Sign in to follow this  
SpankPack

Handling Sail - wrong boom angle and bulge

Please check the boom angle and sail bulge of Handling sail and Weight sail in relation to wind direction. I think is "OK-ish" to one side, but disastrously wrong the other side.

Handling sail boom should always point more or less AWAY from the WIND. (Unless you press the boom by hand against the wind and you sail backwards!)

Bulge should always be AWAY from the wind like the other sails.

(You must make two alternating handling sail meshes or MIRROR sail mesh's x-axis when changing tack. you cannot just rotate all along y-axis)

On Running wind (behind) the boom can be on either side (of your choice) (90 degrees to wind) and bulge forward.

Suggesting to Google images "sail positions for points of sail"

/ Old sailor

PS. Great game (800+ hrs)

Edited by SpankPack
Same visual bug on weight sails too
  • Like 5

Yeah. Someone who is just now getting into sailing this bothers me! Especially when I am running a sloop; it really takes me out because I am used to a fixed single sail that looks just like it in real life.

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

first time I used the handling sails and winged it out, I was all confused that it went almost 90 out the starboard side, but the left side only went about 45 with the sail bulge pointing the wrong way. would be nice to see this fixed.

The model for the handling sail is rotated 180 degrees -- it's backwards. Just look at the crows nest compared to every other sails. Someone forgot to reset the transform on the model pivot. This should be an EASY fix.

Totally agree, please FIX IT.  It is very anoying to a point where I am not using them.  Please adjust this quickly.  Should be an easy fix.  300px-Points_of_sail.svg.png

Thanks.

So, I am very interested in this game. VERY interested. I'm an avid sailor, I teach sailing, I participate in regattas, I love it, I live it. This game's sailing model has so intrigued me that I'm highly interested. But in all of the footage I've seen, I saw, as this thread mentions, backwards fore and aft rigged (handling) sails. I want to get this game, I want to give them my money and support what they are doing, even if the sailing isn't perfect, it's the best I've found in a real game that's not just a sailing sim. But I literally can't tolerate those sails literally being backwards. I'm glad that others share my issue. I literally searched out these official forums, searched out this problem, and created a profile just to bump this thread. Fix this sail issue and you'll almost certainly have my money. For me, the more realistic the sailing (excepting specific gameplay concessions), the better. That's all I've got.