Sign in to follow this  
Anne Bonney

Question about Whales

Hey folks!

I have engaged whales for the last 4 times I have encountered them, the regular whales. I cannot seem to do damage to them with Ballista Spears. I lay a crap load into them, they they do not aggro at all... no damage, and all my spears are sticking out of them...

Would someone tell me the secret of what I am doing wrong please?

I have seen this phenomenon and with my uneducated opinion it is the whales hitbox that is the problem, if it is miss aligned or something similar. Shoot them a carbine to get aggro it's more reliable and cheaper on ballista ammo

23 minutes ago, Badkebab said:

I have seen this phenomenon and with my uneducated opinion it is the whales hitbox that is the problem, if it is miss aligned or something similar. Shoot them a carbine to get aggro it's more reliable and cheaper on ballista ammo

Can you hit a whale with a carbine? I am being told you cannot, though you once were able to... Thank you though, I will see what happens.

Edited by Anne Bonney

I regularly pull whales with carbines, as recently as last Friday.

They have a very strange hitbox. Head hits usually penetrate from low angles (like a Sloop), other places just porcupine, but high angle shots (from a Galleon) seem to penetrate almost anywhere.

• Thanks 1

I always have to let them get very close to the ship before ballistae start doing damage to them. A lot closer than I'd like, and much closer than the max range of the ballista.

13 hours ago, Anne Bonney said:

I cannot seem to do damage to them with Ballista Spears. I lay a crap load into them, they they do not aggro at all... no damage, and all my spears are sticking out of them

Yep they just stick in a line across the top of the collision box. Pretty sure that's the box that does damage to your ship, but no aggro.

Edited by Nutcutt3r