Jump to content

ShadowFlea

How Atlas died.... :(

Recommended Posts

I sincerely hope the devs read this and take this to heart. I'm sure some will disagree but after talking to countless people and being in streams asking streamers and viewers alike why they stopped playing the same few answers keep coming up. The main answer being the devs went too “Ark” with Atlas. I think describing that would be an insult to peoples intelligence as there is a reason the recent 24 hour peak of Ark was 55,518 people and Atlas was 3,430 people.

 

The reason people were so excited for Atlas originally was the idea of a survival based piracy game. Somehow that concept got morphed into a game with a fictional AI enemy (ghost ships), animals that are far too important when it comes to raiding and hostile animals such as crocodiles that are massive and pull from the experience. It seems much easier to just add the ships from Atlas to Ark to get that same affect.

 

What people actually wanted from Atlas was a survival based piracy game without the Ark style creatures in it. Which is why Ark has more daily active users than Atlas by a long shot. What people want to see changed that will draw large numbers back:

 

  • A game that doesn't feel like a job in terms of gold/food upkeep for AI.

  • More AI enemies and different factions that are realistic to the lore of it i.e. AI pirates and a Royal Navy that is out trying to catch pirates (even the AI pirates) and if you are able to sink them they have loot on them such as weapons, armor, gold, supplies, etc.

  • Add the possibility of the Royal Navy landing on your shores to kill/capture pirates. Maybe even a "reputation" with them that provokes more aggressive attacks the higher your reputation is. Essentially like a wanted system. Help relieve the pvp griefing when AI is also attacking people that are killing the AI navy.

  • Have animals that are relevant and realistic i.e. cows, horses, parrots, monkeys etc.

  • Limit the number of AI members for a company instead of the insane gold upkeep (which mostly only Megas can keep up with). Make it so it's expensive to recruit them and only takes food to upkeep them and limit it to 10-15 AI per person with a cap of 200 AI in a company or something to that affect.

  • Anti griefing measures which most agree have been resolved already. Thank you for that btw!!!

 

These are just a few of the major recommendations people had to help bring life back to the game and make it something they would enjoy again.

 

For the life of me I can't wrap my mind around why the devs keep pushing Atlas closer and closer to Ark while watching the player base drop constantly to the point where I can hardly see it being profitable to keep trying to develop this game which means the game is literally dying. I would love to hear the devs reasoning for constantly taking this game down a road that clearly pushed over 55,000 people away from their game (all-time peak of 58,788 per steam). At a certain point there needs to be a realization that the current model/path for this game is not one that is conducive to a large player base.

 

I agree with most people that “you might as well play Ark instead” at this point. Minus the stability issues this game is a goldmine if it just goes away from the Ark mentality. It's clear the devs did a great job at Ark because the daily peak is literally 16x higher than Atlas. The issue is people don't want Atlas to be Ark with ships and that is how the vast majority describe it.

 

I beg the devs to take a serious look at what they are doing with the game and to take a serious look at what the community actually wants out of this game. Of course it is absolutely their decision how to develop the game and where to take it but it's those same decisions that are killing Atlas. I understand that this will most likely fall on deaf ears and will mostly get responses from trolls but at least I can say that I tried to help push the game in the right direction before watching it die.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me it's got a lot of what I like about Ark, plus ships, treasure hunting, etc.  For me the issues are, PvP lacks focus.  Also, only the large pvp companies are really supposed to compete, which leaves everyone else out.  Also, no real in-game economy.  They managed to turn exploration into a chore.

It's a mistake to say Atlas should be a "pirate game".  It's pirate themed, but it should be more of a empire builder/4x game (at least from the macro level).  Get as many people as possible taking part in that, without losing the create-your-own-adventure nature of the game.  Give people reasons to do things and not to do things.  People get board and leave the game or people get board, troll others and the other people leave the game.  Leaving the game pretty much empty at this point.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ShadowFlea said:

I sincerely hope the devs read this and take this to heart. I'm sure some will disagree but after talking to countless people and being in streams asking streamers and viewers alike why they stopped playing the same few answers keep coming up. The main answer being the devs went too “Ark” with Atlas. I think describing that would be an insult to peoples intelligence as there is a reason the recent 24 hour peak of Ark was 55,518 people and Atlas was 3,430 people.

