Sturmberg World Bank

ONE WORLD FOR ALL PvPvE - UPDATE: DEV POST

Always said a mixed server with all the game play on one, never thought of 17 genders (pukes in mouth).

In its simplest form PVP north, PVE south, divide it at the equator. Theres got to be a way to let the two interact, some want to PVP or PVE at different times. Make the environment hard regardless, no more PVE sissy stuff. Make the wildlife mean on the PVE side, some animals you have to defend a base against, and make the PVP actually about fighting each other, not just kicking in the door when their offline.

I think, that a PvX server would makes sense, but thats only me. Pretty sure a few people wouldnt love this decision + implementing this system comes together with a server wipe (i would say).

What i want to say is.  Damnit Boomer you pissed him off..    But I wont..   

10 hours ago, Jatheish said:

Now that these alternative game modes and Blackwood are out the door (albeit with issues we'll need to resolve over time), our attention will be on the Mass Multiplayer version of the game, as that is our team's main priority, which you'll see over the months ahead.

Probably should have done that the other way round. Now 99% of your Player-base on officials are gone and for pretty much everyone i know there is little to no chance to return. I know, you dont care right now and hope to regain them all (or even better, new ones) when your alpha phase is over... but the initial hype is over and the window of opportunity probably closed for good.

1 minute ago, Grongash said:

Probably should have done that the other way round. Now 99% of your Player-base on officials are gone and for pretty much everyone i know there is little to no chance to return. I know, you dont care right now and hope to regain them all (or even better, new ones) when your alpha phase is over... but the initial hype is over and the window of opportunity probably closed for good.

Official PvE player base is dropping, but single player and unofficials get new players. I think its not negative.

4 minutes ago, Grongash said:

I think it's fair to say a lot of players had already departed before any time, thought, or effort was put into those alternative game modes. As for Blackwood, it's development did start much earlier but was primarily handled by one developer up until the last two weeks to get it out the door and deal with the technical issues.

Obviously the openworld game has its issues, we don't shy from that, but it's clear the direction the team had taken with our updates weren't really impactful in turning the ship around. You could argue that taking a break from it allows us to give it a fresh perspective and tackle different things in order to get ATLAS to where it needs to be.

As for not caring, you're highly mistaken. This isn't just a job for a lot of the people here, it's a passion and everyone wants to see the project succeed.

There's still a lot more work to do and will be continuing to do it over the months ahead. Whether people choose to return or stick around, that's up to them but the team will always put it's best efforts forward in that regards.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

I think it's fair to say a lot of players had already departed before any time, thought, or effort was put into those alternative game modes. As for Blackwood, it's development did start much earlier but was primarily handled by one developer up until the last two weeks to get it out the door and deal with the technical issues.

Obviously the openworld game has its issues, we don't shy from that, but it's clear the direction the team had taken with our updates weren't really impactful in turning the ship around. You could argue that taking a break from it allows us to give it a fresh perspective and tackle different things in order to get ATLAS to where it needs to be.

As for not caring, you're highly mistaken. This isn't just a job for a lot of the people here, it's a passion and everyone wants to see the project succeed.

There's still a lot more work to do and will be continuing to do it over the months ahead. Whether people choose to return or stick around, that's up to them but the team will always put it's best efforts forward in that regards.

Taking a closer look at the decay timers would go a great lengths, at least for PvE. Tailor it to your customers, small groups of friends or Solo players, i would see it more of a CO-OP really. There are almost no Megas in PvE, people don't like to aggregate in large groups unless they have to.

More and better communication would help a lot too, i always liked the "to come" part of the patch notes, it gave you an idea about what you worked on (even without dates, just as a road map). With the lack of communication on the official forums this project does feel abandoned, even if it isn't.

QoL, QoL, QoL.. i know you did a lot in that sector, but take a look at the mods around and consider weaving it into the basegame.

Just now, Grongash said:

Taking a closer look at the decay timers would go a great lengths, at least for PvE. Tailor it to your customers, small groups of friends or Solo players, i would see it more of a CO-OP really. There are almost no Megas in PvE, people don't like to aggregate in large groups unless they have to.

More and better communication would help a lot too, i always liked the "to come" part of the patch notes, it gave you an idea about what you worked on (even without dates, just as a road map). With the lack of communication on the official forums this project does feel abandoned, even if it isn't.

QoL, QoL, QoL.. i know you did a lot in that sector, but take a look at the mods around and consider weaving it into the basegame.

These are things we had actually spoken about today, at least in regards to additional QoL,  taking a look at what mods are doing, and decay timers. I can't say any of it will change in the immediate future but we are certainly looking into these areas.

