GCDragonfli

building Building System is Terrible

The Building System in this game is terrible ..

Floors do not stack as they should .. Should be whole floor block stacking on another .. not a half block

Walls do Not turn the same direction .. even using the " Q " to rotate .. Just tried that .. one side of base walls are facing one direction and they Will Not turn the same direction on the other side .. even using the " Q " or going into fly mode to look from different .

Roofs are about the only thing that is about right and workable.  

BUT >> Floors and Walls really need alot of work .. ( Have tried it Vanilla and Modded ) NOT Something to write home about.

Also .. with the collision turned OFF .. it isn't great. ( seen better in game that just out and building is a main topic in the game for Many players .. especially in SP )

Just a few thoughts

• Like 2

Wait until someone demolishes a completely seperate building piece on the other side of your island and half your bloody castle comes down.

Edited by seruum

There's a lot that needs to be done to the building system to make it decent.  Smaller pieces, more angles, better textures.  The scale of some of the building pieces is so oversized it's hard to build anything that looks like it would fit into a normal "pirate-y" landscape.  Everything's dino-sized.

Paint doesn't work well on most of the building pieces and everywhere you go, it's a sea of brown and gray.   That's especially bad in the tropics where you'd expect to see some caribbean tropical colors..

18 hours ago, GCDragonfli said:

Floors do not stack as they should .. Should be whole floor block stacking on another .. not a half block

Walls do Not turn the same direction .. even using the " Q " to rotate .. Just tried that .. one side of base walls are facing one direction and they Will Not turn the same direction on the other side .. even using the " Q " or going into fly mode to look from different .

Also .. with the collision turned OFF .. it isn't great. ( seen better in game that just out and building is a main topic in the game for Many players .. especially in SP )

Floors - it should be half block because half block is smallest distance you can work with (half stairs). its cheap enough. Otherwise you would have to make 4 half-walls and ceiling. 5 elements. Instead you have one. 2 for full height.

Walls turn proper direction, you just need to have proper snap points. Q cycle between snap points so its useless in that regard. "E" key rotate them 180 degree on current snap point. You are using wrong key for that. 

Roofs are the biggest problem because of how snapping points are not aligned between roofs and ceiling/foundation. impossibility to snap wooden roofs if you want to create "support" structure for extended ceiling:
____
\     |
  \   |
    \ |     
This type of triangle using ceiling, foundation and roof is irritating as hell because of snap points and mesh roof mesh being a bit too big. Not to mention you have to make temporary structures to even make it work in some cases.

Collision turned off works great for me. I would love to see better building system which is not voxel based/minecraft like. I have seen as good one as this. Better? Only in terms of number of content (so number of materials, peaces, etc).

1 hour ago, Winter Thorne said:

The scale of some of the building pieces is so oversized it's hard to build anything that looks like it would fit into a normal "pirate-y" landscape.  Everything's dino-sized.  

Completely disagree with that. From my point of view, only gates are over-sized. Everything else is quite nice and comfortable.

I would love some more variety (double doors? more textures, more types of walls, more window possibilities, glass?, better paint support), easier to distinguish when meshes will properly fit together... But the system is perfectly fine for me. 

edit :
More snapping points for pillars whould also be nice. Like proper snapping for foundation corners. But again, its solvable. I would rather have those kind of limitation than have to deal with decimal point accuracy. 

Edited by Elrood

I'll have to take another look at the wall .. rotating them with "E" .. game didn't say anything about "E" .. so never tried.

Floors would be nice to able to use the up and down keys on for adjustment in height .. as other game do.

Would love to have left hand and right hand doors .. get tired of games that only have 1 way swing.

But as a SP .. my main thing is Building AWESOME ..

Thanks for the response.  

Edit .. By the way .. I just finished up most of my ship's dock .. and it took over 600 of the floor piece to build and in any other game I play .. it would have been maybe 250 to 300 blocks, because of the way they stack. Just a thought .. but it done now almost.

Edited by GCDragonfli
spelling

On 7/18/2019 at 10:09 AM, GCDragonfli said:

BUT >> Floors and Walls really need alot of work .. ( Have tried it Vanilla and Modded ) NOT Something to write home about.

Just a few thoughts

Absolutely right...  The building in this game leaves a lot to be desired...