 

The reason people were so excited for Atlas originally was the idea of a survival based piracy game. Somehow that concept got morphed into a game with a fictional AI enemy (ghost ships), animals that are far too important when it comes to raiding and hostile animals such as crocodiles that are massive and pull from the experience. It seems much easier to just add the ships from Atlas to Ark to get that same affect.

 

What people actually wanted from Atlas was a survival based piracy game without the Ark style creatures in it. Which is why Ark has more daily active users than Atlas by a long shot. What people want to see changed that will draw large numbers back:

 

  • A game that doesn't feel like a job in terms of gold/food upkeep for AI.

  • More AI enemies and different factions that are realistic to the lore of it i.e. AI pirates and a Royal Navy that is out trying to catch pirates (even the AI pirates) and if you are able to sink them they have loot on them such as weapons, armor, gold, supplies, etc.

  • Add the possibility of the Royal Navy landing on your shores to kill/capture pirates. Maybe even a "reputation" with them that provokes more aggressive attacks the higher your reputation is. Essentially like a wanted system. Help relieve the pvp griefing when AI is also attacking people that are killing the AI navy.

  • Have animals that are relevant and realistic i.e. cows, horses, parrots, monkeys etc.

  • Limit the number of AI members for a company instead of the insane gold upkeep (which mostly only Megas can keep up with). Make it so it's expensive to recruit them and only takes food to upkeep them and limit it to 10-15 AI per person with a cap of 200 AI in a company or something to that affect.

  • Anti griefing measures which most agree have been resolved already. Thank you for that btw!!!

 

These are just a few of the major recommendations people had to help bring life back to the game and make it something they would enjoy again.

 

For the life of me I can't wrap my mind around why the devs keep pushing Atlas closer and closer to Ark while watching the player base drop constantly to the point where I can hardly see it being profitable to keep trying to develop this game which means the game is literally dying. I would love to hear the devs reasoning for constantly taking this game down a road that clearly pushed over 55,000 people away from their game (all-time peak of 58,788 per steam). At a certain point there needs to be a realization that the current model/path for this game is not one that is conducive to a large player base.

 

I agree with most people that “you might as well play Ark instead” at this point. Minus the stability issues this game is a goldmine if it just goes away from the Ark mentality. It's clear the devs did a great job at Ark because the daily peak is literally 16x higher than Atlas. The issue is people don't want Atlas to be Ark with ships and that is how the vast majority describe it.

 

I beg the devs to take a serious look at what they are doing with the game and to take a serious look at what the community actually wants out of this game. Of course it is absolutely their decision how to develop the game and where to take it but it's those same decisions that are killing Atlas. I understand that this will most likely fall on deaf ears and will mostly get responses from trolls but at least I can say that I tried to help push the game in the right direction before watching it die.

Atlas being similar to Ark is no issue at all. Only people who are fans of “pirates” have problem with that similarity.

You are right partially though, when you quote “lack of anti griefing measures”. This is correct.

However, Atlas is failing because of 3 other things.

1. sailing to already discovred places takes too long and gets boring, which caused many leavings from game (solution:fast travel)

2. too much oriented towards Zerg companies, majority of players left due to that (some facts say that 70% or more players are buddies and solo players, who stand no chance vs megacompanies, and they left very early on)

3. in pvp aspect, raiding is too easy on land (solution: improve peformance of passsive defenses)

Edited by gnihar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShadowFlea said:

I sincerely hope the devs read this and take this to heart. I'm sure some will disagree but after talking to countless people and being in streams asking streamers and viewers alike why they stopped playing the same few answers keep coming up. The main answer being the devs went too “Ark” with Atlas. I think describing that would be an insult to peoples intelligence as there is a reason the recent 24 hour peak of Ark was 55,518 people and Atlas was 3,430 people.

