Sturmberg World Bank

ONE WORLD FOR ALL PvPvE - UPDATE: DEV POST

I understand all that concernings and the fear of losin something. But the devs with all theire possibilties can combine that without makin Pve players losin somethin or make them have to travel to a pvp zone. It should be more a win win situation for both sides and its definetly possible. I dont wanna have to sail to pvp myself but i guess, sometimes if i decide to go there or having a base there. Pvp players would win, if they have more companys and players they can fight with. I know from several pve companys that they have the wish for some pvp from time to time.

I know from several pve companys that they have the wish for some pvp from time to time.

Exactly.

If this dude read my post they'd also understand they would have protection in PvP grids from the local company or its navy. Pirate grids would be known and avoided. Since all the lawless tiles touch, you would never have to cross into dangerous water; since those tiles would be empire space PvE.

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

Same parent company as Dark and Light. Full prediction this will meet the same fate. All the Ark players have gone back to Ark. (our company of 20 is down to 3 people who log on just to feed animals and crew and keeps the lights on, in Discord everyone went back to Ark) As development money continues to dry up, they will start to cut staff, and people that were tasked to be under Grapeshot that are any good will get their jobs at Wildcard back. The others not so much. Many people gave them a chance because they promised a PVE environment pirate-themed mmo. But what they got was a tacked on afterthought. Systems and mechanics used in the PVE environment that were obvious to anyone that they came straight from a "PVP first" mentality. Shame really, the game for UE4 was a beauty, if they had spent the time and effort rather than rushing it out the door to EA to cashgrab they could have had a hit. As it is they are known as the "pirate Bless." I had never had any interaction with Ark or their games before, and I sure as hell won't be in the future. Best $15 bucks I ever spent, spending time figuring out what was broken and how much of my progress had been invalidated by kneejerk development decisions that week was always a high point. In the future any title they put out will get the same response from me as the Russian guy who likes to reskin the same game over and over and release it as EA. A hard nope. Oh, and where's my hat?

Just now, UnknownSystemError said:

Same parent company as Dark and Light. Full prediction this will meet the same fate. All the Ark players have gone back to Ark. (our company of 20 is down to 3 people who log on just to feed animals and crew and keeps the lights on, in Discord everyone went back to Ark) As development money continues to dry up, they will start to cut staff, and people that were tasked to be under Grapeshot that are any good will get their jobs at Wildcard back. The others not so much. Many people gave them a chance because they promised a PVE environment pirate-themed mmo. But what they got was a tacked on afterthought. Systems and mechanics used in the PVE environment that were obvious to anyone that they came straight from a "PVP first" mentality. Shame really, the game for UE4 was a beauty, if they had spent the time and effort rather than rushing it out the door to EA to cashgrab they could have had a hit. As it is they are known as the "pirate Bless." I had never had any interaction with Ark or their games before, and I sure as hell won't be in the future. Best $15 bucks I ever spent, spending time figuring out what was broken and how much of my progress had been invalidated by kneejerk development decisions that week was always a high point. In the future any title they put out will get the same response from me as the Russian guy who likes to reskin the same game over and over and release it as EA. A hard nope. Oh, and where's my hat?

Holy shit you are extra. If you really don't trust the future of this game, why are you here?

Scoot.

A PvPvE server that is designed with the lines drawn so that everything is on each side is by design a very bad PvPvE - for the very reason that it does not promote conflict and instead promotes stalemates.   If everybody can do everything they want without conflict, then it is a PvE server and all the PVP players will complain that they want the lines redrawn so that people are fighting over resources and all the dungeons and discoveries.    

When you design/develope a game with pvp and pve elements combined, you have all kinds of unintended problems.  Best example is Eve online.  PVEer's, Industrialist and New players suffered at the hands of Wardecs in Eve online from greifer corps.  I mean come on hulk-a-geddon?  Yeah balanced pvp my ass?  The list goes on and on.  High sec suicide ganking?  Don't get me wrong the early days of Eve were great, but what it has evolved into is just terrible.

