Sleepinator2000

Treasure Map location variance

I stopped doing Treasure maps about a month ago, after the ubernerf, but since that time have been introducing new players to the game, and low-level treasure maps seem to be fun for them.

As a result we have all been collecting maps from islands local to us and getting a serious pile of them in our own zone that would have been too low for me to consider playing with in the past.

I have a few new observations based on this large sample in a concentrated area, especially on our own island.

1. In another thread that I cannot seem to find, there were huge arguments about spawning AoD on top of other player's structures, and the fact that island owners should know where their spawn points are and not build there, I was skeptical then, but most of my experience had been on very high level, very remote maps, which by definition were rarely in the same zone, much less island, so I didn't feel my experience was sufficient to comment. After doing more than 20 maps on our tiny 15-point island, not even once have I seen a duplicate location. There seem to be about 5 areas that they are generally clustered around, and I have seen a few of them within about 20 feet of previous spawns, but never on the same spot. I am now certain that the idea anyone knows precisely where you can or can't build is patently ridiculous.

2. After encountering several pre-built structures that other players left behind from fighting high-level treasure maps in remote locations, like on the top of remote pillars, never once did the undead spawn in the location that those players had obviously built "around". Instead it seemed to always spawn some distance away from an enclosed structure. Whether that means that maps modify their spawn location based on existing player structures, or if the above RNG is to blame, i don't know. I don't really have an adequate sample of this, but after roughly 200 maps, I have yet to encounter one that actually centered the AoD spawn within an enclosed player structure. The closest I have seen is about 10 feet away from a player structure built over a temple, which made sense to me if the spawn was actually supposed to be on the temple somewhere, but got kicked to the nearest side by the location algorithm. I'm also quite sure that once a map is 'locked in' at the moment a player picks it up, the location is never modified by subsequent player construction, mostly because I used to construct tons of traps and enclosures before spawning a map, and it never moved the beam as a result.

• Like 1

You just said, enclosed structures. Not all structures are enclosed. Raided structures spawn AoD inside. if only the roof or a wall is missing.  They spawn inside. Spawns of maps a defined places. I had did 5 maps in the same spot before. I builded foundations over a pillar in a owned island and they respawned over foundations. If you kill them you can't loot the treasure because shovel don't magically penetrate stone.

One of my favorites is when they spawn over a platform. You cant shovel either because you can only crawl under the platform, but not dig. Maps always  spawn in the same pillars, when the map is at level of sea there are more spawn points, but when the map is in natural pillars or over boulders is always the same spot. 

Block all the AoD spawning points with stone foundations. The game will keep generating maps for that areas. They always spawn in the same areas, anyone that had done thousand of maps in the same island know this. 90% of the maps I did maps where common maps farmed in the same location, 1 grid away of my island. My island had 20 natural pillars and AoD only spawned on one of the 20 pillars. So yes the areas are defined and you can know where this pillars spawns will be.

Edited by Emanuel a

Thanks both.

So both confim there are Spawnpoint/areas somehow.

If a playerstructure is somehow not enclosed, AotD can spawn (like in the raided barn post). Also they can spawn outside with some glitching into the building, if the building is enclosed.

I also had situations where i could not shovel bc ceiling / floor on pillar.

Blocking spawnpoints intentionally is an interessting idea, but maybe the maps for the blocked spawns just go poof?

I also stop treasure map and im unable to guillotine our enemy for exp...i stuck at lvl 105 with lvl max at 150 from that time.

Our organisations have no choices to pvp that make us unable to do treasure hunt anyways.

All i want before return pvp is lvl up to 150 in more way that what we have actually for lv100+.

And in list some way that can be repeat and have short durations for causual player or when not have long time for long travel...if no one steal all your map before day you go for treasure and hope exp and lvl up.

I do 10 blue card and i got less than 1 CM exp...if we done it over 2x or more with Music Exp Buff im unable to play myself...so i need team and tamed bear or other tamed killer.

Just because i feel i cant reach 150 by repeat thing that take less than 30 min total for à % exp...enouch to not have to done it to mutch time per level.