 

The reason people were so excited for Atlas originally was the idea of a survival based piracy game. Somehow that concept got morphed into a game with a fictional AI enemy (ghost ships), animals that are far too important when it comes to raiding and hostile animals such as crocodiles that are massive and pull from the experience. It seems much easier to just add the ships from Atlas to Ark to get that same affect.

 

What people actually wanted from Atlas was a survival based piracy game without the Ark style creatures in it. Which is why Ark has more daily active users than Atlas by a long shot. What people want to see changed that will draw large numbers back:

 

  • A game that doesn't feel like a job in terms of gold/food upkeep for AI.

  • More AI enemies and different factions that are realistic to the lore of it i.e. AI pirates and a Royal Navy that is out trying to catch pirates (even the AI pirates) and if you are able to sink them they have loot on them such as weapons, armor, gold, supplies, etc.

  • Add the possibility of the Royal Navy landing on your shores to kill/capture pirates. Maybe even a "reputation" with them that provokes more aggressive attacks the higher your reputation is. Essentially like a wanted system. Help relieve the pvp griefing when AI is also attacking people that are killing the AI navy.

  • Have animals that are relevant and realistic i.e. cows, horses, parrots, monkeys etc.

  • Limit the number of AI members for a company instead of the insane gold upkeep (which mostly only Megas can keep up with). Make it so it's expensive to recruit them and only takes food to upkeep them and limit it to 10-15 AI per person with a cap of 200 AI in a company or something to that affect.

  • Anti griefing measures which most agree have been resolved already. Thank you for that btw!!!

 

These are just a few of the major recommendations people had to help bring life back to the game and make it something they would enjoy again.

 

For the life of me I can't wrap my mind around why the devs keep pushing Atlas closer and closer to Ark while watching the player base drop constantly to the point where I can hardly see it being profitable to keep trying to develop this game which means the game is literally dying. I would love to hear the devs reasoning for constantly taking this game down a road that clearly pushed over 55,000 people away from their game (all-time peak of 58,788 per steam). At a certain point there needs to be a realization that the current model/path for this game is not one that is conducive to a large player base.

 

I agree with most people that “you might as well play Ark instead” at this point. Minus the stability issues this game is a goldmine if it just goes away from the Ark mentality. It's clear the devs did a great job at Ark because the daily peak is literally 16x higher than Atlas. The issue is people don't want Atlas to be Ark with ships and that is how the vast majority describe it.

 

I beg the devs to take a serious look at what they are doing with the game and to take a serious look at what the community actually wants out of this game. Of course it is absolutely their decision how to develop the game and where to take it but it's those same decisions that are killing Atlas. I understand that this will most likely fall on deaf ears and will mostly get responses from trolls but at least I can say that I tried to help push the game in the right direction before watching it die.

I can usually jump on a band wagon but I just let this one pass by.

i was fully expecting an ark stand alone that was meant to be a DLC but they decided they want to make more money bu making it an ark stand alone. That is exactly what I got.

the problem is they went too far away from ark with the crappy claim system. I really haven’t seen a worse idea in any other video game.

i would definitely like to let you know that I fully respect your opinion. I am glad you are trying to be helpful, I really am and just because I disagree with you, I would never want you to feel as if your opinion was not validated. Only people of poor character would do that.

I do definitely disagree though. The saving grace would be one of two options.

1. Making it even more like ark(no claims)

2. Making it a true mmo and have the main aspect nothing but quests. Who cares about exploring, it should be an option not a necessity. That was a really stupid idea. The main form of leveling should come from quests. You make a map that takes hours to get around(stupid) and then make that the main way to level? Yeah way to go wildcard.

if they keep that stupid exploring do crap I am literally just going to sail all over the globe to gain the do and then stay put right when I build my base after leveling. Sorry, not going to do it. You might make me step foot on every island once, but I guarantee it will never happen again.

now, if you make me travel to an island because a “quest” tells me too??? Yeah if I am getting WoW style exp you will see me traveling to every damn island, every damn day. This gives us content and story.

sorry but if all I need is a discovery point, I won’t be back plain and simple.

anyways man, thanks for sharing. Your opinion will always be welcome with me.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Slash78 said:

To me it's got a lot of what I like about Ark, plus ships, treasure hunting, etc.  For me the issues are, PvP lacks focus.  Also, only the large pvp companies are really supposed to compete, which leaves everyone else out.  Also, no real in-game economy.  They managed to turn exploration into a chore.

