Sturmberg World Bank

ONE WORLD FOR ALL PvPvE - UPDATE: DEV POST

I keep this  thread open for your thoughts, but instead of splitting players with single player mode, huge company servers.. small company servers... private servers...Pve...Pvp..and one server for each of the 17 genders, it should be the goal to put them all in one massive online world, which is having diffrent regions with diffrent rules.

Edited by Egon von Sturmberg
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Egon von Sturmberg said:

I keep this  thread open for your thoughts, but instead of splitting players with single player mode, huge company servers.. small company servers... private servers...Pve...Pvp..and one server for each of the 17 genders, it should be the goal to put them all in one massive online world, which is having diffrent regions with diffrent rules.

They already have different regions with different rules.  

42 minutes ago, Slash78 said:

They already have different regions with different rules.  

but not all on a single server, which is the key part of his point.

2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

but not all on a single server, which is the key part of his point.

Yeah, but that's not going to work.  1) tech issues.  2) This development team simply can't think of rules to sustain neither the official PvP nor PvE servers, how are they going to come up with a rule set to merge everything in one MMO world?

1 hour ago, Egon von Sturmberg said:

..and one server for each of the 17 genders, 

This almost made me spit out a bite of the very nicely seasoned ribeye I've just grilled for myself laughing out loud when I read it. If I had I would hate you, but I managed to avoid that outcome, so instead I get to say it gave me a good hearty laugh to start the weekend. 

Jokes aside, I have never really understood why a development team claiming to set out make a pirate/fantasy Eve inspired MMO would say from beginning that they would have private servers (yes I'm well aware that modding worked out spectacularly for Ark) and then go on to also offer Single Player. At this point it's a bit of a moot point since it's obvious they aren't creating anything even vaguely like Eve and it's debatable whether Atlas will wind up being much of an MMO in the end, so yes, I agree with the OP's idea.

6 minutes ago, Slash78 said:

Yeah, but that's not going to work.  1) tech issues.  2) This development team simply can't think of rules to sustain neither the official PvP nor PvE servers, how are they going to come up with a rule set to merge everything in one MMO world?

Putting everyone in a single world doesn't really change the ruleset challenges they face. They will need those solutions whether the sets apply to wholly seperate servers or just different regions of an overall game world (which are in point of fact seperate servers in their own right, just ones you can travel between as part of the same world). I have no technical background, I'm just a layman with 15 years experience playing MMO's, but based on what I have seen in other games it seems perfectly plausible to me that Atlas could have one game world with some areas pvp and others pve. The world is already partitioned into grids which would easily facilitate such a delineation one would imagine.

If we think Grapeshot so completely inept that they can't develop ruleset solutions period, then really we shouldn't be here. We should play something else. 

Edited by boomervoncannon

31 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Putting everyone in a single world doesn't really change the ruleset challenges they face. They will need those solutions whether the sets apply to wholly seperate servers or just different regions of an overall game world (which are in point of fact seperate servers in their own right, just ones you can travel between as part of the same world). I have no technical background, I'm just a layman with 15 years experience playing MMO's, but based on what I have seen in other games it seems perfectly plausible to me that Atlas could have one game world with some areas pvp and others pve. The world is already partitioned into grids which would easily facilitate such a delineation one would imagine.

If we think Grapeshot so completely inept that they can't develop ruleset solutions period, then really we shouldn't be here. We should play something else. 

Updating and re-DLing some other games.  About 62 hours in the game since coming back and I think I'm done.

2 hours ago, Egon von Sturmberg said:

I think the issue was they tried that, and because of the sheer amount of cheating and exploits that was happening along with no region locking, it essentially turned everyone off the game within the first 2 months along with a massively under-cooked game at release in December. Bringing Singleplayer to the game, along with coop and the ability to host your own servers does add a heck of a lot of variety back into the game which will draw players like me back to the game I think will overall, bring players back to the game but the reputation of the game has definitely been dented quite a bit so it's going to take time to work on that. 

58 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

This almost made me spit out a bite of the very nicely seasoned ribeye I've just grilled for myself laughing out loud when I read it.

Boomer....

