ShadowFlea

How Atlas died.... :(

Fast travel of some kind wouldn't hurt the game,also pve players in the main have a very different outlook about future updates or additions than pvp'ers do. I think although we have separate forums,they do crossover from time to time with ideas etc.as for patience well at my age time is quite a precious commodity now..

2 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

Fast travel of some kind wouldn't hurt the game,also pve players in the main have a very different outlook about future updates or additions than pvp'ers do. I think although we have separate forums,they do crossover from time to time with ideas etc.as for patience well at my age time is quite a precious commodity now..

They do have fast travel, that's what the beds are for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2019 at 2:15 AM, Realist said:

I can usually jump on a band wagon but I just let this one pass by.

i was fully expecting an ark stand alone that was meant to be a DLC but they decided they want to make more money bu making it an ark stand alone. That is exactly what I got.

the problem is they went too far away from ark with the crappy claim system. I really haven’t seen a worse idea in any other video game.

i would definitely like to let you know that I fully respect your opinion. I am glad you are trying to be helpful, I really am and just because I disagree with you, I would never want you to feel as if your opinion was not validated. Only people of poor character would do that.

I do definitely disagree though. The saving grace would be one of two options.

1. Making it even more like ark(no claims)

2. Making it a true mmo and have the main aspect nothing but quests. Who cares about exploring, it should be an option not a necessity. That was a really stupid idea. The main form of leveling should come from quests. You make a map that takes hours to get around(stupid) and then make that the main way to level? Yeah way to go wildcard.

if they keep that stupid exploring do crap I am literally just going to sail all over the globe to gain the do and then stay put right when I build my base after leveling. Sorry, not going to do it. You might make me step foot on every island once, but I guarantee it will never happen again.

now, if you make me travel to an island because a “quest” tells me too??? Yeah if I am getting WoW style exp you will see me traveling to every damn island, every damn day. This gives us content and story.

sorry but if all I need is a discovery point, I won’t be back plain and simple.

anyways man, thanks for sharing. Your opinion will always be welcome with me.

Like 1.000 times before:

You never played ATLAS. You have 0 hours, because you are waiting for console release.

Dont judge a game what you never played.........!!!!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Puppies4ever said:

Like 1.000 times before:

You never played ATLAS. You have 0 hours, because you are waiting for console release.

As the VAST majority of people who've actually played the game have decided that it's not worth playing, maybe the opinion of those who stayed don't matter much either.  Especially the ones who say things like "it's EARLY ACCESS" or "maybe it's just not the game for you" or "don't worry, the devs know what they are doing".

• Like 1

The moral of the story is Atlas has gone from over 55k to under 4k peak daily users. That is a substantial issue and it is a fair statement to say the game is dying as you see monthly peaks declining constantly until a steam sale pops up then it raises for a bit then drops again. I truly think they have a gold mine here but they are going the wrong way with it. The building and survival aspects they brought over from Ark are amazing and people love that. The issue is the Ark creatures they pulled take from it as well as the lack of a relevant AI enemy that people could fight which would provoke an intense amount of game play. Options being adding some sort of Royal Navy that even has bases i.e. military forts consistent with this era to raid by players. It's important in a PvP environment to have a third "neutral" faction of AI that can also add to the fray of fighting. Instead you get people who are bored and want to go sink ships either trying to find ghost ships which are relatively easy to kill or going to beat up on some others that may be just getting established which ruins their fun and they leave.

If they added an AI Royal Navy that players could get into conflict with and board their ships and have direct conflict with would be incredible. That is what people were hoping for. Atlas will always have mod support which will help all those people who want the huge creatures and crazy other stuff. But the community has essentially spoken about what they think of where Atlas is going by 50k of the 58k players essentially leaving the game. That can't be ignored.

• Like 1

I could be wrong,but from reading the forums pvp is losing more players than pve,So I just don't believe adding more conflict will be the answer.I do understand that both pve and pvp players do see the game differently to each other.There are plenty of online fighting games already well established,Becoming more like them I don't see as the answer.Btw I didn't realize you could fast travel your ships by the bed now,incredible,now if I can just make my ship small enough......

