Sign in to follow this  
Skinner NA PVE

When should we just pull the plug

On 7/29/2019 at 10:06 AM, =MGC=Ranger said:

Yeah thats where I am at now. They made it so players have to get on every few days or else lose their stuff. Eventually Ill get tired of the chores and just let it all go. With all the changes the Devs have done (mostly bad changes too), I don't see the game surviving to its full release. I have sailed from one end of the EU PVE server to the other and rarely see anyone. Game has become nothing more than chores every few days to keep up.

Yeap, that's why my entire clan and myself left game also. 

Its summer and I am not on much atm i log in daily and do some stuff then i log and go enjoy the summer. It will pick back up come winter 

Yeah, they don't seem to get that their game isn't fun enough for that type of commitment and that their player-base (at least for PvE) is too old for that shit. Change the timers back to 3 weeks for buildings AND tames (its idiotic to begin with that they are different, as the lowest timer dictates the maintenance interval).

• Like 1

I think they went way overboard because of all the spam complaints and in the end couldn't see the forest for the trees.  At least they walked back the landlord wipe.

Seriously, all that's needed is to set a good goal for what you want to achieve and then code to that.  

1. You want to remove junk from players who are no longer playing the game.  2. You also want to remove junk put there purposely to annoy other players.  3. You want to protect legitimate stuff belonging to players who currently play the game, especially on land that they own.  The first and last one are easy.  The middle one is a bit tougher, but so far it looks like all the rules and timers are being set according to that middle goal, which makes no sense.

How much time can a player stay away and still be considered playing the game?   Let's say two weeks.

Buildings, tames, ships anchored ..anything at all that you own...if it's on a claim owned by your company stays there until your claim expires.  Claims expire 2 weeks after the flag runs out of money.  This handles #3.

If a player does not render their possessions in 2 weeks, everything they own that is not on land claimed by their company decays and/or becomes claimable.  This keep people from having beds and taming pens they've used once and never again from persisting in the world.  It also gets rid of junk from players who have quit.  This handles #1

The middle one is difficult because the answers change based on whether the servers are full or lightly loaded and whether everyone has a reasonable chance to claim land.  But you can't rewrite the rules for all the regular ownership and abandonment issues in #1 and #3 just to solve this, which is what it seems like they're doing.  Why should some active player who has claimed land and built on it have to run around the claim jumping on and off boats and tames, making guesses about unspecified actions at some unspecified intervals just so their stuff doesn't disappear?  

• Like 1

I hope it turns around with people cause I really love the game.  🙂 But yes, I agree with all posters who say that it needs to be less like a chore with all the upkeep. Also I have suggested before, I really think that more in the way of easier quests for easier xp, Gold and gear, would make the game more interesting and keep people sucked in for longer. It doesn't have to be extremely easy but just manageable for solo players and really small crews. 

If there were a bunch of interesting quests given out by npc pirates, and the quests changed weekly or monthly, there you have your Golden ticket right there for keeping peoples' interest alive. Just spoken as an old WoW player.   🙂

Oddly enough, I always thought is was a fun “quest” to find loot demolishing stuff in PVE. When they took that away I lost one of the reasons to play. And it is certainly not the same waiting out a timer. Abandoned structures gave the game a unique feel that you could explore ruins that were actually real ruins. If I had one wish, I would like auto destruct turned off.

*please

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Gomez Addams said:

Oddly enough, I always thought is was a fun “quest” to find loot demolishing stuff in PVE. When they took that away I lost one of the reasons to play. And it is certainly not the same waiting out a timer. Abandoned structures gave the game a unique feel that you could explore ruins that were actually real ruins. If I had one wish, I would like auto destruct turned off.

*please

THIS! Its always like a adventure you find old "ruins" and looking for some "treasures" 🙂

On 7/31/2019 at 8:44 PM, Gomez Addams said:

If I had one wish, I would like auto destruct turned off.