If the developers of Atlas are truly molding their design to something like Eve, I would probably not be as interested in this game as I am.   I'm just here to explore the world created by this team and build a nice little ship to sail the sea's.  If I truly wanted to pvp it would not be in this type of game.  Plenty of other games out there for my pvp fix.

Edited by sgzeroone

Because like anyone else who is here I wanted them to be good. I wanted a fun game I could play with my friends, sail around, build stuff, kill pirate ships. I sat through months of the EA apologists saying "It will get better! Just you wait!" to watch every development decision either be put out with the intention of fostering a dying offline raiding PVP system and nerfs to systems in PVE just because applying them to both types of servers was "too hard" You try to shortbus me, but really the whole "I wants mah pvp brah, you will be my content whether you like it or not!" has been proven time and time again to be the death of a game with potential. WIldstar and the "We are hardcore, gitgud noob!" crowd are where developer after developer keep reading the market wrong. Fine to develop a niche game if you have the money to throw away on it, but if you want something sustainable you need a more mainstream approach. Problem is the "brahs" here never got that, so dead game.

5 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

A PvPvE server that is designed with the lines drawn so that everything is on each side is by design a very bad PvPvE - for the very reason that it does not promote conflict and instead promotes stalemates.   If everybody can do everything they want without conflict, then it is a PvE server and all the PVP players will complain that they want the lines redrawn so that people are fighting over resources and all the dungeons and discoveries.    

Personal incredulity is not an argument against something.

3 minutes ago, sgzeroone said:

When you design/develope a game with pvp and pve elements combined, you have all kinds of unintended problems.  Best example is Eve online.  PVEer's, Industrialist and New players suffered at the hands of Wardecs in Eve online from greifer corps.  I mean come on hulk-a-geddon?  Yeah balanced pvp my ass?  High sec suicide ganking?  Don't get me wrong the early days of Eve were great, but what it has evolved into is just terrible. 

If the developers of Atlas are truly molding their design to something like Eve, I would probably not be as interested in this game as I am.   I'm just here to explore the world created by this team and build a nice little ship to sail the sea's.  If I truly wanted to pvp it would not be in this type of game.  Plenty of other games out their for my pvp fix.

The problems with EvE Online are meant to be there. I imagine the devs would keep PvE zones completely PvE... as detailed.... in my post.... Did you read it?
I guess you really can't please everybody!

3 minutes ago, UnknownSystemError said:

Because like anyone else who is here I wanted them to be good. I wanted a fun game I could play with my friends, sail around, build stuff, kill pirate ships. I sat through months of the EA apologists saying "It will get better! Just you wait!" to watch every development decision either be put out with the intention of fostering a dying offline raiding PVP system and nerfs to systems in PVE just because applying them to both types of servers was "too hard" You try to shortbus me, but really the whole "I wants mah pvp brah, you will be my content whether you like it or not!" has been proven time and time again to be the death of a game with potential. WIldstar and the "We are hardcore, gitgud noob!" crowd are where developer after developer keep reading the market wrong. Fine to develop a niche game if you have the money to throw away on it, but if you want something sustainable you need a more mainstream approach. Problem is the "brahs" here never got that, so dead game.

You need to breathe when you talk.

4 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

Pve players dont want to fight for things like resources and acting as the creeps for pvp players.. thats the point. Most people in our company are 50+ years old and having childs and grand childs do you think a old lady, who is coming online on pve to build her ship and sailing around want to have a battle for resources? :classic_laugh::classic_laugh: forget it.

Like i said, its a win win. PvP would become more active more populated and pve would win the option to having the war aspect not running around and getting chased by a 16 year old eric,who has nothing to do afterschool as searching for pve players.

