Sign in to follow this  
Daish

2x 3x 4x bonus weekends made me quit

i felt like it was pointless playing and farming resources outside these bonus periods
i felt forced to play within these small windows of time and it made the game un-enjoyable

last thing im going to say unless you improve the quality of life for brand new players in PvP servers the game will never grow without growth everyone suffers and the game dies i constantly see new players try out the game who end up quitting within the first 1-2 hours 

• Like 3

That's basically a much more elaborate way of saying the same thing that i always say, which is that the game design is a steaming hot pile of horseshit.

If it weren't for the 2x weekends, the 24/7 welfare/preschool faction would be even further ahead of the rest of us, though, because grapecard doesn't know how to do diminishing returns, so everything always scales linearly.

Double amount of people: double the outcome.

Same with double amount of time.

There is not even one mechanism in the whole game which acts as a slowly accumulating antagonist to any one process in the game.

Which is basic game design 101.

• Like 1

I play mainly single player now and that option is always there.

I've thought about putting X2 on myself for weekends but held off for now. I think the more you make it easier for yourself, the faster you become bored.

As for other settings they might as well not be there, i will never touch them as its cheating in my eyes.

• Like 1

The 2x weekends is imo the only thing that enables some players to actually keep playing. I am away 13h / day for work during the weeks so weekend is only time i can really farm and play more etc. If it was 1x rates on weekends I would lose interest very very fast. Those rates are way, way too low for people with busy real lives, (which should be a lot of people these days). 

I've never messed with breeding for same reason, I don't have infinite time to put into game. Often I have to choose on the weekends too: farm materials or go out for Gold upkeep etc. 

To conclude: to take away 2x weekends would probably results in many more people fleeing this game, feeling they don't have time for this game anymore, since everything becomes (even more) a time sink. 

Long live 2x weekends!   🙂

• Like 2

I could understand this in the case of hardcore PVE players, because in PVE you just acumulate more and more stuff. On the other hand on PVP you are not only consuming things all the time, but also, you usually can't take full advantage of x2 events because you are bussy attacking or defending. On top of that the major timesink is usually transporting things, or crafting and building, so i don't see the problem. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NoobieDooz said:

The 2x weekends is imo the only thing that enables some players to actually keep playing. I am away 13h / day for work during the weeks so weekend is only time i can really farm and play more etc. If it was 1x rates on weekends I would lose interest very very fast. Those rates are way, way too low for people with busy real lives, (which should be a lot of people these days). 

I've never messed with breeding for same reason, I don't have infinite time to put into game. Often I have to choose on the weekends too: farm materials or go out for Gold upkeep etc. 

To conclude: to take away 2x weekends would probably results in many more people fleeing this game, feeling they don't have time for this game anymore, since everything becomes (even more) a time sink. 

Long live 2x weekends!  🙂

I'm basically 10-12 hours at work + housekeeping + wife.... And i'm playing single player on 0.5x rates having tone of fun. 

Consistency is way, way more important than anything else. 
Playing 3-4 hours during week = 1 hours at most. This kills any hint of accomplishment from gathering/building part of gameplay done during work days - and thats about 80% of what i do in this game.
It was not a reason why i quit in first place - that one goes to griefers and constant fear of them - but its one of reasons why I'm not going back.

5 hours ago, Daish said:

i felt like it was pointless playing and farming resources outside these bonus periods
i felt forced to play within these small windows of time and it made the game un-enjoyable

last thing im going to say unless you improve the quality of life for brand new players in PvP servers the game will never grow without growth everyone suffers and the game dies i constantly see new players try out the game who end up quitting within the first 1-2 hours 

Yeh, I got to feel the same way, I've never played on pvt servers because everytime I found one with decent ping etc it was always 5x etc.. The weekends were ok if you'd lost a ship or wanted to build up a new base.. probably great in pvp etc.