NOPE, next to racks the best addition to the game!

I still remember the swiss cheese bases on lawless that nobody cared to demo because all the loot was long gone!
All the meshed pillars etc.
Beds everywhere.

Getting stuck on hidden campfires.

Performance someone?

Why do people forget so fast!

I only miss the ramps other mapper and me build to get up to treasure spots.

The days where you used to run around your own island looking for demolished buildings and grab the loot, they were the days :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

Yesterday I ran into a cluster of satchels with a 29 minute timer arranged in the approximate shape of a small base.

I now realize that bases and containers won't actually get destroyed until a player renders them in. It made me wonder, if I were that base's owner, and nobody else ever came in render range, would it destroy my base as soon as I appeared, or would it reset my timer on everything first?

If the latter, that's actually pretty neat. If you had a remote enough base, perhaps you could cheat base death, like those Japanese WW2 soldiers that finally surrendered in 1974.

On 7/31/2019 at 7:44 PM, Gomez Addams said:

*please

This!!

Sure, abandoned structures could cause some annoyance and issues, but on the other side, they removed an entire game style! I thoroughly enjoyed sailing, exploring, discovering and looting abandoned bases. I also enjoyed looking at peoples designs and ideas, indoors and out. 

All that’s gone. I will admit, after 1400 hours in game, I’m finding less reasons to login, ironically not through boredom, but because of all the knee jerk balance passes that nerf everything half interesting into oblivion!

one of the huge, and frankly, infuriating ironic things about these developers is, it’s an MMO! They keep trying to “patch” a lot of the problems in the game with nerfs and other poorly thought out solutions that ruin more than they solve. Many of the in game issues people have could be mitigated with a few semi active game masters with a semi decent toolkit. 

Edited by TerrorTrooper

I am sad to see the state this games become, wish I could just teleport to their studio and just ask "what are you doing?". Left after the wipe and hoped i could come back to something, but nope. They seem set on forcing things into PvE that just don't belong or ideas that just don't make sense.

What's upsetting to me is they had it at the start, they just needed small changes in terms of the flag system, decay and other things. If they took their time and tried little changes, note the communities reaction, then move on from there, they would have been fine, but they choose the worst possible choices and ended up doing these massive shifts that just disrupted the dynamic of the game.

This game can recover as it's not released yet, but for that they need to really start being more consistent with the feedback they take in.

Also push back single player, push back console, focus on getting he PC stuff up to par, then think about moving on to the other two. They can barley hold the PC crowd, splitting the already tiny player base is silly and do they honestly think console is going to stick around?

I have been playing atlas since its launch, in december. About a month ago, I started joining the game just to refresh the structures and feed the animals. I can't say that the game was not good, I played for several months and I believe I paid little for it. The game has potential, but I always get the impression that I'm in a mere shadow of Ark, that there I could be having more fun. The theme, the bosses, the fights, everything fits better than here. I understand that Atlas is still under development, guess just my patience has run out for now.

I believe that ATLAS can still improve a lot if the developers want it to, by creating an identity to the game, something to establish a solid theme (more ship/sea content, less animals and taming). I destroyed my island's claim flag, so other people can enjoy a new land to conquer. 🙂

Back to my Carnos... 😛

Edited by Carnotaurus

On 7/25/2019 at 6:35 PM, Skinner NA PVE said:

Reason I played this game was to interact and have fun with other players. I think too many have moved on and are not coming back. I struggle to login myself. Sailed some gold to one of our outposts, passed through 6 zones, and counted 5 people total besides myself. We have moved passed ghost ships to ghostly server populations. According to steam charts both PVE servers combined barely make it to 1000 players a day.

Really sad that such an expansive beautiful game is dead now. 

Was fun while it lasted.

