Sign in to follow this  
FatalCrazy

False rumors about wipe !

1 hour ago, Winter Thorne said:

First, it's not "released".  As we get reminded constantly, it's EA.

Second, I'm not buying this argument.  Like many many others, I didn't get any advantage.  My first 3 days were spent relogging and crashing, and being griefed.  By the time I finally got underway, virtually every single piece of land in the game was claimed because claims were free and unlimited.  The next 2 months were spent being griefed on lawless, making a few friends, and watching them all quit the game.   Finally when things had just started to settle down, GS decided to wipe the servers and leave my server down for over a week so they could placate the pvp crowd with multiple flavors of pvp.  You want to talk about smelly feet?  That's smelly feet.

That's a far worse scenario than xbox players would face on release on combined servers, given the current player numbers and the way the player base has settled down, the patches put in to prevent sinking ships with weight, etc.  There is land to claim, there are plenty of resources, and at least on pve, there are plenty of people inclined to be helpful to newcomers.

As a player who has stuck with the EA while the rest have quit in droves, it would be ridiculous for GS to say to players like me....sorry, but the xbox people want a clean server to start on, and all your stuff is in their way, so we're just going to remove it all and make it nice and clean for them.  It's bullshit.

And not to sound like a broken record, but so many of the design decisions on this game have been made with the premise that everyone playing the game will start on day 1, that some of these systems need a real shakeout with a view to how games really work.  Everyone doesn't start on day 1.  You need sales on day 100 and day 200 and 365 to keep a game going.  For example, how is the island claiming system going to work for a group of 5 friends starting on day 200 when you've let big companies claim all the small islands?  Will there be enough churn in the player base for incoming players to carve out a spot?  This is not something you want to find out after the game has been out a year, and you've put out a great new feature, done a steam sale, and get an influx of 5000 new players.

I can't believe anyone even tried to argue that wiping the servers for this would be a "given", and that so many other people just followed right along with that like it was totally reasonable and expected.

Your first three days sound like a piece of cake, and pretty fun actually. Happened on ark as well. We are used to that.

a console players first hour let alone 3 days would be, get a raft start to sail off and then immediately see 4 mythical galleons sail towards him with 100 cannons.

sorry about your luck console dude, better put out that stone hatchet, maybe you can take a few hit points off one of their planks. Smh

there will most definitely be a wipe. That never was up for debate. It will happen. They would look like even bigger idiots if they didn’t do a wipe. Plus hey, like you said it’s ea. Wipes happen for a lot less so it would be stupid to think they wouldn’t wipe with a change this big smh

15 minutes ago, Realist said:

Your first three days sound like a piece of cake, and pretty fun actually. Happened on ark as well. We are used to that.

a console players first hour let alone 3 days would be, get a raft start to sail off and then immediately see 4 mythical galleons sail towards him with 100 cannons.

sorry about your luck console dude, better put out that stone hatchet, maybe you can take a few hit points off one of their planks. Smh

there will most definitely be a wipe. That never was up for debate. It will happen. They would look like even bigger idiots if they didn’t do a wipe. Plus hey, like you said it’s ea. 

If you'e used to getting into a game late where everyone else has already taken all the claimable land, established bases , and on pvp are ready to attack you,  then good.  This should be a cakewalk for you, because it's MUCH better than what most of us started out with.   

You've given no reason to wipe pve. And yet you've not explained how, given your complaint, any player would ever choose to buy the game and start playing on a pvp server after release.    If that's your scenario on how this will work...no new pvp players ever..then there's no game to argue about.  It's toast.

17 minutes ago, Realist said:

Wipes happen for a lot less so it would be stupid to think they wouldn’t wipe with a change this big smh

Shake your head all you like.  What change?  Your grand entrance is not a "change".  This is simply adding new players to the official servers, something that theoretically will happen over and over again.  Seems like a big deal to you, maybe, because you finally get to play, but to the rest of us..it's just more players joining.  Are you expecting that any time there's some event that causes a number of players to buy the game everybody is going to get wiped so all the new guys can have everything all clean?  Are you expecting that the small number of remaining players, having already put up with a numb

Lol yeah, newsflash for the OP. 

At some point the servers will get wiped. 

Crossplay,  probably a wipe.

Major update, probably a wipe.