But when mon/tues came, you reverted back to "normal" rates, but were then getting less than 1x rate.  Taking harvest skill bonus into consideration, I usually have it at 2nd harvest bonus, it's pretty grindy like that.. Now I have all legendary tools etc I pop trees and rocks like confetti I feel like I don't get much for my buck at all.  I've now tested this using stone picks etc.. I get alot more thatch using a stone pick than I get with metal pick. Metal and indeed higher grade is supposed to harvest the item faster.. so a tree might spawn with 210 wood another 320 and so on, you chop chop and get the wood/thatch etc.  But you seem to get more using stone tools.. could be my imagination could be random change I dunno, certainly takes longer..

But it does feel like you're grinding for 4-5 days, then rocketing along for 2-3 days at weekends, then grinding the following week.  Wears you down.

I just bought a new game tho.. so maybe I won't be around much longer anyway.  Haven't played for 3 days.  Just think.. no me.. awesome eh. The other problem with using high grade tools is you use less energy, thus food drops slower and vits drop faster.. ultimately you get fat.. and no energy and it's always eat poop and die.  You have no choice.. then you use tames and it's worse. 

Anyhow, we'll see how it progresses etc.

Edited by Martyn

Most people that play solo / in tiny groups are the ones that lose out in big open persistent worlds.  Everyone's enjoying Atlas against their own wish and rule sets, but in big open play, it's easy to get sucked into a vortex of persistently changing rules and goalposts.  

By bringing in solo / personal server based game options, more and more people will be able to play atlas they way they want to.  If you have no time to play, but find 2x weekends the only viable time to play, then the new mode will be ideal.  Some people want 0.5x some people feel that farming shouldn't be the aim of the game, but have 10x so that building a boat is trivial, but perhaps prefer PvE fun with no overhead..  ofc single and solo eliminates the spam, player mess and griefing as well.  For me, being a sailor / survivor with and entire grid to myself is an adventure of a lifetime.  Me vs a world to call home.  Sea is a lonely place, i can finally have my house boat and play rules that suit me.  I'm very luckly, the dev team just made Atlas exactly what I want it to be.  I emphase the I. I now have my very own Atlas world, and a fantastic place it is.  I have to exercise discipline with the settings now, so that I don't make things too easy, or, I get frustrated with the difficulty.

If I don't enjoy Atlas now, then I don't deserve Atlas.  I love it, settings and mods bring new life, and I'm grateful to the dev team for bringing this to me.

@Jatheish @Dollie and team, you're awesome.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Elrood said:

I'm basically 10-12 hours at work + housekeeping + wife.... And i'm playing single player on 0.5x rates having tone of fun. 

Consistency is way, way more important than anything else. 
Playing 3-4 hours during week = 1 hours at most. This kills any hint of accomplishment from gathering/building part of gameplay done during work days - and thats about 80% of what i do in this game.
It was not a reason why i quit in first place - that one goes to griefers and constant fear of them - but its one of reasons why I'm not going back.

Yeah I think our experiences might be quite different, I am owner of a Company and have responsibility 2 bring in Gold for upkeep of 2 islands and that is a bit rough sometimes. Even more so since almost  everyone else is away on holiday. Also we have tons of tames to look after. The weekdays mon - fri being lower rates don't bother me - I always have tons to do then anyway - transport rare resources, take care of tames, do our big gardens, look after and keep our islands clean from spam, etc. 

But if there werent 2x rates on weekend I don't Think I would be as interested in the game -  cause everything just takes too da*n long already, as it is...  If they removed 2x, they would have to make sailing way way faster or something, for it being worth it, to me. Perhaps up the minimum wind speed by 100 %.

Just upkeep alone, when you're an island owner, takes up lots of time. Aswell as trying to recruit new people etc.  I almost never have time to go out and just explore stuff, it's mostly upkeep and farming materials i spend time on, as slow as everything already goes in this game. 

I don't have any numbers to support it but my thought is that I have seen far more people talking about what a time sink this game is, and that that makes them bored, rather than the other way around. 

Just my opinion though, just as you are allowed yours ofc.   🙂

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NoobieDooz said:

Yeah I think our experiences might be quite different, I am owner of a Company and have responsibility 2 bring in Gold for upkeep of 2 islands and that is a bit rough sometimes. Even more so since almost  everyone else is away on holiday. Also we have tons of tames to look after. The weekdays mon - fri being lower rates don't bother me - I always have tons to do then anyway - transport rare resources, take care of tames, do our big gardens, look after and keep our islands clean from spam, etc. 