Thanks

12 hours ago, Emanuel a said:

My island had 20 natural pillars and AoD only spawned on one of the 20 pillars. So yes the areas are defined and you can know where this pillars spawns will be.

I believe you, and perhaps there is a limited number of spawn clusters per island, but on a small island, I have 5 separate clusters of spawns that appear to literally take up all of the usable land (except where my base and barn are, locations that were chosen arbitrarily before we had seen any spawns).

11 hours ago, Kummba said:

Blocking spawnpoints intentionally is an interessting idea, but maybe the maps for the blocked spawns just go poof?

Exactly. I suspect this is the reason that 25% of map bottles go poof when you pick them up. Somehow the verifier can't identify a non-enclosed place to spawn, so better to delete the map than cause heartache to the finder.

31 minutes ago, Sleepinator2000 said:

Exactly. I suspect this is the reason that 25% of map bottles go poof when you pick them up. Somehow the verifier can't identify a non-enclosed place to spawn, so better to delete the map than cause heartache to the finder.

If only that was true,  Picking up a Treasure bottle that goes poof is because the AoD spawn point is blocked by player structures.  Honestly I don't think GS thought of that.

Last few maps i have done, I know the dev's didnt say anything but something was tweaked because it has gotten ALOT better.   Still far from perfect, but a hell of alot better then what is was. 

14 hours ago, Emanuel a said:

You just said, enclosed structures. Not all structures are enclosed.

I believe in general he's talking about the kinds of thing people build to fight aoD, not structures in general.  For example, you enter a clearing in the woods and there are stairs to nowhere with a platform on top of it...it's likely built for Aod, but the AOD are actually spawning away from it where the structure is now useless, so that's not a static spawn spot.  Same with ramps up mountains.  You know it was built for an aod spawn, but when you get there it's on the next peak over instead, or halfway down on a ledge.

I've seen this on our island too.  The spawns can happen in a pretty large radius, and he's right saying that on a small island, if you take all that area into account, there can be nowhere left to build.  We've had people spawn aod inside our barn before, so I'm not putting too much faith into the enclosed vs not enclosed ideas.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dosgimp said:

Last few maps i have done, I know the dev's didnt say anything but something was tweaked because it has gotten ALOT better.   Still far from perfect, but a hell of alot better then what is was. 

When you say it has gotten a lot better, do you mean:

1. Bottles poof less often?

2. Location of map is more approachable?

3. They are not appearing close to structures?

If 1 or 3, it *could* be a result of all the improved autocleanup that is now removing abandoned structures and spam that might have been blocking maps before.

9 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

We've had people spawn aod inside our barn before

Is it build on floors only or are pillars used (or even not enclosed at all). Did the whole pack spawn inside or only some?

4 hours ago, Kummba said:

Is it build on floors only or are pillars used (or even not enclosed at all). Did the whole pack spawn inside or only some?

I can't answer the last question, but regarding the build, it's built like Fort Knox.  Multiple layers of stone foundation, etc.  (Having started out on a desert island infested with cobras, I guess that's become a habit now) Even so, I saw the top 1/3 of a cow rising out of the floor in there the other day. It looked more like it had spawned there than warped in through the walls and floor.   It's not surprising.  I've stepped onto rocky areas and sunk in up to my waist not too long ago, and have been stuck inside pigs and bears too, so there's definitely something off with collision detection.

The stucking animals, i dont even....... Bring spyglass all the time.

Regarding your build, spawning animals could indicate a pillar somewhere, or your assumption with differnt meshes are to blame. Good Point, thanks for reply.

Bottles disappear because they've been left there too long. If you don't pick them up in a certain amount of time they despawn, however game is broken and they still remain in the water with no map inside.

38 minutes ago, Drakoviche said:

Bottles disappear because they've been left there too long. If you don't pick them up in a certain amount of time they despawn, however game is broken and they still remain in the water with no map inside.

Don't think thats right, i've been collecting maps at the same island regularly and a couple have not had maps in. a couple times I returned a bit soon so not many had respawned and even then I had ones with no map.