This might not be what the game needs the most right now, but I think there's not enough interesting feats to use with melee weapons.
       There are like 5 feats in the weaponry skill tree, 3 of them are just buffs to your attacks. So we end up with Circular Slice for swords, and Tremendous Force for Maces. Come on, we need something better than just spinning once with a sword or hitting the ground really hard with a mace! The Pike doesn't even have a usable feat. At least give us 1 more actual feat for each weapon.
       Maybe a lunge for the sword where you do a quick jump forward with a stab, inflicting bleed/stun.
       An impaling charge with the pike which you can change directions mid-charge, dealing big damage based in distance traveled, maybe even dragging players along like when they're grabbed by lions. (BTW why is the pike's main attack a horizontal slash? Make it a thrust with no forced movement and camera lock like in ARK! Maybe a bit slower for balance).
       The mace can have like an uppercut where the user jumps with the momentum of the upward swing, moving a little forward while knocking up/inflicting massive torpor to the target.
       Maybe more weapon types would be cool. A lot of icons in the two-handed skill tree represent a two-handed sword being used so I'd really like to see that implemented into a real weapon in-game. The blackjack and Throwing knives have special uses but maybe they should get some love too? I don't really know how tho.
       Those are my ideas. All of them have a bit of mobility to help with the rather static movements of most weapons. Hopefully I'm not suggesting something that's too hard to implement..  Sure, they're not historically accurate, but this game wasn't meant to represent historical pirates anyways. You know, with cyclops, magic, undeads and all of that.
       If you have anything you'd like to say, feel free to do so 🙂 .

Edited by Lacer

I agree that at least one feat per major weapon type would be nice, to break the monotony of the exact same attack every time, considering how many points we have to spend to unlock the various skills, and I also agree having a spear/pike slash is bizarre.

Traditional pirates certainly had a variety of melee weapons to choose from - stilettos, cutlasses, epees, and sabres come to mind, and they would each excel at some important aspect, from speed to penetration to power. Would seem like an easy job to develop some scale-able abilities and feats to accompany those attributes. (Bleed on Stilletto, Armor penetration on Epees, Stagger on Cutlass, Parry on Sabres). I don't recall anything relating to Pikes or Two-Handed Maces in the pirate lore I have read, so it seems a bit bizarre that they have them at all, but... dinosaurs.

They can add all the weapons in the world, but without animation support, they will all feel hollow and repetitive.

The whole melee tree is pretty unrewarding and barely functional really, it feels like a placeholder for a real system that has yet to be created.

15 hours ago, Sleepinator2000 said:

Traditional pirates certainly had a variety of melee weapons to choose from - stilettos, cutlasses, epees, and sabres come to mind, and they would each excel at some important aspect, from speed to penetration to power. Would seem like an easy job to develop some scale-able abilities and feats to accompany those attributes. (Bleed on Stilletto, Armor penetration on Epees, Stagger on Cutlass, Parry on Sabres). I don't recall anything relating to Pikes or Two-Handed Maces in the pirate lore I have read, so it seems a bit bizarre that they have them at all, but... dinosaurs.

Being a Golden Age of Sail Sailor/pirate re-enactor, I giggle when I read things like this statement. Pirates and Sailors of the period would use lots of weapons. Traditional ones are Cutlass, knives, axes, pikes and even tools used in ship repair like big hammers and the like. Stilletto's and Eppee's are hollywood. That being said....

I agree that the pike slash is silly, although not improbable. A thrust attack would be a primary attack. Pikes were used for anti-boarding, the sailors standing at the rails holding them to prevent other ship sailors from jumping on board. They were just to long for normal fighting on ship, but go on land and a swinging slash could be useful and planted on the ground angled up would be good for charging beasties.

The sword has a variety of attack already, but a power assisted feat could be useful. 

Pistols and musket/carbine are good and I like the animation for reloading because it really shows how slow those weapons were, but please get rid of the silly mini-game. I haven't seen any use for it. does it do anything? Oh... and the range... those weapons were smooth bores and round balls... they were "maybe" accurate to 25 - 50 yards. 

The bow is nice but should only be an early game weapon, let us get to the pistols quicker. 😄

anyway, I agree, there should be some more love to the weapons.

On 7/30/2019 at 6:58 AM, Geminia_Sierra said:

Being a Golden Age of Sail Sailor/pirate re-enactor, I giggle when I read things like this statement. Pirates and Sailors of the period would use lots of weapons. Traditional ones are Cutlass, knives, axes, pikes and even tools used in ship repair like big hammers and the like. Stilletto's and Eppee's are hollywood. That being said...

Point taken on the hollywoodness of the epee, but I'll stand by the stiletto. They came into vogue among Italian barbary pirates, and were a common multi-tool for cannoneers who would use them for clearing fuse holes.

1 hour ago, Sleepinator2000 said:

Point taken on the hollywoodness of the epee, but I'll stand by the stiletto. They came into vogue among Italian barbary pirates, and were a common multi-tool for cannoneers who would use them for clearing fuse holes.

I'll give you that a stiletto might have been used as a knife by some. Not a working knife of a sailor though. It would be WAY to big to clear the touch hole(vent is the proper term) of a cannon. Something the size of a metal coat hanger or smaller would have been used. I know this too because we shoot cannons.

Vent Prick

stiletto

How big are the cannons you fire for re-enactments? The tall ships and replicas I have visited usually sport 8-pounders and up. I recall the holes being larger than my thumb (though admittedly my thumbs were smaller when I visited many of them). 🙂