teller for no reason at all... clocks out and kicks you out of the store.That's how it felt to those players.

I'm perfectly willing to accept the notion that torpedoes were a bad idea as implemented and were a major factor in pvp mega company drop off in participation. I just rarely am willing to subscribe to any theory of why activity in an MMO waxes or wanes that is dependent on any single factor. These are complex social ecosystems with many moving parts. 

What I'm basing my lion/zabra analogy upon is 15 years experience with MMO's that have both pvp and pve elements, wherein some aggressive (not all, I've played Ark and any number of games with well organized highly skilled pvp clans looking for a challenge not a rollover) pvpers enjoy preying upon weaker targets. When the supply of weaker targets dries up because they tire of getting facerolled (often moving to pve to get away from asshattery), these short attention span nincompoops tend to vanish like a fart in the wind shortly afterwards. If they leave any evidence of their passing it is usually in the form of poorly written screeds bashing anything and everything they can think of on the forums before announcing to an audience glad to see them go that they're out.

During Atlas's first few months all indications from both the forums and ingame conversations with players migrating from pvp servers was that this time worn pattern was (unsurprisingly) repeating itself. What I'm hearing from you is that beyond this, many of what I would regard as the more legitimate pvp clans were still standing, but were subsequently driven off by the torpedo thing. Does that sound like a fair assessment?

I still don't have any sympathy for the chat channel thing. When you reframe their gripe as a beef about ingame developments, I'm willing to look at that with a more sympathetic ear, but all I had to go on before was your statement they quit because they lost the channel.  That sounds childish and churlish.  On the other hand, people being upset because of a game inbalance that penalizes defense and causes them to repeatedly lose large amounts of time and effort invested with no end in sight, and then quitting because their communication pipeline to the developers appears to turn a deaf ear, that's something I can find far more understandable and have a far greater level of sympathy for.

I think one of the underlying problems in all  of this is the developers, dating back to Ark, have an underlying philosophy of impermanence. When attempting to design a massive game world that allows player building that isn't instanced, this may actually be an imperative rather than just a preference, but that still has to be weighed against player feelings of futility if you make it too easy for their hard work to be destroyed. I'm not saying I could do better and in truth I don't envy the devs this task, it looks tricky if not outright daunting. But if Atlas is ever to succeed, it seems a balance that must be struck.

• Like 2

The massive power gap between players is a tough one for me to swallow.  As a solo player on NA-PvP my gear (Ships, Sails, Planks, Armor, Guns .... etc) just plain cannot compete with anyone who has spent time in a larger clan and is running around with high end blue print gear.  I do get that high end blue print gear should be better/stronger than vanilla gear.  It is the vast difference that gets me.  I get a head shot off and it does 45 damage to someone whos health bar barely moves.  I take a body shot and dead.  Again ...... there should be high end gear available to those who put in the time and effort ..... the separation is just too substantial.  No chance except to run away or try to sail away (Which is incredibly difficult anymore due to high end sails) it is not fun.     

After rereading the above it seems I can solve my issues by just joining a good sized clan.  Problem is I don't want to .... should I have to?  Maybe so .... maybe this is just the way Atlas is and that will not change.  Solo and small clans get ready to join or get ready for some pain.  I just don't think many will put up with it for very long and current populations seem to reflect that.  If and when populations rise, this unfortunate fact will become abundantly clear to new players and start the cycle all over again.  That is until a better option becomes available to players in the form of a different/better game.  At that point it will be lights out for Atlas.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Elmo said:

The massive power gap between players is a tough one for me to swallow.  As a solo player on NA-PvP my gear (Ships, Sails, Planks, Armor, Guns .... etc) just plain cannot compete with anyone who has spent time in a larger clan and is running around with high end blue print gear.  I do get that high end blue print gear should be better/stronger than vanilla gear.  It is the vast difference that gets me.  I get a head shot off and it does 45 damage to someone whos health bar barely moves.  I take a body shot and dead.  Again ...... there should be high end gear available to those who put in the time and effort ..... the separation is just too substantial.  No chance except to run away or try to sail away (Which is incredibly difficult anymore due to high end sails) it is not fun.     

After rereading the above it seems I can solve my issues by just joining a good sized clan.  Problem is I don't want to .... should I have to?  Maybe so .... maybe this is just the way Atlas is and that will not change.  Solo and small clans get ready to join or get ready for some pain.  I just don't think many will put up with it for very long and current populations seem to reflect that.  If and when populations rise, this unfortunate fact will become abundantly clear to new players and start the cycle all over again.  That is until a better option becomes available to players in the form of a different/better game.  At that point it will be lights out for Atlas.

