Sign in to follow this  
Talono

In which direction should the devs develop their next patches ?

In which direction should the devs develop their next patches ?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What shall be the devs focus for the next patches ?

• Cats, strange pets only for megatribes, new caves only for megatibes
    • New ships, ship classes, ship mechanics and ship components
    • New building materials, building components and building mechanics
    • New weapons, weapon mechanics, ammo types
    • Anti-cheat development, measurements against exploiters

I'm sure they Atlas Devs will do everything they can think of in an attempt to bring back Mega Companies.  And the player base will continue to shrink.  They'll also try to think of more gold sinks and claim they are "working on the economy".

Oh look another Talono thread whining about mega companies

Megas don't even exist anymore, I doubt any company has more than like 20-40active players

Nothing new, just fix the fucking bugs you already have, balance your stupid game or nobody cba to play it

4 hours ago, oni said:

Nothing new, just fix the fucking bugs you already have, balance your stupid game or nobody cba to play it

I know at my job the people I wanna listen to the most and do what they want are the ones the hurl profanity and insults at me.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gremlin_senpai said:

Oh look another Talono thread whining about mega companies

Megas don't even exist anymore, I doubt any company has more than like 20-40active players

Lol, this guy might only have 13 posts, but he’s got Talono’s number for sure.

Senpai indeed.

*bows*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Lol, this guy might only have 13 posts, but he’s got Talono’s number for sure.

Senpai indeed.

*bows*

Must be free tissue day or something, sure a lot of crying going on.

I would like to point out that tames still have a 1 to 4 ratio in this. But the thing is, the only reason tames aren’t 100% is because they haven’t made a new ships.

if they went and put a couple more ships types in the game we would be right back to everyone wanting tames.

i mean they haven’t added one ship type at all since release and it is still only 60%. Let’s be teal here. Once they add ship types... people are going to want house tames and in a big way. This is how it is

7 hours ago, Realist said:

I would like to point out that tames still have a 1 to 4 ratio in this. But the thing is, the only reason tames aren’t 100% is because they haven’t made a new ships.

if they went and put a couple more ships types in the game we would be right back to everyone wanting tames.

i mean they haven’t added one ship type at all since release and it is still only 60%. Let’s be teal here. Once they add ship types... people are going to want house tames and in a big way. This is how it is

I’ve seen quite a few people who are primarily interested in the pirate aspects of Atlas ask for new ship types and say explicitly that they don’t care about tames at all, so I don’t think we’d be right back to everyone wanting tames.  They have added new tames in multiple updates and have yet to add any new ship types. This frankly strikes me as a bit weird given Atlas’s supposed pirate theme, and I say that as someone perfectly fine with tames who isn’t playing Atlas purely for ship based pirating adventures. A bit weird, but not the end of the world the way some seem to think.

Also, I refuse to be teal.

Edited by boomervoncannon

More building options 😛  and not the kind of building people would use to make stronger pvp minded gated and honeycombed ugly box builds  but,  immersion minded stuff. would be my choice there. I am certain that they are all ready working on most of the others or at least have the idea to add them over time.

More beasts to play with? Sure, not harmful and always a fun hobby.

More ship designs? Sure, why not.

New weapons? Eh, don't see a problem with that. Having at least one option to counter something is nice, I love the new harpoon for instance.

Anti cheat and taking care of exploiters, don't see why they would not be trying to catch that one.

This is a hard time for the devs to bring some new stuff, which will raise player base again.

I voted for new ships etc. but what happens when they will release it? Im pretty sure that everyone has a big resd box and could build this new big boat instant or with the next x2 gathering event. Maybe people will comeback to try it out, but its not a "play for month again" thing.

They need to add a new challenge......like new hard caves or world bosses.

My 2 pennies. 

I think, bugs, hacks and exploit need to be addressed and fix before adding new content.

People using cheats need to be punished. Your not going to get a serious crowd of players when they invest 1k hours only to have some one exploiting and wipe them. This is honestly the biggest reason my wife joined a "mega" company. Not to prevent this but rather to make the rebuild less painful. Your never going to stop it. People always look for that advantage. Punishing it, making the crime cost more then the reward will however put faith back into the players mind. 

They need to fix the bugs before they start adding new stuff. Have you ever played an older game with an annoying bug? You tell some one about and they say "its always been like that, and now the game to big to fix..." This is the stage to clean that shit up.

This get this stuff fix and going right then worry about new ship content, which should be the next step.

This thread is hilarious.