But if there werent 2x rates on weekend I don't Think I would be as interested in the game -  cause everything just takes too da*n long already, as it is...  If they removed 2x, they would have to make sailing way way faster or something, for it being worth it, to me. Perhaps up the minimum wind speed by 100 %.

Just upkeep alone, when you're an island owner, takes up lots of time. Aswell as trying to recruit new people etc.  I almost never have time to go out and just explore stuff, it's mostly upkeep and farming materials i spend time on, as slow as everything already goes in this game. 

I don't have any numbers to support it but my thought is that I have seen far more people talking about what a time sink this game is, and that that makes them bored, rather than the other way around. 

Just my opinion though, just as you are allowed yours ofc.   🙂

Wow... that feels painful.

I think it need to be said that I don't really pay that much attention to the rate itself. 0.5 is fun for me on single, but i could also play on x4, x5, etc without any problem, as long as its consistent. This 0.5 is just because I know how much content atlas has and I want it to last a bit longer (and i don't care about grind).

On the other hand I'm not a person who can "appreciate" lose of value of my time when I don't play with high rates. Especially when its x4. Its like, sure I can do something now, it will take an hour to get materials. But I can just wait for weekend and do it in 15 minutes. It spoils satisfaction from a lot of accomplishments and add real life time table into the game way too intrusively for me.

2x or 4x rates is the only reason why me and a lot of our company members still play.. theres to much bugs.. disapearing structures... ,ships.... and decaying shit goin on, even if the game would be finish and stable, theres no way playin atlas with out boost weekend.

From the point of view of a hardcore player 2k hours play time since wipe.

Edited by Egon von Sturmberg
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 9:31 AM, user1 said:

If it weren't for the 2x weekends, the 24/7 welfare/preschool faction would be even further ahead of the rest of us, though, because grapecard doesn't know how to do diminishing returns, so everything always scales linearly.

Well, thats

On 7/19/2019 at 9:31 AM, user1 said:

a steaming hot pile of horseshit.

Welfare/preschool faction you are so scared would do both weekends and weeks. So you are maybe maintaining status quo on weekend and still have at most half of what they have. Actually even less, cause sailing is a thing and its not 2x faster on weekends. So they loose time on week on gathering but sailing goes the same time, which means you still got you ass kicked by those preschool/welfare/24h  streamers. 

On the other hand those of us who has completely random time for playing, are screwed if would be screwed if we could not play on weekend. Fortunately single player exist now, so you can have your x10 weeks too without me saying anything about it 🙂 

This x2 x4 weekends are too much. Few days post wipe @Jatheish says, that this events will be not every weekend. Now you have it every weekend again.

So normal week in ATLAS is farming during the event and do other stuff when its not active.

What would be happen when there is a weekend without event?? Peolple wouldnt play?? I dont think so. A lot of people will find other activitys which are not effected by events. They will do some kraken runs, ice dungeon, ghost ship, power stones, essences, breeding, exploring, crafting, building etc.

For me 1 weekend per month with special events would be enough. Like a breeding weekend , farming weekend or crafting weekend (×2 60% chance or less ressource cost /2).

16 hours ago, Elrood said:

Well, thats

Welfare/preschool faction you are so scared would do both weekends and weeks. So you are maybe maintaining status quo on weekend and still have at most half of what they have. Actually even less, cause sailing is a thing and its not 2x faster on weekends. So they loose time on week on gathering but sailing goes the same time, which means you still got you ass kicked by those preschool/welfare/24h  streamers. 

On the other hand those of us who has completely random time for playing, are screwed if would be screwed if we could not play on weekend. Fortunately single player exist now, so you can have your x10 weeks too without me saying anything about it 🙂 

I never said that having 2x weekends was a particularly good solution to the problem.

Anyway, if the rates were equally as high during periods where people with a job cannot play, the no-lifers would still be even further ahead of the rest.

