Christopher Blake

Arrows vs Firearms

I came back to Atlas and I decided to start playing on the PvE server this time. I have been looking for information regarding arrow and bullet damage on wild creatures but what I have found so far seems contradictory as well as outdated. I would like to know what is the best method to kill creatures (lion,wolves etc.) Should I invest some points on firearms or stick to the bow? Also, are fire arrows as op as they used to be back when it was released?

Thank you in advance.

2 hours ago, Christopher Blake said:

I came back to Atlas and I decided to start playing on the PvE server this time. I have been looking for information regarding arrow and bullet damage on wild creatures but what I have found so far seems contradictory as well as outdated. I would like to know what is the best method to kill creatures (lion,wolves etc.) Should I invest some points on firearms or stick to the bow? Also, are fire arrows as op as they used to be back when it was released?

Thank you in advance.

If you are killing a hydra or the dragon for your powerstone I would recommend a carbine. In all other situations screw firearms and use bows. A couple of headshots with a bow will do any lion in and wolves were nerfed into the ground and are no longer good at anything.

If you have riding T3 I recommend to get a tiger, you'll kill anything with it on regular islands without too much trouble. Bears are pretty decent to, especially for treasure maps since they are tanky.

Edited by Wolff
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wolff said:

If you are killing a hydra or the dragon for your powerstone I would recommend a carbine. In all other situations screw firearms and use bows. A couple of headshots with a bow will do any lion in and wolves were nerfed into the ground and are no longer good at anything.

If you have riding T3 I recommend to get a tiger, you'll kill anything with it on regular islands without too much trouble.

Thank you very much. How about fire arrows? Are they worth creating or should I stick to the ordinary type of arrow?

2 minutes ago, Christopher Blake said:

Thank you very much. How about fire arrows? Are they worth creating or should I stick to the ordinary type of arrow?

I haven't used them in a long long long time. When I did it was more as a fun gimmick for setting creatures on fire just because I could.

Edited by Wolff
  • Like 1

Fire arrows were nerfed a while back, still ok in pvp but not great againts wilds. I highly recommend the crossbow for killing animals like lions, tigers etc.

• Like 1

Fire arrow are good against packs, and alpha.
But not to good against 1 or 2 basic.

Though, all weapons are good.
While with a bow you will be able to kill many creatures, even with miss.
A pistol will allow you to one shot a lion/tiger/wolf easy (aim the head). So with a double pistol you will be able to kill 2 lvl 30 lion without being touch.
A carbine will allow you to shoot very far and kill cobra.
Crossbow is fun though, like a winchester but with arrow. But range is very low

• Like 1

The choice is yours,    The one important factor to keep in mind is "Ammo"      Arrows are cheap and work well early game.   Fire arrow's "nerfed" dont bother imo.  However they have the usage of igniting Oil Jars which are critical for Ice Cave.    

Blunderbuss is Point Blank Raw Powa - Shotgun style...   again ammo requires gunpowder,  then you have the well rounded Xbow good for underwater, above water,  6 round clip,  Mid Range and decent damage - Ammo  needing a good amount of metal.  

Next update we are expecting a 6 round clip pistol.  

So skill up,  to your play style.   However I can say for certain, once you acquire a decent Tame,   odds are you wont be wielding any weapon. 

• Like 1

treasure maps arrows no longer work, if grapeshot comes to their senses that might get changed back.  bear swipes is your best option for that.

Edited by krazmuze
  • Like 1

Bows are best for sustained DPS, while guns are best for an initial burst damage stand-point.  In a PvE aspect I'm more of a fan of equipping a sword, pistol, and a Blunderbus for different scenarios.  Lion attacks and grabs you -> Blunderbus to the face, something further away -> Pistol, cobra or something in melee -> sword.  The best part about Guns vs Bows is that you can still shoot a gun while grabbed by a lion and you can't shoot a bow until he releases you.

Pretty sure the Xbow can't shoot underwater. Aside from that does anyone know the damage compared to a bow? having to use a smithy to repair and make ammo is a bit of a pain if the dmg isn't much better.