Sign in to follow this  
Jack Shandy

Claim system that includes personal claims, island claims and anti spam

Anti spam

All ground placed structures not in your claim have a ~6h decay timer that cannot be reset.

Personal / company claim flags

2 flag types, base (large area) & outpost (medium area)

You can only place 1 flag per island.

Claims cannot overlap.

A claim area allows you to build within it and excludes others from building within it.

Each flag and all structures within have a 10-day decay timer that can be extended up to 2 months by placing resources (metal, wood, thatch, fibre) in the flag. The flag will use up resources before the static 10-day timer. (The cost should be relatively high. This allows for people to prepare for being away from the game but gets used first to avoid abuse.) 10-day timer will be reset upon company member entering the area.

Flag and claim area will show on the map.

A solo player gets 1 claim flag. (outpost)

A company of 1-2 gets 3 claim flags. (1 base, 2 outpost)

A company of 3-5 gets 4 claim flags. (1 base, 3 outpost)

Etc.

Largest company would get something like 2 base flags & 8 outpost flags.

Island claims

Island claims will work like they do now, with a few exceptions.

You cannot claim an island you don’t have a base flag on.

Removing a base flag will declaim the island.

(Owning an island and a base flag might seem too much but you get the exclusion part of the base flag too, so people can’t build temporary structures near your base and can’t overlap their claim.)

(The number of base flags also has the effect of determining how many islands a company can own, which might move larger companies to larger islands.)

Owner now has whole island to build on, fortifications, ramps to inaccessible heights, spawn signs etc.

Island decay timer for owner is gold for flag and that time plus 10-days for structures.

Anyone can place a base or outpost flag on a claimed island if the area does not include island owners’ structures.

If a company places a base or outpost flag in an area that includes any island owners’ structures, the island owner will get a notification and will have 24 hours to accept or reject the placement. During this time the owner can see the outline of the claim area. Acceptance, or timer running out, auto destroys all owners’ structures within the flag claim area.

Tax

Can be kept as it is, however you now have recognizable levels of commitment to your island.

You have Bases, true settlers that probably want the best for you and the island.

You have outposts, people that see the value of your island but aren’t based there.

And everyone else.

The island owner could have up to three tax rates, with the maximums decreasing as the level of commitment to the island increases.

I could see and be happy with bases 5%, outposts 10% and visitors at 20% tax rate

(All numbers, times & percentages are best guesses, and will need to be tested and tweaked)

While I support claims in general - restricting to one claim only works on a map that is designed for it.      Many beaches have very shallow wide harbors so it is not possible to cover your docks and your land base with one claim.    This map is better to have non overlapping claims that expand where you want, I personally prefer hexgrids for their long legacy in war games that they allow more organic expansion in the direction you need and not in the direction you do not want.  Other games use square grids or resizable/recentered rectangles - but they are more land based with every grid being useful rather than shoreline based like Atlas. 

Edited by krazmuze

I feel like you  have limited the scope of your idea too much. You are thinking too much in terms of how Atlas currently functions, which was never intended. Check this thread out for my idea. Keep in mind, it's a game... they sky is  the limit, essentially.

You basically want empires back, but with more restrictions. That system sucked hard, and it caused the burn out that people have now.

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

5 hours ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

I think this is the wrong game-play philsophy.  Restricting players down to Ark-sized bases and limiting their territory is unfun!

I never put a size on the claim area, just large and medium, please state your idea of large so we can gauge some perspective on what will suit you.

Ark never did have any restrictions on base size, so not sure what you mean by that.

4 hours ago, krazmuze said:

While I support claims in general - restricting to one claim only works on a map that is designed for it.      Many beaches have very shallow wide harbors so it is not possible to cover your docks and your land base with one claim.    This map is better to have non overlapping claims that expand where you want, I personally prefer hexgrids for their long legacy in war games that they allow more organic expansion in the direction you need and not in the direction you do not want.  Other games use square grids or resizable/recentered rectangles - but they are more land based with every grid being useful rather than shoreline based like Atlas. 

one claim can work if it's "large", I did mean large as in being able to build 20-30 foundations length out to sea and then place a shipyard.

While hex's are great, they  would need to be predetermined and you would end up with undesirable hexes and building right up against an edge as the rest is up a cliff etc.

4 hours ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

I feel like you  have limited the scope of your idea too much. You are thinking too much in terms of how Atlas currently functions, which was never intended. Check this thread out for my idea. Keep in mind, it's a game... they sky is  the limit, essentially.