A feasible way to address this problem would be to implement diminishing returns, in such a way that each successive time period sunk into playing the game yields lesser and lesser results, until the difference between spending another hour of playing  or not is so infinitesimally miniscule that it hardly makes any difference at all.

This tipping point should ideally be reached after spending an amount of time at playing the game, which can realistically be reached by a vast majority of players, which i estimate to be at roughly 4h/day.

If you insist on abusing your ability to spend quadruple the time on the game that other people can, you should not be surprised to see player numbers plummet until it is only the no-lifers left and the game eventually dies from mass player extinction.

If there is a portion of players whom you do not provide equal opportunity at keeping up with everyone else, you are going to lose that portion of players eventually.

Grapeshot has shown on multiple occasions their inability to avoid screwing over smaller companies and players who spend less time on the game.

Don't further encourage them to keep up with this bullshit!

Even the basic concept of grinding/levelling is detrimental to the idea of PvP, because the winner of a conflict is not determined by who is playing better, but by who has been playing/grinding more.

Edited by user1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, user1 said:

I never said that having 2x weekends was a particularly good solution to the problem.

Anyway, if the rates were equally as high during periods where people with a job cannot play, the no-lifers would still be even further ahead of the rest.

A feasible way to address this problem would be to implement diminishing returns, in such a way that each successive time period sunk into playing the game yields lesser and lesser results, until the difference between spending another hour of playing  or not is so infinitesimally miniscule that it hardly makes any difference at all.

This tipping point should ideally be reached after spending an amount of time at playing the game, which can realistically be reached by a vast majority of players, which i estimate to be at roughly 4h/day.

If you insist on abusing your ability to spend quadruple the time on the game that other people can, you should not be surprised to see player numbers plummet until it is only the no-lifers left and the game eventually dies from mass player extinction.

If there is a portion of players whom you do not provide equal opportunity at keeping up with everyone else, you are going to lose that portion of players eventually.

Grapeshot has shown on multiple occasions their inability to avoid screwing over smaller companies and players who spend less time on the game.

Don't further encourage them to keep up with this bullshit!

Even the basic concept of grinding/levelling is detrimental to the idea of PvP, because the winner of a conflict is not determined by who is playing better, but by who has been playing/grinding more.

That idea i actually really like.
Something akin to WoW "rested" mechanics where the longer you are offline the higher "rates" you have would be perfect solution, when capped at something reasonable. I don't have time nor will to crunch math right now, but something akin to 0.03 rate per hour increase and 0.2 decrease per hour, capping at x4 could maybe work out well. 
From my quick excel calculations, it would allow someone who pay 3 hours per day accumulate enough (after week or two of regular playing) to always start with x4. 
But someone who play 4 or more would actually use all accumulated time from day before. Plus longer breaks would actually allow to catch up a bit easier.

Edit:
Actually allowing x4 for constant 3h per day playtime is to much imho, so rate per hour increase should be probably lower. How low I'm not sure.

Edited by Elrood
  • Like 1

i think this thread is kinda hilarious... atlas is a survival mmo and even if it wasnt there will always be a huge gap between casuals and no lifers or solo/small group vs large group... if you remove certain elements you get humilated with skill and if that is not possible nobody would buy the game cuz it would be boring... that said what is your goal in a mmo like atlas? as i started i did not care at all about what large companies did and dwelled on lawless thinking im mighty with plate and carbine vs animals...

specially if you choose to play pvp instead of pve... sink ships and destroy stuff without consequences and get everything for free?

all i can say about this is... delusional+ignorant...

probably does not matter anymore in the current state of the game as you can basically solo on official pretty easy...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wichtelman said:

i think this thread is kinda hilarious... atlas is a survival mmo and even if it wasnt there will always be a huge gap between casuals and no lifers or solo/small group vs large group... if you remove certain elements you get humilated with skill and if that is not possible nobody would buy the game cuz it would be boring... that said what is your goal in a mmo like atlas? as i started i did not care at all about what large companies did and dwelled on lawless thinking im mighty with plate and carbine vs animals...

specially if you choose to play pvp instead of pve... sink ships and destroy stuff without consequences and get everything for free?

all i can say about this is... delusional+ignorant...

probably does not matter anymore in the current state of the game as you can basically solo on official pretty easy...    