Pve players dont want to fight for things like resources and acting as the creeps for pvp players.. thats the point. Most people in our company are 50+ years old and having childs and grand childs do you think a old lady, who is coming online on pve to build her ship and sailing around want to have a battle for resources? :classic_laugh::classic_laugh: forget it.

Like i said, its a win win. PvP would become more active more populated and pve would win the option to having the war aspect not running around and getting chased by a 16 year old eric,who has nothing to do afterschool as searching for pve players.

Exactly. All of the critical stuff in the game would be accessible in the PvE zones, with no reason to cross into dangerous water. The PvP players would have a place to come trade and have some positive interaction. PvE players would benefit because they would see income, exotic resources, BPs  that are useless to PvP , but useful to PvE, perhaps even the chance to participate in a war without it coming to their door.

I don't know why it is so hard to imagine the two playstyles co-existing.

32 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Did you read my proposal? All you would have to do is stick to Empire tiles or tiles belonging to Sovereign Trade companies. Unless you are at war with them or their Navy you are free to sail. It's kinda the way EvE Online works, but you cant be suicide ganked.

Unless you want to do the powerstones, or collect high level tames or masses of mats, which are all in pvp .  Aside from that, if you're PvE, all you have to do is play the game on half the map or less and it's all good, unless the pvp guys claim up all the pve land and wage their smacktalk keyboard warfare all over your general chat.

So let me get this straight..on a merged server, the pvp players get the whole map, get to play the type of game they like, get pve safe zones for when they want to play pve style or collect mats, breed tames, etc without interference,  pve players to gank whenever one of them is unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...sounds perfect.

What do pve players get?  They've lost at least half the map, they get shoved into the toxic environment they don't like, they lose access to the best mats, tames, & quest zones in the game.  Sure, they get to make boats for the pvp players.  (Something you seem excited about)   What else?  Tell them what they've won, Johnny!

3 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Unless you want to do the powerstones, or collect high level tames or masses of mats, which are all in pvp .  Aside from that, if you're PvE, all you have to do is play the game on half the map or less and it's all good, unless the pvp guys claim up all the pve land and wage their smacktalk keyboard warfare all over your general chat.

So let me get this straight..on a merged server, the pvp players get the whole map, get to play the type of game they like, get pve safe zones for when they want to play pve style or collect mats, breed tames, etc without interference,  pve players to gank whenever one of them is unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...sounds perfect.

What do pve players get?  They've lost at least half the map, they get shoved into the toxic environment they don't like, they lose access to the best mats, tames, & quest zones in the game.  Sure, they get to make boats for the pvp players.  (Something you seem excited about)   What else?  Tell them what they've won, Johnny!

Devs having a lot possibilities to make things work like, neutral zones(Kraken H8) they can make players able to find all resources on pvp side or pve side( dont forget north and south pole, which could replace west and east resources sides. But even if we feel like we have to keep 15x15 grids we could just hit pvp if we cross the border after O12 for example.

4 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Unless you want to do the powerstones, or collect high level tames or masses of mats, which are all in pvp

You didn't read my proposal, clearly.

5 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

if you're PvE, all you have to do is play the game on half the map or less and it's all good, unless the pvp guys claim up all the pve land and wage their smacktalk keyboard warfare all over your general chat. 

Uhh... what? You'd get far more than half the map. Not that you need that much to begin with. Everything you need to make mythics is within 5 tiles of you if you know what islands to look for. There's only a handful of them, and they are placed so you don't have to travel to far... my goodness. Smack talk? You can leave chat you know.

8 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

You don't have it straight.

8 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

That's a very toxic reply for someone who doesn't want to be exposed to toxic environments. I feel like you might be projecting a bit.

23 minutes ago, Egon von Sturmberg said:

Devs having a lot possibilities to make things work like, neutral zones(Kraken H8) they can make players able to find all resources on pvp side or pve side( dont forget north and south pole, which could replace west and east resources sides. But even if we feel like we have to keep 15x15 grids we could just hit pvp if we cross the border after O12 for example.