As for 'to come' in the next Mega Update, so far it'll be what we've revealed thus far in Capts Logs, we can update the notes to include those. Beyond that, we'll be sharing details soon-ish and may even have a roadmap of sorts (no promises 😜)

• Thanks 1

I agree with @krazmuze in what he says that a combined pve pvp server will drive away a lot of the more "pure" pve and / or pvp people. And I will add that a forced combined pve/pvp server certainly would make me (pure pve player), want to quit. Especially if that was the only option to get access to a big world/map the size that it is today.

It is precisely the possibility of having the world of atlas free from pvp that makes me love the game. I can build and farm and explore in peace and quiet and don't have to deal with people ruining all my stuff.  🙂 I also agree with what krazmuze said that a combined pvp/pve server would Most likely have the best resources gated behind a pvp "gate". So no thanks, I love pure pve.   🙂

11 hours ago, Jatheish said:

These are things we had actually spoken about today, at least in regards to additional QoL,  taking a look at what mods are doing, and decay timers. I can't say any of it will change in the immediate future but we are certainly looking into these areas.

As for 'to come' in the next Mega Update, so far it'll be what we've revealed thus far in Capts Logs, we can update the notes to include those. Beyond that, we'll be sharing details soon-ish and may even have a roadmap of sorts (no promises 😜)

We gotta say that we players from all over the world share your passion for this game and follow you through your way to the top. So theres altready a existing community and playerbase which is a huge success and as long as you dont punish us with upkeep costs... With the coming updates, more people will realize how awesome ATLAS is, we hope you guys keep your courage to test out things, like putting everything together in one world and test out modes. I m not a PvP player myself but its funny having a fight from time to time and its making the world more interesting. I guess a lot of people agree with me if in that point.

I guess the biggest challenge for you developers is to find out what people really want between all those complains or wishes. Whats most urgent etc... I wish we would have votings by devs for that.

Greetings from the Bear King on PVE EU

Edited by Egon von Sturmberg

On 7/27/2019 at 12:56 AM, Egon von Sturmberg said:

I keep this  thread open for your thoughts, but instead of splitting players with single player mode, huge company servers.. small company servers... private servers...Pve...Pvp..and one server for each of the 17 genders, it should be the goal to put them all in one massive online world, which is having diffrent regions with diffrent rules.

have you even considered people who went PvE went there for a reason?

3 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

have you even considered people who went PvE went there for a reason?

Why do you think, playin Pve like we do at the moment isnt possible combined with PvP, which is happening somewhere else in the world?

I think Ill leave this here

2 minutes ago, Egon von Sturmberg said:

Why do you think, playin Pve like we do at the moment isnt possible combined with PvP, which is happening somewhere else in the world?

The many private servers out there with mixed PvE and PvP  grids  prove this works. EvE Online proves this works. WoW proves mixed servers work. Ark/Atlas have a lot of absolutist thinkers who seem to not be able imagine the game beyond its current circumstances.

The Movie '' Ready Player One'' which gave us a scary view into the future, teached and reminds us what we all want, playin together in a huge world. And since this movie we all know that the great James Halliday never had sex😀. ATLAS will be the early version of the OASIS and the Grandmother of the Matrix:classic_laugh:!

Edited by Egon von Sturmberg
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

The many private servers out there with mixed PvE and PvP  grids  prove this works. EvE Online proves this works. WoW proves mixed servers work. Ark/Atlas have a lot of absolutist thinkers who seem to not be able imagine the game beyond its current circumstances.

That doesn't prove anything.  Many PvE players dislike the PvP environment as a whole.  It can be pretty toxic.  On a private server you have the option of GMing your environment to keep  griefing, exploiting and toxic environments in check.

The only real successful mix of pvp and pve keeps them entirely separate, where PvE people dont' get stuck having to rely on PvP aspects of the game to progress, and they don't have to put up with the bad behavior and chat.  If you keep the two entirely separate, then you might as well just put them on different servers.  There's no benefit to combining them, especially if it means the server pop. goes up enough to make land scarce again.  Most of the suggested designs give the PvE players the short end of the stick when that happens - a claim anywhere design, where PvP essentially gets both areas and PvE only gets one of them, etc.

Edited by Winter Thorne

12 hours ago, Jatheish said:

Jat there is no need to reinvent the wheel, rly, is just a matter of basic psychology, would you keep writing lines of code in a computer that fully resets every time you are afk for more than X minutes? ofc not, why? progress. no one likes to lose their progress, as it symbolizes the time and effort players have put in the game as well as the direction you are moving towards and all of that has an impact in your motivation as a gamer, by implementing a decay system not only the game is chasing away players that could potentially come back to the game if their progress was still there, it also affects the motivation of people who plays the game, because who wants to work towards something when you know your time and effort will all be for naught if you ever decide to quit for a while? imo its an unnecessary feature that adds no value to the game while at the same time has a heavy cost.