Launch day, a wipe.

Giant cheating fiasco, probably a wipe.

Dont be disillusioned, this is an EA game that is about late alpha early beta at this point. You have to be reasonable and understand that this game is not yet finished and ready for an uninterrupted lifespan. Its certainly not ideal to peeform wipes prior to the launch day, but its also not necessarily unavoidable. 

Personally i think its rather healthy for a wipe 2 or 3 times a year while in EA. Especially while they are still trying to concoct a reasonable land claim system.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Realist said:

there will most definitely be a wipe. That never was up for debate. It will happen. They would look like even bigger idiots if they didn’t do a wipe. Plus hey, like you said it’s ea. 

If you're used to getting into a game late where everyone else has already taken all the claimable land, established bases , and on pvp are ready to attack you,  then good.  This should be a cakewalk for you, because it's MUCH better than what most of us started out with.   

You've given no reason to wipe pve. And yet you've not explained how, given your complaint, any player would ever choose to buy the game and start playing on a pvp server after release.    If that's your scenario on how this will work...no new pvp players ever..then there's no game to argue about.  It's toast.

33 minutes ago, Realist said:

Wipes happen for a lot less so it would be stupid to think they wouldn’t wipe with a change this big smh

Shake your head all you like.  What change?  Your grand entrance is not a "change".  This is simply adding new players to the official servers, something that theoretically will happen over and over again.  Seems like a big deal to you, maybe, because you finally get to play, but to the rest of us..it's just more players joining.  Are you expecting that any time there's some event that causes a number of players to buy the game everybody is going to get wiped so all the new guys can have everything all clean?  Are you expecting that the small number of remaining players, having stuck it out through all the issues, the griefing, and the earlier wipe are going to be happy to lose everything and continue to stick around because of al the wonderfulness that Realist and the xbox crew will bring to the game?

I hope they give you your own server, or I hope you enjoy joining ours, because if they wipe our server just so you don't have to look at our stuff....you'll be getting your own server.

Edited by Winter Thorne

42 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

If you're used to getting into a game late where everyone else has already taken all the claimable land, established bases , and on pvp are ready to attack you,  then good.  This should be a cakewalk for you, because it's MUCH better than what most of us started out with.   

Shake your head all you like.  What change?  Your grand entrance is not a "change".  This is simply adding new players to the official servers, something that theoretically will happen over and over again.  Seems like a big deal to you, maybe, because you finally get to play, but to the rest of us..it's just more players joining.  Are you expecting that any time there's some event that causes a number of players to buy the game everybody is going to get wiped so all the new guys can have everything all clean?  Are you expecting that the small number of remaining players, having stuck it out through all the issues, the griefing, and the earlier wipe are going to be happy to lose everything and continue to stick around because of al the wonderfulness that Realist and the xbox crew will bring to the game?

I hope they give you your own server, or I hope you enjoy joining ours, because if they wipe our server just so you don't have to look at our stuff....you'll be getting your own server.

I was just informing you there will be a wipe. Yes, it is a big change and no matter what there will be a wipe.

53 minutes ago, Realist said:

I was just informing you there will be a wipe. Yes, it is a big change and no matter what there will be a wipe.

I didn't know you'd joined Grapeshot.  Congratulations on your new job.

Wipe isn't a qustion of if - it's a question of when. 

Might be a wipe as soon as the wild pirates feature is introduced to allow them to settle propely on official maps. In fact, I hold that as highly likely and would be quite surprised if there was no wipe for this reason. 

Will definitely be a wipe as the game goes gold - i.e. official release, but that is some 12-18 months away or so. 

3 hours ago, Wotannatow said:

Might be a wipe as soon as the wild pirates feature is introduced to allow them to settle propely on official maps. In fact, I hold that as highly likely and would be quite surprised if there was no wipe for this reason. 

Will definitely be a wipe as the game goes gold - i.e. official release, but that is some 12-18 months away or so. 

I am totally with you as far as wild pirates go.

but unfortunately, even with ark they didn’t do a wipe on the actual official release. They made legacy servers(which was very stupid) grapeshot(devs decision). Especially if the numbers don’t rise(probably not) they won’t do a wipe even at release(still going off previous behavior). 

I get you and they should. History tells us they won’t though.

