Sign in to follow this  
PeglegTheAngry

/r/playatlas is a big reason this game is dying.

Other than a single meme almost every top post there is player drama. If a post is not player drama it turns into player drama. There is a video post from someone who discovered bears wont whistle off of a Cyclops; the comments turned it into player drama about the player taking a bear into a powerstone; or flat out wrong comments about the game in general. Let's also not mention the bigotry, and the fact the sub is mostly used to shit on the game. Honestly, if I were to blame anything for the lack of players recently, its that shit.

• Haha 2

So the intensely problematic land claim system which forced a wipe to overhaul, the massive lag during launch month from official servers, the epidemic of player griefing and imbalanced combat systems which lead to weeks worth of effort and resources lost in minutes or while offline, the poorly designed economic mechanics in a game striving to emulate Eve, the lack of actual content, especially any content having any semblance of depth or lack of mind numbing repetition, none of these things or a dozen others mentioned more times than I can count...none of these things are Atlas’s downfall in your view?

Instead it is something mundane that I’ve seen in every game I’ve played since 2004, hit and failure alike...players bickering?

Interesting.

Hi. My name is Boomer. Welcome to the internet. Things can get salty here.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

Other than a single meme almost every top post there is player drama. If a post is not player drama it turns into player drama. There is a video post from someone who discovered bears wont whistle off of a Cyclops; the comments turned it into player drama about the player taking a bear into a powerstone; or flat out wrong comments about the game in general. Let's also not mention the bigotry, and the fact the sub is mostly used to shit on the game. Honestly, if I were to blame anything for the lack of players recently, its that shit.

Actually, the reality is when you fail at developing a game properly and it's a steaming pile of broken repetitive content...people just give up and quit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

You don't think shit attitudes are contagious?

I didn't say that. I've long been a proponent of civility in gaming and on forums.  When someone  treats you poorly, the temptation is to behave in kind in response. What I'm saying is that I don't think this is the primary reason for Atlas's downfall. On that front I'm of the opinion there are many things having more of an impact. One of the reasons I say this is because in 15 years of gaming, I have seen both good behavior and bad present in games both successful and failure, over and over again. It just does not tend to be a driving factor in whether a game succeeds or fails imo.  That doesn't mean people should be jerks, or that I'm not in favor of treating each other with respect.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I have seen both good behavior and bad present in games both successful and failure, over and over again. ....

It's not about the behavior its about the visibility. Reddit is the public face of a game right now.

9 minutes ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

It's not about the behavior its about the visibility. Reddit is the public face of a game right now.

Not being a regular user of reddit, I have a hard time believing that as a game's reddit goes, so goes the game. I think reddit is one component as it's certainly a social media platform that lends itself in many ways to the gaming community's needs, but E3, steam reviews, youtube vids, live streaming, media reviews, and believe it or not, good old fashioned word of mouth ("See kids, this is what us old timers do when you lot are texting and facetiming each other, it's super old school and it's called having an actual honest to dog face to face conversation. Someday you'll try it, probably when the power goes out."). There are more components than just reddit to a game's public face, especially when you talk to gamers over a certain age who have been playing games since before social media was even a thing (there are more of us than you think).

Even if we accept the notion that it's all about reddit, Atlas's poor performance thus far would still be about more than just people being jackholes to each other. I have little doubt redditers are also talking about the game's functional and structural shortcomings as well as any perceived abundance of asshattery.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, PeglegTheAngry said:

So youre saying that humans are the actual problem..???

Wow, genius at work... ?! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Not being a regular user of reddit, I have a hard time believing that as a game's reddit goes, so goes the game.

To be honest one must be pretty naive to believe that the (usual) loud minority of forum dwellers is representative for the overall playerbase. But if you only have a hammer every problem tends to look like a nail....

Wildcard and totoally-not-Wildcard both never gave a damn about moderating and shaping their community - that pays of...not always in a positive way..

Edited by Artist

Reddit does not matter for a game - it's a very small % of the marketing-mix. There are other social plattforms that matter way more because they reach massivly more ppl.

Especially for a small dev-team trying to mod Reddit is a lost cause. The man-power needed for that is simply not there. I would not bother with it either. It's a simple number game of where to invest the little money and manpower you have.

Btw if you think that Reddit is a viable source for information and to shape opinion I am actually worried for you. Don't bubble up like that!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Reddit is hardly active. Compared to the Ark sub the Atlas sub is almost non-existent.

You mean kind of like how the Atlas playerbase is almost non-existent compared to the Ark playerbase?

29 minutes ago, Slash78 said:

You mean kind of like how the Atlas playerbase is almost non-existent compared to the Ark playerbase?

No I don't mean like that, if I did I would have said that. This topic is talking about how the Atlas Sub Reddit is a big reason this game is dieing. But it's hardly used by anyone, so it  can't be a big reason. People are just making excuses and blaming the players for Atlas problems.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

No I don't mean like that, if I did I would have said that. This topic is talking about how the Atlas Sub Reddit is a big reason this game is dieing. But it's hardly used by anyone, so it  can't be a big reason. People are just making excuses and blaming the players for Atlas problems.

The players are a large part of Atlas's problems.  Just like players are a large part of the problem on Ark Official servers.  The Devs not only didn't do anything to mitigate the problem there, they in fact encouraged the problem behavior.  And a big part of what is sinking Atlas is the very same behavior.  

• Like 1

actually it is pretty funny to see the crybabys complain over everything they are not able to master. like the easiest things... taming farming playing always an issue for someone...

even streamers complained the bears are so OP because he was too stupid to hit a shot...

they always look for excuses...

fact is majority is too noobish, unexperienced, or casual, and they mean they have a voice to complain because of their subjective view.

and no it is not only this game... it's everywhere... just look, everywhere gamedevs that are telling you how your game has to be

i personaly only complain for gamebreaking bugs and give suggestions and another perspective (view) on some things, talking helps.

Edited by photek