4 hours ago, ShadowFlea said:

The moral of the story is Atlas has gone from over 55k to under 4k peak daily users. That is a substantial issue and it is a fair statement to say the game is dying as you see monthly peaks declining constantly until a steam sale pops up then it raises for a bit then drops again. I truly think they have a gold mine here but they are going the wrong way with it. The building and survival aspects they brought over from Ark are amazing and people love that. The issue is the Ark creatures they pulled take from it as well as the lack of a relevant AI enemy that people could fight which would provoke an intense amount of game play. Options being adding some sort of Royal Navy that even has bases i.e. military forts consistent with this era to raid by players. It's important in a PvP environment to have a third "neutral" faction of AI that can also add to the fray of fighting. Instead you get people who are bored and want to go sink ships either trying to find ghost ships which are relatively easy to kill or going to beat up on some others that may be just getting established which ruins their fun and they leave.

If they added an AI Royal Navy that players could get into conflict with and board their ships and have direct conflict with would be incredible. That is what people were hoping for. Atlas will always have mod support which will help all those people who want the huge creatures and crazy other stuff. But the community has essentially spoken about what they think of where Atlas is going by 50k of the 58k players essentially leaving the game. That can't be ignored.

There isn't just a lack of a relevant AI enemy, when it comes down to it PvP is meant for Mega Companies.  It's either them or small groups with a lot of time on there hands going around and sinking ships/wiping small bases.  Why do that do that?  Because the goal of any survival game (well, survival with PvP) is to chase everyone else off the server.  And people are either consciously trying to do that, or simply following that pattern of play (ie, "that's how survival games are supposed to be played").  Even if they added an AI enemy won't stop people from sinking ships, etc.  Boredom is only part of the issue.

Three things are needed.  1) That everyone can participate in conflicts, Mega Companies along side smaller companies and solo players.  2) A reason for conflicts as well are rewarding participation and rewarding certain actions.  Conflicts that have clearly marked opponents as well as clearly marked neutral parties.  And 3) a system that discourages players for the behaviors that chase a lot of people off the servers (sinking ships "4 teh lulz", raiding/wiping small bases "jus cus u can").

• Like 1

It's funny to see all these people on this forum speaking about the dead of atlas, watching the peak of player on steam and everybody give his opinion and say what the dev should do for pvp or pve server and i think that's the problem.

Atlas is for me too focus on official server network. Some people want to play in large group, some in smaller and other solo or just with friend.
Some people want to have a nice pve game for shooting AI, some want to kill other player and other want to have a place to live and have neighbours, alliance and make some expedition together.

Some people want to keep an hardcore gameplay and some want to just play sometime because they have "a life", other want difficulty but not too much.

There is tons of possible gameplay as there is people.
That's why i think, trying to make an unique official server (PVP or/and PVE) who can regroup everybody, with all the different desire seem's to be impossible.

Solo and non dedicated server had to be done for some people who want to play like this.
Official should be destinated for active and daily player.

And non official server for all the different kind of gameplay wanted.

This is the direction they should keep for the development of the game like any other survival game.

Actually when i read, the raze of all the building after 48 hours of a new claim is a pvp system in pve server, because sometime, owned doesn't connect for days and doesn't check their claim. It's like "wtf is going on here". Actually if nobody connect during day for checking up the flag, it's just a solo player who have a claim and if he want to play just sometime, he can just join an unofficial server who have a bigger rates of gold and he put 10 k of gold in his flag and he will have enough for a week or he can play in singleplayer.

And this example can work for everything, if you can't play on official, because there is too much grind on the official, just go on unofficial or non dedicated. Some server have token only for pvp or smaller combat time duration for exemple.

Now about official, so many people speak about the problem of mega company, one easy solution is to limit company to 15/20 people and max ally to 3 other company.
The problem we have today is because mega tribe can be more than 60 AND ally to other mega tribe, so you can get alliance of hundred of people.

And today when a company have 60 members, there is like 15-20 member connected on a peak time. But if you have a company with 75 people ally with 3 other company of 75 people, you got more than 60 people on a peak time. And that's how you get wipe a massive number of player.

About unofficial now, there is not enough documentation and option for helping creator and admin for making unique server. Need to search hours and hours on internet for finding some config parameters for config your server like you want. And most of them are only basic configuration like rates, stats of tame, lvl max etc...
Modder who want to make ship, new stuff, gameplay mecanic need to search on ark documentation for maybe find how work their game so they can create stuff for the community.

Just look at the workshop and you will see that 80% of the mod have been made during the launch of atlas (mostly by ark modder) and now they left and go back to ark so there is not many new mod since month and old mod have been abandon. Because even if some player who love atlas want to create stuff, there is no help and documentation for creating mod on atlas because there is nothing for understand how work the game.

