Sign in to follow this  
Tiberius_theron

Atlas is a failure, stop playing it, it's only fueling a slow painful death.

So after our community attempted to try Atlas for a third time around, I now feel the same way about Atlas, as I do Dark and Light. Both games are Snail Games attempts to duplicate Ark's massive success in other gaming genera. And these attempts have failed. Atlas still feels like a really buggy mod for Ark. It suffers from a serious lack of content outside of pvp. What little content it does have is locked behind the Kraken, which is also a buggy hot mess. The taming system and breeding system are so disgustingly buggy/tedious it's frankly just not worth the time investment. The claim system in pvp/pve are both straight out of a Steve King novel.

The only thing that could remotely save Atlas would be the ability for customers to host the whole map unofficially without having to spend thousands of dollars per server/map. And that's just never going to happen due to poor planning on the development teams part.

With less than a 1,800 people world wide logging in during peak times total, Atlas is a Dark and Light 2.0. Atlas will stay in EA just like DnL permanently. The development will eventually be pulled away as well. Just like DnL. And Atlas will become another quick cash flow for Snail Games during Steam Sales. Atlas was a good idea in theory, but poorly put into practice. The development teams time would be better spent on better projects.

Friends requested my thoughts here, these are my thought. Instead of WoW clones, we're now getting Ark clones. And until you stop trying to get your next fix, this shit will continue. Atlas is a failure, stop playing it, it's only fueling a slow painful death. Grapeshot (Snail Games) used bait and switch to take money and run. They took your money, stop letting them waste your time as well. Atlas has never and will never have the success of Ark. You continuing to play this sad corpse of a game, only furthers it toward zombie-hood.

LET IT DIE! When it's truly dead, Grapeshot (Snail Games) may finally learn to stop trying to recreate Ark in other styles.

Edited by Tiberius_theron
  • Haha 1

I dont care, i still enyoining the game.

I will still playing. New dedicated servers usually are better than the official and giant server.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drako said:

I dont care, i still enyoining the game.

I will still playing. New dedicated servers usually are better than the official and giant server.

Whole-heartedly agree with you. 

• Haha 1

Game is shaping up well, so ill still play it but its not for you to tell us to stop playing , so bugger off.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tiberius_theron said:

So after our community attempted to try Atlas for a third time around, I now feel the same way about Atlas, as I do Dark and Light. Both games are Snail Games attempts to duplicate Ark's massive success in other gaming genera. And these attempts have failed. Atlas still feels like a really buggy mod for Ark. It suffers from a serious lack of content outside of pvp. What little content it does have is locked behind the Kraken, which is also a buggy hot mess. The taming system and breeding system are so disgustingly buggy/tedious it's frankly just not worth the time investment. The claim system in pvp/pve are both straight out of a Steve King novel.

The only thing that could remotely save Atlas would be the ability for customers to host the whole map unofficially without having to spend thousands of dollars per server/map. And that's just never going to happen due to poor planning on the development teams part.

With less than a 1,800 people world wide logging in during peak times total, Atlas is a Dark and Light 2.0. Atlas will stay in EA just like DnL permanently. The development will eventually be pulled away as well. Just like DnL. And Atlas will become another quick cash flow for Snail Games during Steam Sales. Atlas was a good idea in theory, but poorly put into practice. The development teams time would be better spent on better projects.

Friends requested my thoughts here, these are my thought. Instead of WoW clones, we're now getting Ark clones. And until you stop trying to get your next fix, this shit will continue. Atlas is a failure, stop playing it, it's only fueling a slow painful death. Grapeshot (Snail Games) used bait and switch to take money and run. They took your money, stop letting them waste your time as well. Atlas has never and will never have the success of Ark. You continuing to play this sad corpse of a game, only furthers it toward zombie-hood.

LET IT DIE! When it's truly dead, Grapeshot (Snail Games) may finally learn to stop trying to recreate Ark in other styles.

But what if the whole point of my participation is to fuel and facilitate a slow, painful death?