Why don't you just ask them for the ability to export your player back and forth between pvp and pve then?  The servers are already set up.  Export is already in the game for single player.

43 minutes ago, Egon von Sturmberg said:

23 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Smack talk? You can leave chat you know.

These other two quotes really make my point.   The "old lady" also doesn't want to listen to a lot of teenagers threatening to <insert obscene vulgar action here> each other and yelling about who was griefing who and blah blah blah.  It's why you don't commonly see mature grownups hanging out with random large groups of kids on their days off.  (And vice versa)  Why push two very different groups like that together and force the one to have to deal with the other?  Because that's what happens...as Pegleg says...in this situation, the grownups have to shut down another part of the game.  You don't like the other group's behavior?  Don't go to these zones, don't participate in general chat.  The pvp group gets to do whatever it wants, and the other group just has to put up with it.  I guarantee you that if the game started making rules the other way around and restricting the pvp group, they wouldn't be happy with that.  

The two groups are very different.  The pv and pve games are actually quite different.  Shoving them together serves no real purpose.  If all you want is the ability to travel back and forth between pvp and pve zones, ask for an export and save everybody else a lot of grief.

The "old lady" also doesn't want to listen to a lot of teenagers threatening to <insert obscene vulgar action here> each other and yelling about who was griefing who and blah blah blah.  It's why you don't commonly see mature grownups hanging out with random large groups of kids on their days off.  (And vice versa)  Why push two very different groups like that together and force the one to have to deal with the other?  Because that's what happens...as Pegleg says...in this situation, the grownups have to shut down another part of the game.  You don't like the other group's behavior?  Don't go to these zones, don't participate in general chat.  The pvp group gets to do whatever it wants, and the other group just has to put up with it.  I guarantee you that if the game started making rules the other way around and restricting the pvp group, they wouldn't be happy with that. 

The two groups are very different.  The pv and pve games are actually quite different.  Shoving them together serves no real purpose.  If all you want is the ability to travel back and forth between pvp and pve zones, ask for an export and save everybody else a lot of grief.

Wow that... is very entitled of you.

It sounds like you want to play single player.

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

39 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Wow that... is very entitled of you.

It sounds like you want to play single player.

So let's say it's my birthday and I decide to throw a big cocktail party for it, and some idiot brings his 20 year old son and his friend who spend the entire thing drowning out the music yelling obscenities, chugging expensive booze and throwing up all over my house.

When I say I'm not happy about that, you say:   "Wow that...is very entitled of you.  You should just drink alone"

Listen, I have no objection if you'd like to argue the fact that pve and pvp are NOT 2 different games, that the players don't want different things or that it's completely fair to tell pve players just to suck it up and put up with the abuse or turn off their sound, their general chat, and never travel to other zones.    You want to debate a point I made that's fine with me.  I even change my mind sometimes if someone's argument is good enough.

But don't bother coming back with nothing and just flinging personal insults like a monkey throwing poop at the zoo.  Cause that means you got nothing, and it makes you look like you're in way over your head.

Personal insults are the last refuge of people too ignorant to actually respond to someone's points.  

So let's say it's my birthday and I decide to throw a big cocktail party for it, and some idiot brings his 20 year old son and his friend who spend the entire thing drowning out the music yelling obscenities, chugging expensive booze and throwing up all over my house.

Ah. Yes. The ole "All young people are degenerates" routine.

28 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

When I say I'm not happy about that, you say:   "Wow that...is very entitled of you.  You should just drink alone"

No, its more like you are unhappy that your neighbors are listening to music, drinking, and throwing up on their own couch. So, why have neighbors if you don't let them do their own thing?

28 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Listen, I have no objection if you'd like to argue the fact that pve and pvp are NOT 2 different games, that the players don't want different things or that it's completely fair to tell pve players just to suck it up and put up with the abuse or turn off their sound, their general chat, and never travel to other zones.    You want to debate a point I made that's fine with me.  I even change my mind sometimes if someone's argument is good enough.