It's a mistake to say Atlas should be a "pirate game".  It's pirate themed, but it should be more of a empire builder/4x game (at least from the macro level).  Get as many people as possible taking part in that, without losing the create-your-own-adventure nature of the game.  Give people reasons to do things and not to do things.  People get board and leave the game or people get board, troll others and the other people leave the game.  Leaving the game pretty much empty at this point.

Pvp doesn’t need focus. It needs to be minimized to an extreme level. That is the part of ark that came here that people don’t want. Nobody wants to be fully wiped. When they do get wiped they leave. People left ark because they got wiped, not out of boredom. 

People leave atlas because they got wiped but also out of boredom(not arguing with you btw). There is a big reason why wipes or fresh servers ALWAYS bring in new players. The reason for this is hope to be able to survive.

if you get wiped by a mega, you know there is no chance to come back. If you get wiped by the devs, you know the Megas got wiped so you actually still have hope. There is no arguing that.

two problems in this scenario, wiping and Megas. As long as both exists, this will never be a successful game period.

both don’t need to leave, but no matter what, one has to be gone.

as far as the economy goes.... an auction house would actually solve everything. People don’t like the auction house because it takes away from the interaction between people. Sure I get that. Interaction doesn’t really matter though. The economy does. There is a reason people have completely flocked to amazon. There simply isn’t a reason for interaction. This one people can feel free to argue with me on. I get it, you like the RP. I won’t tell anyone they are wrong for wanting that.

the truth of the matter is, I don’t believe the devs can make a good economy system that would be considered any better than what an auction house could produce. Love the auction house or hate it, it is the best option right now. It can always be removed later. At the very least it would be a good starter for a real economy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Realist said:

Pvp doesn’t need focus. It needs to be minimized to an extreme level. That is the part of ark that came here that people don’t want. Nobody wants to be fully wiped. When they do get wiped they leave. People left ark because they got wiped, not out of boredom. 

People leave atlas because they got wiped but also out of boredom(not arguing with you btw). There is a big reason why wipes or fresh servers ALWAYS bring in new players. The reason for this is hope to be able to survive.

if you get wiped by a mega, you know there is no chance to come back. If you get wiped by the devs, you know the Megas got wiped so you actually still have hope. There is no arguing that.

two problems in this scenario, wiping and Megas. As long as both exists, this will never be a successful game period.

both don’t need to leave, but no matter what, one has to be gone.

as far as the economy goes.... an auction house would actually solve everything. People don’t like the auction house because it takes away from the interaction between people. Sure I get that. Interaction doesn’t really matter though. The economy does. There is a reason people have completely flocked to amazon. There simply isn’t a reason for interaction. This one people can feel free to argue with me on. I get it, you like the RP. I won’t tell anyone they are wrong for wanting that.

the truth of the matter is, I don’t believe the devs can make a good economy system that would be considered any better than what an auction house could produce. Love the auction house or hate it, it is the best option right now. It can always be removed later. At the very least it would be a good starter for a real economy.

Instead of "focused" think "channeled".  PvP should be channeled into something other than wipes.  This is a problem Ark didn't fix.  It's a problem carried over into Atlas.  But before we say what PvP shouldn't be, we really need to figure out what it should be, how it should be conducted.  How it should be rewarded.  Then figure out how to discourage and prevent everything else.  And figure out a way that everyone that wants to be involved can be and that there is always some kind of conflict in the world.  