Just for an exemple, after searching days, i found where we can change the stats per level of a ship and it's look like this:

4e4af867fc8f19973c9fe48d82a2e2f8.png

Like 0.05 stamina for 5% damage per level,

0.08 Torpidity for 8% resistance per level

80 food for 80kg of weight per level ... ETC

I can't imagine searching stuff about how works claimflag xD

That's all i wanted to say ^^

Like i've said before in the forums the players don't own the game,we just play it.at the end of the day the game designers have their own agenda and that's life. I like Atlas a lot and play it more than any other game I have.Yeh there are things i'd like to see,or not to see etc,but I really enjoy the game.If there was one thing that has been a definite problem for me since the start its the server lag.But when I play sp it's totally lag free which is why I love playing it.The devs have and are doing their best to please the majority of players,but at the end of the day you can't please everyone,and as for player numbers going up and down that happens on every mmo I have ever played,most of them are still going and still having player base fluctuations.

I think alot of players will return when there is just more content. You can plow through all the endgame stuff with a small group of people in a couple of weeks. People aren't happy doing day to day things. Part of the reason ark made it so you needed to tame almost every dino to have kibble for everything.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, seruum said:

I think alot of players will return when there is just more content. You can plow through all the endgame stuff with a small group of people in a couple of weeks. People aren't happy doing day to day things. Part of the reason ark made it so you needed to tame almost every dino to have kibble for everything.

Yeah but if you were paying attention you figured out pretty quick you needed an anky, a doed, a beaver, a Ptera to get around, a quetz to move your farmers, snails for cp, good rexes for breeding, wolves for caves, and everything else was highly optional, even a lot of stuff that is awesome, like bears.

Still, I got 4K hours in Ark, so it’s not like they didn’t give you anything to do.

Edited by boomervoncannon

13 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Yeah but if you were paying attention you figured out pretty quick you needed an anky, a doed, a beaver, a Ptera to get around, a quetz to move your farmers, snails for cp, good rexes for breeding, wolves for caves, and everything else was highly optional, even a lot of stuff that is awesome, like bears.

Still, I got 4K hours in Ark, so it’s not like they didn’t give you anything to do.

Yeah but its been 2 whole hours and Im bored!

For me, switched to PVE because, my ships were either sunk while I was offline, my base and and supplies destroyed, or similar actions would take place on a regular basis.  Finally joined a larger company for protection,  and they would have strict rules, take over the base I had built, or take my ship out when I was offline and get it sunk.  There is no fun in a game where after logging in, you find you are starting over again.  It is PVE or single player from here on out.

22 minutes ago, rufierto said:

There is no fun in a game where after logging in, you find you are starting over again.

Should have gone to a claimed island with a good owner and live as a settler... as intended...

1 hour ago, rufierto said:

For me, switched to PVE because, my ships were either sunk while I was offline, my base and and supplies destroyed, or similar actions would take place on a regular basis.  Finally joined a larger company for protection,  and they would have strict rules, take over the base I had built, or take my ship out when I was offline and get it sunk.  There is no fun in a game where after logging in, you find you are starting over again.  It is PVE or single player from here on out.

Had exactly the same with the thing that I've started on PvE and after all the drama decided that pvp amount on pve was not worth it. Single player for the win. 

On 7/20/2019 at 8:24 PM, Whitehawk said:

I could be wrong,but from reading the forums pvp is losing more players than pve,So I just don't believe adding more conflict will be the answer.I do understand that both pve and pvp players do see the game differently to each other.There are plenty of online fighting games already well established,Becoming more like them I don't see as the answer.Btw I didn't realize you could fast travel your ships by the bed now,incredible,now if I can just make my ship small enough......

As long they don't fix all the bugs and glitches and keep making raiding easier with each patch they will continue to bleed ppl on PvP-Server.

It's simply no fun to get roflstomped and your stuff destroyed by someone you can't dmg at all or defend against. If you are 3 ppl hitting a guy and you have journeyman-stuff but he takes 0 (!!!!) dmg and kills all 3 as example, what do you think ppl will do? Simply leave.
I won't even bother to repeat how broken the NPC Ai is with the entire not shooting when they should.

There is to much inbalance in the game in so many diffrent ways that PvP is simply not viable anymore.

Put trade winds into the game a fast traveling system that allows players a risk/reward for using  this system.  Some risks would be that players could setup ambushes on the route to pick off players etc.