I have always enjoyed reading your posts and responses...until this.  It's too late to go and get a good ribeye now and damnit, I hate you for now making me hungry for one.

That said, if they can't find a way to join PVP and PVE elements into the same server, I don't see much of a bright future for the game.  I really am not a fan of PVP myself but I have enjoyed dabbling in it from time to time and supporting my pvp friends by farming and building for them.  So many grids, I don't see why they couldn't break it into PVE, PVP zones.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Womba said:

Boomer....

I have always enjoyed reading your posts and responses...until this.  It's too late to go and get a good ribeye now and damnit, I hate you for now making me hungry for one.

My work here is done.

4 hours ago, Egon von Sturmberg said:

FACTIONS!!!

no I wasn’t yelling that at you by the way. It just needs to be done. The biggest reason atlas is most definitely ark is because of “companies/tribes” and yes of course the notorious “Megas”. 

Thats fine. Nobody needs to listen to me. I am merely a warning signal that has no other function but to warn.

3 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

That is a thin line you are walking boomer. Be careful and don’t look down whatever you do.

17 minutes ago, Egon von Sturmberg said:

Blackwood...

See all the positive reviews, its the most successfull content in ATLAS history. Its a good sign.

Singleplayer and unofficials are "the future".

I read about a community who run a 9x9 server. Same like the official with north-and southpole, all biomes, endboss and the grid is split up into 50/50 pve and pvp. 

I thinked to start there, but valguero hits first 😅

3 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

I read about a community who run a 9x9 server. Same like the official with north-and southpole, all biomes, endboss and the grid is split up into 50/50 pve and pvp. 

I thinked to start there, but valguero hits first 😅

Thats a huge map for unofficial. This 50/50 PvE/PvP should be tons of fun 😁

On 7/27/2019 at 5:53 AM, Realist said:

FACTIONS!!!

why are you that obsessed with factions? During my time In EVE there was also faction warfare and it was a big pile of dogshit where mostly noobs tried to do casual pvp. The main reason for that was too many rules, too many protections and the most important thing, you didn't get to choose who you were teaming with.

1 hour ago, Puppies4ever said:

Thats a huge map for unofficial. This 50/50 PvE/PvP should be tons of fun 😁

Take a look with Google. Atlasforum.de or something like this. U will find it really easy.

PVE/PVP hybrid maps only appeal to PVP players that want to retreat to PVE safety, as well as PVE players that might want to get into an occasional naval fight.     

It has zero appeal to the pure PVE player that wants nothing to do with PVP, but such hybrid servers force that by design. 

It has zero appeal to the pure PVP player that want no possibility of PVE retreat in time or space.   

It is not possible to avoid PVP on a hybrid map - because they all promote PVP by placing the best resources beyond the PVP gate.    That means you either have to do the PVP yourself to get the best stuff, or play in the PVP wars by hiring mercenaries at a higher price.

So those promoting it need to recognize it is a valid server option, but it is not the end of all servers that will unite PVP and PVE.   It is already technically possible for Atlas to have this server type, since PVE/PVP is a grid not a map setting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advanced issues found

On 7/27/2019 at 1:47 AM, boomervoncannon said:

Jokes aside, I have never really understood why a development team claiming to set out make a pirate/fantasy Eve inspired MMO would say from beginning that they would have private servers (yes I'm well aware that modding worked out spectacularly for Ark) and then go on to also offer Single Player. At this point it's a bit of a moot point since it's obvious they aren't creating anything even vaguely like Eve and it's debatable whether Atlas will wind up being much of an MMO in the end, so yes, I agree with the OP's idea.

Aye, we can certainly understand why it seems odd given the initial intent behind ATLAS. The alternative game modes were created as part of Early Access, it wasn't something that we had initially intended to do but the feedback and requests were there, and it was something we knew we could tackle. Blackwood's creation stemmed from wanting to provide the modding community with a resource/example of a map that could contain what ATLAS has to offer but within a single server. Now that these alternative game modes and Blackwood are out the door (albeit with issues we'll need to resolve over time), our attention will be on the Mass Multiplayer version of the game, as that is our team's main priority, which you'll see over the months ahead.