Yes, that is the choice you should have to make, but not because anyone is arbitrarily trying to make you miserable or because you’re solo. It is because of the other side of the gear coin.

Acquiring high end gear in Atlas is not really about the bp’s. Higher end bp’s are almost too easy to obtain from running maps. It is about acquiring the far flung mats needed and that is mostly about travel. In short if you do not have high end gear it is not because you can’t acquire the bp’s but because you have been unwilling to do the traveling necessary to get the mats. Because this is a significant effort, the spread in effectiveness between basic gear and high end needs to be significant in order to justify the effort needed to get the mats. You could easily do the the same, you just have chosen not to and are suffering the consequences when facing those who have.

The reason I know this is my company is all of 3 people. We have plenty of higher end bp’s, getting the mats for our gear was far more effort than getting the bp’s themselves, but neither was hard for us to do, both just required an investment of time.

• Like 1

The smallest group to attack my 3 man companies island since the wipe was still on the top 5 on leaderboard.  Nobody that doesn't outnumber us 50 to 1 has tried anything.

1.- render lag, and lag in ship battles.

2..- maps disappearing when looted in the shore. Maps in pillars. Maps in foundations or close to structures made by players. AoD stuck in mesh.

3.- tames stuck in mesh forever, when doing maps. Tames stuck in pits.

4.- all defense towers NPC being completely useless against ships, crabs or high level players with overgeared items.

5.- gold sink of maintaining the useless NPCs, leading you to point number 2 and 3 in my list. A repetitive cycle of boredom.

6.- losing ships for random reasons, losing ships when getting to close to the shore at 10% speed, losing ships when trying to go throw a large behemoth and crashing with the door closing, close the door when your ship is going half of the behemoth. The ship will bounce around doing 360 degree circle.

7.- encouraging megas to be the center of the game, locking content behind powerstones, neglecting solo players and small tribes letting them become cannon fodder for megas. Until they left. And megas left after losing their prey.

Edited by Emanuel a
  • Like 1

I'm close to leaving because the only other person I play with can't connect to the PVE EU server. He's tried EVERYTHING anyone has suggested on forums and in discord. His game never gets past loading primalgamedata_bp 

On 8/2/2019 at 7:22 PM, boomervoncannon said:

Yes, that is the choice you should have to make, but not because anyone is arbitrarily trying to make you miserable or because you’re solo. It is because of the other side of the gear coin.

Acquiring high end gear in Atlas is not really about the bp’s. Higher end bp’s are almost too easy to obtain from running maps. It is about acquiring the far flung mats needed and that is mostly about travel. In short if you do not have high end gear it is not because you can’t acquire the bp’s but because you have been unwilling to do the traveling necessary to get the mats. Because this is a significant effort, the spread in effectiveness between basic gear and high end needs to be significant in order to justify the effort needed to get the mats. You could easily do the the same, you just have chosen not to and are suffering the consequences when facing those who have.

The reason I know this is my company is all of 3 people. We have plenty of higher end bp’s, getting the mats for our gear was far more effort than getting the bp’s themselves, but neither was hard for us to do, both just required an investment of time.

Right ..... so you and your two mates hear some good things about Atlas and decide to pull away from Rust and give it a go.  How many hundreds of hours do they need to spend in the game (in between your getting base wiped as base defences are another issue) to become remotely viable in PvP?  To have any chance of not being one shotted by one of these BP'd, level 100+ large clan guys.  Little chance of even getting a shot off and if you are lucky enough to do so, it moves their HP bar 5% with a head shot.  

Screw it you'll build a ship and have some fun on the open ocean.  Problem is your up against ships whose planks potentially have twice (2x) the HP of yours and their cannons do twice (2x) the damage of yours.  Not to mention ship levels that are derived from the quality of the BP'd ship yard.  Might as well stick another 2x in there.  Quickly decide you gotta bail as you are simply out matched ...... sorry, their sails and resulting speed lets them easily harpoon you and finish you off.

The separation of high and low is the problem.  FPS games with thousands upon thousands of regular player put some thought into this and your level/gear gains are very slight to maintain a skill aspect.  Atlas has completely lost the skill aspect of PvP .... completely ..... it is quite simply a gear based game that will not sustain any solos or small group players.  They will try it out.  They will quickly figure out the substantial long term disadvantage they have.  They will be gone.

You seemed to focus on BPs in your post.  Perhaps that was a result of the way I worded mine.  It's not about getting BPs or even the mats to make them or even the grind associated with both.  It is the fact of how much gain they give and the incredible advantage a larger group has over a new smaller group or new solo player.  The numbers are borked.  