8 hours ago, Wotannatow said:

My first thought that the reason they haven't introduced the wild NPC encampments onto official servers yet is because for it to work properly they'd need to wipe. A lot of people told me I'm wrong and that i'm trying to stir up wipe rumours. I mean it just takes commonsense to realise it, but I guess those people are pretending because they don't want a wipe. I'd find it hard to believe they can introduce it without a wipe.

Official release, I dunno, ARK never wiped on official release, but they did add new servers. The official servers on Atlas isn't as simple as just adding new servers, so for that reason they may wipe, but it's not guaranteed. Who knows what the server population be at release anyway.

• Like 1

I haven't heard anything of a wipe imminent but there will be another at some point and if I was to guess it would be another 2 months.

Trouble is the damage is done, they are not addressing the issues of griefing and claimed land. They are going in the wrong direction with it.

For a start I would get rid of 2 servers for PvE, no need for NA and EU, that just splits the low numbers that they already have. If they went down the route of merging PvP and PvE then they would have to put in some safe zones. How many times are people going to come back after a wipe though? Many have already thrown in the towel.

The NPC encampments may or may not require a wipe.  Depends on how they do them.  They've added islands with no wipe before.  It's also possible to make changes to the game while preserving part or most of it.  You could wipe the landscape and preserve the player data, for example.    If they wanted to grab 5 islands out of the map and do something with them, they could wipe 5 islands.  There are a lot of ways to go about it without wiping 100% of the game.

36 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

How many times are people going to come back after a wipe though? Many have already thrown in the towel.

I agree, but I think people *might* put up with another wipe if it meant something great was coming.   NPC settlements may or may not be enough for that.  A cat, a sub, a giant crab..none of those things would be enough, I think.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

The NPC encampments may or may not require a wipe.  Depends on how they do them.  They've added islands with no wipe before.  It's also possible to make changes to the game while preserving part or most of it.  You could wipe the landscape and preserve the player data, for example.    If they wanted to grab 5 islands out of the map and do something with them, they could wipe 5 islands.  There are a lot of ways to go about it without wiping 100% of the game.

The way they described NPC encampments, if I remember correctly, is that they need to be destroyed before an island can be claimed, although I could be wrong in that. But it would make much more sense to wipe, so that NPC encampments can spawn anywhere on the islands, otherwise if they added it now you'd get encampments spawning most likely inside bases. It just makes much more sense to wipe. And there's no other obvious reason to me as to why it didn't come to official, or at least get put on a PTR.

As for your example of grabbing 5 islands and just wiping them, I doubt they would go down that route as that is 100% unfair on the playerbase to get dev wiped for an update when all others don't get touched. They should handle wipes as wipe all or nothing. As for wiping player data I don't see that as necessary, with the exception of maybe at official launch.

5 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

The way they described NPC encampments, if I remember correctly, is that they need to be destroyed before an island can be claimed, although I could be wrong in that. But it would make much more sense to wipe, so that NPC encampments can spawn anywhere on the islands, otherwise if they added it now you'd get encampments spawning most likely inside bases. It just makes much more sense to wipe. And there's no other obvious reason to me as to why it didn't come to official, or at least get put on a PTR.

As for your example of grabbing 5 islands and just wiping them, I doubt they would go down that route as that is 100% unfair on the playerbase to get dev wiped for an update when all others don't get touched. They should handle wipes as wipe all or nothing. As for wiping player data I don't see that as necessary, with the exception of maybe at official launch.

I wasn't sure what they meant about the NPC encampments, whether every island would have them and part of claiming an island was clearing them out, or if this would be something just on some islands that couldn't be claimed until you defeated them.  I suppose I was thinking of the latter, since the other way seems rife for griefing.

As far as wiping individual islands, I'm sure that some players would look at it like "He got something I didn't get".  On the other hand, it could be looked at like "I get to keep my character, this other spot has been given to replace my claim, and I've got 4 ship's resource boxes full of everything I need to put it all back (which the devs could do easily if they're smart).  Seems like biting off your nose to spite your face to insist you get wiped rather than moved.  If the devs are interested in retaining players it's the choice between pissing off 50 players vs 2000 players...seems worthwhile to consider it.

• Like 1

The wipe is so close that I can almost smell it. It would be foolish to think the wipe is not coming after watching steam charts of active players, and the fact that they didn't release a major update in months, they were saving a lot of new stuff to attract players after the wipe. 