• Haha 4

Nah, they need to cashgrab as much as they can for the next time they lose a lawsuit due to bad boy behavior. Let the $10 drips and drabs flow in, though at this point all they are getting are the true impulse purchase gamers who just see "Oh shiny!" and hit buy now when they see a trailer or Steam sale.

Official EU-PvE is not really a good community.

You should try another servert to enjoy ATLAS. There are a lot of nice privatservers with many friendly and helpfull people 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tiberius_theron said:

Yeah to save the game they should make a non-dedicated mode where you could host the whole map unofficially without having to spend thousand of dollars per server/map by running it on your game computer and making it so you could invite your friends.

They should also put the game on sale beyond just the steam summer sale so that those who stopped playing unofficials can invite all their friends to come play on their non-dedicated coop server.

Yeah that is never going to happen...

Edited by krazmuze
  • Haha 1

I have to say at the sale price of £7.85 67% off it is well worth the money for this game, even for single player mode alone. I certainly wouldn't pay full price for it though if I was a new player coming into the game.

They aren't bringing out enough content to keep players engaged, to slow for my liking. I'm not even sure if they have a roadmap of where they actually want the game to go, I get the feeling some things are done on the fly and a quick look of Discord to see how people are feeling.

They can't keep wiping the servers though and hoping players will keep coming back, there's only so many times that will happen. They need to get a grip and turn it around and fast.

Content is what you make of it in your playground of possibilities.  I will say it and say it again.. RP servers are the best servers for creating content within this huge playground.

Do agree though, They need to focus on a direction and start piling up the content and adding those props because those that like to do theatre and create their own emersion on stage, are only a small percent of your average kids on the playground 🙂 and even bullies get tired of beating up the same kids every day.

4 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

But what if the whole point of my participation is to fuel and facilitate a slow, painful death?

Loving it. Yeah I’ll play the hell out of atlas.

9 hours ago, Tiberius_theron said:

Weren’t you one of those white knights(haven’t used that term in awhile 😉) that was arguing with me all the time in the beginning. Well maybe you should have listened. Just saying.

16 minutes ago, Realist said:

Loving it. Yeah I’ll play the hell out of atlas.

Weren’t you one of those white knights(haven’t used that term in awhile 😉) that was arguing with me all the time in the beginning. Well maybe you should have listened. Just saying.

No..if you remember correctly, you kept trying to characterize me as a white knight, and what I said repeatedly is that I don't care for labels because they put people into boxes, moreover I'm not here to defend the game or the company, just to be fair, and anyone talking smack about a game they haven't played right after it launched wasn't really being fair, were they? You will notice I have criticized both the devs and players complaining about them at various times. I do not see the world in black and white terms, where players are good or bad and developers are good or bad. I see the world as full of grey, where there is most often good and bad to everything, very few things are clear cut. So I call it as I see it, which has yet to leave me as either a white knight or a hater of anything.

9 hours ago, Tiberius_theron said:

soooooooo salty!! 😂

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

No..if you remember correctly, you kept trying to characterize me as a white knight, and what I said repeatedly is that I don't care for labels because they put people into boxes, moreover I'm not here to defend the game or the company, just to be fair, and anyone talking smack about a game they haven't played right after it launched wasn't really being fair, were they? You will notice I have criticized both the devs and players complaining about them at various times. I do not see the world in black and white terms, where players are good or bad and developers are good or bad. I see the world as full of grey, where there is most often good and bad to everything, very few things are clear cut. So I call it as I see it, which has yet to leave me as either a white knight or a hater of anything.

Yeah I still think the other guy was white knighting in the beginning though. His name sounds familiar. You may have changed your tune and made me see the light but a few still have not. 

Just because something is grey doesn’t mean it isn’t black. It just means it is a lighter shade of black. If there was no black it wouldn’t be gray. I always keep that in mind.

dear OP, the unreal engine source code is open source so feel free to enlighten us with your ingenious development skills and put jeremy and his tean to shame by making a better game,... or as i probably sense your most likely unable to wipe your own ass and in the fustration let your phone shitpost for you

Edited by 987962

Well.. cool story bro!! 👍🏻

In seriousness though, yes, atlas is lacking content, there is no denying that, however, I’ve often seen the same people complaining that stuff is to hard to do and complain on lack of content in the same day. 