I can tell you feel other people play the game in a way you don't like and interact in a way you don't like. However, it is very entitled of you to expect the game to be catered around your needs. Its also very entitled of you to speak for all PvE players, even though this thread is being replied to and supported by other PvErs. I can tell you don't like the idea of having to turn off voice or leave chat while people smack talk; but I don't think that's reason enough to separate people. Also, what is wrong with just *not* going to a dangerous zone that has nothing to offer over the safe zone next to it? With the current playerbase one server is more than enough to host a PvP and PvE zone and still have room to spare. Splitting the playerbase up so that you can sail where you want with no risk and not deal with young people is super  entitled. Nor does it make sense because all of that smack talk and grief exists on PvE too. You also keep like, making the false correlation between PvP and age. I know a 96 year old who plays Rust and tangles with even the most teens... and he WINS.

Almost all of your complaints are age based. So, it really feels like to me that you have a gripe with young people... which as a 30 something I feel a bit offended by. Im not young, but nor am I old yet. I feel for these kids, your hate just seems so icky and misplaced.

But don't bother coming back with nothing and just flinging personal insults like a monkey throwing poop at the zoo.  Cause that means you got nothing, and it makes you look like you're in way over your head.

Personal insults are the last refuge of people too ignorant to actually respond to someone's points.  

If you are feeling personally insulted by getting called out for entitlement, or obvious dislike for youngsters I really can't say anything but... please don't play online games, for your own sake.

Edited by PeglegTheAngry

2 hours ago, Egon von Sturmberg said:

So if you draw the lines so it is perfectly safe for PVE player side - the only way to do that is a duplicated server half that are identical so there is zero reason for PVE to ever have to ever go onto the PVP side because trade and advancement is self contained within the PVE side.   The problem is that PVP wolves cannot exist without their PVE sheep, PVP do not actually want to fight against themselves for fear of being destroyed.    

Put up this two identical half servers I guarantee after the first week there will be PVP saying there needs to be incentive for PVE to come to the PVP side beyond just PVP itself - because no PVE are coming over to the PVP side.   That is why the design of PvPvE servers always makes the PVP side the higher risk/reward side.   That is the way Eve Online works, it is how Mortal Online worked, as well as how the unofficial Atlas PvPvE servers have set themselves up.   It comes down to the fact that you cannot have predators without any prey.

It is perfectly fine to set up such a PvPvE server - but stop trying to claim it is exactly the same as a full on PVP server or full on PVE server.  Those of us who have been around long enough know it is an entirely different gameplay style from both - a perfectly valid server option to have for those who enjoy it.  But it is not the same as seperate servers no matter how much the wolfs try to pretend to the sheep that it is.

Edited by krazmuze

2 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

So if you draw the lines so it is perfectly safe for PVE player side - the only way to do that is a duplicated server half that are identical so there is zero reason for PVE to ever have to ever go onto the PVP side because trade and advancement is self contained within the PVE side.   The problem is that PVP wolves cannot exist without their PVE sheep, PVP do not actually want to fight against themselves for fear of being destroyed.    

Put up this two identical half servers I guarantee after the first week there will be PVP saying there needs to be incentive for PVE to come to the PVP side beyond just PVP itself - because no PVE are coming over to the PVP side.   That is why the design of PvPvE servers always makes the PVP side the higher risk/reward side.   That is the way Eve Online works, it is how Mortal Online worked, as well as how the unofficial Atlas PvPvE servers have set themselves up.   It comes down to the fact that you cannot have predators without any prey. 

Exactly. As long as there is reason to go to a PvP zone, PvErs will do it because the risk vs reward is almost always worth it.