Companies need restrictions on who they can attack.  Large companies should only have the option of taking on other large companies.  Let the smaller tribes fight one another or have an option to allow them to also be attacked by larger companies if so chosen.

Fix the horrible building concept. When you go to build a structure and you have this huge gap in your wall for no reason other then bad mechanics something like this needs to of been fixed during the first couple weeks.

New upcoming patches are addressing additional content.  However stuff like the kraken needs to occur not in a static point on the map but as a response trigger to large fleets sailing around together.  If a fleet of lets say 3 galleons, 8 brigs etc are traveling around the kraken should be able to spontaneously spawn to disrupts large fleets. The bigger then fleet the harder the Kraken and with that the greater the reward if the kraken is defeated.  This should happen anywhere on the map.  

Static cave events like the cold weather cave should not be a one time use. We can't have content that is only used once and its done it creates dead areas on the map.  Maybe after doing a quest the dungeon unlocks so maybe a rare material spawns in the cave that can only be found here.  This will allow pvp areas to be contested and sought after.

We need more events at sea maybe spawning ghost ships on people. Or something like black beards revenge where a ghost fleet will pop up on players or fleets of players these encounters are of hard to extremely hard difficulty and would allow a greater risk/reward system as far as loot obtained for defeating these encounters.  These encounters are random and once again anyplace on the map will be vulnerable to these encounters.  The bigger the fleet the harder the spawn small fleets have an easier encounter and all these encounters can be dismissed by just traveling away from the encounter so if you don't want to do this event you can get out of doing it.

More ship and sail types, more skins, make defensive land structures actually work and make them less trivial right now no defensive structure stands a chance against a player.  

Make the combat window for a company 4 hrs or a war token still allowing 24hrs.  Right now nobody can keep up with a 9 hr window every single day people have to work, school etc.  this is forcing people out of the game due to it feeling like a job and not a game.  I would even suggest as a gold sink allowing players the ability to not have a combat window at all forcing tribes to war declare them if they so choose to attack such an opponent.  If a company doesn't want to be attacked they will have to pay for this ability which could be one means of a gold sink.

I think one of the problems that's arising is the differing opinions between pve players and pvp players.I get it that the company want to make changes and add things but the two player bases sometimes see those changes very differently.The only way to please everyone would be to update them separately with different additions,and I don't see that happening.I really see why they added multi mode onto sp,I think they've gone a long way to trying to please people by doing sp and multi too.

I actually would love to see them add some Royal Navy content, even a made up Faction for it, not an earth historical one, in (current state of the world as apposed to ancient state of what it once was). So far the game just doesn't pop as being Alive beyond the players.

The only thing that stirs the imagination even a little  are the static finds, the shipwrecks and The random buildings you may find.. Same thing.

I don't see them and really think, What happened here.. instead , I think.. Oh , another randomly placed asset...  It would be nice to add to those static objects.. Give each of them a story and one that is more Current than the "pre-history of the world".  That's what the explorer notes did for Ark. 🙂

Edited by Liatni

On 7/19/2019 at 9:13 PM, Puppies4ever said:

Like 1.000 times before:

It is probably time to start listening to the people that haven’t played because if they ever want a player base bigger than the 2k that still play they will realize it is time to make some changes.

i mean really man, sure let’s let them listen to the few people that play and say everything is fine. Cool, let’s keep everything exactly the way it is because everything is fine. Part of me hopes they do it just for a good lesson learned.

the other part hopes they realize that there is a reason that 100’s of thou sands aren’t playing and 2k are. Seems like they might be listening to the wrong people to be honest.

12 minutes ago, Realist said:

It is probably time to start listening to the people that haven’t played because if they ever want a player base bigger than the 2k that still play they will realize it is time to make some changes.

i mean really man, sure let’s let them listen to the few people that play and say everything is fine. Cool, let’s keep everything exactly the way it is because everything is fine. Part of me hopes they do it just for a good lesson learned.

the other part hopes they realize that there is a reason that 100’s of thou sands aren’t playing and 2k are. Seems like they might be listening to the wrong people to be honest.

The problem with your premise is the notion that those that are playing are all telling them things are fine. This is observably not true and you should realize this. Those that are making many of the suggestions for change and improvements should be listened to before those who have never played, precisely because their input is based upon actual game experience, not second hand knowledge.  

Just because you might be spending money at some undetermined point in the future does not make your advice and suggestions somehow more valuable than those of people who have already paid, have actual experience, and may also be paying again in the future for cosmetics etc. (which is how this thing will really pay for itself if ever.) 