I often get the impression that a modest percentage of the player base cane here with linear expectations without actually understanding what an open world is all about.

for example, through setting my own goals and not treating it like a race I’ve had many hundreds of hours out of atlas, and frankly, that’s good for a £20 game. 

Ultimately though, their cash grab advertising gave a lot of people false impressions of what to expect from an EA game. And they’re paying for that mistake now. 

Mid they had been more upfront about things or if they had released in a better state, for example, if the current state was the EA release state, I feel things may have gone better.

the game isn’t beyond redemption yet. But I do feel the devs are running out of time to sort it, they need to pick a direction and follow it. For example, PVP and PVE in atlas have adopted massively different play styles, PvE tends to be focused around the building, breeding, exploration aspects of the game and has attracted some creative thinkers. However, many PVE viable play styles have been stupidly taken away from the community due to a knock on effect in an effort to balance certain aspects of PVP. Take Scavenging, creative ways to kill AoD, building restrictions constant weapon and wildlife nerfs to name a few recent ones. Our sandbox gets simpler and smaller with every patch. There’s 50% of their remaining community alienated.

Edited by TerrorTrooper

2 minutes ago, TerrorTrooper said:

Well.. cool story bro!! 👍🏻

In seriousness though, yes, atlas is lacking content, there is no denying that, however, I’ve often seen the same people complaining that stuff is to hard to do and complain on lack of content in the same day. 

I often get the impression that a modest percentage of the player base cane here with linear expectations without actually understanding what an open world is all about.

for example, through setting my own goals and not treating it like a race I’ve had many hundreds of hours out of atlas, and frankly, that’s good for a £20 game. 

Ultimately though, their cash grab advertising gave a lot of people false impressions of what to expect from an EA game. And they’re paying for that mistake now. 

Mid they had been more upfront about things or if they had released in a better state, for example, if the current state was the EA release state, I feel things may have gone better.

the game isn’t beyond redemption yet. But I do feel the devs are running out of time to sort it, they need to pick a direction and follow it. For example, PVP and PVE in atlas have adopted massively different play styles, PvE tends to be focused around the building, breeding, exploration aspects of the game and has attracted some creative thinkers. However, many PVE viable play styles have taken away from the community due to a knock on effect in an effort to balance certain aspects of PVP. Take Scavenging, creative ways to kill AoD, building restrictions constant weapon and wildlife nerfs to name a few recent ones. Our sandbox gets simpler and smaller with every patch. There’s 50% of their remaining community alienated.

I get where you are coming from by from but to be honest almost 50% is unofficial. 

You cant look at it like pvp and pve, because it is more official and unofficial. 

So let say the playerbase is average 2800 which it is. Almost half of that is unofficial. So let’s say 1400 people play official. From what I have seen there is a pretty good 50/50 split on pvp and pve.

that would be somewhere around 700 people that you say are being negatively affected. But to be honest, the whole official workup(claims included) are the problem in the first place.

you first have to ask yourself why are people playing unofficial. Not just that but single player, Blackwood, dedicated. The problem isn’t with pvp or pve. The problem is official, because when you add all the numbers up official servers are what the problem really is.

there is no debating that.

19 minutes ago, 987962 said:

dear OP, the unreal engine source code is open source so feel free to enlighten us with your ingenious development skills and put jeremy and his tean to shame by making a better game,... or as i probably sense your most likely unable to wipe your own ass and in the fustration let your phone shitpost for you

Well jeremy is pretty shameful in the first place so I don’t teally know what to say about your comment.

i get where you are coming from by being defensive but you probably shouldn’t try to defend Jeremy. He isn’t a good person

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Realist said:

I get where you are coming from by from but to be honest almost 50% is unofficial. 