Would also like to point out that the game feels very solo player unfriendly, you are supposed to be a pirate yet you have to live under a feudal lord, and to be honest as a solo player who enjoys to play solo (clarification: not to confuse playing solo and playing alone, they are not the same) being forced to join groupal content to unlock game features doesnt feel pirate-ish at all, isnt the very essence of being a pirate all about freedom of choice?

edit: Its funny because just as i had finished writing i loged in the game to spend few hrs doing w/e only to find my small base demolished even tho there was nothing valuable in it, even the fundations were demolished, as if it had never existed, needless to say as a person who values his time this simply means close the game, go play something else.

Edited by The D Legacy

6 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

The only real successful mix of pvp and pve keeps them entirely separate, where PvE people dont' get stuck having to rely on PvP aspects of the game to progress, and they don't have to put up with the bad behavior and chat.  If you keep the two entirely separate, then you might as well just put them on different servers.  There's no benefit to combining them, especially if it means the server pop. goes up enough to make land scarce again.

I mean, you are free to have an opinion; everyone in this thread who plays PvE (including myself) seems to disagree. I would love to build warships in a PvE zone and sell them to a mega alliance for thier war efforts, but maybe that's just me....

Edited by PeglegTheAngry
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Egon von Sturmberg said:

well i think you need to go deeper into what you mean exactly before giving you a proper answer but if i guessed correctly my answer would be: imagine the people who simply wants to do trade runs getting unwillingly involved into a sea battle as an easy example.

Just now, The D Legacy said:

well i think you need to go deeper into what you mean exactly before giving you a proper answer but if i guessed correctly my answer would be: imagine the people who simply wants to do trade runs getting unwillingly involved into a sea battle as an easy example.

Did you read my proposal? All you would have to do is stick to Empire tiles or tiles belonging to Sovereign Trade companies. Unless you are at war with them or their Navy you are free to sail. It's kinda the way EvE Online works, but you cant be suicide ganked.

6 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

All you would have to do is stick to Empire tiles or tiles belonging to Sovereign Trade companies. Unless you are at war with them or their Navy you are free to sail. It's kinda the way EvE Online works, but you cant be suicide ganked.

But that is the PVx design that PVE players do not want.    All of the PVx by design proclaim you are safe as long as you stay over here, but soon as you cross that line you get ganked.   But the lines are drawn such that you would want to cross them  - and Atlas is by design the same way.   Advanced blueprints require you to travel the world to get all the resources and all the stones/essences - which means you will get involved in the wars.  This is a designed to create conflict resulting in PVP.

Edited by krazmuze
  • Like 1

But that is the PVx design that PVE players do not want. 

You speak for all of us now?

How do you know that PvE waters wouldnt be  interconnected and always follow a "tradewind" ?

Couldn't you also... you know, trade to get stuff?

You think to narrowly.

Clearly you do not understand the atlas design that requires every player to have access to every grid to advance, it is why it makes for great PVP because it inherently creates conflict.

trade with PVPers and get involved in wars politics is exactly what PVE does not want.  Being restricted to trade waters and safe zones is not what PVE wants.

You are not a PVE player if that is what you want - you are a PvPvE player.  Nothing wrong with that label in promoting your idea - there are many PVE that would simply not play on a PvPvE server.

The reality is you need PVP, PVE, PvPvE, SP and coop to fit all playstyles.    Feel free to promote your playstyle and champion your servers, but I think you can do that without denigrating other playstyles.

5 minutes ago, krazmuze said:
  1. Clearly you do not understand the atlas design that requires every player to have access to every grid to advance, it is why it makes for great PVP because it inherently creates conflict.
  2. trade with PVPers and get involved in wars politics is exactly what PVE does not want.  Being restricted to trade waters and safe zones is not what PVE wants.
  3. You are not a PVE player if that is what you want - you are a PvPvE player.  Nothing wrong with that label in promoting your idea - there are many PVE that would simply not play on a PvPvE server.
  4. The reality is you need PVP, PVE, PvPvE, SP and coop to fit all playstyles.    Feel free to promote your playstyle and champion your servers, but I think you can do that without denigrating other playstyles.

1: It does NOT. I PROMISE you that you can find five types of each resource and mythos within 5 tiles of a polar region. If you have to cross the whole map, you are doing something wrong.

2: You do not represent all players.

3: I am a Pv$ player. Player versus Economy.

4: Yeah, because its working super well right now. The population is BOOMing. You are comfortable with the game the way it is. You dont want change... that's understandable.

Edited by PeglegTheAngry