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2019 at 3:26 PM, Whitehawk said:

I think one of the problems that's arising is the differing opinions between pve players and pvp players.I get it that the company want to make changes and add things but the two player bases sometimes see those changes very differently.The only way to please everyone would be to update them separately with different additions,and I don't see that happening.I really see why they added multi mode onto sp,I think they've gone a long way to trying to please people by doing sp and multi too.

The problem you are pointing out is both true and present in nearly every game with ongoing development that attempts to offer both pve and pvp. Developers wish to offer both modes in order to attract as many potential players as possible, but having largely separate development becomes cumbersome and requires at some point either more staff or less getting done. Most of the time this leads to games that try to make one size fit all, usually to the complete satisfaction of no one.

I promise you fully that this same issue, with the same sorts of opposing voices and the same endless debates where pve and pvp camps belitte each other and claim the other side is the source of all the crying, whining and problems, was present in City of Heroes when I first began playing online games in 2004, and has been present in every MMO with both modes I've played since.

Some things never change.

Edited by boomervoncannon

4 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

The problem with your premise is the notion that those that are playing are all telling them things are fine. This is observably not true and you should realize this. Those that are making many of the suggestions for change and improvements should be listened to before those who have never played, precisely because their input is based upon actual game experience, not second hand knowledge.  

Just because you might be spending money at some undetermined point in the future does not make your advice and suggestions somehow more valuable than those of people who have already paid, have actual experience, and may also be paying again in the future for cosmetics etc. (which is how this thing will really pay for itself if ever.) 

I like you boomer, but I can only half agree with you on everything. First off I didn’t say my opinion was more important. I am however saying that regardless of someone playing the game that also doesn’t make their opinion anymore important than mine. That you need to realize as well. I don’t care if I haven’t played the game. I know what I like and I know what I want. If they want my money, which any business would want my money then I will make sure to tell them what I want. After that it is their decision if they really want my money.

it isnt for a consumer to decide if what I want is right or wrong. It is for the business to decide that. I come off as those people not being important for the main fact that them thinking my opinion is not important is of no importance to anyone which it is not.

and yes, it is very true that people actually suggesting changes is very important and as you have seen I have taken those suggestions very seriously. Also you have seen my reaction to the “everything is fine”  aspect with is really not a suggestion in the first place. Especially with how everything is going right now. So no, I have to disagree with “everything is fine”. And no I never once said “all” playing are saying that. You fed me those words just now boomer.

i have reacted kindly to plenty of the “players” that are still playing. I was pretty disappointed at that statement.

Just now, Realist said:

I like you boomer, but I can only half agree with you on everything. First off I didn’t say my opinion was more important. I am however saying that regardless of someone playing the game that also doesn’t make their opinion anymore important than mine. That you need to realize as well. I don’t care if I haven’t played the game. I know what I like and I know what I want. If they want my money, which any business would want my money then I will make sure to tell them what I want. After that it is their decision if they really want my money.

it isnt for a consumer to decide if what I want is right or wrong. It is for the business to decide that. I come off as those people not being important for the main fact that them thinking my opinion is not important is of no importance to anyone which it is not.

and yes, it is very true that people actually suggesting changes is very important and as you have seen I have taken those suggestions very seriously. Also you have seen my reaction to the “everything is fine”  aspect with is really not a suggestion in the first place. Especially with how everything is going right now. So no, I have to disagree with “everything is fine”. And no I never once said “all” playing are saying that. You fed me those words just now boomer.

i have reacted kindly to plenty of the “players” that are still playing. I was pretty disappointed at that statement.

I am saying that a very particular kind of opinion, their feedback on the game, should be regarded as more valuable than yours by the developers, because it is based on common sense. There is a reason former professional athletes are forever hired as commentators on the games they used to play. It is because their first hand experience gives them greater insight when commenting, all other things being equal. 

No one is suggesting anything regarding right or wrong, so I'm not sure why you're bringing  that up. I'm also pretty sure I didn't imply that everything is fine or that that is what the developers should listen to when soliciting feedback. I'm disagreeing on one very specific point: that you asserted it would be better for the devs to listen to those with no play experience than those who have it, on the basis of earning your potential future business.  This isn't to say that GrapeCard should discount the opinions of those who might buy in the future as to what they want out of the game, that's perfectly valid and useful market research. But any CEO can tell you that market research is, while valuable, generally less valuable than customer satisfaction research, especially when customer satisfaction is low and needs to be improved.

• Like 1