I think building is a clear attempt to improve on Ark's building and it succeeds more than it fails, like the snap toggle, types toggle, you can go out and build 50 roof pieces while gathering to reduce weight and figure it out when you get back to base what configuration you want, in other games if you don't make the exact right one, you wasted half the resources.

Water pipes need some love though, not being able to place them without already having a water source makes some ugly pipe routes, the indoor water pipe is basically useless cause you have to connect to a source and foundation, but no water sources snap to foundations, so getting pipes to line up with a foundation perfectly is impossible.  And trying to connect a reservoir to a water pipe, it just snaps below it no matter how hard you try to line it up and won't actually collect water from the pipe.  I had one pipe visually in line with my railing on my bridge at one end and a zigzagging mess by the time it got to my base cause it was just slightly off.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ibbette said:

I think building is a clear attempt to improve on Ark's building and it succeeds more than it fails, like the snap toggle, types toggle, you can go out and build 50 roof pieces while gathering to reduce weight and figure it out when you get back to base what configuration you want, in other games if you don't make the exact right one, you wasted half the resources.

Water pipes need some love though, not being able to place them without already having a water source makes some ugly pipe routes, the indoor water pipe is basically useless cause you have to connect to a source and foundation, but no water sources snap to foundations, so getting pipes to line up with a foundation perfectly is impossible.  And trying to connect a reservoir to a water pipe, it just snaps below it no matter how hard you try to line it up and won't actually collect water from the pipe.  I had one pipe visually in line with my railing on my bridge at one end and a zigzagging mess by the time it got to my base cause it was just slightly off.

I trully agree, it's soooo much better than the old one of Ark.
I actually enjoy build in Atlas ^^
While Ark was a real pain sometimes x)

you also have to understand the construction system ... I spend about 95% of my playing time building various buildings or sets and now I have no worries about handling ghosts, there are two simple keys (Q) (E) [querty] and the power of manipulation everything is simple and no need to have a fly and move in all directions are enough to look at the target and then adjust (without moving) the desired positioning of the ghost nothing wizard . sorry for the bad translation.

On 7/18/2019 at 10:09 AM, GCDragonfli said:

Just a few thoughts

All they have to do is learn from Conan as far as their building goes. We are talking straight up.

lowering and raising foundations will save everyone sooooo much time. Really shouldn’t be that difficult 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ibbette said:

Have never played Ark!  Nor will I ever....

If its improved since Ark then it must be pretty crap in Ark!!!

Many games do building far better then Atlas...

7 days to die

Conan

Empyrion

Rust

Just to name a few off the top of my head....  Lets stop making excuses for poor execution and start demanding results!

Seriously who cares if its better then Ark, that's like telling the Gym Teachers who expects you to do 8 Pull ups and you do 3 that hey you only could do 2 Pull ups the last time you tested....  

• Like 1

The Option to Raise the height of a foundation would be awesome And Save alot of structures which would result in better FPS for Plenty of Players.what i am mostly missing is the Lack of decorations And the Option to let lanterns beein refilled by the tax bank/flag so you Dont Need to spend an Hour to get some Decent light in your town for One Day just to refill everything again the next Day 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 4:36 AM, Elrood said:

Floors - it should be half block because half block is smallest distance you can work with (half stairs). its cheap enough. Otherwise you would have to make 4 half-walls and ceiling. 5 elements. Instead you have one. 2 for full height.

Walls turn proper direction, you just need to have proper snap points. Q cycle between snap points so its useless in that regard. "E" key rotate them 180 degree on current snap point. You are using wrong key for that. 

Roofs are the biggest problem because of how snapping points are not aligned between roofs and ceiling/foundation. impossibility to snap wooden roofs if you want to create "support" structure for extended ceiling:
____
\     |
  \   |
    \ |     
This type of triangle using ceiling, foundation and roof is irritating as hell because of snap points and mesh roof mesh being a bit too big. Not to mention you have to make temporary structures to even make it work in some cases.

Collision turned off works great for me. I would love to see better building system which is not voxel based/minecraft like. I have seen as good one as this. Better? Only in terms of number of content (so number of materials, peaces, etc).

Completely disagree with that. From my point of view, only gates are over-sized. Everything else is quite nice and comfortable.

