Sign in to follow this  
EatEmAlive

Make Bookshelves Useful

I could be wrong but so far the only benefit to having a bookshelf is that you can quickly press the arrow key and it will put all maps (and blueprints) from your inventory straight into the bookshelf.  So this benefit saves a few seconds of time since if I had to put maps into another storage device such as an NPC, smithy, or Large Storage Box, I would be required to first type "Map" which then only shows the maps I have in my inventory and then I can mass transfer these into the storage device of choice without other stuff I might be holding going in there.

Essentially Bookshelves are useless particularly as the main use for them is to put them on ships so you can complete maps or store blueprints inside them.  When weight is an issue for each ship, the bookshelf weighs the ship down.  You would be better off to give the maps to each of your NPC crew on board to save the weight of the bookshelf.

My proposal is to do some or all of the following, so as to give bookshelves a benefit:

* Make Maps stored in a bookshelf not decay as fast.  Maps only last a few days anyway.  Making maps stored in a bookshelf last a little longer would be a great benefit.

* Make stuff stored in a bookshelf weigh less and maybe the bookshelf itself weigh less too.  When you have a lot of maps weighing 0.3 each it adds up.  (BUG? ---->  ACTUALLY whilst it says maps weigh 0.3, they actually weigh 0.35.  Try carrying 1.  It will say weight 0.3.  Then carry 2 it will say 0.7.  Or carry 10 and it will say weight 35). I'm not sure why they round down 0.35 to equal 0.3.  0.35 is always rounded up to 0.4 if anything.   So currently if you have a bookshelf full of maps it will weigh 280 x 0.35 = 98.  That's not including the weight of the actual bookshelf itself.

* Make more slots in a bookshelf.  280 storage slots can be filled up easily.

Edited by EatEmAlive
Typo
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, EatEmAlive said:

I could be wrong but so far the only benefit to having a bookshelf is that you can quickly press the arrow key and it will put all maps (and blueprints) from your inventory straight into the bookshelf.  So this benefit saves a few seconds of time since if I had to put maps into another storage device such as an NPC, smithy, or Large Storage Box, I would be required to first type "Map" which then only shows the maps I have in my inventory and then I can mass transfer these into the storage device of choice without other stuff I might be holding going in there.

Essentially Bookshelves are useless particularly as the main use for them is to put them on ships so you can complete maps or store blueprints inside them.  When weight is an issue for each ship, the bookshelf weighs the ship down.  You would be better off to give the maps to each of your NPC crew on board to save the weight of the bookshelf.

My proposal is to do some or more of the following, so as to give bookshelves a benefit:

* Make Maps stored in a bookshelf not decay as fast.  Maps only last a few days anyway.  Making maps stored in a bookshelf last a little longer.

* Make stuff stored in a bookshelf weigh less and maybe the bookshelf itself weigh less too.  When you have a lot of maps weighing 0.3 each it adds up.  (BUG? ---->  ACTUALLY whilst it says maps weigh 0.3, they actually weigh 0.35.  Try carrying 1.  It will say weight 0.3.  Then carry 2 it will say 0.7.  Or carry 10 and it will say weight 35). I'm not sure why they round down 0.35 to equal 0.3.  0.35 is always rounded up to 0.4 if anything.   So currently if you have a bookcase full of maps it will weigh 280 x 0.35 = 98.  That's not including the weight of the actual bookcase itself.

Like that you didn't just complain, but elaborated with sound reasoning why you think bookshelves aren't worth it in their current form. Also that you provided ideas for how to improve them. I like all of your suggestions and second all of them, they would make bookshelves more worthwhile. Excellent feedback.

I think the devs in particular should take note that on ships where weight matters, bookshelves don't currently offer enough benefit to justify their weight cost.

• Like 1

You don't need to hoard thousands of blueprints on your ship.

Bring them to your base, build some bookshelves and store your BPs there.

Same goes for maps. You are not meant to store them indefinitely and in large numbers.

And if you want to know about the strange weight calculations, i recommend you read up about the floating point arithmetics in modern x86 CPUs.

280 slots are plenty if you don't carry a metric fuckton of white BPs at all times.

Things can of course always be improved, and i'm all for it, but i suppose there is QUITE the amount of other things that are far more pressing right now.

Edited by user1

3 minutes ago, user1 said:

You don't need to hoard thousands of blueprints on your ship.