Yes, they need an auction house, market or something.  As much as I do like RP and do a lot of trading, it's really hard to be a trader in this game because of the distances (even on a unofficial server) and players being from different time zones.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Slash78 said:

Instead of "focused" think "channeled".  PvP should be channeled into something other than wipes.  This is a problem Ark didn't fix.  It's a problem carried over into Atlas.  But before we say what PvP shouldn't be, we really need to figure out what it should be, how it should be conducted.  How it should be rewarded.  Then figure out how to discourage and prevent everything else.  And figure out a way that everyone that wants to be involved can be and that there is always some kind of conflict in the world.  

Yes, they need an auction house, market or something.  As much as I do like RP and do a lot of trading, it's really hard to be a trader in this game because of the distances (even on a unofficial server) and players being from different time zones.  

Wow man. I automatically started liking you right after this post. You really said everything perfectly. Even if I was one of those guys that argue with everyone I would say “damn, I have no clue what to say”. You have my respect.

as far as pvp goes, I love the “channeled” part. I mean why wipe? Right?of course some will say “that is pvp” unfortunately pvp with wildcard means offline raiding which is definitely not pvp 😂

As far as the auction house goes, right now I don’t even care if @boomervoncannon doesn’t like it, it will be better than what is going on right now. If they come up with something better later on then screw it. But if you can’t get on board for a temporary auction house...... then have fun with your player shops 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure about PvP but the PVE Server already has a Working Economy. People Are Shipping resources from one Grid to another,they sell tames, they sell ships And blueprints for them. You can buy resources or Order specific tames. You can auction stuff And get pre crafted Things or offer Yourself to craft them with your int gear for a Little fee. People even sell fertilizer And high Level Crew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Slash78 said:

Instead of "focused" think "channeled".  PvP should be channeled into something other than wipes.  This is a problem Ark didn't fix.  It's a problem carried over into Atlas.  But before we say what PvP shouldn't be, we really need to figure out what it should be, how it should be conducted.  How it should be rewarded.  Then figure out how to discourage and prevent everything else.  And figure out a way that everyone that wants to be involved can be and that there is always some kind of conflict in the world. 

"focused/channeled pvp" Applause! While watching countless "survival game devs" for years over years Im astonished that the core pvp mechanics are copypasted over and over again without a signifiant rethought.

Base-raping mostly appeals only to a small, rather hard-core-ish, fraction of the playerbase. Might be ok, but if you want to grow your playerbase you have to cater for it to a certain degree.

The whole base-raping pvp mechanic works well in a RTS-game environment - build up, fight enemy, kill base, next round. All done in 30-60mins usually. In a survival game where you have to slave days to build up to be prepared for PVP? Its not working. The result is e.g. (among lots of other examples) Arks alpha tribes that usually stall all meaningful pvp on most servers. It doesnt work and it never will.

Solution: Leave player bases intact, install "pvp hotspots" over for example rare/strategical resources. Voila, you no longer throw players out of the pvp loop because their foundation for pvp (base and resources) got destroyed (often over night).

Then: Install a "domination system". Declare a war, fight other groups, define winner/loser and the loser becomes the vasal of the winning group. (You can fiddle out the fine-detailed mechanics on your own. I coded it before and it works.)

So there are so many possebilities, but not when you have narrow-minded developers who are hamstrung in the "survival game business." Because thats where the copypasta comes from. The survival genre needs fresh blood. Anybody up for the graps? 😃

 

Edited by Artist
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ShadowFlea said:
  •  A game that doesn't feel like a job in terms of gold/food upkeep for AI.

  • More AI enemies and different factions that are realistic to the lore of it i.e. AI pirates and a Royal Navy that is out trying to catch pirates (even the AI pirates) and if you are able to sink them they have loot on them such as weapons, armor, gold, supplies, etc.

  •  Add the possibility of the Royal Navy landing on your shores to kill/capture pirates. Maybe even a "reputation" with them that provokes more aggressive attacks the higher your reputation is. Essentially like a wanted system. Help relieve the pvp griefing when AI is also attacking people that are killing the AI navy.

  •  Have animals that are relevant and realistic i.e. cows, horses, parrots, monkeys etc.

  •  Limit the number of AI members for a company instead of the insane gold upkeep (which mostly only Megas can keep up with). Make it so it's expensive to recruit them and only takes food to upkeep them and limit it to 10-15 AI per person with a cap of 200 AI in a company or something to that affect.