You cant look at it like pvp and pve, because it is more official and unofficial. 

So let say the playerbase is average 2800 which it is. Almost half of that is unofficial. So let’s say 1400 people play official. From what I have seen there is a pretty good 50/50 split on pvp and pve.

that would be somewhere around 700 people that you say are being negatively affected. But to be honest, the whole official workup(claims included) are the problem in the first place.

you first have to ask yourself why are people playing unofficial. Not just that but single player, Blackwood, dedicated. The problem isn’t with pvp or pve. The problem is official, because when you add all the numbers up official servers are what the problem really is.

Well jeremy is pretty shameful in the first place so I don’t teally know what to say about your comment.

i get where you are coming from by being defensive but you probably shouldn’t try to defend Jeremy. He isn’t a good person

Good point on the math, well made, 

although some of the issues do transcend between official and unofficial too.

for example, ships, this is a game that was meant to be centred heavily around the ocean, yet we have had no new ships since day one and the only non player entities to use them on haven’t really changed either. Players have been crying out for new ships and ocean going content, and what do we get? cats, seahorses and plague carying rats amongst other things that nobody really asked for 😂

14 minutes ago, Realist said:

im defending noone , i dont know the man personally but hes work has given us more entertainment hours than the entire movie industry combined for fraction of a price ...  think about that for a second, so to come here and piss on another mens work without anything to show for saiz more about op then the shit hes trying to deface...  thats the way i see it.  

2 minutes ago, TerrorTrooper said:

Good point on the math, well made, 

although some of the issues do transcend between official and unofficial too.

for example, ships, this is a game that was meant to be centred heavily around the ocean, yet we have had no new ships since day one and the only non player entities to use them on haven’t really changed either. Players have been crying out for new ships and ocean going content, and what do we get? cats, seahorses and plague carying rats amongst other things that nobody really asked for 😂

Well yeah man. Of course I am with you on the ships. That is a bigtime fail on their part. 6 months in and they definitely need at least one new ship type. Along these lines I would like to address that they should not just release multiple types. That would screw then over as well.

lets say every mega patch is one new ship type. That should actually be sufficient. But yeah you are totally right. Making a pirate game and then going months without an extra ship would be considered unacceptable in my eyes as well.

p.s. Don’t be talking shit about cats. We have a cat gang around here and we know how to deal with those kinds of people lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 987962 said:

im defending noone , i dont know the man personally but hes work has given us more entertainment hours than the entire movie industry combined for fraction of a price ...  think about that for a second, so to come here and piss on another mens work without anything to show for saiz more about op then the shit hes trying to deface...  thats the way i see it.  

I know plenty about jeremy and one of the main things I know is that he made it to where I had to pay for a dlc when ark was in early access. Don’t bother with the “oh, but that is ok crap” it’s not.

it wasn’t the company that made that happen. It was Jeremy’s unethical behavior that cause his company to do that.

you don’t have to personally know someone to know if they are good or not. Simple as that. If they have been caught doing multiple bad things then I really don’t care if he donates to charity lol

49 minutes ago, 987962 said:

They have some good artists and obviously have talent on the technical side.  The problem is in game design and the execution of that design.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 987962 said:

I could send you a pile of elephant dung, tall as a mountain, for even smaller cost.

Think about the endless hours of fun you could be having with it.

Would that raise me to the same demigod level in your belief system?

I'd argue that's money well spent.

Well. Better than certain other things, at least.

for someone who had over 1200 hours......i stopped playing about a month and a half ago.......jumped back in yesterday out of some weird curiosity with blackwood...

turned it off after ten minutes....

went into my pve to see i lost all my base buildings,animals ect...but i had galleon still sat there lol....now there would have been a time when that would have raged me to the point of quitting....i just laughed as i no longer give a toss..(and i knew the decay timers were going to be up )..its all just a reminder of time wasted.

all 13 of my old crew and its allies no longer play.

i still read this forum though when on the bog as one does,just thought id make one final post......good luck to you all that still play.

i dont understand any of you..but fair play

• Like 1