3 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

Aye, we can certainly understand why it seems odd given the initial intent behind ATLAS. The alternative game modes were created as part of Early Access, it wasn't something that we had initially intended to do but the feedback and requests were there, and it was something we knew we could tackle. Blackwood's creation stemmed from wanting to provide the modding community with a resource/example of a map that could contain what ATLAS has to offer but within a single server. Now that these alternative game modes and Blackwood are out the door (albeit with issues we'll need to resolve over time), our attention will be on the Mass Multiplayer version of the game, as that is our team's main priority, which you'll see over the months ahead.

Thanks for this insight into the thought process. I'm still not entirely sure that giving players the options to scatter onto single player, non dedicated and private servers won't work against achieving the desired population levels needed to make some MMO aspects function smoothly, but I guess if Grapeshot is willing to run that risk, I'm willing to try out the options. So Blackwood does look like an interesting take on Atlas's gameworld, and mods definitely did wonders for Ark.

4 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Thanks for this insight into the thought process. I'm still not entirely sure that giving players the options to scatter onto single player, non dedicated and private servers won't work against achieving the desired population levels needed to make some MMO aspects function smoothly, but I guess if Grapeshot is willing to run that risk, I'm willing to try out the options. So Blackwood does look like an interesting take on Atlas's gameworld, and mods definitely did wonders for Ark.

From our point of view, players who are interested in playing those game modes (non-dedicated and single player) aren't really interested in playing the Mass Multiplayer version of the game. Additionally, ATLAS has a pretty steep entrance in order to become competitive and it's very easy to get driven off of the main servers (at least on PvP). Providing these options give players an alternative choice, whilst we work to resolve ATLAS fundamental design issues. It's not something that will happen overnight, or I guess over the last 6 months. In hindsight, the team recognize there's a lot of things that could have been done differently, had we the power of foresight 😉. We are planning for the long term and I am hoping it's something we'll be able to cover more in upcoming articles/streams -- you'll have to stay tuned for now 🙂.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

From our point of view, players who are interested in playing those game modes (non-dedicated and single player) aren't really interested in playing the Mass Multiplayer version of the game. Additionally, ATLAS has a pretty steep entrance in order to become competitive and it's very easy to get driven off of the main servers (at least on PvP). Providing these options give players an alternative choice, whilst we work to resolve ATLAS fundamental design issues. It's not something that will happen overnight, or I guess over the last 6 months. In hindsight, the team recognize there's a lot of things that could have been done differently, had we the power of foresight 😉. We are planning for the long term and I am hoping it's something we'll be able to cover more in upcoming articles/streams -- you'll have to stay tuned for now 🙂.

Yeah, I play disc golf and the saying there about hindsight is that second guy is always better. (people often throw a second disc from the same spot just to practice if not in a competitive match). It's always easier to see what you could have done differently. In games that offer both pve and pvp mode, I've always thought the smart move was to learn the mechanics and techniques on pve where you didn't have to worry about losing stuff as much, then once you had a feel for the game, move to pvp. But I realize not everyone is gonna take that approach.

I do think that a lot of folks who might have eventually enjoyed a massive gameworld environment might tend to stagnate in single player or private server environments without realizing what they're missing. I say that because of the number of players who joined my Ark cluster community after playing by themselves who commented back to me that they didn't really understand what they were missing til they played the game with others.

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

Advanced issues found

Just now, boomervoncannon said:

I do think that a lot of folks who might have eventually enjoyed a massive gameworld environment might tend to stagnate in single player or private server environments without realizing what they're missing. I say that because of the number of players who joined my Ark cluster community after playing by themselves who commented back to me that they didn't really understand what they were missing til they played the game with others.

Yup, that's definitely true, though I don't think those people would feel that way about the mass multiplayer game in its current state, perhaps as we get further along in its development 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Jatheish said:

Yup, that's definitely true, though I don't think those people would feel that way about the mass multiplayer game in its current state, perhaps as we get further along in its development 🙂

fair enough. If you're not ready for early access in a massive environment, it can be daunting and discouraging.