You basically want empires back, but with more restrictions. That system sucked hard, and it caused the burn out that people have now.

That was on purpose, it's a lot easier to use systems either already in the game, or have previously used, rather than create a whole new system.

I try to keep my suggestions close to what I can see the dev's are already able to produce.

I did play EVE about 10 years ago and enjoyed it, the high sec / low sec & whatever the periphery was called. (Played a high sec manufacturer buying BP's and, unobtainable for me, resources at the edges of safe space)  but nowadays limiting PVE players to lesser content cant be done. With your system, with a shift in the balance of power someones PVE base, ships and tames can get wiped out, people won't accept this. 

That was on purpose, it's a lot easier to use systems either already in the game, or have previously used, rather than create a whole new system.

My proposal isn't really a new system, its just another layer on top of the current one.

With your system, with a shift in the balance of power someones PVE base, ships and tames can get wiped out, people won't accept this. 

Depends. If it's someone else's land that's the risk you take and part of the intrigue and emergent gameplay. If it's your land, that's on you since pure PvErs cant lose their land unless they go inactive.

10 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

and you would end up with undesirable hexes and building right up against an edge as the rest is up a cliff etc.

But the other option of non overlapping circles means you cannot claim something because it would overlap somebody else even though the area you want is not claimed.

If you make it large enough to reach the shipyards on the front radius - that means you are claiming the back radius that you did not want - and paying more for it or worse being blocked because someone else leaves on the shore over the mountain due to the many narrow islets in the game.

Circle claims leaves unwanted claims and unused gaps.

The hex problem is solved using finer hexes - make them small enough and cheap enough that 1g (or whatever basis is sound gameplay) is enough for the starter hut to logout before getting into shipyards.  Then the neighboring hex claims can be taken over as you expand (on PVP you might have to fight for them - on PVE you have to make real estate trade deals).    Or you grind out the gold up faster than the rest of th server to reserve the entire island for your clan - or you just pay up front for the corner of the island that you know will be your limit to expansion.

Edited by krazmuze

10 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

But the other option of non overlapping circles means you cannot claim something because it would overlap somebody else even though the area you want is not claimed.

If you make it large enough to reach the shipyards on the front radius - that means you are claiming the back radius that you did not want - and paying more for it.      It leaves unwanted claims and unused gaps.

The hex problem is solved using finer hexes - make them small enough and cheap enough that 1g (or whatever basis is sound gameplay) is enough for the starter hut to logout before getting into shipyards.  Then the neighboring hex claims can be taken over as you expand (on PVP you might have to fight for them - on PVE you have to make real estate trade deals)

Complex but it could work.

actually it would be kinda cool, instead of my "base claim" radius you had a certain number of connected hexes instead, you could shape your own area.

But realistically I can't see them doing something like this, and you'll always get some prat that makes their base one huge line of hexes all along the coast.  

Thats one of the advantages of a circle, even almost touching you are far enough apart.

Edited by Jack Shandy

58 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

Complex but it could work.

actually it would be kinda cool, instead of my "base claim" radius you had a certain number of connected hexes instead, you could shape your own area.

But realistically I can't see them doing something like this, and you'll always get some prat that makes their base one huge line of hexes all along the coast.  

Thats one of the advantages of a circle, even almost touching you are far enough apart.

Except when we had circles the prats would circle the island with their ocean claims - blocking you from shipyarding. Even if they did away with sea claims and made it so land claims can be placed wherever a shipyard can - it is still a problem that noobs get encircled before they save up to claim their potential.

So getting trapped inland is not a problem unique to hexes.   It is why any game with claiming really only works if there is an MMO admin staff.

And that is not a problem in PVP instead encircling is a valid war strategy - used IRL theatres of combat.

Edited by krazmuze

7 hours ago, krazmuze said:

Except when we had circles the prats would circle the island with their ocean claims - blocking you from shipyarding. Even if they did away with sea claims and made it so land claims can be placed wherever a shipyard can - it is still a problem that noobs get encircled before they save up to claim their potential.

So getting trapped inland is not a problem unique to hexes.   It is why any game with claiming really only works if there is an MMO admin staff.

And that is not a problem in PVP instead encircling is a valid war strategy - used IRL theatres of combat.

Erm..... no sea claims!!!

1 claim per island, so no circling any one.

You place claim, if you place it inland the yer, you wont be placing a shipyard. 

Did you intentionally misread everything, because everything you said would be impossible under that system.