To be fair the game is in EA and that goes a long way with me.  Perhaps the Devs are just not worried about it at this point in time.  I do know that if it is not addressed at some point the game will not succeed as a "PVP GAME".

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Right ..... so you and your two mates hear some good things about Atlas and decide to pull away from Rust and give it a go.  How many hundreds of hours do they need to spend in the game (in between your getting base wiped as base defences are another issue) to become remotely viable in PvP?  To have any chance of not being one shotted by one of these BP'd, level 100+ large clan guys.  Little chance of even getting a shot off and if you are lucky enough to do so, it moves their HP bar 5% with a head shot.  

Screw it you'll build a ship and have some fun on the open ocean.  Problem is your up against ships whose planks potentially have twice (2x) the HP of yours and their cannons do twice (2x) the damage of yours.  Not to mention ship levels that are derived from the quality of the BP'd ship yard.  Might as well stick another 2x in there.  Quickly decide you gotta bail as you are simply out matched ...... sorry, their sails and resulting speed lets them easily harpoon you and finish you off.

The separation of high and low is the problem.  FPS games with thousands upon thousands of regular player put some thought into this and your level/gear gains are very slight to maintain a skill aspect.  Atlas has completely lost the skill aspect of PvP .... completely ..... it is quite simply a gear based game that will not sustain any solos or small group players.  They will try it out.  They will quickly figure out the substantial long term disadvantage they have.  They will be gone.

You seemed to focus on BPs in your post.  Perhaps that was a result of the way I worded mine.  It's not about getting BPs or even the mats to make them or even the grind associated with both.  It is the fact of how much gain they give and the incredible advantage a larger group has over a new smaller group or new solo player.  The numbers are borked.  

To be fair the game is in EA and that goes a long way with me.  Perhaps the Devs are just not worried about it at this point in time.  I do know that if it is not addressed at some point the game will not succeed as a "PVP GAME".

It's odd that you would say I seem to focus on BP's in my post when it includes this statement: Acquiring high end gear in Atlas is not really about the bp’s 

My post was centered on the fact that your perspective focused entirely how the spread from basic to high end gear negatively impacted you personally. There is a larger perspective the devs need to take into account, and that is the overall risk reward. 

The paragraph where you describe the problem of building the boat and going out on the ocean? There is a factual inaccuracy in there that shows you either haven't tried or the problem isn't with the components of the boats you're up against, it's your skill level. upgraded speed sail bp's exist, but as of yet, they do not actually increase speed beyond default speed sails. The devs have deliberately throttled this down for the time being. So when you say you can't outrun them, that isn't because their sails are of a higher quality, sorry. Even if their sails are of a higher quality, they won't make the ship go any faster than yours.

So the reality is either you haven't tried and are using what you perceive as the futility of trying as an excuse to not bother to try, or you have tried and you're being chased down not owing to better sails, but better sailing technique.

For you, the numbers are borked, clearly you want pvp to be more about individual skill than the gear. That is more a hallmark of fps games than MMO's, where the gear tends to be a heavier factor.  We just have a difference of opinion here. You favor closing the spread because you feel it disadvantages individuals and small groups. I play in a small group and don't feel disadvantaged at all. I prefer for the spread to stay substantial because reducing it tinkers with the risk/reward balance of what it takes to get higher end gear.

By the way, I do have 4k plus hours in Ark. I have never so much as logged into Rust. Also, if you check my profile, you will see I have been here since day one, so let's please dismiss the implication that I'm some Johnny come lately who doesn't know this game. 

Edited by boomervoncannon

It's odd that you would say I seem to focus on BP's in my post when it includes this statement: Acquiring high end gear in Atlas is not really about the bp’s 

My post was centered on the fact that your perspective focused entirely how the spread from basic to high end gear negatively impacted you personally. There is a larger perspective the devs need to take into account, and that is the overall risk reward. 

The paragraph where you describe the problem of building the boat and going out on the ocean? There is a factual inaccuracy in there that shows you either haven't tried or the problem isn't with the components of the boats you're up against, it's your skill level. upgraded speed sail bp's exist, but as of yet, they do not actually increase speed beyond default speed sails. The devs have deliberately throttled this down for the time being. So when you say you can't outrun them, that isn't because their sails are of a higher quality, sorry. Even if their sails are of a higher quality, they won't make the ship go any faster than yours.

So the reality is either you haven't tried and are using what you perceive as the futility of trying as an excuse to not bother to try, or you have tried and you're being chased down not owing to better sails, but better sailing technique.