PvPvE players will absolutely go for the incentive risk of PVP even if they can safely base in PVE.   Where you are confused is thinking this applies to all PVE players.    A PvPvE player is NOT the same player as a PvE player.    The instant you say well no....the two PVE/PVP splits are not actually identical - the PVE player has to come to the PVP side for better risk reward - that pure PVE player leaves the server and goes find a pure PVE server.   It is because the game mode has to be designed so that the PVE side is lower risk reward than the higher risk reward PVP side - if not designed that way it fails as a PvPvE server.   These game modes always realize the PVP itself is not enough risk reward, and they design it so that better mats, mobs, bosses, dungeons etc are on the PVP side to force PVE into having to go there if they want the entire game experience.

Edited by krazmuze

Every pvpers will build on PvE zones, so can't be raid.
Even if it looks awesome on paper, it simply doesn't work if people aren't fair.
While it works on unnoficial, cuz of admins and all
That's totally different on official, where rules are always break, exploit in every sence.

Players on official play to win. So why bother build in PvP if you can be safe in PvE ? Then rekt others after

There is toooo many exploits, it can't work on officials

4 minutes ago, globytheoldpirate said:
  1. Every pvpers will build on PvE zones, so can't be raid.
  2. Even if it looks awesome on paper, it simply doesn't work if people aren't fair.
  3. While it works on unnoficial, cuz of admins and all
  4. That's totally different on official, where rules are always break, exploit in every sence.

There is too many exploits, it can't work on officials

1. Being at war with someone means you arent safe in a PvE zone.

2. I don't know what you mean by this.

3. Official has admins too, player moderators can also be volunteered, these are not difficult work arounds.

4. This is true of all games, all the time, on all servers. Look at speedrunners.

10 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

PvPvE players will absolutely go for the incentive risk of PVP even if they can safely base in PVE.   Where you are confused is thinking this applies to all PVE players.    A PvPvE player is NOT the same player as a PvE player.    The instant you say well no....the two PVE/PVP splits are not actually identical - the PVE player has to come to the PVP side for better risk reward - that pure PVE player leaves the server and goes find a pure PVE server.   It is because the game mode has to be designed so that the PVE side is lower risk reward than the higher risk reward PVP side - if not designed that way it fails as a PvPvE server.   These game modes always realize the PVP itself is not enough risk reward, and they design it so that better mats, mobs, bosses, dungeons etc are on the PVP side to force PVE into having to go there if they want the entire game experience. 

Not really. Powerstones and dungeons would be PvE areas only. PvP areas would have more abundant resources but going there is not a requirement, instead... its a risk you take for the sake of convince, or large profit.

12 minutes ago, globytheoldpirate said:

Every pvpers will build on PvE zones, so can't be raid.

But is that a bad thing on a PvPvE server that is themed for pirates?    If indeed PVP side had more risk reward forcing people to leave their PVE bases to win the game - then there would be way more naval action - which is what the game should be about rather than  land raids.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

PvP areas would have more abundant resources but going there is not a requirement, instead... its a risk you take for the sake of convince, or large profit.

What you really said...

"PVE area would have less resources and less profit."

Sorry all your pure PVE players just left your ideal PVP/PVE server.  The entire point for PVE players is to dominate the trade markets using only PVE means, your server would mean only PVP can dominate the trade markets.

It only appeals to PvPvE players - not PVE players.

Edited by krazmuze
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

But is that a bad thing on a PvPvE server that is themed for pirates?    If indeed PVP side had more risk reward forcing people to leave their PVE bases to win the game - then there would be way more naval action - which is what the game should be about rather than  land raids.

What could be a better reward than "Can't be raided" ?
Just build base in PvE, and get stuff in PvP
So you got both advantages

5 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

1. Being at war with someone means you arent safe in a PvE zone.

Got one man in friendly tribe, and put everything in his tribe.
So while you do PvP, your stuff is protected on the PvE friend. So you can't be raided at all, but you can raid others

Edited by globytheoldpirate