Black Desert Online plans to release a big oceanic content rework/expansion in wich you will be able to build ships with loads of cannons and man them up (just as here) while BDO in general has very bad reputation for its p2w elements and heavy monetization the game is stable, pretty, and huge as fuck, i have sunk 5k hrs on it and i am not even at end game, its oceanic content was kinda lacking up until now, but it wil be revamped and greatly expanded this summer, so if they dont fuck up it could be a pretty decent (maybe even better) alternative to atlas, not the same thematic but hopefully fun.

Edited by The D Legacy

On 7/30/2019 at 6:42 PM, Winter Thorne said:

I think they went way overboard because of all the spam complaints and in the end couldn't see the forest for the trees.  At least they walked back the landlord wipe.

Seriously, all that's needed is to set a good goal for what you want to achieve and then code to that.  

1. You want to remove junk from players who are no longer playing the game.  2. You also want to remove junk put there purposely to annoy other players.  3. You want to protect legitimate stuff belonging to players who currently play the game, especially on land that they own.  The first and last one are easy.  The middle one is a bit tougher, but so far it looks like all the rules and timers are being set according to that middle goal, which makes no sense.

How much time can a player stay away and still be considered playing the game?   Let's say two weeks.

Buildings, tames, ships anchored ..anything at all that you own...if it's on a claim owned by your company stays there until your claim expires.  Claims expire 2 weeks after the flag runs out of money.  This handles #3.

If a player does not render their possessions in 2 weeks, everything they own that is not on land claimed by their company decays and/or becomes claimable.  This keep people from having beds and taming pens they've used once and never again from persisting in the world.  It also gets rid of junk from players who have quit.  This handles #1

The middle one is difficult because the answers change based on whether the servers are full or lightly loaded and whether everyone has a reasonable chance to claim land.  But you can't rewrite the rules for all the regular ownership and abandonment issues in #1 and #3 just to solve this, which is what it seems like they're doing.  Why should some active player who has claimed land and built on it have to run around the claim jumping on and off boats and tames, making guesses about unspecified actions at some unspecified intervals just so their stuff doesn't disappear?  

isnt it suspicious that a game that was supposedly hoping to host 45k players data is so desperate to reduce stored data as to literally destroy player's data after only 2 weeks when the current population barely reaches 2.9k on average?

10 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

isnt it suspicious that a game that was supposedly hoping to host 45k players data is so desperate to reduce stored data as to literally destroy player's data after only 2 weeks when the current population barely reaches 2.9k on average?

That's a good point, but I'm not sure whether the main driving force behind this is to reduce stored data or to respond to player complaints about spam and old player garbage.  If it were my server, I'd be looking for ways to reduce stored data just as a good practice measure.  It's never good to have a lot of junk around, you need a good cleanup algorithm, and now is the time to get that started.    Having said that, I've been spam lagged and the server is lightly loaded, so you have to wonder how a fully loaded server will behave, and how well people's pcs will be able to respond with higher loads.

In the end, you've got to come up with some reasonable way for people to be able to play the game, so it's a balance.  Anything less than 2 weeks just isn't enough.  Anything more than 4 weeks is probably going to cause problems.  There's a sweet spot in there somewhere.

Funny how people's perceptions work for this issue, too.  In the beginning with a large avid group of players, there were a whole bunch of people that couldn't conceive of an active player being away for more than a day.  You'd hear stuff like, "If you can't log in in 4 days you shouldn't be here."    It's the same way that people propose ideas for the game, as it is right now, without thinking how that might work on a fully loaded server.    I'm guessing that at some points, when there's an enormous amount of pressure on the dev team, they might fall prey to that too - just looking at what's there now, and how to fix a problem that has everyone up in arms.

The developers have to think about how the game servers run with a full load - we're just beta testing it until release (which presumably will happen sometime August to November next year.) Reducing the data load is a high priority as it has an impact on server performance.  The server cluster system Atlas utilizes makes it possible to have the estimated 40k players in a game world as each server can take a share of the total load. 

You still can go explore island watch the timers place a small house and bounce around to check on things. Took an island last night and the whole base my only fun i have it seems