  • Anti griefing measures which most agree have been resolved already. Thank you for that btw!!!

None of that for me.

I've quited because all the progress i had was wiped and after how much stress I had from worying about people sinking my ship on PvE, claiming my flags when i was actually active, claim overlapping, what to do when i'm on holidays.... I've decided no more, thanks, not worth it. 

I will not be back to atlas mmo part until:
- my base will be safe from griefers and stupid bending of mechanics upside down to get upper hand.
- I won't be loosing all the progress mere month or two after starting.
- I won't have to deal with slide show of youth fountain (or similar thing)
- rates will be consistent regardless of the day of week (okey, i can understand independence day, or other once per year, once in 6 month bonuses. But every week? No.).
- they will actually give me an incentive to go back to mmo part now that single player is there.


So probably not before early access finish if ever.
What most of currently playing people are proposing has not that much to do with why I and people like me from PvE quit. More to do with how to keep them still interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Realist said:

People leave atlas because they got wiped but also out of boredom. There is a big reason why wipes or fresh servers ALWAYS bring in new players. The reason for this is hope to be able to survive.

This...

It is not like you leave the game because you got wiped once or many times.
People leave when they realize that what ever they re-build, it will not be save enough to continue and build up again.

Build a huge base and keep lots of defends working, still got wiped by some cannon bear, people leave...
Solo or small company build a ship for few days to finally get out to explore 99% of the game the next day, got sunk again while anchored over night, why start a new ship...?

And yeah, most of the people came to Atlas, because it should have been less ARK, as in dominance of the tames.
But it is not like the tames are the problem, the problem is, that the tames are so overpowered in PVP. PVP is the problem not the tames used in it.
It is not the bear that wipes you. It is the cannon cart behind it that out-ranges your defenses, makes them useless, sinks your anchored ships.

If your defenses would hold against a lonely cannon bear and a bob, you could come back online to CONTINUE your personal quest.

 

The PVE bobs, well they cannot be help. The game mechanic is made for PVP resolution of their problems. As said before they leave of boredom or of PVE-griefing.

 

And please forget about the idea you could limit any form of interaction and cooperation in a MMO game, both are mutually exclusive.
No 'hard' limit on company size or alliance numbers will get you an upper limit. If a bunch of people want to work together they will get that organised in-game or through third party tools. Live with it and design the game to mitigate the effect of larger groups.
Or are you really thinking their should be a game-master that bans and wipes people for voluntary cooperation? In a MMO?

 

Also, something some people say for why they leave the game "I could not get my own claim/could not hold my own claim, meh..."
How about finally realizing that the claim system is not for you to get, own and hold a claim?
How about finally realizing that the claim system makes you a target if you are small and keeps you away from doing the stuff everyone can do in the game, like 90% of the rest of the game?
Same goes for the lawless people. "If I cannot get a claim, I stay lawless" and get raided and wiped.
Currently the only solution for the small guys is to get on a claimed island and enjoy the safety from it to play the game.

But if you are leaving because of the claim system, please go back to real life and try to open up you own country and come back here to tell us how that worked out.
And please don't come running back crying, because all the other countries already claimed the whole "map"...😱
I heard there is still free claims on Mars available...🤔
How about you live with a community on a claim like you do in real life...? With the added bonus, if you don't like it, you can just leave to another claimed island no problem...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I never played Ark so can't compare everything but I have seen some gameplay of it and it does look remarkably similar.

I think they thought they could hoodwink alot of people and its severely backfired.

They should never have based it like Ark, even the controls. It doesn't feel like a pirate game I have to say. The ghost ships shouldn't be in at all or at least have them so they are rare.

I don't have confidence in the devs to make the game what it should have been, even to take it in opposite direction of Ark right now would be a massive job, they might as well start from scratch and that won't happen.

They missed a good chance to have a great game. They may as well just have focused on an Ark DLC like others stated. Overall it has been a big let down can't get away from that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, gnihar said:

Atlas being similar to Ark is no issue at all. Only people who are fans of “pirates” have problem with that similarity.

