Drynin629

Blackwood Map, NO FISH!

Blackwood is not a dev-team priority at the moment.
They're trying to fix the core gameplay on the Ocean map first.
But they will definitely focus on private servers and single-player afterwards.

The past few dev teams left a bit of a mess they're trying to clean up.
As you may have noticed from the dev news, the current team is passionate about fixing the game for the long-term.
Not for the current testers, but for everyone trying this game in the future. Don't expect the game to match their vision for at least a while.

If (and it's a mighty big "if") they ever revisit the Blackwood map, it would be nice if they also fixed the issue where the ocean offshore of one of the islands doesn't behave like ocean.

If you walk far enough away from shore, you suddenly drop to the bottom as if you were still on land. If you fall far enough, you take fall damage (possibly dying). And you're still walking, not swimming, so you can't just swim your way back up, you have to walk along the sea floor all the way to shore (assuming you can find a slope gentle enough to climb).

What's more, this also affects any tames you happen to be riding or have on follow.

The only good thing about this is, the game still acts like you're on land, so you don't start using up your oxygen meter.

On 2/2/2021 at 3:48 PM, CompactDisc said:

Blackwood is not a dev-team priority at the moment.
They're trying to fix the core gameplay on the Ocean map first.
But they will definitely focus on private servers and single-player afterwards.

The past few dev teams left a bit of a mess they're trying to clean up.
As you may have noticed from the dev news, the current team is passionate about fixing the game for the long-term.
Not for the current testers, but for everyone trying this game in the future. Don't expect the game to match their vision for at least a while.

I couldn’t disagree more with the first part yes I agree the base game needs the glitches and bugs fixed but I actually enjoyed the game compared to what I’m seeing from the new bunch, these guys can’t design ships to save themselves the layout of the cracken ship is terrible and u can’t even move about the ship unless ur a dwarf. Then you have the farmhouses an idea I kinda enjoyed at the start but and it’s a big but it almost destroys the need for any kind of tames I mean why tame if there useless. The gold values for ships may be a great thing on established servers but it’s an absolute killer when starting a server one of the most used mods is no gold shipyard I mean surely that tells them something? The removal of the ability to let people build and design there own ships is a complete joke and will destroy atlas as a game. If they want to fix the game they need to work on the spawning system for the animals on land and sea 

• Like 1

So, been playing Blackwood for a couple weeks now, roughly. There's absolutely fish on or around most islands, although any freshwater fish can be difficult to locate, other than on the central Freeport island. Catfish are plentiful there, and other resources seem to be fairly easy to get, especially once you can place a mine for metals. The only resource types we had an issue with were gems (only available on the southern 3 islands), and a few other very specific resources (acerolla, rosemary, rice, maize - found on southern desert island and western central island).

No islands except the northern and northeastern, as far as we've discovered, have sea life. Monster whale seems to favor the southern islands, SotD can be found north and southeast of Freeport (and possibly elsewhere), flotsam and shipwrecks are reasonably common, and cyclops are dicks. There's only 2 of us on a private dedicated, so we're just now at the schooner ship level, but food and resources are easily managed. We've lost one sloop thus far to a whale, and lots of tamed bears and ostriches (bears to cyclops), but we also managed to kill a cyclops.

Skullclap Island is fairly easy, except for the lions, and since heat seems to be just as much a killer as most aggressive animals, that's where we made our home, since it's apparently easier to stay warm than cool. Lots of sea bass and manta rays for endless fish supplies, and lots of other animals for other meat. Plus garlic grows in the wild. Mods have helped with farming issues, and other than QoL mods like Atlas Plus, we've been fine.

Came back to the game after a few years and started on Blackwood - still no sea life outside the freeport. This is an old af bug and I havent been able to convince my friends to join because ya'll have a reputation for not addressing core issues like this.