I would love some more variety (double doors? more textures, more types of walls, more window possibilities, glass?, better paint support), easier to distinguish when meshes will properly fit together... But the system is perfectly fine for me. 

edit :
More snapping points for pillars whould also be nice. Like proper snapping for foundation corners. But again, its solvable. I would rather have those kind of limitation than have to deal with decimal point accuracy. 

Yeah Conan does any awesome job with their building. The ability to raise and lower foundations I completely awesome. They really need that.

8 minutes ago, zottel said:

The Option to Raise the height of a foundation would be awesome And Save alot of structures which would result in better FPS for Plenty of Players.what i am mostly missing is the Lack of decorations And the Option to let lanterns beein refilled by the tax bank/flag so you Dont Need to spend an Hour to get some Decent light in your town for One Day just to refill everything again the next Day 

That is what I was telling the other guy. Raising and lowering foundations was a god send in Conan. Plus Conan had plenty of decorations as well. 

It is good to learn from other games that have gotten it right 

• Like 1

Yeah i loved the wall Mounts 😄 but conan sadly Lacked so much content that it was only fun for a Short period. Which reminds me of the Named NPCs slaves One could have,which would be a cool addition to get from sotds And they can add some int to a Crafting Station or so,not much just like +50 more int if you have one And that one is bound to the Smithy or so he was places at.

6 minutes ago, zottel said:

Yeah i loved the wall Mounts 😄 but conan sadly Lacked so much content that it was only fun for a Short period. Which reminds me of the Named NPCs slaves One could have,which would be a cool addition to get from sotds And they can add some int to a Crafting Station or so,not much just like +50 more int if you have one And that one is bound to the Smithy or so he was places at.

My head is spinning!!!

Conan lacks content....  But the fact you are posting here on the atlas forums "Imply's that Atlas has more content?"

At this point I am definitely confused as Conan has far more content then Atlas in my mind....

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 7:09 PM, GCDragonfli said:

Just a few thoughts

alright

Q............ is for the snap points, it does not rotate anything

if you want to rotate press E

the T button you know i guess.

the only thing we are missing is ramp corners and ramp valleys, and half ramps, and half ramps and stairs being able to snap upwards, and roof and ramps having the same collision query

if you want to build shiny go conan

no collision is off on public servers for reasons

• Thanks 1

Wait what was that about a snap toggle? The number of hours I've spent doing place, pick up, place, pick up, place, pick up because I either can't see all that I'm placing (lighthouses, backs of grills, shipyard that end behind me even with 3rd person view) or I can't adjust the view until I've locked it in at which point its too late if its wrong and I have to start fresh because i've moved. I'd love an ability to toggle a snap lock on with a lot of things that will click a grill or shipyard to a certain point so I can work from there.

7 hours ago, zottel said:

Yeah I always said that Conan got right what ark got wrong and ark got right what Conan got wrong.

if either one actually learned from the other they could both be flawless.

atlas need to learn from a few games.

conan was easy mode 

ark was hard mode 

atlas is Depeche Mode 😂

7 hours ago, Sulfurblade said:

My head is spinning!!!

Conan lacks content....  But the fact you are posting here on the atlas forums "Imply's that Atlas has more content?"

At this point I am definitely confused as Conan has far more content then Atlas in my mind....

I really liked the religions

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Realist said:

Yeah I always said that Conan got right what ark got wrong and ark got right what Conan got wrong.

if either one actually learned from the other they could both be flawless.

atlas need to learn from a few games.

conan was easy mode 

ark was hard mode 

atlas is Depeche Mode 😂

I really liked the religions

I never played Conan, but a group of folks whose judgement and acumen i have high regard for from my Ark community tried Conan and all said pretty much the exact same thing you said about Conan and Ark being like two halves of a flawed but potentially perfect coin.

LOL@ Atlas is Depeche Mode

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

I never played Conan, but a group of folks whose judgement and acumen i have high regard for from my Ark community tried Conan and all said pretty much the exact same thing you said about Conan and Ark being like two halves of a flawed but potentially perfect coin.

LOL@ Atlas is Depeche Mode

They weren’t joking either. When I first started playing Conan is was like a deja vu experience. Then I envisioned two very complex puzzles just coming together and fitting perfectly.

it was a good experience but disappointing at the same time because they could have easily borrowed things from the other.

either way they were both good games and I know atlas can be as well. They have to learn from mistakes though or there is no hope.

• Thanks 1