You mean the 50,000 people that left?

A TON of people bought the game for pirates. I'd say a majority of the players who never played Ark or even realized it was the same studio did so for that reason. The Ark fanboys keep thinking Ark is the reason people bought the game, while a great many of the people I personally played with bought it because they saw "Pirates" "Survival sandbox". The game was marketed as a naval-based survival game full of pirates. Tames and such were hardly covered in the initial press releases that were shown literally days before the initial EA release when the vast majority of copies were purchased. Naivety to the fact that people wanted a pirate game does not change the fact that people wanted a pirate game.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Terrible launch, lag, tragedy (and slide show) called fountain of youth, nerfs of fun way to play (like fire arrows were first for me, than stone build with organic matter if I remember correctly), completely random deaths (like fleets of kill on sight sotd, whales, i don't remember what else), tone of carnivorous death on sight, unkillable flocks of alphas just after nerf of fire arrows, PvE ship sinking by players when you were offline, sinking ships by sotd when anchored near island, loosing claim because crocodile spawn next to shack, aotd and wolfs spawning inside animal pens and finally wipe... tarrot magic scraped (at least it looks like it)... Still no flying ships yet ( :( )... Claim overlapping... General level of griefing on PvE. Tide of thiefs when someone learned how to glitch into houses...  And this is only what i can come up from top of my head. 

All of that had nothing or not so much to do with those 50k people leaving? People left because atlas become too similar/not similar enough to ark?

Edit: Or was marketed as different flavor than it really is? 

Edit 2: typos.

Edited by Elrood
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For those who dont believe that EA of ATLAS is dying, just watch your Island and visitors, i hade plenty visitors for gold evry week, for over 2 months there is noone who came to dig up treasure on my island.

ATLAS Storyline looks like this.

AFTER WIPE
FIrst month
1)HOPE and excitement,  A LOT OF Player set sails to catch their Islands.
2)Taking Island, beeing polite to others, ppl were discovering gameplay, trying to build up as quickly as possible.
3)Making Alliance,  trying to keep up with neighbours cause they were bigger or just quicker. Gathering res , taming and trying to get gold.
4)Freeport were empty after this
Second and THIRD month.
1) Ppl had nothing to do, all they were dooing was waiting for another patch with new content or gathering more gold , making defence and watching fights .
2)MEGA vs MEGA vs MEGA and some MEGA were kicked out so they never came back they just left game and went to play ARK.

3)Freeport were still empty so there was actually nothing to do cause small company was afraid of raiding by big company so they were gathering res and trying to build great defence.

4)MEGA vs MEGA vs MEGA vs MEGA were still fighting so others were wtaching who will win or who take which island.

Fourth and Fifht month.

1)AFTER winning MEGA were establishing their Island, preparing to more fighting.

2)Freeport were still empty (that means no trading, no purpose to go there, no other players, nothing) so smaller company were leaving game after so many days of boring building and waiting for other company to raid them. Which was not coming. Most of them already quit game cause MEGA were starting to wipe smaller company.

3) Many Island have been left free.
4) Those who were still playing were making better ships or just trying to tame more Animals (BTW there is not much to tame)

Last Month

1)Freeports are still empty
2)There is nothing to do expect PvP 

3)That means MEGA have no enemy now so they wipe smaller company

4)PPL are leaving cause they have been building great defence but who cares....1 bear with cannon can wipe all their defence.
5)So they realised it have no sense to build anything cause sooner or later some guy will come with 1 bear and 1 cannon.
6)Smaller company have left ATLAS

7)MEGA Company are still trying to wipe all

Future Month
1) There will be nobody to play cause MEGA will have nobody to fight with.
2)Some players will play still PvE or Single player

3)Some of them will play non dedicated

4)........

Thats all folks

PS: Game is made in this way so you can easly revuild what you lost on other islands but the problem is you dont want to. Not cause you lost much, its because you didnt had fair fight. 