Not only I have no idea what exactly you want to add to discussion, i have strong suspicion you managed to contradict yourself somewhere there... 

i did not quote you elrod... i just think it is kinda without words to say players quit in 1-2 hours cuz they do not like a survival mmo and cuz of that the devs should adjust the game and dumb everything down...

ok he does not like bonus we and a lot of other players do like it so what?

id say most players quit cuz of the terrible performance but thats just my opinion...

Edited by Wichtelman

Myself personally,  I don't think the weekend bonus rates really hurt anyone or the game.   I mean think of it,  For the past few weeks you have been growing larger and larger in size, with crew, tames, ships, FoB's, etc.   During the weekend as you all know I try to do treasure maps, and in between when Wind is shitty or not  favor,  I will fast travel to an FoB, and farm up whichever resource Im low on.   Each island will give you the base line of goods needed to build anything "Common"   we all know that...   But its 2x now,  so you can fill up your Silo with berries up to the point you wont need to do it again for 2 weeks before anything dies from hungry.    Thanks to that 2x  and now all my crew is good for 2 weeks,   after 2 hours of farming.   

I just woke up, at work, no coffee yet.   I know what im trying to say,  but clearly cant type it out.   Let me try again after some java..

Hi everyone!

I do agree with the to each his own preference. I believe that those focused on the 2x 3x 4x stuff are completely losing sight of the game... Just PLAY! I play at all times I can, and enjoy it thoroughly. I just count the X weekends as a bonus, love them of course, but I do the same when they are off. There are all walks of life in here, from those working 80 hours a week, to the unemployed. I believe Grapeshot is doing a great job in spreading the wealth to all. It is not like we are now on 4x 7 days a week, and who knows how things will change in the future? Geez, if you want to go 4-5 days a week without playing the game, fine! But please don't come in here complaining about the weekends when MOST people have time to play.

Edited by Anne Bonney
  • Like 1

Just my 2 cents : I „hoard“ ships in my drydocks during 2x and hoard maps for 2x weekends.

This is stupid. Better would be a „general“ 2x setup for the official servers.

A general „1x“ setup would be also ok, but the increase just for the weekends is a motivation killer.

I vote for same conditions for everybody at any time !

19 minutes ago, Talono said:

Just my 2 cents : I „hoard“ ships in my drydocks during 2x and hoard maps for 2x weekends.

This is stupid. Better would be a „general“ 2x setup for the official servers.

A general „1x“ setup would be also ok, but the increase just for the weekends is a motivation killer.

I vote for same conditions for everybody at any time !

This is only 1 more of the 100 plus reasons why WoW is better in every way.

WoW had it set up to a timer of which you were offline. If you were gone for a week you had a longer exp amount to have increased exp. sure the people that were online all day every day would still be ahead but it sure helped the people that couldn’t get online all the time or “weekends” 

these guys have plenty of ideas/proven mechanics to go off of.

the more they take from WoW, the more successful they will become.

”rested” exp is literally a perfect system. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

get rid of 2x,3x whatever and do rested exp. automatic greatness.

Edited by Realist

The same in Conan Exiles. The reason that i stay in Atlas despite these horrible devs, who invest their time into „cats“ and „quality of life - mega companys & streamers!only“ is ships and pirate setting, which i just love.

Maybe they should think about the reasons, why these 10-players-max-tribe servers in ARK are that popular.

8 hours ago, Realist said:

This is only 1 more of the 100 plus reasons why WoW is better in every way.

WoW had it set up to a timer of which you were offline. If you were gone for a week you had a longer exp amount to have increased exp. sure the people that were online all day every day would still be ahead but it sure helped the people that couldn’t get online all the time or “weekends” 

these guys have plenty of ideas/proven mechanics to go off of.

the more they take from WoW, the more successful they will become.

”rested” exp is literally a perfect system. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

get rid of 2x,3x whatever and do rested exp. automatic greatness.

And again. Stop trolling here.

You never played this game, but always complain.

Dont judge a game which you never played........!!!