For you, the numbers are borked, clearly you want pvp to be more about individual skill than the gear. That is more a hallmark of fps games than MMO's, where the gear tends to be a heavier factor.  We just have a difference of opinion here. You favor closing the spread because you feel it disadvantages individuals and small groups. I play in a small group and don't feel disadvantaged at all. I prefer for the spread to stay substantial because reducing it tinkers with the risk/reward balance of what it takes to get higher end gear.

By the way, I do have 4k plus hours in Ark. I have never so much as logged into Rust. Also, if you check my profile, you will see I have been here since day one, so let's please dismiss the implication that I'm some Johnny come lately who doesn't know this game. 

I stand corrected.  I meant to say the "Handling Sails" that work incredibly well and if you are not sporting them you will get run down.   I am very aware of the useless BP speed sails handling sails are the new speed sail. 

You are correct and we will have to just agree to disagree on this subject.  As per usual time will tell ..... 

Additionally, I made no such insinuation that you were some "Johnny come lately" and I'm not sure where that came from.  I do at the very least think you mean well.  However, I do find it curious how in a thread titled "What makes you feel like no longer playing Atlas?" you spend so much time rebutting people trying to answer that very question. 

Never played Ark,  but, I do have a couple hours in Atlas.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Elmo
Handling not Weight ..... too late to be posting
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hattrix said:

I'm close to leaving because the only other person I play with can't connect to the PVE EU server. He's tried EVERYTHING anyone has suggested on forums and in discord. His game never gets past loading primalgamedata_bp 

Tell your friend to do as follows:

Open your Steam library. Right click on Atlas and select "Properties".

Go to the "Local Files" tab and click on "Verify Integrity of game files".

Wait for the progress bar on the new window to complete.

It will presumably say something like "xy files compromised" and a hidden download will start in the background. You will not be able to see this on your steam downloads, but there will be a % number on the Atlas item in your steam library.

Wait for this download to finish!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do NOT attempt to start the game before that download is complete or you will have to start over from the beginning!

After that, just start the game normally.

You're welcome.

6 hours ago, Elmo said:

The separation of high and low is the problem.  FPS games with thousands upon thousands of regular player put some thought into this and your level/gear gains are very slight to maintain a skill aspect.

^This.

The difference between trash tier and godly tier is a bit much right now and should probably be more in the ballpark of like 25% at most, instead of what feels like 5000% now.

@boomervoncannon High end gear should be meant to give you an EDGE in combat instead of putting you in a whole different ballpark.

Having a 25% dmg advantage in any competitive shooter would completely turn around the balance so that nobody is going to use anything other than that +25% dmg gun eventually.

Even just having +2% damage is going to make a hell of a difference.

Edited by user1

5 hours ago, user1 said:

Tell your friend to do as follows:

Open your Steam library. Right click on Atlas and select "Properties".

Go to the "Local Files" tab and click on "Verify Integrity of game files".

Wait for the progress bar on the new window to complete.

It will presumably say something like "xy files compromised" and a hidden download will start in the background. You will not be able to see this on your steam downloads, but there will be a % number on the Atlas item in your steam library.

Wait for this download to finish!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do NOT attempt to start the game before that download is complete or you will have to start over from the beginning!

After that, just start the game normally.

You're welcome.

He's done that multiple times. 

On 8/4/2019 at 4:24 AM, user1 said:

^This.

The difference between trash tier and godly tier is a bit much right now and should probably be more in the ballpark of like 25% at most, instead of what feels like 5000% now.

@boomervoncannon High end gear should be meant to give you an EDGE in combat instead of putting you in a whole different ballpark.

Having a 25% dmg advantage in any competitive shooter would completely turn around the balance so that nobody is going to use anything other than that +25% dmg gun eventually.

Even just having +2% damage is going to make a hell of a difference.

It could always just be something the Devs just are not worried about at this time as well.  I've read "somewhere" that balancing is something that is done towards the tail end of development.  They try to balance the game early and then some mechanic gets added that completely destroys that balance.  Similar to the torpedo thing.  Here and gone in a week.  Assuredly due to clan leaders expressing the imbalance and destructive potential of them. 

Someone had mentioned earlier in this thread how the big clan leaders basically had Jat on speed dial.  Which in itself has certainly affected the direction of the game if true.  Makes a lot of sense as to where the game is at with the power gap.  While I do think their input is quite valuable to develpoment, it is only one portion of the player base.  The small clan and solos are left with crying on the forums which is pretty much what we're doing here.  While on the subject of crying, not liking the whole constant discovery point to keep leveling thing.  I think the level at which you need to focus specifically on getting more discovery points is too low and should be reserved for later levels (80-100+).

None of us would be here if we didn't at least like Atlas and/or care about the direction of the game.  I love it personally and despite everything I am still here.  Looking forward to what it brings in the future.