Edited by Cascco
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To which I say this: no one is contesting that Atlas is doing poorly. I see the same things you’re saying about activity in my zones, rather there is a difference between doing poorly and dead, and Atlas is not dead. To those who would claim that it is a foregone conclusion, I have three words for them:

No Man’s Sky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atlas isn't dead,  It has issue's and the Dev's are clearly working on them the best they can.  They read our posts,  take our input and move forward the best they can.    Tweaks are coming the game is EA -  The potential is still huge,  once everything gets locked down, worked out, and re-mastered.   Then they can market the Re-Launch of Atlas 2.0.

Till then those of us who remain loyal, will continue to provide support, our input, and the game will get better.     All good things take time. 

Now if they could fix the darn problem with "enemy foundation" to close    I'd be a happy camper..    It kills my OCD when i cannot complete a project.   lol

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dosgimp said:

Atlas isn't dead,  It has issue's and the Dev's are clearly working on them the best they can.  They read our posts,  take our input and move forward the best they can.    Tweaks are coming the game is EA -  The potential is still huge,  once everything gets locked down, worked out, and re-mastered.   Then they can market the Re-Launch of Atlas 2.0.

Till then those of us who remain loyal, will continue to provide support, our input, and the game will get better.     All good things take time. 

Now if they could fix the darn problem with "enemy foundation" to close    I'd be a happy camper..    It kills my OCD when i cannot complete a project.   lol

 

 

Our half finished dock agrees with your last point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hold back the obituaries, Always check for a pulse first.I don't see the game as dead at all,going through changes yeh,but not dead.Like I've said before some people just get bored on mmo's,try something else for a while and then come back .ESO was absolutely packed in it's glory days,it's not now.WOW has slumps too.Just give Atlas time it's early days yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well since game launch day 1 we have played NA PVE and have always lived on lawless (nonsense claim system).  Atlas may not be dead but it's dying out quickly. Case in point: for whatever the reasons, for the past few months, the number of players in our zone has been in the single digits with very few exceptions. I play to interact and have fun with others but there's hardly anyone around anymore so we only log in to reset timer and feed critters and that will probably end soon. Get out, explore, go to where the players are you say? Well I only have 1 monitor and spending my time staring at it for hours to get anywhere in this game is not entertaining or fun which is the reason I for one play video games in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

to OP

 

the Creatures like a bear do have 1000 base health if you find a high lvl with all points into health, then you can skill to maybe 2k life

with a mythical carbine you need 4 shots to kill this animal.

a normal bear is oneshot.

the problem is that a normal bear is op against noobs and unarmed ppl.

 

 

the goldcost is reduced by 2 or 4 times as it was at the beginning

 

 

the rest of the game will evolve in development, that is right now.

maybe they should add this flying ship from the atlas cover or a portal to travel faster or a spell, because sailing is boring atm...

but rafting in cyclones was great

 

a navy fleet would be great tho 

Edited by photek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be honest i'd love an airship,not a full modern looking one but a ship base with a balloon on top,and fast travel on the sea i'm a total advocate for,I don't think it would harm the game at all.I remember being shouted down for the merest suggestion of fast travel a while ago cos they said it would make the game too easy,now people complain it's too grindy.As for a fleet commander i'd love to see that as a skill like a podium.This game is early days and I hope it goes the distance cos I still play it everyday.This game isn't public owned,we don't have shares, which means we can make suggestions like we do but we can't just throw a tantrum cos we don't get our own way.  Ok we all paid for the game, but for the amount of hours i've played it was money well spent.There are other games i've bought for a lot more that have only lasted 50-80 hours and they are over.The good news is steam reviews are now getting better for the game,so it might start bringing players in,and back.But if people want to see more players then i'd recommend mentioning the positives about atlas too.Cos there are a lot of them,and like i say, it is still early days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You add anything airship, steampunk, and its just not a good idea right now.   Im all for it.   But lets make that the end goal mods and keep it from official.   New boats that let you sail faster lets do it.    cargo boats that let you haul 30 containers but at the cost of 5knots max okay.      Altas aint there yet..   in time..  be patient,...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×