Edited by Emanuel a

3 minutes ago, Emanuel a said:

The wipe is so close that I can almost smell it. It would be foolish to think the wipe is not coming after watching steam charts of active players, and the fact that they didn't release a major update in months, they were saving a lot of new stuff to attract players after the wipe. 

This has lack of thought. The last mega patch was start of June, I suspect the next one is due very soon. Steam charts has nothing to do with whether there will be a wipe or not. If steam charts are really low, why would that indicate a wipe is coming, when they'd probably lose some of those because of a wipe. No wipe is going to help steam charts, because a wipe is not the problem.

5 minutes ago, Emanuel a said:

I got ten doubloons that say no wipe before Labor Day. You ready to put your money where your mouth is?

1 minute ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

This has lack of thought. The last mega patch was start of June, I suspect the next one is due very soon. Steam charts has nothing to do with whether there will be a wipe or not. If steam charts are really low, why would that indicate a wipe is coming, when they'd probably lose some of those because of a wipe. No wipe is going to help steam charts, because a wipe is not the problem.

most people at this point are just waiting around for the wipe to happen, no one is willing to start a large project at this point cause they know it will be all lost soon.

Edited by lordkhan4444

Just now, lordkhan4444 said:

most people at this point are just waiting around for the wipe to happen, no one is willing to start a large project at this point cause they know it will be all lost soon.

Most people? Where have you got this info?

And how do they know it will all be lost soon?

• Like 1

major update: CATS!

Sure, they are not hiding content to use after wipe....

Edited by Emanuel a
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Emanuel a said:

Next major update: CATS!

don't forget seahorse and the 6shooter pistol that is much weaker than the already weak flintlock

7 minutes ago, Emanuel a said:

major update: CATS!

No they aren't hiding content to use after wipe. In fact they've been releasing content in between mega updates like Blackwood, and single player. There's nothing to suggest they are hiding content because they are wiping soon. Talk about scaremongering.

2 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

No they aren't hiding content to use after wipe. In fact they've been releasing content in between mega updates like Blackwood, and single player. There's nothing to suggest they are hiding content because they are wiping soon. Talk about scaremongering.

CATS WILL SCRATCH OUT YOUR EYEBALLS!!!

THEY’RE GONNA WIPE EVERY THURSDAY AND SELL ALL YOUR PERSONAL INFO TO PUTIN!!

THE ENTIRE DEV TEAM HAS BEEN FIRED AND REPLACED WITH A CUSTOMER SERVICE CALL CENTER IN MUMBAI!!

WE’RE ALL DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMED!!!!

hold me.

44 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

CATS WILL SCRATCH OUT YOUR EYEBALLS!!!

THEY’RE GONNA WIPE EVERY THURSDAY AND SELL ALL YOUR PERSONAL INFO TO PUTIN!!

THE ENTIRE DEV TEAM HAS BEEN FIRED AND REPLACED WITH A CUSTOMER SERVICE CALL CENTER IN MUMBAI!!

WE’RE ALL DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMED!!!!

hold me.

accualy wipes every thurs would be awsome like in rust! but it would be something like king of the server or king of the island would be so  much fun

6 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

I got ten doubloons that say no wipe before Labor Day. You ready to put your money where your mouth is?

The only reason o am not taking that bet is because I know there is no way in hell that they could release console by Labor Day.

crossplay will be a wipe no matter what so let’s wait till that month and I will call your 10 and raise you 20 doubloons 

6 minutes ago, Realist said:

The only reason o am not taking that bet is because I know there is no way in hell that they could release console by Labor Day.

crossplay will be a wipe no matter what so let’s wait till that month and I will call your 10 and raise you 20 doubloons 

On Wall Street trading floors where everyone who isn’t a first year trader is a millionaire, betting for large sums of money is commonplace, but it is a time honored tradition that serious bets of honor are always for ten dollars. Consequently “I’ll bet you ten dollars.” to a Wall Street trader is a more serious matter than “I’ll bet you ten grand.”

I’m not taking that other bet because the point of my bet was to call shenanigans on something I consider highly improbable. If they wiped at cross play that wouldn’t surprise me, assuming there ever is crossplay.