Bring them to your base, build some bookshelves and store your BPs there.

Same goes for maps. You are not meant to store them indefinitely and in large numbers.

And if you want to know about the strange weight calculations, i recommend you read up about the floating point arithmetics in modern x86 CPUs.

280 slots are plenty if you don't carry a metric fuckton of white BPs at all times.

So basically you are saying that Bookshelves have no actual benefit in the game other than cosmetic thus agreeing to the point of this topic. No need for them in the game at all in fact as "we don't need them."

Everything you describe can be done by putting maps into other storage devices.  I don't propose they need to make drastic changes to the spoil timers of maps stored in Bookshelves, or drastic changes to the carry weight of maps in them.  Just some actual benefit to having a bookshelf would be nice.

And yes.  About maps weighing 0.35 instead of 0.3 as advertised.  I get the CPU logic and how it truncates.  The point is, it is advertised in game as each map weighing 0.3.  It should therefore actually weigh this amount.  If you went to a store to buy several of an item and realised that you were charged half a cent extra from what was advertised for each item, you wouldn't accept the cashiers quip about CPU's and floating points as a valid excuse.

Funny issue.  I have 2 on ship 1 for maps 1 for blueprints at my base i have special room for 10 bookshelves so like mythical ship stuff,weapons bla bla. So i think bookshelves are totally fine 🙂

• Like 1

Bookshelves are fine as is in my opinion. If you are concerned about double-digit kg of weight on your ship from them, I think you may have other issues of weight to fix first.

I have one bookshelf on my ship that I mass dump all gathered maps, blueprints, songs, etc into while traveling. Then those are transferred into the 6+ bookshelves at my base, which are painted by color codes, and have folders setup for sorting and organizing. Works fairly well and don't have many complaints. I have my own rules for how good a BP must be to not just be thrown on the floor.

I do agree that there should be more options available to extend map decay timers either with a new object called "map case" or maybe allowing preserving salt in the bookshelf to extend maps. If you are not aware (and possibly a bug that could get fixed), maps on your hotbar will not decay. I seem to always have a few maps cluttering up my hotbar because they are good ones that I know I want to do, but the timing isn't just working out.

The fact the bookshelf can hold 280 items, much more than other storage options, is a big benefit it provides.

Edited by Vurmis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EatEmAlive said:

My proposal is to do some or all of the following, so as to give bookshelves a benefit:

* Make Maps stored in a bookshelf not decay as fast.  Maps only last a few days anyway.  Making maps stored in a bookshelf last a little longer would be a great benefit.

* Make stuff stored in a bookshelf weigh less and maybe the bookshelf itself weigh less too.  When you have a lot of maps weighing 0.3 each it adds up.  (BUG? ---->  ACTUALLY whilst it says maps weigh 0.3, they actually weigh 0.35.  Try carrying 1.  It will say weight 0.3.  Then carry 2 it will say 0.7.  Or carry 10 and it will say weight 35). I'm not sure why they round down 0.35 to equal 0.3.  0.35 is always rounded up to 0.4 if anything.   So currently if you have a bookshelf full of maps it will weigh 280 x 0.35 = 98.  That's not including the weight of the actual bookshelf itself.

While I find the bookshelf useful in its current form I would not be opposed to these improvements. 

Still love the bookshelf because I can remember what it was like without them - awful.

+1 to the idea that maps decay more slowly on them though. Getting something (besides your belt) that preserves them for 7 days would mean that you can harvest all week and binge them on a weekend.

• Like 1

Bookshelf was an game changing additon for me. We only had 75 (some crafting stations (12Kg), large storrage box was 45) slot container before. The 280 slots for searching maps/Bps was/is so great.

Using NPCs was risky back in the days, the fell throug ceilings and such. Also they tent to even more engram the BPs/maps.

The weight of the maps is a no problem, you should go with a stripped down ship anyway, to be able to carry more gold. The Bookshelf itself is 1unit (i dont even know the unit), right?

Complaining about rounding, really. Full bookshelf (280 MAPS) <100 weight units, that is 400 Gold in weight. So do 1 map and have more weight allready?

Also the Bookshelf has another use that i dont want to miss. I place it at the back next to a sideplank. Now i can run over it with full speed bear and get of the ship without stopping. So it technically replace and unboarding ramp too.

The extra use to increase spoil time would be good. 5 days is abit short, but i think that this is more database related and not an artificial limit.