Thanks for the laughs.

But just for the sake of fun I voted for cats, lmfao

(it's probably what you will get anyways)

Edited by sgzeroone

They've already said before that they aren't working currently on new ships as they would add heavy loads to server performance. New ships may come in the future, but right now I don't think it's being worked on.

5 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

They've already said before that they aren't working currently on new ships as they would add heavy loads to server performance. New ships may come in the future, but right now I don't think it's being worked on.

Oh the community just have to cry louder. Look at single-player. Was nearly the same situation.

A technical hurdle we have with ships is the memory footprint they add to the game. With all the unique pieces on a boat, just by introducing a new type, we end up adding a lot of memory and there isn't really any other gameplay aspect that's comparable to it, once we make some improvements and overhauls to this system, it'll become a lot more likely that we'll be able to add additional ships, not to say that it won't happen now, but this is one of the things we have to workaround. Memory is an important aspect as it's something we need to consider when getting ATLAS to launch on console later on. 

It's why in the past when we have decided to do introduce an update that effects ships, it tends to be based on introducing mechanics that work with ships, so think ship weapons/structures, their attachment system etc: Racks, Ballista Harpoon, Fishing Net. 

The attachment system is pretty robust, so it wouldn't be surprising to see new systems based around it. 

• Like 3

How long were you planning to stay in Early Access? I vaguely recall hearing something about it being aprox 2 years. In any case, theres a long road... or a big ocean - whatever terminology you prefer - ahead until release day.  🙂

Just now, Wotannatow said:

How long were you planning to stay in Early Access? I vaguely recall hearing something about it being aprox 2 years. In any case, theres a long road... or a big ocean - whatever terminology you prefer - ahead until release day.  🙂

Hopefully, until we're satisfied with the state of the game 😛

We're targetting 1.5 - 2 years though. 

16 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

A technical hurdle we have with ships is the memory footprint they add to the game. With all the unique pieces on a boat, just by introducing a new type, we end up adding a lot of memory and there isn't really any other gameplay aspect that's comparable to it, once we make some improvements and overhauls to this system, it'll become a lot more likely that we'll be able to add additional ships, not to say that it won't happen now, but this is one of the things we have to workaround. Memory is an important aspect as it's something we need to consider when getting ATLAS to launch on console later on. 

It's why in the past when we have decided to do introduce an update that effects ships, it tends to be based on introducing mechanics that work with ships, so think ship weapons/structures, their attachment system etc: Racks, Ballista Harpoon, Fishing Net. 

The attachment system is pretty robust, so it wouldn't be surprising to see new systems based around it. 

Well can we trade off useless libraries that are loaded to help control the memory footprint?  Like lets get rid of the dingy, it's useless.  Heck, remove the sub and all the underwater libraries in the stack.  A more diverse selection of ships designs would probably be better received.  Or even specialized ships for certain tasks than to just make the existing ships modular with attachments.  This reminds me of the early days of SWG when everyone wore the same armor and it really hurt the community who wanted to show their individual uniqueness.

9 minutes ago, sgzeroone said:

Well can we trade off useless libraries that are loaded to help control the memory footprint?  Like lets get rid of the dingy, it's useless.  Heck, remove the sub and all the underwater libraries in the stack.  A more diverse selection of ships designs would probably be better received.  Or even specialized ships for certain tasks than to just make the existing ships modular with attachments.  This reminds me of the early days of SWG when everyone wore the same armor and it really hurt the community who wanted to show their individual uniqueness.

Those structures/objects are negligible in comparison. We recognize that a more diverse selection of ship designs would be better received and we would like to give players more options not only for gameplay reasons but forging their own identities within the game and allowing them as much customization as possible, it's just more of a long term goal 😉

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

With all the unique pieces on a boat, just by introducing a new type, we end up adding a lot of memory and there isn't really any other gameplay aspect that's comparable to it

So the ships just existing take up memory, or only after they're built? If the latter, couldn't you add a ship smaller than a Galleon such as a Frigate?

29 minutes ago, 6Xero9 said:

So the ships just existing take up memory, or only after they're built? If the latter, couldn't you add a ship smaller than a Galleon such as a Frigate?

Just their existence, it isn't an unsolvable problem, it'll just take some time. 

• Thanks 1

If it's different parts that's the issue, something you could use to fill the gap would be same ship differing stats.

A combat, exploration and cargo version of each of the ships would i'm sure be well received.

And will give greater variation with less load when you do bring out new ship types.